• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdlow

So, I'm looking for a clock widget that shows the time in 3 different places (my city, Los Angeles and London), but the ones I've found on Play Store are all stuck in Gingerbread era.

Does anyone knows a widget that looks good and show all the information I want?

Blackhead

Redarse
The 4.4 update makes non-chrome browsers as slow as chrome because of the new Chrome WebView.

Dolphin Browser on 4.3 >>>> Dophin Browser on 4.4 / Google Chrome

What a shame... I miss the original WebKit webview already. No more smooth scrolling on theverge.com :-/ (except for people with a Nexus 5 or similar fast devices)
whoa dolphion browser is working already?! Did it require an update? does quick ics browser work on 4.4?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Remember when Sprint used to cut back on bloatware

BZNW04dCUAApFC8.jpg:large

Cipherr

Remember when Sprint used to cut back on bloatware

BZNW04dCUAApFC8.jpg:large

Bloat aside, I hope HTC uses that same chassis design for next years flagships. I really really love it. I'm not sure they could improve upon it. Just use the same design and tighten up the Quality Control and improve the internals.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone think we'll get a Nexus 10 (2013) announcement this week in time for Black Friday, or shall we just give up all hope of a new 10" Nexus tablet?
I hope the current version lasts another year.

Edwardo

Putting this question out there to all of Android-GAF on 4G LTE...

On average, how much data do you use every month?

I got my new phone 1 month ago and i've used ~500mb. It might go up next month since I've been downloading apps as I remember to download them. I'm on wifi alot too.

Marco1

Just received and been playing with my new htc one.
All I can say is WOW, it's not so much better than my iPhone and iOS that I'm glad I moved over, it's just different.
I do notice the jank but that is expected and acceptable with an OS that's so open.
I love this phone so much that I constantly want to use it.
And why apple bought Siri and not swype baffles me.

Xanonano

So, I'm looking for a clock widget that shows the time in 3 different places (my city, Los Angeles and London), but the ones I've found on Play Store are all stuck in Gingerbread era.

Does anyone knows a widget that looks good and show all the information I want?
The stock clock widget can do this (at least in KitKat). Just add the cities you want in the clock app.

I hope the current version lasts another year.

If the price keeps dropping in the UK then so do I, I'd happily pick one up If it drops to around the £200 mark.

Although given that the reception to 4.4 on the N10 has been pretty negative, I wonder if it's high on their priority list. Google doesn't seem to have supported it all that well. :-/

jey_16

Banned
Bloat aside, I hope HTC uses that same chassis design for next years flagships. I really really love it. I'm not sure they could improve upon it. Just use the same design and tighten up the Quality Control and improve the internals.

The raised plastic rim on the max and mini looks awful compared to the design on the one though

dubq

Wow. This is extremely maddening.. So, with my N5.. I've tried to transfer music via my Mac using Android's File Transfer utility. I've done this three times now, and eventually it gives me the "cannot access your device, please disconnect and reconnect." Which I do, and it's fine. Then it eventually gives me something about restarting my device. I do so, reconnect it.. and it fucking erases all of the music I just transferred.

WTF is going on?

Hydrargyrus

Wow. This is extremely maddening.. So, with my N5.. I've tried to transfer music via my Mac using Android's File Transfer utility. I've done this three times now, and eventually it gives me the "cannot access your device, please disconnect and reconnect." Which I do, and it's fine. Then it eventually gives me something about restarting my device. I do so, reconnect it.. and it fucking erases all of the music I just transferred.

WTF is going on?

I'm in the same situation.

This has happened to me 3 times today, until I've left that...

Quasar

Do any of you guys use Google Play Music for streaming? I'm considering switching to it from Spotify as album covers are still borked on KitKat.

Yeah. Though only to stream music that I uploaded. The subscription music catalog (as with the others I've tried(rdio, spotify, music unlimited)) lack enough stuff that I'm put off paying 10-15$ a month.

3phemeral

WTF is going on?

I'm in the same situation.

This has happened to me 3 times today, until I've left that...

I don't even bother with file transfer via cables. I use Wifi File Explorer.

Opening the app assigns your phone an IP address that you can connect to via web browser. You'll see every directory (except root), and you'll be able to navigate to whatever section you want. Choose your files and watch them upload super quick.

Back when I would use cables, I would still have trouble transferring files when there were a lot of small file sizes. It would seem to hang after every file for some reason. No issues using the app method.

Fatalah

VZW e-mailed me today...what are they up to?

frY2k8I.png

It's called keeping my unlimited plan, Mr. Verizon. I've been eligible for an upgrade since 12/29/2011.

ojVk54J.png

vdlow

The nexus 4 OTA is still not up...wow.

Considering they have the factory images out i wonder what the holdup is...

Now the only thing I can imagine that is holding the update is business reasons. Maybe a way to push the Nexus 5 in this early days as the only KitKat phone.

Cipherr

VZW e-mailed me today...what are they up to?

frY2k8I.png

It's called keeping my unlimited plan, Mr. Verizon. I've been eligible for an upgrade since 12/29/2011.

ojVk54J.png

Those evil fucks. They want to see how many people are intentionally holding on to their unlimited data so they can assess whether the fallout from them killing the grandfathered plans would be huge or not.

GatorBait

I'd like an alarm clock that can not only normally play MP3s, but also has the ability to play one of my pinned songs from Google Music.

Does this even exist? Or is it impossible because of the way pinned music in handled?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd like an alarm clock that can not only normally play MP3s, but also has the ability to play one of my pinned songs from Google Music.

Does this even exist? Or is it impossible because of the way pinned music in handled?

Impossible.

Just plug it into your computer and drag the tracks to the "Alarms" folder (I think that's it.) Then you can select them in the Clock app, I think.

3phemeral

You can use Alarm by Double Twist, but that requires an additional app to access on-device music. But because Google Music hides them in a secure folder, no normal app would be able to access them. However, it is possible to find them, as they exist somewhere in the root directory where secure app files are held. They're named something like 12345.mp3, 12346.mp3, etc.

Technically, you could retrieve these files and play them, but it's a lot of work.

Those evil fucks. They want to see how many people are intentionally holding on to their unlimited data so they can assess whether the fallout from them killing the grandfathered plans would be huge or not.

They should just do it. Lte service is getting hammered in big metro cities.

We don’t know much about the rumored followup to the HTC One, but the details are slowly starting to come together. Initial leaks have said the phone will feature a Snapdragon 800 CPU and a display measuring between 5 and 5.2 inches. The latter spec has been narrowed slightly thanks to @evleaks, who today tipped that the handset, known for now as the HTC M8, will feature a 5-inch, 1080p display.

The presence of a Snapdragon 800 was again mentioned, and it is said the device will ship with Android 4.4 KitKat. The presence of Google’s latest version of Android doesn’t come as much of a surprise. The M8 has been rumored to launch with major carriers like Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile by the end of Q1 2014. The date sets us up for a potential unveiling at CES or Mobile World Congress, though HTC may opt to go with a standalone event.

Despite HTC’s money woes, the One is one of the more favorably reviewed handsets of 2013. An upgrade will be gladly welcomed, even if the initially rumored specs look to only marginally improve over the current model. In the meantime, HTC is rolling out their One Max to more carriers and hoping they can catch lightning on a bottle to turn around their fortunes.

Link

I believe my contract is up in January or so. This HTC M8 sounds like something I'd be interested in, should it release somewhat soon after that.

The nexus 4 OTA is still not up...wow.

Considering they have the factory images out i wonder what the holdup is...

Google is starting to act just like another Manufacturer of phones rather than a software company. Release new flagship, ignore older devices. 4.4 was apparently made primarily for the Nexus 5 in mind, otherwise how would one explain something like this:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...on-android-gets-cleaner-brighter-more-useful/

If I might add in some editorial thoughts, it makes little or no sense for Google not to have included the launcher with the other Nexus' updates. After all, much of the user-facing change in KitKat is found in the launcher. System-wide white highlights clash with the new-old launcher which still clings to #33B5E5. Such a fundamental difference in interfaces between the same line of devices puts a LOT of marbles into the "bad UX" jar discussed at I/O this year.

The new folks running the Android show simply don't care. Watch the HTC One GPE receive the update before the N4...

And btw, 4.4 runs like absolute shit on my 2012 Nexus 7...

Marco1

Hit my first snag with android.
I am trying to send an amazon return attachment to my printer from an email. On safari it's just print,send and that's it but on android I had to DL printershare from App Store then share that with the chrome app and it still won't work.

Got a Nexus 5 a few days ago and so far almost everything has been good, I'm really impressed with the battery life, that is, until I start playing music.

This was taken after about 10-15 minutes of music playback and mediaserver has gone from not showing up at all to this. Is it normal? I'm pretty sure it wasn't this bad on my GS3.

To put it in context, I played PAD for ~5 minutes and it usually is quite the battery hog.

Do backup apps actually backup your game saves or just the apps so you don't have to download them again? I'm about to root my Nexus 7 (2012) and would like to save my game saves.

Groof

Do backup apps actually backup your game saves or just the apps so you don't have to download them again? I'm about to root my Nexus 7 (2012) and would like to save my game saves.

Usually no, but I've noticed Helium backup actually manages to do so without root. So what I do is backup only app data to the cloud (Dropbox, Drive, Box) and then restore from there. Though keep in mind some apps/games don't work with even this. For example the Rayman games.

SuperSah

Banned
So I'm getting my first Android phone soon, Nexus 5, and it'll be my first Android experience after the ever so boring OS of iOS.

What awesomeness can I do with Android platforms? 4.4 more specifically.

dubq

Just use something else like Airdroid or upload tunes to Google Music.

I don't even bother with file transfer via cables. I use Wifi File Explorer.

Opening the app assigns your phone an IP address that you can connect to via web browser. You'll see every directory (except root), and you'll be able to navigate to whatever section you want. Choose your files and watch them upload super quick.

Back when I would use cables, I would still have trouble transferring files when there were a lot of small file sizes. It would seem to hang after every file for some reason. No issues using the app method.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna try these out this afternoon.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So I'm getting my first Android phone soon, Nexus 5, and it'll be my first Android experience after the ever so boring OS of iOS.

What awesomeness can I do with Android platforms? 4.4 more specifically.

You tell me. You're the one switching and calling iOS boring.

So my N4, of course as soon as my N5 is on the way, decides to crap out. First apps started to crash, then I rebooted. Or at least tried to. Phone no longer properly boots into Android and gets stuck on the X logo.

Phone was not rooted or anything. Any pointers? Already tried a factory reset via recovery and the issue persists.

Groof

So my N4, of course as soon as my N5 is on the way, decides to crap out. First apps started to crash, then I rebooted. Or at least tried to. Phone no longer properly boots into Android and gets stuck on the X logo.

Phone was not rooted or anything. Any pointers? Already tried a factory reset via recovery and the issue persists.

Have you tried installing a factory image? Considering you hadn't made any alterations I don't know how much that would help, but it can't hurt to try.

Bboy AJ

Not my fault iOS is crappy. It's just a simple tray of Apps. Hooray for customisation!!!!

I've heard so good about Android customisation, if you have nothing better to say, leave it.

I'm just baffled by "I can't wait to switch! Someone tell me why." I don't know. What about Android makes you want to switch?

SuperSah

Banned
I'm just baffled by "I can't wait to switch! Someone tell me why." I don't know. What about Android makes you want to switch?

I just told you. The amount of customisability with the OS itself.

I was just asking what in terms of that you can do, I've heard the basics, just want to know more in-depth user based tricks etc.

Such as custom UI's etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom