• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

I just told you. The amount of customisability with the OS itself.

I was just asking what in terms of that you can do, I've heard the basics, just want to know more in-depth user based tricks etc.

Such as custom UI's etc. etc.

Well for starters, the Nexus 5 comes with a stock launcher (the thing that shows the home screens and app launcher) that offers very basic customisability. Basically, all you can do is add/remove pages and widgets/apps. Downloading a 3rd party launcher from the Play Store can allow you to go even further. Customise grid sizes for the home screen to allow more things to fit, customise icon sizes and fonts, have folders in the app launcher and even tabs and so on. The best two 3rd party launchers are Apex Launcher and Nova Launcher, which both look very close to the stock launcher so you won't lose the basic visuality of it.

gcubed

Google is starting to act just like another Manufacturer of phones rather than a software company. Release new flagship, ignore older devices. 4.4 was apparently made primarily for the Nexus 5 in mind, otherwise how would one explain something like this:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...on-android-gets-cleaner-brighter-more-useful/

The new folks running the Android show simply don't care. Watch the HTC One GPE receive the update before the N4...

And btw, 4.4 runs like absolute shit on my 2012 Nexus 7...

to be fair, everything runs like shit on the 2012 nexus 7. Can't fix a shitty chipset. Can't believe Nvidia just completely shit the bed with their mobile attempts so quickly. Flash in a pan, then poof, no one wants them.

SuperSah

Banned
Well for starters, the Nexus 5 comes with a stock launcher (the thing that shows the home screens and app launcher) that offers very basic customisability. Basically, all you can do is add/remove pages and widgets/apps. Downloading a 3rd party launcher from the Play Store can allow you to go even further. Customise grid sizes for the home screen to allow more things to fit, customise icon sizes and fonts, have folders in the app launcher and even tabs and so on. The best two 3rd party launchers are Apex Launcher and Nova Launcher, which both look very close to the stock launcher so you won't lose the basic visuality of it.

Thanks guys!

Edit: Wow, they look incredible.

Do I need some software to tweak with them that much?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just told you. The amount of customisability with the OS itself.

I was just asking what in terms of that you can do, I've heard the basics, just want to know more in-depth user based tricks etc.

Such as custom UI's etc. etc.
http://www.android.com/kitkat/ is a good KK link.
Thanks guys!

Edit: Wow, they look incredible.

Do I need some software to tweak with them that much?

Yes but it's free and simple to do.

to be fair, everything runs like shit on the 2012 nexus 7. Can't fix a shitty chipset. Can't believe Nvidia just completely shit the bed with their mobile attempts so quickly. Flash in a pan, then poof, no one wants them.
Oh definitely true. Tegra and shitty flash storage make it a terrible device after a longer period of use/wear. Its really sad as otherwise it was the best bang for the buck not even a year ago but some key components have been chosen poorly.

Mine is so laggy its no fun to use anymore...

I "upgraded" the Mrs' N7 (2012) to 4.4 the other day. She asked what I'd done to make her tablet so slow.... :-/

Roll on 4.4.1 is all I can say (or her deciding that the 2013 version is worth purchasing).

Marco1

Absolutely loving my HTC One, been playing super mario world on the snes emulator and then it came from the desert on the amiga emulator. Yes I know it's just for kicks but it amazes me that I can do it.
I stuck with ios FAR too long!!!!
I don't know why but I just love the feel and look of this phone also I find the official HTC case with the red top and grey bottom fantastic looking and feeling.
Also ZOE, what else is there to say, all from a 4MP camera.
I am currently trying to unlock the bootloader as I would love to try the GPE rom but the HTC sync is not installing onto my PC.

So I'm getting my first Android phone soon, Nexus 5, and it'll be my first Android experience after the ever so boring OS of iOS.

What awesomeness can I do with Android platforms? 4.4 more specifically.

there are these things called widgets. you can put them on your homescreen and they show you things like the time and weather. and you can change your virtual keyboard!

I'm just baffled by "I can't wait to switch! Someone tell me why." I don't know. What about Android makes you want to switch?

"i can't wait to switch to manual transmission!!! guys, tell me what's so awesome about it?"

vzkLdty.jpg

Z5MTYYm.jpg

Gotta thank AJ for recommending Lux. The default Nexus 5 auto-brightness was so god damn bright but Lux pretty much fixed everything for me even though it took a few days to get the brightness levels perfected. Bought the full version even though I have no use for most of the functions.

Thanks for the recommendation on using Helium. Now I'm about to unlock the bootloader and wanted to know if installing Samsung USB Drivers is necessary since Nexus Root Toolkit recognizes the Nexus 7 (2012)?

Nevermind - I ran the Full Driver Test and it passed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
4.4 on everything other than Nexus 5 is half-assed to put it mildly. Inconsistent design styles and colors. Feels extremely rushed. It's very bizarre and unlike Android.

Yeah +1 for my Nexus 7. KitKat just feels fucking weird for an update.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Gotta thank AJ for recommending Lux. The default Nexus 5 auto-brightness was so god damn bright but Lux pretty much fixed everything for me even though it took a few days to get the brightness levels perfected. Bought the full version even though I have no use for most of the functions.
Yep. Great app. There should be a Nexus 5 plug in soon.

Cipherr

not having the GEL ruins the update. no idea what google is thinking

Yeah I think they are going to put the GEL on the play store eventually but for whatever reason are beating around the bush about it.

You can literally side load it right now, and it works just fine (except for not having the transparencies). I wonder what exactly they are waiting on. I think it has something to do with the OEM's but who knows.

Bboy AJ

Just sold my Nexus 4 for $250. Good deal. Still the most game changing phone since the OG iPhone.

Also updated my other Nexus 4 to 4.4. Comparing it to my Nexus 5, man, N4 users got screwed. 4.4 is very visually different when comparing the N5 and N4. Sucks.

bjscott05

Just sold my Nexus 4 for $250. Good deal. Still the most game changing phone since the OG iPhone.

Also updated my other Nexus 4 to 4.4. Comparing it to my Nexus 5, man, N4 users got screwed. 4.4 is very visually different when comparing the N5 and N4. Sucks.

How did you manage that much? I sold mine on eBay the other day and the best I could do was $187, which included case and original charger/box.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
How did you manage that much? I sold mine on eBay the other day and the best I could do was $187, which included case and original charger/box.

Nobody in his right mind would pay more than $ 180/200 for a mint n4/16gb.

Marco1

Really starting to appreciate android and what it does.
Been loving using my htc one with google services running and regretting not jumping over from ios before.
With all of that storage from dropbox and drive and using swype etc. I now see why people love what android offers.
There's no going back to ios for me from now on.

SimleuqiR

I have this bridge in Brooklyn I like you to sell for me.

Nicktendo86

In what ways? The launcher?

Mudkips

Banned
On my Galaxy Note II, I was asked to open a calendar file from the web (calendar.ics) for testing.
It opened fine and I was presented with the option of importing it.
I imported it.

How do I delete it?
The calendar shows as "My calendar" in the Google Calendar app, listed separately from my Calendars attached to my Google account.
I can choose not to sync it and not to display it, but I want it gone from the Calendar app entirely.

I've already deleted the calendar.ics file I downloaded, and I've already cleared the cache, cleared the data, and uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Calendar app.

What the hell do I have to do to nuke this thing?

On my Galaxy Note II, I was asked to open a calendar file from the web (calendar.ics) for testing.
It opened fine and I was presented with the option of importing it.
I imported it.

How do I delete it?
The calendar shows as "My calendar" in the Google Calendar app, listed separately from my Calendars attached to my Google account.
I can choose not to sync it and not to display it, but I want it gone from the Calendar app entirely.

I've already deleted the calendar.ics file I downloaded, and I've already cleared the cache, cleared the data, and uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Calendar app.

What the hell do I have to do to nuke this thing?
check https://www.google.com/calendar/

Best Buy and Sprint launch Unlimited, My Way Student Promotion Offering Students Free Talk, Text and Data for 12 Months

FREE talk, text and data for
12 months for students
This holiday season, only in Best Buy stores, any eligible student* can get 12 months of free talk, text and 1GB data when they buy a qualifying phone
and get an Unlimited, My WaySM plan.

To qualify for this offer, phone must be purchased at Student Activated Price. See eligible phones and pricing ›
This plan includes:

Unlimited talk, text and 1GB of data for smartphones (Reg. $70/mo.), or
Unlimited talk, text and blocked data for basic phones (Reg. $50/mo.)
Easily add unlimited data for just $10/mo.
All lines can enjoy unlimited talk, text and data while on the Sprint network with the Sprint Unlimited Guarantee — not just for now, but for life

BestBuy link

Sprint PR

Sprint FAQ

i did not realize that there was no contractual obligation on this deal until tino mentioned it on G+

No term agreement required. Must purchase phone at Student Activated Price and activate at Best Buy no later than 01/04/2014. Student Activation Price may be higher than other advertised prices. Acceptable proof of student status (elementary and above) required w/in 14 days of activation (i.e. report card; student I.D.; tuition receipt). For students under the age of 13, parental consent is required. See www.sprint.com/studentverify. After 12 months, account will be charged full price for student line on Unlimited, My Way (Smartphone: $70/mo. for unlimited talk and text, and 1GB of data; Basic phone $50/mo. for unlimited talk and text, and blocked data; add'l $10/mo. for unlimited data, if applicable). To avoid charges, student line may be terminated by calling Sprint or dialing *2 from your mobile phone prior to the end of the 12 months. Student line cannot activate on a discounted phone or enter into a Sprint One Up agreement while receiving the free service or line will be charged regular price for service for Unlimited, My Way.

gotta buy the phones at the 'full' price though, so the $450 Nexus 5 is the best deal. $350 for an Optimus Elite? WAT

Best Buy and Sprint launch Unlimited, My Way Student Promotion Offering Students Free Talk, Text and Data for 12 Months

BestBuy link

Sprint PR

Sprint FAQ

i did not realize that there was no contractual obligation on this deal until tino mentioned it on G+

gotta buy the phones at the 'full' price though, so the $450 Nexus 5 is the best deal. $350 for an Optimus Elite? WAT

Good way to hook kids into Sprint. Use the money to buy a Sprint only phone, then lock their ass in with them.

wilflare

I'm beginning to really dislike Touchwiz though I love my Note 3...

what are your thoughts on
Flipboard? - is there anyway to follow Tumblr blogs via Flipboard.. and more importantly, save that cache to an external SDcard

anyone using Press or Feedly? - can't help but think having both Flipboard and Press are kinda redundant..

still waiting for that PocketCast web app :/ (if ever)

Bboy AJ

Sold it in Europe so different market. The buyer only cared about having an unlocked smartphone.
In what ways? The launcher?
Yes. It's one thing, yes, but it makes all the difference since it includes so much. Widgets are still done the old way. How strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom