• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMigs85

Well for starters, the Nexus 5 comes with a stock launcher (the thing that shows the home screens and app launcher) that offers very basic customisability. Basically, all you can do is add/remove pages and widgets/apps. Downloading a 3rd party launcher from the Play Store can allow you to go even further. Customise grid sizes for the home screen to allow more things to fit, customise icon sizes and fonts, have folders in the app launcher and even tabs and so on. The best two 3rd party launchers are Apex Launcher and Nova Launcher, which both look very close to the stock launcher so you won't lose the basic visuality of it.

Apex Launcher hasn't been updated since August, though. I bugged the developer on Facebook last November 8 and all he said was "there will be future updates."

Groof

Apex Launcher hasn't been updated since August, though. I bugged the developer on Facebook last November 8 and all he said was "there will be future updates."

Yeah Apex has been a bit dead lately. Which sucks considering I like Apex way more than Nova.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
A top of the line 4" or less smart phone will bomb. No matter how many people here say they'll buy one, they won't.

Nicktendo86

Sold it in Europe so different market. The buyer only cared about having an unlocked smartphone.

Yes. It's one thing, yes, but it makes all the difference since it includes so much. Widgets are still done the old way. How strange.

Oh, that's ok then. I have sideloaded the GEL apk anyway so when the ota lands I should have my transparent bars and everything else. Shitty that it's not included, really annoyed at Google for that.

Groof

Only in the launcher though, apparently no transparency for Lockscreen and Maps.

None for the lock screen on any device other than the N5. Maps with transparent bars was only a demo and not officially confirmed as an update, but it'll probably happen.

None for the lock screen on any device other than the N5. Maps with transparent bars was only a demo and not officially confirmed as an update, but it'll probably happen.

Yup. Too bad the older Nexus devices look so inconsistent now, even with the GEL apk.

There is still a lot of the Jelly Bean blue left in some of the system settings on the N7.

Nicktendo86

Yup. Too bad the older Nexus devices look so inconsistent now, even with the GEL apk.

There is still a lot of the Jelly Bean blue left in some of the system settings on the N7.

I think that is the same for the N5 though? They have really been half arsed in removing all of the blue. The attention to detail has been very poor IMHO.

Eanan

If I want to install the nexus 4 4.4 KitKat image off of googles website, do I just install it the same way I install a custom ROM through twrp? I.e. download to internal storage and install through recovery mode?

Groof

If I want to install the nexus 4 4.4 KitKat image off of googles website, do I just install it the same way I install a custom ROM through twrp? I.e. download to internal storage and install through recovery mode?

No, extract the contents to your PC and there's gonna be a .bat file in there that you boot up while either A) if USB debugging is on while the phone is on or B) if USB debugging is off while in the bootloader.
This will however wipe your device, but if you edit the .bat file in a text editor and delete the "-w" from "fastboot -w update image-occam-krt16o.zip" it won't.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Anyone getting SMS notification from hangouts and regular notufication? I keep getting the regular notification, but they are massively delayed.

jokkir

Anyone getting SMS notification from hangouts and regular notufication? I keep getting the regular notification, but they are massively delayed.

Disable your other messaging app?

And yeah, that Moto X getting the update before Nexus 4 is ridiculous. It doesn't help that it's Verizon.

SimleuqiR

Disable your other messaging app?

And yeah, that Moto X getting the update before Nexus 4 is ridiculous. It doesn't help that it's Verizon.

I think Verizon is trolling Google, while using their own company (Motorola) for pushing the update.

Then again, this also proves that if Verizon wants an update to happen sooner rather than later they are no "real" obstacles.

Cipherr

Wow so the 4.4 update really is already going out OTA for Moto X on Verizon?

That's fucking unbelievable. How the shit did they swing that with Verizon? The long relationship they have or something? Fucking unreal. I'm going to take a long hard look at Motos flagship next year. Its close to stock, and if they really turn it around on getting their updates out quickly I will consider them.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Is there any way to get rid of stupid pop-up ads? Every time I turn on my phone I get them or when I do certain things. It's really annoying.

Is there any way to get rid of stupid pop-up ads? Every time I turn on my phone I get them or when I do certain things. It's really annoying.
Popping up where? In the notification shade? If so, long press one and go to App Info. There you can either uninstall the offending app or take away its ability to display notifications.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

I don't know what version of android you are running but if you are in 4.1+ you can touch on the add (if it is in the notification bar) until you see the app info option like this:

app-info-0001.jpg

and then you can disable notifications for the application.

RM8

My hype for the Xperia Z1S completely vanished. It's barely any smaller than my SP :( Oh man, we'll never have a good, small Android again, right?

Wow so the 4.4 update really is already going out OTA for Moto X on Verizon?

That's fucking unbelievable. How the shit did they swing that with Verizon? The long relationship they have or something? Fucking unreal. I'm going to take a long hard look at Motos flagship next year. Its close to stock, and if they really turn it around on getting their updates out quickly I will consider them.

it's all Verizon politics. i bet they rushed that shit thru to say "look guys, the Nexus 7 thing is TOTALLY not our fault!"

Fatalah

I'm very excited to finally be writing this post... I just bought a new phone, I'm joining the Moto X family!

My current phone is the Droid Incredible from April 2010, so an upgrade was a long time coming.

Since I don't have a 4G sim card, do I have to pick one up from the Verizon store? Is it free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom