• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Moto X is the real Nexus.

Yep. We were all unexcited about it because we thought all those features would make it to the N5. Nope. Oh, and price, which is a legitimate gripe. In hindsight, the X phone is a nice one. Just overpriced.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's what happens when you leave 4G out.
z7F4jYO.png

Flynn77

It's happening.gif

A number of sites now reporting the nexus 4 KitKat rollout has started! BritGAF and nothing here yet though.(not sure how they define the roll out)

terrier

So on my nexus 5 i use hangouts as default sms app, but if i try to send an sms to a number i do not have in the agenda, it wont allow me to send it and instead it gives me some G+ suggerences. How can i fix it, i like hangouts but it is not very clear how it works as a sms app

vanty

Is there a reason on Hangouts why some people appear once and you can select hangouts or SMS from the drop down menu at the top (how it's supposed to work), while others appear twice, with one being hangouts and one being SMS and the drop down menu has no second option. They both are in my contacts with a phone number and a gmail address with no other differences between them.

I can't find anyone with the same problem as all the search results are just complaining about it not being all within one stream like iMessages. But my problem is one step above that since they appear as two different contacts entirely so it's even more of a hassle to keep up with things.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
wtf. That's it. Nexus 4 is my first and only nexus line phone.
Yeah, you should definitely get a different make next time. I'm sure you'll get the latest version quicker.

Flynn77

OTA url's should be out soon.

So weird, 4.3 also had critical bugs which werent noticed during the first rollout stage...

Yeah it's fairly obvious now there has been a pretty big bug that's made them push back the update. I wonder if nexus 5 owners will get another sudden OTA

HawkeyeIC

4.4. on my Moto X broke exchange, unless I change from push to every 5 minutes. Verizon is doing this on purpose to show that we need their 6 month testing period to make sure everything works properly.

SimleuqiR

Is there a reason on Hangouts why some people appear once and you can select hangouts or SMS from the drop down menu at the top (how it's supposed to work), while others appear twice, with one being hangouts and one being SMS and the drop down menu has no second option. They both are in my contacts with a phone number and a gmail address with no other differences between them.

I can't find anyone with the same problem as all the search results are just complaining about it not being all within one stream like iMessages. But my problem is one step above that since they appear as two different contacts entirely so it's even more of a hassle to keep up with things.

Did you try "merging" the contacts via the People app?
Search for a contact that you are having this issue with, if you see multiple listings, then merging them should fix this issue (not the different streams for SMS and Hangouts messages).

Sometimes the People app has trouble automatically merging your Gmail contacts and the Google+ contacts . Yes, they are actually different though both use your Gmail account.

Groof

http://apex.anddoes.com/Download.aspx?type=beta

I'm guessing the stable version should follow in a few days.

Cheers, but importing the desktop data from Nova was a bit janky. All of my app icons turned into Androids and I have to reset them one by one :(

edit: it also has the problem the Nova beta had in the beginning, if your app drawer is transparent the status and navigational bars are a different shade.

edit2: you know what, this is just janky overall. Beta indeed.

Mudkips

Banned

It's not attached to my Google account. It shows up in the app as "My calendar" under a section called "My calendar". My Google Calendar calendar shows as "<Calendar Name>" under a section called "<Google Account>".

It's basically the default calendar that gets created when you create an event without having any accounts associated. I can't find any way to get rid of it. I've blown out the cache and data for every Calendar app (including the system ones) I could find.

I've just been presented a choice at work for a new Verizon phone. IPhone 5s or an android device. Which would be out of I guess the S4 or Droid Maxx.

My personal phone will be a Nexus 5 which arrives today. But for work I also have an iPad. Just had my first run with Apple Maps and it was one of the worst experiences ever. But I'm leaning towards the iPhone since it is for work and should integrate better with the iPad.

I think a N5/5s should contrast nicely but I'm not sure which direction I should go. Have to decide by today so they can order tomorrow.

Nicktendo86

So got my nexus 7 (2013) back from asus, sent it in for dead pixels. Sent it Wednesday, would have got it back yesterday if I was in. They replaced the screen! Six day turnaround, very good service I would say.

SimleuqiR

I'd order it if I managed more accounts. Currently only have one credit and one bank account. No point in it for me. :/

It's actually a good way to prevent theft or even someone possibly cloning your main (or only) card.

One way I would use it is for my shopping budget, particularly groceries, since you have to pre-load the amount on to it.

So lets say I give myself a $300.00/month budget for food (including dining out). This, in conjunction with the app, can help me not go over that budget.

Fatalah

Waiting on delivery of my new Swappa phone...

Will the Verizon store give me a 4G SIM card without the phone in hand?

Update: Nope.

SimleuqiR

Newsstand...

Very impressed. The app even has a podcast column. Easily find all the podcasts from your favorite blog or site.

Ipi8gzS.png

Transitions and animations a really nice too.

Groof

Newsstand...

Very impressed. The app even has a podcast column. Easily find all the podcasts from your favorite blog or site.

Ipi8gzS.png

Transitions and animations a really nice too.

Yeah I really like it. Design-wise and functionally it looks and works great, much better than Currents. Too bad you can't enter your own RSS feeds for it to pull, though.

Cigol

I've been having problems recently with Play Magazines taking up ~900mb storage despite not even having a single magazine downloaded, and prior to that Currents was a real data hog as well - so which bright spark decided to combine them into the same app (lol). Actually things seem promising so far, only 15mb used, but I've only just installed it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Anyone having issues with newsstand? I just get a "the first time you use newsstand you need to be online" then it quits, even though I am online. I even turned off wifi and used 4G and the same thing.
Edit: nevermind fixed it by uninstaling updates signing in and then updating.

Doopliss

guess this may just replace..
Flipboard and Press for me.

with that Podcast Function.. do I even need Pocket Casts?
Newsstand seems extremely limited as a podcast player:

- Streaming only. No downloading for offline listening.
- Doesn't remember played position if you close the app or switch to another episode.
- Can only navigate through an episode by dragging the progress bar. No 'skip back/forward X seconds' buttons.
- No variable playback speed.

- Doesn't remember played position if you close the app or switch to another episode.
- Can only navigate through an episode by dragging the progress bar. No 'skip back/forward X seconds' buttons.

So basically it's terrible?

This. If the podcasting options were deeper and we could add our own RSS feeds I would totally buy into this but feedly and pocket casts are great for me right now. Love the syncing podcasts across tablet and phone...saves where I stopped. I would use variable speed more often if I wasn't always running out of podcasts to listen to anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom