• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

Love, love, LOVE the new newsstand app. The little animation when you scroll down and the newsaper's logo moves up to the top, eeeuuughggghhh soooo good.

GatorBait

This. If the podcasting options were deeper and we could add our own RSS feeds I would totally buy into this but feedly and pocket casts are great for me right now. Love the syncing podcasts across tablet and phone...saves where I stopped. I would use variable speed more often if I wasn't always running out of podcasts to listen to anyway...

No adding our own RSS feeds is the real killer for me. That means, as much as I would like to go into the Newsstand app as my one-stop source for all my news, I can't.

jokkir

Love, love, LOVE the new newsstand app. The little animation when you scroll down and the newsaper's logo moves up to the top, eeeuuughggghhh soooo good.

I love how the action bar is animated. It looks so nice.

I keep crolling upand down to see that animation lol

Doopliss

For anyone wondering about the status of the AOSP Browser in KitKat:

- The URL bar is fixed in place, it doesn't auto-hide when you scroll down a page.
- Quick controls work but the area at the top of the screen (where the URL would be) only displays weird graphical glitches.
- Setting the home page to your most-visited sites doesn't work and displays an error (Connection problem net::ERR_ACCESS_DENIED). It was also broken in 4.3 but there it just displayed a blank page.
- Going to Settings -> Advanced -> Website settings produces an "Unfortunately, Browser has stopped" message and returns you to the top Settings screen.
- Browsing history page was removed, apparently for no reason as it's been re-added in CM11 with two lines of code and seems to work fine.

Feels pretty busted, overall.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
RANT

It's like the console side being brought over to Android land, but fuck it.

My internet is fine and fast. My tablet has an awesome 1080p screen.

So who the fuck thought it was OK to just stream 720p video everywhere? Even you based Google are only doing 720p in your own YouTube App. WTF is up with this shit?

Give me 1080p or give me death!!!

Doopliss

RANT

It's like the console side being brought over to Android land, but fuck it.

My internet is fine and fast. My tablet has an awesome 1080p screen.

So who the fuck thought it was OK to just stream 720p video everywhere? Even you based Google are only doing 720p in your own YouTube App. WTF is up with this shit?

Give me 1080p or give me death!!!
Plus they use nearest neighbour scaling just to ensure everything looks extra shitty and jaggy.

Vanillalite

Plus they use nearest neighbour scaling just to ensure everything looks extra shitty and jaggy.

Watch ESPN looks soooooo fucking terrible.

HBO Go and Xfinity look slightly better, but you can tell it isn't native 1080p.

YouTube definitely lookes meh even on videos you know look better on a desktop.

At least Netflix has native 1080p streaming. Looks night and day compared to every other streaming app.

Get your shit together Google! FFS! Your 3 Nexus devices all have 1080p or better screens too!

Just finished updating to Kitkat. Switched to ART and now waiting for that to finish. Gonna install GEL next. Waiting...waiting....so excite.

Vanillalite

Just finished updating to Kitkat. Switched to ART and now waiting for that to finish. Gonna install GEL next. Waiting...waiting....so excite.

The switch to ART takes FOREVER. Like you reboot thinking okay here we go! Then it just keeps doing the boot animation. Then when it finally boots you get the upgrading Android Apps and that takes forever. LOL

Hey I'm having a weird issue with my SG4, the screen won't time out anymore, it just stays on, the only way to get it to work again is to reboot it and it'll stop for a little bit but the problem starts up again. It's not rooted and I recently (like 2 weeks ago) got the update for 4.3 from sprint. Any ideas???

Groof

The switch to ART takes FOREVER. Like you reboot thinking okay here we go! Then it just keeps doing the boot animation. Then when it finally boots you get the upgrading Android Apps and that takes forever. LOL

Yeah seriously, and the worst part is that everytime you go to the upgrading screen it takes just as long. Have had to do it twice in a row now and it is taking foooooreeeeeeeeeever

I like it, but I can't have more than 2 home screen pages? If I could add one more page, I'd be using this over the stock launcher all the time.

Groof

I like it, but I can't have more than 2 home screen pages? If I could add one more page, I'd be using this over the stock launcher all the time.

Drag anything to the right edge of one homescreen and it will automatically create a new one. You can have pretty much an unlimited amount in GEL.

Drag anything to the right edge of one homescreen and it will automatically create a new one. You can have pretty much an unlimited amount in GEL.

Ahhh, okay. This is cool. Thanks for the tip. I think I'll rock this for a few weeks and see how I like it. I just wish I could make the icons a bit smaller.

mturco

(Cross-posting from Nexus 5 thread...)

Just got my Nexus Wireless Charger and it's awesome. I did a quick hands-on type post on our AndroidGAF Prism blog if you guys are interested.

Hands On: Nexus Wireless Charger
nexus-wireless-charger-1.jpg

T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint take stance against fraudulent premium SMS charges

Forty-five states, led by Vermont, with Delaware, Florida, Maryland, Oregon, Texas and Washington, have been engaged in discussions aimed at stopping the practice of mobile cramming—unauthorized third-party charges that appear on mobile telephone bills. In what is a major breakthrough in the fight against mobile cramming, Attorney General Bill Sorrell announced today that three of the nation’s largest mobile phone carriers—AT&T Mobility, Sprint and T-Mobile—will no longer charge their customers for commercial Premium Short Messaging Services, also known as “PSMS,” or “premium text messages.” PSMS accounts for the majority of third-party charges on cell phones and for the overwhelming majority of cramming complaints.

_______

IceCold

I have a question about the new Hangouts. If you use it to send sms, are your texts linked to your gmail account? Do the sms go through google at all? .

mturco

I have a question about the new Hangouts. If you use it to send sms, are your texts linked to your gmail account? Do the sms go through google at all? .

No and no, unfortunately. It just sends texts as any other texting app would. In fact, if you turn airplane mode on and then manually turn wifi back on, it won't send texts until you turn mobile back on.

Doopliss

(Cross-posting from Nexus 5 thread...)

Just got my Nexus Wireless Charger and it's awesome. I did a quick hands-on type post on our AndroidGAF Prism blog if you guys are interested.
Nice write up. It looks like a quality product but it'll be hard to justify the £40 (I'm guessing) for a charger, assuming they even deign to release the thing over here.

I don't get my Nexus 5 til Monday and it's my first Android phone, so could someone explain mycolorscreen and Themer to me? Is it sort of like how Dreamboard is for jailbroken iOS devices? I see alot of designs that I like on mycolorscreen.com and they list out some of the apps they used to create the homescreen/lockscreen but I don't really see any instruction on how to replicate their works.

Something like http://mycolorscreen.com/2013/11/20/android-5-0-black-edition looks freaking awesome.

I don't get my Nexus 5 til Monday and it's my first Android phone, so could someone explain mycolorscreen and Themer to me? Is it sort of like how Dreamboard is for jailbroken iOS devices? I see alot of designs that I like on mycolorscreen.com and they list out some of the apps they used to create the homescreen/lockscreen but I don't really see any instruction on how to replicate their works.

Something like http://mycolorscreen.com/2013/11/20/android-5-0-black-edition looks freaking awesome.

mycolorscreen is a DIY thing, Themer is a 1 click app

If the newstand app merged with currents then why do I still have the currents app? Ergggg I hate duplicate apps!

Newsstand & Currents
Hangouts and Messaging
Quick office & Drive
Gallery and Photos
Earth & Maps

The Google settings "app" could also just be merged with settings I mean you can access all that directly in the settings menu it is just a generally useless shortcut for many people.

Also the news & weather app is basically useless and hasn't been updated in forever. You have Google now for weather and newstand for news. Get rid of it.

OCD :(

Fix this shit!

catmincer

Looks like Sony are going to be offering 4.4 for the SP. Actually impressed as this is a mid-tier phone and these never get love above a perhaps token update.

Looks like they're also looking at updating T/V which were the late 2012 flagships. Again, if this happens, i'll be impressed.

Doopliss

I fell down a bit of a rabbit hole last night reading stuff on the Chromium for Android issue tracker and Google Groups. I was happy to see that there have been several discussions recently about reducing power consumed by the browser. Interestingly it seems to mainly be coming from employees of companies like Sony, Samsung, Intel and Opera, the former three possibly spurred on by the switch to Chromium WebViews in KitKat. Google meanwhile seems to be more focused on optimising for smoothness/preventing jank.

Some links if anyone's interested:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Nicktendo86

So anyone runing ART on their Nexus 4? any impressions? Apps seem to open fast for me but still get stuck on a loading screen so seems kinda pointless. Battery life seems about the same if not worse as well.

If the newstand app merged with currents then why do I still have the currents app? Ergggg I hate duplicate apps!

Newsstand & Currents
Hangouts and Messaging
Quick office & Drive
Gallery and Photos
Earth & Maps

The Google settings "app" could also just be merged with settings I mean you can access all that directly in the settings menu it is just a generally useless shortcut for many people.

Also the news & weather app is basically useless and hasn't been updated in forever. You have Google now for weather and newstand for news. Get rid of it.

OCD :(

Fix this shit!
Disable them?

yyzjohn

Banned
So anyone runing ART on their Nexus 4? any impressions? Apps seem to open fast for me but still get stuck on a loading screen so seems kinda pointless. Battery life seems about the same if not worse as well.

Strange about the battery life. On my Nexus 5 I've noticed battery life is much better now that I'm using ART. Maybe it's my imagination but the phone just seems to sip battery now. I can go all day with no issues, 3 hours of on-screen time.

RM8

I was considering trying Cyanogenmod on my ancient Sony Tablet S, since they say it's a good way to improve "legacy devices". Well, it's not supported :(

Nicktendo86

Strange about the battery life. On my Nexus 5 I've noticed battery life is much better now that I'm using ART. Maybe it's my imagination but the phone just seems to sip battery now. I can go all day with no issues, 3 hours of on-screen time.
Might just be as I am playing around with it haha, will judge in a couple of days

Guri

Guys, I need some help for development research: I need to know what are the specific models on Android (from every vendor possible -- Samsung, Sony, LG, etc.) that the hardwares compare to an iPad 3 or is better than that. Only tablets, by the way. I know it may be too much to ask, but if someone could please help, that would be great. Don't worry about pricing or how good or bad the device is. As long as it is equal or better than the iPad 3, I have what I need.

Thank you!

phoenixyz

Guys, I need some help for development research: I need to know what are the specific models on Android (from every vendor possible -- Samsung, Sony, LG, etc.) that the hardwares compare to an iPad 3 or is better than that. Only tablets, by the way. I know it may be too much to ask, but if someone could please help, that would be great. Don't worry about pricing or how good or bad the device is. As long as it is equal or better than the iPad 3, I have what I need.

Well, CPU wise both the Nexus 10 and 7 are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom