• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturco

PRISM: Android Design Revisited, Part 1: The Homescreen
android-design-revisited5.png

homescreens-all1.png

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Okay Android thread, I actually need your help

I've got an HTC Inspire 4G and I want to root it. However, I've never done this before and literally every place I go online with guides says "DON'T DO THIS IT'S ALL OUT OF DATE GO LOOK AT A FORUM OR SOMETHING", and I can never figure out what I'm supposed to be doing.

Halp.

Hi guys, i need some advice. I got a Nexus 5 and its....good but I'm having quite a few gripes with it, such as the weak speakers/vibration, the awful stock camera app, and the battery life that only lasts a respectable amount of time if I only use it sparingly throughout the day or turn off alot of features.

How do the resale value of Nexus devices hold up? With how cheap they already are, is there even a decent demand for them on a secondary market? Should I expect to get at least $250 by the middle of next year if I keep mine in good condition? I'm asking because I plan to jump on the HTC One successor when it gets released in June/July since I think the One is an almost perfect phone if they just up the screen size a tad and throw on a better camera. Should I just sell/return my Nexus 5 now and get a HTC One from Swappa for relatively cheap for now and then resell the HTC One in June? (Not sure if the resale value of a One would be around the same level as a Nexus 5).

yyzjohn

Banned
Hi guys, i need some advice. I got a Nexus 5 and its....good but I'm having quite a few gripes with it, such as the weak speakers/vibration, the awful stock camera app, and the battery life that only lasts a respectable amount of time if I only use it sparingly throughout the day or turn off alot of features.

How do the resale value of Nexus devices hold up? With how cheap they already are, is there even a decent demand for them on a secondary market? Should I expect to get at least $250 by the middle of next year if I keep mine in good condition? I'm asking because I plan to jump on the HTC One successor when it gets released in June/July since I think the One is an almost perfect phone if they just up the screen size a tad and throw on a better camera. Should I just sell/return my Nexus 5 now and get a HTC One from Swappa for relatively cheap for now and then resell the HTC One in June? (Not sure if the resale value of a One would be around the same level as a Nexus 5).

Provided you have an unlocked Nexus the resale value is very good. I sold my Nexus 4 for $220 before buying the Nexus 5.

Nicktendo86

They have until Friday to file and appeal, I guess the judgement will come in January. Nokia will probably push for an immediate judgement though.

In other, "just how fucked are HTC?" news:

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-revenue-q3-2014-322084/

Revenues are down YoY by 27%. Absolute dog of a company. They even recognise that lack of product launches are to blame for the decrease in revenue, but seem to have no solution. Stupid, stupid company. Any idiot could have told them that seceding the low end market to Samsung and Chinese mainland companies and letting Sony have the mid-range market would be disastrous, but they still did it. Honestly they deserve what's coming to them.
Funny how they were pretty much the de facto android OEM a few years ago, before the galaxy s2. To let that slip to the state today is insane.

Saw another one of those irritating Robert Downey Jr ads on the telly last night and they still had the one mini, thought they might pull that due to the ruling.

SuperSah

Banned
Where can I find nice 1080p wallpapers for my Note 3?

Something that allows me to use it as a wallpaper without using the weird sizing tool.

Zeppu

So guys.

What is, in your opinion, the worst Google App. I mean, pretty much all of their apps have something incredibly stupid/horrid in them but which one takes the cake?

For me it's Google Music. Holy shit this app is the most convoluted thing I've ever had the displeasure of needing to use. Do you think everyone was drunk while designing it?

kehs

Banned
So guys.

What is, in your opinion, the worst Google App. I mean, pretty much all of their apps have something incredibly stupid/horrid in them but which one takes the cake?

For me it's Google Music. Holy shit this app is the most convoluted thing I've ever had the displeasure of needing to use. Do you think everyone was drunk while designing it?

You're so wrong it hurts.

Music is an awesome app.

Now Voice...holy shit....

yyzjohn

Banned
So guys.

I use Google Play Music every single day, I have no idea what convoluted things you're talking about? Love the fact that all my music is in the cloud and available on all my devices. I can even make playlists from the cloud and they're available on my device next time I go in. It's great.

Doopliss

So guys.

The Youtube app is just bad as a video player:

- Picture quality is ruined by their use of nearest-neighbour scaling.
- The channel icon they stick on top of videos is distracting and annoying.
- Using a scrub bar to navigate through any video longer than a couple of minutes is frustratingly imprecise on a touch device. Buttons to skip back/forward are far more usable.

SimleuqiR

So guys.

Convoluted?

Convoluted = VSCO Can

Google's Music app is straight up easy to use.

Under the "My Library" option you have tabs for Genres, Artists, Albums, Songs

How else do you want to browse your music?

What's so convoluted about Music?

Husker86

Umm, Google Music app is great.

The Youtube app is just bad as a video player:

- Picture quality is ruined by their use of nearest-neighbour scaling.
This is weird to me because I'm always really impressed by HD video on YouTube app. Though, since you're talking about scaling, that should only affect non-HD (since I'm on a 1080p phone), right?

I still cannot understand why EVERY SINGLE GOOGLE APP has issues with "No connection, RETRY". Every single one. It's so damn bizarre.
edit: Actually, now that I think more about it, Google Music might be the only one I can't recall seeing that message on.

Zeppu

You're so wrong it hurts.

Music is an awesome app.

Now Voice...holy shit....

I use Google Play Music every single day, I have no idea what convoluted things you're talking about? Love the fact that all my music is in the cloud and available on all my devices. I can even make playlists from the cloud and they're available on my device next time I go in. It's great.

I'm not talking about the service. I'm talking about the app.

For example.

I have a playlist called 'Mobile'. I add stuff on it form the desktop so I'll have things to listen to from the app. You think the app refreshes that list? Of course not. When you press play it takes that 'playlist' and puts it in the queue. If I add shit to the playlist, I have to reload the playlist in order to get the changes. Logical.

So, I'm in an album:

k8k1KaRl.png

I want to go to the artist. Press here I guess:

VFC5pUSl.png

Nope. Maybe here?

ehYiRe1l.png

Nope. Hmmm...Maybe click on song?

or49vj3l.png

Yep, perfect sense that makes.

Okay, what else. Click on the album on the widget. Oh look! I'm in the main 'Listen Now' screen. Hmmm, I would've thought that clicking on the album art on the widget would take me somewhere relevant. Anyway, I just want to see the playlist and I can see it's playing down below. Tap on the bar below!

Oh thank you Google Music. Obviously what I had been yearning for was a super low quality stretched image of the album art, with parts clipped on the sides and parts obstructed by navigation at the top/bottom. No no, of course I didn't want to see the actual playlist. I'm gonna need to click another button to get to that. This is also the screen which I get to when I click on the notification.

Just a great screen, this one. Possibly my favourite.

XR53BcOl.png

Let's open up the drawer to get to somewhere. Oh. I can't. It just allows me to swipe left/right to change songs. Cause the button at the bottom was too much effort. Wait, pressing back takes me back out (depending how I got in) of the app? So grab the action bar and slide it..down? What?

Same for the queue page. Swiping only removes items from playlist, no clear way to get back into familiar place.

It's just a massive piece of shit. It works, yes. It looks pretty, yes. It's convoluted and stupid as fuck. It doesn't stick to Android's UX guidelines and with a bit of thought and a few hours worth of work it could be much, much better.

yyzjohn

Banned

For example.

I have a playlist called 'Mobile'. I add stuff on it form the desktop so I'll have things to listen to from the app. You think the app refreshes that list? Of course not. When you press play it takes that 'playlist' and puts it in the queue. If I add shit to the playlist, I have to reload the playlist in order to get the changes. Logical.

So, I'm in an album:

k8k1KaRl.png

VFC5pUSl.png

Nope. Maybe here?

Yeah I'm talking about the app as well. Yours looks different.

So, just looking at your first screenshot, I have no idea why your app is like that. When i'm in an album, and I press that menu button, I see "Go to artist". See screenshot:

uIXARb7.png

Also, in the now playing screen, my image isn't low rez, and it's not fixed, it pans the album art as the song is playing which gives a neat effect.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Music app has a few oddities but it's in no way a "piece of shit."

Whoever said Voice earlier was probably right now that Listen is officially discontinued.

So guys.

Google Finance.

Hasn't been updated visually since the Gingerbread days, only gives you current prices on your portfolio rather than overall valuation/profit & loss etc. Trying to add stocks to my portfolio never works in the app.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

This is weird to me because I'm always really impressed by HD video on YouTube app. Though, since you're talking about scaling, that should only affect non-HD (since I'm on a 1080p phone), right?

I still cannot understand why EVERY SINGLE GOOGLE APP has issues with "No connection, RETRY". Every single one. It's so damn bizarre.
edit: Actually, now that I think more about it, Google Music might be the only one I can't recall seeing that message on.

YouTube app is 720p only for now. There was a 3rd party hacked player on XDA that allowed for 1080p, but it has issues.

It's one of my main gripes. I can easily tell it isn't native 1080p on my Nexus 7.

Zeppu

Yeah I'm talking about the app as well. Yours looks different.

So, just looking at your first screenshot, I have no idea why your app is like that. When i'm in an album, and I press that menu button, I see "Go to artist". See screenshot:

uIXARb7.png

Ah yes, of course. Cause it depends how you get to the album page and who the artist is. More logical stuff. If I search that same album above, and get to the album page through a search, the 'Go to Artist' items is there. If I get through it from the 'Listen Now' page it doesn't.

The Music app has a few oddities but it's in no way a "piece of shit."

Whoever said Voice earlier was probably right now that Listen is officially discontinued.

Well I don't use Voice and I obviously quit using Listen after suffering with it for a week or so since that really was the fucking worst. None of this makes Music any better though. Like I said, it's not terrible or broken, but it's so disjointed from the rest of the suite in how it works and how you navigate it that I don't understand how it doesn't bother you guys. And then clicking home button from the app drawer on the GLE and quickly tapping tapping some dots bringing up widgets is a 'cannot unsee' thing. WTF guys?

SimleuqiR

For example.

So, I'm in an album:

http://i.imgur.com/k8k1KaRl.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VFC5pUSl.png[IMG]

Nope. Maybe here?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ehYiRe1l.png[IMG]

Nope. Hmmm...Maybe click on song?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/or49vj3l.png[IMG]

Yep, perfect sense that makes.

Okay, what else. Click on the album on the widget. Oh look! I'm in the main 'Listen Now' screen. Hmmm, I would've thought that clicking on the album art on the widget would take me somewhere relevant. Anyway, I just want to see the playlist and I can see it's playing down below. Tap on the bar below!

Oh thank you Google Music. Obviously what I had been yearning for was a super low quality stretched image of the album art, with parts clipped on the sides and parts obstructed by navigation at the top/bottom. No no, of course I didn't want to see the actual playlist. I'm gonna need to click another button to get to that. This is also the screen which I get to when I click on the notification.

Just a great screen, this one. Possibly my favourite.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XR53BcOl.png[IMG]

Let's open up the drawer to get to somewhere. Oh. I can't. It just allows me to swipe left/right to change songs. Cause the button at the bottom was too much effort. Wait, pressing back takes me back out (depending how I got in) of the app? So grab the action bar and slide it..down? What?

Same for the queue page. Swiping only removes items from playlist, no clear way to get back into familiar place.

It's just a massive piece of shit. It works, yes. It looks pretty, yes. It's convoluted and stupid as fuck. It doesn't stick to Android's UX guidelines and with a bit of thought and a few hours worth of work it could be much, [I]much[/I] better.[/QUOTE]

Ehh...maybe I'm so used to where things are on the app I find you are just nitpicking. As I was reading your post I was like "well, no that's not where you get that info from. That's not where you do that".

Playlist also refresh for me without a problem. Then again, when I create playlists I "pin" them, so songs get automatically downloaded. :shrugs:

kehs

Banned
The lack of "go to artist" on your app is weird, not matter how I get to an album I still see the option.

All the other stuff is just preference really. I love the navigation of the music app. You obviously can't wrap your mind around have a "current queue" but that's one of my favorite things that I was missing since my Karma Rio.

It's just a massive piece of shit. It works, yes. It looks pretty, yes. It's convoluted and stupid as fuck. It doesn't stick to Android's UX guidelines and with a bit of thought and a few hours worth of work it could be much, much better.

This is actually how most of google's apps work btw. Drill down to an individual email in gmail, and you'll notice you cant bring in the navigation drawer.

Husker86

Playlist also refresh for me without a problem. Then again, when I create playlists I "pin" them, so songs get automatically downloaded. :shrugs:

I think he's talking about if you're already listening to a playlist and add something to it, it won't be in the Queue. That is a legit oddity and I notice it as well.

Basically when you start a playlist, it creates a Queue with the songs from that playlist, so any edits to the playlist after that will not be reflected in your currently playing list.

Mindwipe

So guys.

I can't believe anyone would say anything other than Chrome.

Zeppu

Anywho, that being said did you guys know that if you press and hold the pause button the lock screen you get the seek bar?

You obviously can't wrap your mind around have a "current queue" but that's one of my favorite things that I was missing since my Karma Rio.

Come on dude being able to set my playlist from the desktop would be godly. And now that I'm bitching. Why the bloody fuck can't the desktop site remember my queue if I close the browser.

Meh. I don't care if a product is bad. I mind when a product is near god-like and then they leave these tiny niggles around.

Talon

Google Finance.

Hasn't been updated visually since the Gingerbread days, only gives you current prices on your portfolio rather than overall valuation/profit & loss etc. Trying to add stocks to my portfolio never works in the app.
Right. The weird thing is that google.com/finance...has all that shit.

tinantlu

My LG G2 (Verizon version) should be here in the mail today, and I'm very excited.

I am coming from an ancient Droid X2, so I basically feel like I am starting a new OS all-together

Any advice, apps, additions and/or subtractions that I should be looking for right out of the box?

Can't wait to have a phone that performs well again, never mind the fact that my old 1 barely even functioned as a regular old phone anymore

Doopliss

The scaling affects any device with a resolution different to the resolution of the video. In practice that means that only 720p devices are not affected.

I took a couple of screen shots on my Nexus 5 of the same 720p video played in the Youtube app and the Giant Bomb Video Buddy app:

Youtube:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzbj89jr1tbmxdc/2013-12-05%2014.59.34.png

GBVB:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m53zjrnx3248ghr/2013-12-05%2015.00.38.png

Make sure you click the image/zoom in so you can see it at full resolution. The one from Youtube is a mess.

Here's the logo:
FCtP5cO.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom