• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

They need to decouple the camera from the OS, so that we can get speedier updates. Wonder when that Camera API will be pushed out.

tablecompare.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/5/5177304/nexus-5-updated-camera-sample-pictures

Nice. Looking forward to it.

jokkir

If anyone is wondering the difference between VSCO and Snapseed, I found a Reddit users comment to be useful:

I work professionally as a director of photography and colorist so I'm more in VSCO's market and can explain their product better than a lot of android enthusiasts. I used to use Snapseed almost exclusively on my phone, I now split my time between the two apps.

Snapseed and VSCO are trying to accomplish two different things when it comes to image editing. VSCO is a film emulation app first and foremost (which has always been their big sell) and photo editor second. Snapseed is entirely a photo manipulation app. Let me explain what I mean.

VSCO is packed with free and pay filters (their business model) that are designed to emulate specific film stocks. You've seen those pictures shot on certain films (Kodakchrome or Technicolor are particularly well known examples) that have a certain "look" to them? VSCO has "looks" that are designed to emulate those exact stocks. The "x" series for example are designed to look like TriX Black and White films, the "p" series are polaroids, etc. The idea is that with a single filter, you can get 90% of the way to the look you want with the knowledge of what that film stock should look like in a similar situation.

There are a number of tools to edit once you've selected a look (or you can bypass a look and jump straight to editing). However, these tools are more limited than what you would expect on a typical editing suite. There are basic options for saturation (though you can't turn it from color to b+w), contrast, exposure, etc but they add a couple of look emulation specific tools. A "fade" filter gives that washed out, hipster look you've seen overused to death. Highlight and shadow save filters give you more control in those areas than either snapseed or pixlr. There is an even a setting to add film grain to really nail your emulation. With that said, it's not intended to be a full fledged editing app as there are some major tools left out.

Snapseed is 100% photo editing. They give you all your basic tools, as well as spot adjustments, fine control in your vignettes/blurs/spot corrections, etc. These are the things that VSCO lacks that make Snapseed a true editor. With that said, Snapseed has plenty of their own presets, though these are little more than glorified Instagram filters. The application is coarse and extremely broad stroked generally giving poor results (if the results are usable at all) and require lots of edits to make acceptable.

This is a big wall of text, and I can elaborate as I need to, but I thought it would be easier to just give you a visual representation. I snapped a photo of a car I saw on the side of the street nearby. I shot it on a Nexus 5 which is generally considered to have a fairly mediocre camera. Lighting was pretty decent. This is the original image. This is VSCO. This is Snapseed. This is an album of all three. I messed up the crop on one of them, apologies for that.

Let me know if you want to know anything more!

TL;DR - They do different things. Look at my example images.

Original:
MKMOtBT.jpg

VSCO:
p1qNBvH.jpg

Snapseed:
uOYffXY.jpg

The Reddit thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1s59se/whats_the_big_deal_with_vsco/

yyzjohn

Banned
Ah yes, of course. Cause it depends how you get to the album page and who the artist is. More logical stuff. If I search that same album above, and get to the album page through a search, the 'Go to Artist' items is there. If I get through it from the 'Listen Now' page it doesn't.

That's not my experience at all. Whether I go from the search, Listen Now or whatever means, the menu is consistent and always has "Go to artist". I've tried it on multiple albums in multiple ways.

Husker86

Also, how the FUCK is there no text reflow within chrome. That was a feature on my first HTC Desire years ago!

Oh yeah, this. I really miss it from my motherfucking THUNDERBOLT PIECE OF SHIT (and EVO, but that wasn't really a piece of shit for its time).

Thrakier

Oh yeah, this. I really miss it from my motherfucking THUNDERBOLT PIECE OF SHIT (and EVO, but that wasn't really a piece of shit for its time).

Yeah. Reading websites is actually less fun than on my desire just because of that. It's freaking annoying to scroll left and right all the time.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Zeppu, I agree with you on Music. It is incredibly inconsistent. I don't know where things should be. There are like three overflow menu buttons on one page. I mean, I have used the app enough to know but three separate overflow menus is absurd.

yyzjohn

Banned
I also think google music is a horrible app. I use the note 2 touchwiz music app and it works perfectly for what i need it to do.

I'm wondering if the layout/functionality of the app is different based on the phone you're using? I've got a Nexus and I don't see any of the inconsistencies that were pointed out earlier. Menus are consistent and it makes sense to me.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Finally got my Moto X discount code a little while ago and got my order placed. It will be my wife's phone, but I am looking forward to playing around with it.

On the Google Music thing, aside from tapping 'Go to artist' in the overflow menu, there's a quicker way when you're in album view. Just tap the artist's cover photo at the top. One less tap. Here's a pic of it highlighted, showing it is an actual button.

Zeppu

On the Google Music thing, aside from tapping 'Go to artist' in the overflow menu, there's a quicker way when you're in album view. Just tap the artist's cover photo at the top. One less tap. Here's a pic of it highlighted, showing it is an actual button.

Holy shit! I'm an idiot.

Groof

I am, yes. I have no intention to "root" my phone or anything like that. Mainly as I have no clue how to do it, and secondly because I don't want to screw with things just yet. :p

No need to root. Recommended is to use a 3rd party launcher like Nova or Apex, as they have options for how a wallpaper is supposed to be scaled. Also they have way more options.
There are probably standalone apps that can fix the wallpaper for you, but I don't know what they are.

SuperSah

Banned
No need to root. Recommended is to use a 3rd party launcher like Nova or Apex, as they have options for how a wallpaper is supposed to be scaled. Also they have way more options.
There are probably standalone apps that can fix the wallpaper for you, but I don't know what they are.

Do they cost money?

I've not any funds in my Google Account to do that just yet.

SuperSah

Banned
Nope, pretty much all of them have free versions. Some more advanced options are missing from those, but nothing one should worry about unless you find yourself in a position where you really need them.

Great, shall test some when the Note's charged up. Which are the best?

Just Apex and Nova?

Threi

notag
You could also use a gallery app like quickpic (or even Google photos) to change the wallpaper as well.

*edit* Action Launcher is on sale!! New version too!

*edit2* and there is now a free version!

Seriously, do yourselves a favor and give this launcher a shot. It's one of the very best.

SuperSah

Banned
You could also use a gallery app like quickpic (or even Google photos) to change the wallpaper as well.

*edit* Action Launcher is on sale!! New version too!

*edit2* and there is now a free version!

Seriously, do yourselves a favor and give this launcher a shot. It's one of the very best.

I'll try it out.

So any consensus on the best mobile browsers to use? I've been using Xscope pro forever because it's always been good to me, but I doubt they'll ever update it. I think it's time to move on to another. No need to remind me to avoid chrome.

Edit: still on nexus 4.

Holy shit! I'm an idiot.
Super late reply, but it's not really obvious (I don't think at least), so it's understandable if you didn't know. I only knew because I tapped the album art one day and realized doing that plays an album from the beginning, so I just assumed tapping the artist photo did something as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom