• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
800 has it. "Voice activation enabled by Snapdragon processors even listens while on standby. The result? You enjoy power savings and voice control experience that you can use without even touching your device."

http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/processors/800

Even still you'd be bitching about the battery even more, lol. It wouldn't be free battery-wise, yo.

thespot84

Even still you'd be bitching about the battery even more, lol. It wouldn't be free battery-wise, yo.

it's likely that the s800 implementation is similar to the X8 in that it uses a separate low power core. I can't imagine it'd be any worse than the X8, but it still leaves us asking why either Qualcomm won't part with the drivers or the OEMs refused to include it.

it's likely that the s800 implementation is similar to the X8 in that it uses a separate low power core. I can't imagine it'd be any worse than the X8, but it still leaves us asking why either Qualcomm won't part with the drivers or the OEMs refused to include it.

more money. that or the power draw is too high.

Cigol

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have an Sony Xperia Z, or know of a case/some form of protection that I could buy as a gift which would still work with the official Sony dock?

Akira

People who have switched from iOS to Android, how do you disassociate your phone number with iMessage? iOS Friends who messaged my number keep getting errors and have to resend the text in order to get it through.

People who have switched from iOS to Android, how do you disassociate your phone number with iMessage? iOS Friends who messaged my number keep getting errors and have to resend the text in order to get it through.

I've never owned an iOS device but I helped people in the past after a simple google search on the topic.

i've had my s2 for 2 years now and as of a month ago my contract is up so i'm eligible for a new phone. overall, i've been pretty happy with it - my only gripes really are for some reason when i try to make a phone call it doesn't do anything (no ringtone or anything) and my phone has always had a green tint to the screen. also, in the last 6 months it randomly locks up or resets but i'm not sure if that's a software issue or because i dropped it or something.

anyway, i was looking at getting a iphone 5s but it is a lot more than i want to pay. i'm in australia and everything is generally more expensive here - currently i pay $50 AUS a month for my phone/calls/data/etc and ideally do not want to pay more than $55. for the same amount of calls/data/etc my options are:

iphone 5s - $69
iphone 5c - $60
galaxy s4 - $62
galaxy s4 mini - $52.
galaxy s3 - $48.

i'm leaning towards just getting the s4 mini as its basically the same price and from the few reviews out it seems fine. any reason why i shouldn't? as long as i can send messages and upload some shit to twitter/instagram occasionally i'm not that fussed.

edit: while i'm here - why does the GPS on my phone SUCK so bad? is this a known issue with the s2, or did i just get a dud? could it be due to my carrier? i'd say 75% of the time (often when i most need it) it just won't lock on at all, or is completely inaccurate - this is even if i am in the middle of melbourne or sydney or something.

Moto G is the best budget phone if your carrier allows unlocked phones

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Alright! 4.4.1 fixed the Bluetooth headset volume problem. So happy.

True. But see, that's why it should have came with 3000 mah. But still, I really hope it comes out.

I've never owned an iOS device but I helped people in the past after a simple google search on the topic.

LOL, great post .

Asus Padfone Mini?!

4.3" phone + 7" tablet shell

EPvxRAg.png

What device are you on? Any idea on the cause of the drain?

Nexus 4. I never figured it out. It was terrible on 4.3. It suddenly appears and won't go away until I reboot, then it reappears again randomly. Never figured a pattern and BBS didn't really find the culprit.

No issues on 4.4 then, but 4.4.1 drained my battery rather quickly again. Hopefully it's not the same issue again.

Nicktendo86

Nexus 4. I never figured it out. It was terrible on 4.3. It suddenly appears and won't go away until I reboot, then it reappears again randomly. Never figured a pattern and BBS didn't really find the culprit.

No issues on 4.4 then, but 4.4.1 drained my battery rather quickly again. Hopefully it's not the same issue again.
Ummm hope 4.4.1 doesn't fuck up my n4, been getting great battery on 4.4. Except for exchange obviously but I stopped push email and that sorted it.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
4.3 update for GS3 gives us transparent notification bar and lock screen but it goes away when you open any app

I had to research for 2 hours how to get widgets to show up on the lock screen.

Mind you I have 2 tablets with 4.3+ on them now and adding widgets on them were easy.

fuckthiscompany.jpg

Nicktendo86

4.3 update for GS3 gives us transparent notification bar and lock screen but it goes away when you open any app

I had to research for 2 hours how to get widgets to show up on the lock screen.

Mind you I have 2 tablets with 4.3+ on them now and adding widgets on them were easy.

fuckthiscompany.jpg
Haha what have they don't to the widgets then?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Haha what have they don't to the widgets then?

It's a setting under "My Device" allowing for multiple lock screen widgets now, BUT it's no instructions on how to add widgets on the lockscreen.

In 4.1.2, you would get the lock screen where you could swipe and it'll show the security options you put in place( PIN, Pattern, ect.) If you have that stuff on in 4.3, you get no widgets.

I found the + button to add widgets by accidently fucking around with the new "Light" screen unlock feature.

I think I'm more pissed about losing the weather and news ticker on the lock screen. The only option for weather is putting the Google Now widget as your first unlock screen.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Does anybody know an email app that will notify me immediately once I receive an email? I just came from an iPhone 4s and the push notification is almost instant when I receive a new email. On my galaxy s4 it seems to take a minute or two. I'm using both the built in email app and the gmail one. Is there something in the settings I can change? The app setttings itself or the android notification settings?

Nicktendo86

It's a setting under "My Device" allowing for multiple lock screen widgets now, BUT it's no instructions on how to add widgets on the lockscreen.

In 4.1.2, you would get the lock screen where you could swipe and it'll show the security options you put in place( PIN, Pattern, ect.) If you have that stuff on in 4.3, you get no widgets.

I found the + button to add widgets by accidently fucking around with the new "Light" screen unlock feature.

I think I'm more pissed about losing the weather and news ticker on the lock screen. The only option for weather is putting the Google Now widget as your first unlock screen.
What about dashclock?

Cigol

Is the Moto G a good buy in the US when a 16gb nexus 4 can be purchased for the same price as the 16gb variant?
At the same price I'd get the nexus. The moto g is a great phone though. We just got one for my mum to replace an aging iphone and had fun setting it up. It's amazing/very respectable what you get for the price.

Futureman

Moto G does seem impressive for price/performance. I would like to see what a $99 off contract phone in 10 years will look like.... (I know G is 179 or whatever, but I assume prices could keep going down with performance going up).

So I ended up buying a asus memopad 7 HD, I figured it would be good enough for an entry level tablet and it costed 100€ less. Finding good deals for higher end tablets proven impossible lol.

What I like: it's snappy enough, its a good step up from my iphone 3gs which loved to crash on neogaf whenever someone posted a slightly bigger picture o did a long post (yep...). Gifs go in slow mo for some reason, which could be firefox's fault.
I also liked the google play store's choice of apps and UI, I always found the iStore's UI dreadful and borderline unusable. I also like that the tablet can play 1080p videos without problems and could add subtitles support with an app.
I'm liking the keyboard more than I thought, I feel like I don't need an external one ( though I WILL need a cover of some sort). The battery lasts really a long time.

What I don't like: The build quality is really shoddy. I understand that they made the thing so that you would NEVER feel the heat from the components inside, but there are so many places where skin/hair/oil could deposit, in a year's time the thing will be filthy as hell (as was my 3DS lite which had a similar issue). Also, the lower part of the device, where the speakers are, is particularly weak and creaks ever so slightly.
The camera is not that great either but I have a somy handicam so w/e.
For gaming, I guess it's good for 2d gaming, but it has issues with even simple 3D games like gun bros and zen pinball (it stutters slightly). It's not a huge issue though, I could count the mobile games I would want to play on one hand. And one of those is Rayman Fiesta Run

All in all,it's a 130€ tablet and you get what you pay for, will still get a lot of use from me for a long time, hopefully. Still better than bringing my old and barely usable compaq along.

catmincer

Can anyone recommend the Sony Z1 over the HTC One?
Thanks.

I replaced my broken one with a z. It feels like a downgrade. The z1 is a nicer phone than the z but I'd go for the HTC anytime. Plus it is on 4.4 already vs z1 stuck on 4.2 until sometimes this month. Which means in Sony time, next year some time.

Does anybody know an email app that will notify me immediately once I receive an email? I just came from an iPhone 4s and the push notification is almost instant when I receive a new email. On my galaxy s4 it seems to take a minute or two. I'm using both the built in email app and the gmail one. Is there something in the settings I can change? The app setttings itself or the android notification settings?

should be instant in the gmail app. email app also should be instant if you set it up for exchange activesync.

Marco1

I replaced my broken one with a z. It feels like a downgrade. The z1 is a nicer phone than the z but I'd go for the HTC anytime. Plus it is on 4.4 already vs z1 stuck on 4.2 until sometimes this month. Which means in Sony time, next year some time.

Thanks for the advice, I looked at the modding community on XDA and the htc one is far more supported than the Z1
I will stick with the one, thanks.

jokkir

How's the Nexus 4 without a screen protector? The screen protector im using now has the left part of it peeling off and it's bothering me a lot and im thinking of removing it

Groof

How's the Nexus 4 without a screen protector? The screen protector im using now has the left part of it peeling off and it's bothering me a lot and im thinking of removing it

Pretty good actually. I got a few scratches here and there, mostly due to drops, but other than that it's fine. Though once the fingerprint resistant coating is gone it gets real funky

Pretty good actually. I got a few scratches here and there, mostly due to drops, but other than that it's fine. Though once the fingerprint resistant coating is gone it gets real funky

My N4 sustained a few drops with no scratches which surprised me after hearing the horrer stories. Willing to bet the moto g is much better at taking a beating but if both devices are new I would still go N4.

Cigol

I've gone nekkid with my nexus 4 since release and it's survived drops and all sorts just fine. I'm very careful with my phone that said. Seems wrong to put it in any case. The moto g is more like a Samsung and with a raised plastic back. The sort of thing your want to hide in a nice case.

I'm tempted to buy a Note 3, but next year iteration with a 64 bit cpu seems like the right choice, because performance will be much better.

Is that right ?

So I have no idea how to overcome my issue.

I currently have been using iOS for years.. and probably won't abandon it. My work phone is on a iPhone 5s and it is my personal number as well. So I have one phone.

I have Google Glass and the experience is totally neutered since Google and Apple won't get along and some features are missing.

I want to get an Android phone on the T-Mobile $30 Unlimited Data Pre-Paid plan. The only issue is that I don't want to abandon my iPhone so I will get two phones and be one of "those" guys.

I'm thinking of getting a Moto X. The biggest issue is sending text messages from Google Glass. I can send them via the Android but it will be on a totally different phone number :( Is my only option porting my phone # from my iPhone off and onto Google Voice and forwarding the Android stuff to the Google Voice stuff? Ooof. Trying to find an easy solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom