• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Might never be released now with the Microsoft purchase but this was going to be an ultra low end device like Nokia Asha's phones for emerging markets; running custom forked version of Android.
BZ8QULBCEAA2RLz.jpg

The Verge

Might never be released now with the Microsoft purchase but this was going to be an ultra low end device like Nokia Asha's phones for emerging markets; running custom forked version of Android.
BZ8QULBCEAA2RLz.jpg

The Verge
Looks like it would've been weird to navigate with only a back button.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Overlooked the word forked.

In other news, Google updated that custom bugdroid app, Androidify. Has a holo UI now.

Milchjon

Looks like it would've been weird to navigate with only a back button.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Overlooked the word forked.

I don't totally understand this. So they would have to a) figure out a way to use apps designed to be used several buttons and b) build their own app store without having the account base that Amazon has.

Weird stuff.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Everyone loves the panda color scheme. I'm so proud of you guys for coming around.

VPhys

Just got my Moto X. Upgrading (or downgrading?) from a Samsung galaxy S4.

My first impression is that it is UNBELIEVABLY more responsive than the S4. I can't believe just how much Samsung cluttered the phone to slow it down that much. Specs clearly aren't everything and we all knew that but wow, I didn't expect this much of a difference. I wonder if the GPE editions of the GS4/HTC One preform any different.

vdlow

Just got my Moto X. Upgrading (or downgrading?) from a Samsung galaxy S4.

My first impression is that it is UNBELIEVABLY more responsive than the S4. I can't believe just how much Samsung cluttered the phone to slow it down that much. Specs clearly aren't everything and we all knew that but wow, I didn't expect this much of a difference. I wonder if the GPE editions of the GS4/HTC One preform any different.

I'm using a port of the GPE ROM in my S4 and it is years ahead of Touchwiz in terms of performance and responsiveness, especially after KitKat. Samsung really fuck up with things.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Yeah I have gotten used to this. Launchers are going to have to find a way to do this or Im gonna be using GEL exclusively going forward. I love swiping to the left and getting to Now.

I love Google Now, but I hate the way GEL shoves it down your throat. From your home screen, there are no fewer than four ways to get to Google Now:
  • Say 'OK Google'
  • Swipe from the left
  • Swipe up from the Home button
  • Tap the (unremovable) search bar

It's too much.

Emwitus

I love Google Now, but I hate the way GEL shoves it down your throat. From your home screen, there are no fewer than four ways to get to Google Now:
  • Say 'OK Google'
  • Swipe from the left

It's too much.
Yup. Can't see the difference with swipe from bottom. That's why im sticking to aviate. More if my they could allow a transparent or white navigation

SimleuqiR

• Say 'OK Google'
  • Swipe from the left

It's too much.

I agree, but I think there is a reason behind it.

The Search Bar is the most visually accessible option. I think the average user is more used to this method of launching Google search. I would say most people are not willing to yell at their phone "OK Google". So the search bar won't go away anytime soon from the GEL.

"OK Google" - Awesome little feature, but it's best used for hands free access. While driving I can see myself asking Google for info. Otherwise, if I have the phone in my hands ,and they are free to use it, I would not yell at my phone for info.

Swipe Left (essentially the Google Now home screen cards) - I say Google created this because they couldn't put the Now cards in to Notification drop down menu. These cards need a placed for them to show up. Note that when you hit the Search Bar these cards don't come up at all. So there is a difference between using the Search Bar and swiping to the Left.

Swipe up from the Home - this was initially the first way to access Google Now. I don't think they will remove this because of how GEL allows you to create an infinite amount of homescreens. So if you are at your 10th homescreen, swiping up from Home is the fastest way to getting to your Google Now cards.

It seems messy, but it's not without thought.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I agree, but I think there is a reason behind it.

The Search Bar is the most visually accessible option. I think the average user is more used to this method of launching Google search. I would say most people are not willing to yell at their phone "OK Google". So the search bar won't go away anytime soon from the GEL.

"OK Google" - Awesome little feature, but it's best used for hands free access. While driving I can see myself asking Google for info. Otherwise, if I have the phone in my hands ,and they are free to use it, I would not yell at my phone for info.

Swipe Left (essentially the Google Now home screen cards) - I say Google created this because they couldn't put the Now cards in to Notification drop down menu. These cards need a placed for them to show up. Note that when you hit the Search Bar these cards don't come up at all. So there is a difference between using the Search Bar and swiping to the Left.

Swipe up from the Home - this was initially the first way to access Google Now. I don't think they will remove this because of how GEL allows you to create an infinite amount of homescreens. So if you are at your 10th homescreen, swiping up from Home is the fastest way to getting to your Google Now cards.

It seems messy, but it's not without thought.

These are fair points. However, I really only use one home screen, so it's overkill for me. Allowing me to remove the Google Search bar from my home screen would alleviate most of my annoyance with the setup.

reKon

Banned
Does GEL substantially affect battery on the new Nexus 7? Also, what if I want to use this launcher on my HTC One? What it affect battery for it as well?

Shambles

• Say 'OK Google'
  • Swipe from the left

It's too much.

Yup. GEL is garbage and removes a useful side home screen in order to add yet another way to get to google now. If you usually only use a single home screen it's fine but most peoples phones that I've used make use of at least a centre, left, and right home screen if not more. I started to mess with Nova before the 4.4 update so it really doesn't affect me.

Sony just released the open source archive for the Z Ultra GPE. Could be some goodies in there for custom ROM makers and for people who want to covert their regular C6806 into GPE.

SimleuqiR

These are fair points. However, I really only use one home screen, so it's overkill for me. Allowing me to remove the Google Search bar from my home screen would alleviate most of my annoyance with the setup.

Well, you are in luck. You can install Nova Launcher and just access the Google Now cards from the Home button. You can also remove the search bar if that's not your thing. Presto! Google Now pretty much out of the way.

I'm sticking to GEL because I believe Google will eventually put it up on the Play Store and once that's done, they will start tweaking and refining it to something more intuitive.

In Matias I trust.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Spotify is kicking ass and taking names today.

20 new markets for Spotify
Artist Shuffle Play On Phones
New Tablet designed App with Free Ad Streaming like on Desktop

Dear Google you've been put on notice. Time to step your game up!!!

SimleuqiR

Didn't Spotify actually start giving a damn about their Android app once Music All Access was released? Granted, I don't use Spotify but that's what I've heard from people.

I'm not sure what you mean by "step up your game"? Aren't Music and Spotify different business models in the end?

jokkir

I feel pretty content with the GEL. It doesn't look too bad and the functionality is there.

Maybe until I want to start customizing it I'll switch back to Nova but so far the GEL has been fine (and I've been a huge supporter of homescreen customization pre-Kitkat. No idea what happened lol)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Okay, so 4.4.2 still hasn't fixed my Nexus 7 2013's crashes. At first I thought it was Chrome, but I think it might just be Android itself. It must have shut itself down overnight while I was sleeping.

It then shut itself down again while I was charging it this morning. I'm just about to give up and return this thing.

yyzjohn

Banned
Okay, so 4.4.2 still hasn't fixed my Nexus 7 2013's crashes. At first I thought it was Chrome, but I think it might just be Android itself. It must have shut itself down overnight while I was sleeping.

It then shut itself down again while I was charging it this morning. I just about to give up and return this thing.

Sounds like your Nexus 7 is defective, return it and get a replacement.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Didn't Spotify actually start giving a damn about their Android app once Music All Access was released? Granted, I don't use Spotify but that's what I've heard from people.

I'm not sure what you mean by "step up your game"? Aren't Music and Spotify different business models in the end?

Yes and no. I mean Google Music added in radio and has all access now.

Then again again it's Google so that shit works in like 2 countries. That's been a continual non address problem that Google sucks at getting their services out across the world.

Plus now on my tablet I basically have access to all of Spotify's music catalog for free with ads thrown in here and there. That's HUGE.

Threi

notag

20 new markets, still nothing for Canada.

SimleuqiR

Yes and no. I mean Google Music added in radio and has all access now.

Then again again it's Google so that shit works in like 2 countries. That's been a continual non address problem that Google sucks at getting their services out across the world.

Plus now on my tablet I basically have access to all of Spotify's music catalog for free with ads thrown in here and there. That's HUGE.

Google doesn't suck at getting their services out across the world. It's more to do with all the red tape and legal issues that they have to iron out. It's definitely not a technical issue. AFAIK legal issues (copyrights, licences deals, etc) don't get resolved as fast as technology limitations. So if All Access is not available in your region is more the fault of these legal roadblocks.

You also have to remember that when Google enters a new market they tend to be very disruptive and the old gatekeepers will do anything in their power to keep things the same or get some heavy cash from Google.

I get the frustration, but it is unrealistic to expect Google to not release or improve a service until it is available in MOST countries. They would fall behind the competition if they waited for all the legal issues to be iron out worldwide.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sounds like your Nexus 7 is defective, return it and get a replacement.
Yeah, I will. I've heard horror stories regarding Asus Canada's RMA process, so this is going to do nothing other than sour me on the device even more. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom