• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dammit.

So I found out why the OTA wasn't installing. After being tired of waiting for the OTA to pop up again (after it failed twice last time, which I assumed was because I had a custom recovery) I tried ADB sideload.

During installation it complained about something related to an unexpected velvet.apk. This is because Google disabled Google Now so there's a hack which involves rooting, replacing google search with an earlier version, setting up Google Now and then updating through the store.

Anyway, I'm fucked.

Factory reset and update?

Dammit.

So I found out why the OTA wasn't installing. After being tired of waiting for the OTA to pop up again (after it failed twice last time, which I assumed was because I had a custom recovery) I tried ADB sideload.

During installation it complained about something related to an unexpected velvet.apk. This is because Google disabled Google Now so there's a hack which involves rooting, replacing google search with an earlier version, setting up Google Now and then updating through the store.

Anyway, I'm fucked.

I don't think you have to root. Can you try and push an older velvet.apk to the system folder? I had the same issue with thermal.conf (leftovers from 3rd party kernels) but I managed to fix it so the update came through. (from 4.3 to 4.4)

Try the Nexus toolkit, you might be able to push the file to system. (or where it says the file is located during the error)

Zeppu

Factory reset and update?

I don't think you have to root. Can you try and push an older velvet.apk to the system folder? I had the same issue with thermal.conf (leftovers from 3rd party kernels) but I managed to fix it so the update came through. (from 4.3 to 4.4)

Try the Nexus toolkit, you might be able to push the file to system. (or where it says the file is located during the error)

Yep, been playing for the past two hours and I finally managed to get it in a way where I'm happy with it.

I had moved Velvet.apk to /system/priv-app/ successfully. That's fine. That allowed me to update to 4.4.2 however when I moved Velvet (which is com.google.android.googlequicksearch in /data/app) the data gets reset and I lose Google Now once more.

Obviously I realized this would happen too late so I once again uninstalled Google Search, installed Google Search 2.7, set up Google Now, updated to latest and manually installed Velvet.apk. Then I used titanium backup to backup the data of Google Search, and moved Velvet.apk once more to /system/priv-app/. Data got reset once more but the file was in the location which is adequate for adb sideload to work.

Updated to 4.4.2, restored data from titanium backup for Google Search et voilà. Phone is in a state where OTAs won't complain but I have a backup of the data to keep Google Now on.

That being said FUCK YOU GOOGLE for turning off Google Now for me.

kehs

Banned
Yep, been playing for the past two hours and I finally managed to get it in a way where I'm happy with it.

I had moved Velvet.apk to /system/priv-app/ successfully. That's fine. That allowed me to update to 4.4.2 however when I moved Velvet (which is com.google.android.googlequicksearch in /data/app) the data gets reset and I lose Google Now once more.

Obviously I realized this would happen too late so I once again uninstalled Google Search, installed Google Search 2.7, set up Google Now, updated to latest and manually installed Velvet.apk. Then I used titanium backup to backup the data of Google Search, and moved Velvet.apk once more to /system/priv-app/. Data got reset once more but the file was in the location which is adequate for adb sideload to work.

Updated to 4.4.2, restored data from titanium backup for Google Search et voilà. Phone is in a state where OTAs won't complain but I have a backup of the data to keep Google Now on.

That being said FUCK YOU GOOGLE for turning off Google Now for me.

All you had to do what flash the system.img to restore it to normal.

Zeppu

All you had to do what flash the system.img to restore it to normal.

Wouldn't that wipe everything though? Or is data retained? I've been out of the loop since the Hero days since I never had to do any of this shit on the Galaxy Nexus (bootloader locked for lifetime, yo).

Zeppu

Nope. You can flash system/recovery/boot .imgs without messing with your data. As long as you don't use the script that comes bundled with the images

Sweet. At least now I'm settled though. Now whatever happens I have the titanium backup of Google Search with Now enabled so I don't have to go through all this crap ever again.

yyzjohn

Banned
Nope. You can flash system/recovery/boot .imgs without messing with your data. As long as you don't use the script that comes bundled with the images

That's the beauty of using fastboot and flashing the system images, just don't wipe out/overwrite "userdata" and you're good to go.

gatisimo

Is there anyway to switch a phone upgrade so that I could keep my unlimited Verizon plan?

If you have another line on the account, you can upgrade the phone on that line, then call and switch your old phone back and have them activate the new phone on the unlimited line. I upgraded my brother's phone by using my mother's upgrade that way. She didn't have unlimited, so no loss there.

kehs

Banned
Dec 12 (Reuters) - U.S. wireless carriers are hammering out the final details of a deal with the Federal Communications Commission to adopt new policies to make it easier for consumers to "unlock" their mobile phones for use on a competitor's network.

The agreement, expected soon, would ensure that providers notify customers about the eligibility of their phones for unlocking - by text message, for example - and could also cover some pre-paid phones, industry sources say.

The deal would also require carriers to process or deny unlocking requests within two business days, according to FCC's earlier

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/12/12/usa-wireless-unlocking-idINL1N0JO23J20131212

---

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has a new deputy director: Former Google exec Michelle Lee. Lee, who previously served as head of patents and patent strategy at Google, had been heading up the Silicon Valley branch of the USPTO. Her promotion to deputy director of the federal agency, which she will oversee until its vacant director’s slot is filled, should bring to the office a unique Silicon Valley perspective on intellectual property issues.

So good.

http://allthingsd.com/20131212/form...d-deputy-director-of-the-uspto/?mod=atd_gplus

So picked up a G2 on Tmo. Used it on my commute this morning. It was about 45 minutes. Played with it a bit and listened to music. Had my One as well and didn't even touch it. Once I got to work my G2 was still at 100%. My One dropped to 92%. Lolwut?

DagsJT

Not sure what to do with my HTC One. Got it off eBay yesterday and it's fine apart from the low light camera which is a mess. Not just a purple tint but at times the screen is completely purple.

I've read HTC were aware and 4.3 was supposed to fix it but some are saying it's actually worse since then.

Given the camera was a big selling poiby, this is hugely disappointing. Is 4.4 likely to fix it? People have sent their phone to HTC and it appears to fix it but then the issue comes back. From my experience, it's a lot worse when the phone is warm from use so not convinced this can be fixed apart from a whole new revision of the camera module.

The phone is great otherwise, I prefer it to my N4. But I can't take a photo after 3pm at the moment due to the lack of natural light and the purple tint which becomes a purple screen as the night goes on.

Hmm...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So picked up a G2 on Tmo. Used it on my commute this morning. It was about 45 minutes. Played with it a bit and listened to music. Had my One as well and didn't even touch it. Once I got to work my G2 was still at 100%. My One dropped to 92%. Lolwut?

the G2 battery is amazing, that's what

this_guy

Not sure what to do with my HTC One. Got it off eBay yesterday and it's fine apart from the low light camera which is a mess. Not just a purple tint but at times the screen is completely purple.

I've read HTC were aware and 4.3 was supposed to fix it but some are saying it's actually worse since then.

Given the camera was a big selling poiby, this is hugely disappointing. Is 4.4 likely to fix it? People have sent their phone to HTC and it appears to fix it but then the issue comes back. From my experience, it's a lot worse when the phone is warm from use so not convinced this can be fixed apart from a whole new revision of the camera module.

The phone is great otherwise, I prefer it to my N4. But I can't take a photo after 3pm at the moment due to the lack of natural light and the purple tint which becomes a purple screen as the night goes on.

Hmm...

Sounds like a defective unit. My friend had an HTC One on AT&T that had the purple haze and got his phone swapped out at an AT&T store.

SimleuqiR

I know you didn't ask me, but my Hangouts updated yesterday to 2.0.216 (939144-30).

That's the latest version, AFAIK.

Google staged rollouts take some time. So unless I see the blogs light up with news of an update it usually means there is no new update (for the most part).

Keyboard and Drive updated for me, but there is not buzz about it. So who knows.

Quoting myself. I just got this elusive Hangouts update!

• Hangouts (2.0.217)
  • Maps
  • Music v5.3.1317M.940995

All updated now.
Probably bug fixes. Hope AP has some more detailed info.

yyzjohn

Banned
Quoting myself. I just got this elusive Hangouts update!

• Hangouts (2.0.217)
  • Maps
  • Music v5.3.1317M.940995

All updated now.
Probably bug fixes. Hope AP has some more detailed info.

It's pretty scary that I looked at that music version number and knew I was behind without even checking my app.

Hmm, Google Play store for me still showing version as v5.3.1316M....guess I don't see the update until it hits my device?

zedge

Apparently the g+ update also allows you to make it snow in pics. Just open a pic full screen in photos and shake your phone. :/

Emwitus

Apparently the g+ update also allows you to make it snow in pics. Just open a pic full screen in photos and shake your phone. :/
I think that's been in there for a while. Well at least for me. I took a photo of myself in the snow and it automatically made it a gif of falling snow when it auto uploaded the pic. Works the same as how it autoawesomizes videos and pics

kehs

Banned
I think that's been in there for a while. Well at least for me. I took a photo of myself in the snow and it automatically made it a gif of falling snow when it auto uploaded the pic. Works the same as how it autoawesomizes videos and pics

Thats the automatic one, when google recognizes snow in the picture.

Now you can add the snow effect to any picture manually.

Emwitus

Thats the automatic one, when google recognizes snow in the picture.

Now you can add the snow effect to any picture manually.
Ahhhh. Sweet! Its amazing how much better the whole UI looks now especially the photos. Using aviate with Google now as my only widgets and a light theme and I'm loving how everything blends in

Edit: shake not working :-(

Eanan

Is there a Google OT or a Google music OT? I couldn't find one. If there is then please link me.

In the time being, heres what im wondering. Its related to Google music.

Does anyone else have this error; using chrome browser on my laptop, but when I go to the labs option, and enable HTML5 Audio, and click save; the page refreshes but HTML5 Audio has been disable again. Any help guys?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is there a Google OT or a Google music OT? I couldn't find one. If there is then please link me.

In the time being, heres what im wondering. Its related to Google music.

Does anyone else have this error; using chrome browser on my laptop, but when I go to the labs option, and enable HTML5 Audio, and click save; the page refreshes but HTML5 Audio has been disable again. Any help guys?

It seems to be a recent Chrome bug. It used to work fine earlier in the year.

Edit: I am having the same bug in the latest Chrome.

Doopliss

This article confused me. I was thinking hasn't Chrome for Android had this feature for ages? Well it basically has, but as noted in the source article it only previously applied to sites which explicitly disabled zooming. A few examples being the mobile versions of NeoGAF, Steam, Giant Bomb, Reddit and The Verge. It's great that the delay is removed on zoomable pages but shame on Android Police for not making the distinction.

markot

Banned
If you were buying a phone right...... now! What would you get?

Nexus 5? Cons! No expandable, but cheaper.
LG G2? Cons! No expandable, expensiver sorta, also LG, but super specs, goodest battery.
Xperia z1! Cons! Most expensive, water proof, best camera of the bunch.

Or maybe a Moto g? But no expandable either >.<

?!!?

Problem is to get a moto g in australia it ends up at like $300, so I may as well get a nexus then!

markot

Banned
Clouds for chumps!

Google play music on pc on flash?! WHATS IS THIS THE 80s?!

Do I really need a super good phone? No. No one does. But do I want one? I dont know!

Also, fucking htc and their 'unibody' design, cant get water out of that shit!

AHA-Lambda

Hey guys need some help, and didn't think I should need to make a thread for it.

I just got an Xperia Z1 after upgrading from an iPhone 4S, and I'm not receiving any texts from other people who use iPhones, seems to be a glitch of sort with iMessage.

I've already removed my registered iPhone from my Apple Support account.
I've tried putting my sim back into the iPhone to deactivate iMessage from there.
I'm going to phone Apple Support tomorrow for help.

Also strangest part is my brother can text me from his iPhone but one of my mates can't so I've got no clue if anything I've done so far has worked =/

Can anyone give me a hand?

yyzjohn

Banned
Hey guys need some help, and didn't think I should need to make a thread for it.

I just got an Xperia Z1 after upgrading from an iPhone 4S, and I'm not receiving any texts from other people who use iPhones, seems to be a glitch of sort with iMessage.

I've already removed my registered iPhone from my Apple Support account.
I've tried putting my sim back into the iPhone to deactivate iMessage from there.
I'm going to phone Apple Support tomorrow for help.

Also strangest part is my brother can text me from his iPhone but one of my mates can't so I've got no clue if anything I've done so far has worked =/

Can anyone give me a hand?

Login to this apple site and de-register your device. Same exact thing happened to me when i switched to Android. Apple makes this difficult on purpose so people think twice about switching.

https://supportprofile.apple.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom