• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Do you have to use imessage?

I dont like that google is trying to defaulterise hangouts >.< if I get a nexus do I have to use that!?

markot

Banned
LG is abandoning phones arent they?!

I might get one of those, but then I might not!

Im gonna miss beats >.< the sound on my one was great. But then they shouldnt have made it so water unfriendly.

Jake.

i've had my s4 mini for almost a fortnight now and have been super happy with it...except one thing. in the last week or so, wi-fi doesn't work at all - it will connect to the router fine (and stay connected) but nothing ever loads whatsoever and the upload/download arrows never light up. i've reset the router and tried my old s2 and ipad which both still work fine. any ideas?

Groof

Might get a note 3 >_< but might not!

Samsungs a deterrrrrrant.

Stop overthinking things and just go with whatever you think will suit you the best. Right now the top tier phones IMO are the Nexus 5 and LG G2. LG have promised a 4.4 update for the G2, which is at least better than what they've done in the past.
Note 3 is a good all around phone which will be future proof for a while, or you could wait for the S5 in spring.

ZZMitch

Hey guys, it looks like my Galaxy S2 kicked the bucket this morning so I am going to get a new phone I think. I am with Bell in Canada and can early upgrade for about 100 bucks since my contract is up in September anyway so I think I will jump on a new phone.

The Nexus 5 is free with a 2 year contract (better than the 3 year one I had with the S2!) and it seems like the phone to get based on reviews and stuff. I haven't been following new tech for a while so I just wanted to make sure I am making the right decision.

Thanks!

jokkir

Hey guys, it looks like my Galaxy S2 kicked the bucket this morning so I am going to get a new phone I think. I am with Bell in Canada and can early upgrade for about 100 bucks since my contract is up in September anyway so I think I will jump on a new phone.

The Nexus 5 is free with a 2 year contract (better than the 3 year one I had with the S2!) and it seems like the phone to get based on reviews and stuff. I haven't been following new tech for a while so I just wanted to make sure I am making the right decision.

Thanks!

Would you mind paying extra than the 0$? I would probably suggest a Note 3 or LG G2 for the better battery life. Nexus 5 is still pretty great though so you can't go wrong with it.

RM8

I bought an iPhone 5C to replace my Xperia SP.
I might sell the iPhone instead, lol, this was one heck of an impulse purchase :(

Sprint may merge with T-Mobile, creating the Unholy Trinity

Sprint is "working toward a possible bid for rival T-Mobile" but is first examining regulatory concerns that could prevent such a merger, the Wall Street Journal reported today.

A merger would leave the US cellular market with only three major carriers, although a combined Sprint/T-Mobile would perhaps be a more formidable opponent to market leaders AT&T and Verizon Wireless. AT&T attempted to buy T-Mobile, but it dropped those plans in December 2011 after opposition from the Justice Department and Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

Sprint hasn't made a final decision on a bid, but it could happen in the first half of 2014 and be worth more than $20 billion "depending on the size of any stake in T-Mobile that Sprint tries to buy," the Journal reported. "But it would likely face tough opposition from antitrust authorities, who worry consumers could suffer without a fourth national competitor to keep a check on prices," the report said. AT&T's takeover bid for T-Mobile would have been $39 billion.

The Journal's sources indicate that Sprint is wary of wasting time on a deal that might not come to fruition, but the company's owner is leading the charge. "Driving the current effort is SoftBank Chief Executive Masayoshi Son, an aggressive acquirer who bought control of Sprint earlier this year and has made no secret of his desire to grow in the US via further deals," the Journal wrote.

Sprint may find a willing partner in T-Mobile. "Deutsche Telekom AG owns about 67 percent of T-Mobile US and is looking to possibly exit the US market," the Journal wrote. "Executives from Sprint and T-Mobile have argued publicly that the government should allow a combination of the two companies, as it would give them the scale to make the network investments and spectrum purchases needed to compete against Verizon Wireless and AT&T."

Sprint and T-Mobile would have a combined 53 million postpaid subscribers, compared to Verizon's 95 million and AT&T's 72 million.

T-Mobile previously merged with MetroPCS, while Sprint gained 100 percent ownership of Clearwire in July 2013.

T-Mobile has become a favorite among some cellular customers with its claim to be an "uncarrier" that offers more innovative plans than the market's biggest players. A year ago, T-Mobile said it would eliminate phone subsidies. In July, "T-Mobile unveiled a new type of mobile service plan that will allow customers to upgrade their phones up to twice a year with no outright financial penalty or waiting period," we reported at the time. Three months later, T-Mobile made data roaming free in 100 countries.

Consumer advocacy group Free Press is not a fan of the possible merger. Group CEO Craig Aaron issued a statement saying, "The public doesn't need fewer competitors and fewer choices—not when the wireless market already has so little competition. As they did in blocking the merger between AT&T and T-Mobile, the FCC and Justice Department must carefully and closely scrutinize this deal and its impacts on consumers and their wallets. The public will get nothing good out of this deal."

Public Knowledge Senior Staff Attorney John Bergmayer reacted similarly. "A market with only three major carriers would be much more prone to 'coordinated effects' where 'competing' companies act as an effective cartel, even if they don't meet secretly to split up the market," he wrote. "All they need to do is match each others' pricing moves and pay attention to press statements and you have the same result as an illegal cartel without any lawbreaking. This is just as bad for consumers. ... In a market with just three carriers, it's less likely that one of them would make the same kinds of disruptive moves T-Mobile has made recently with its 'Uncarrier' program. ... [P]olicymakers should be clear that we need a minimum of four national carriers. This encourages investment in numbers three and four, just as we've seen in the wake of the blocked AT&T/T-Mobile deal."

The US, which has a major spectrum auction coming up in 2015, should also ensure that smaller carriers get enough airwaves, Bergmayer wrote. AT&T has argued that there shouldn't be any restrictions on how much spectrum itself and Verizon Wireless can buy, or that if there are restrictions that they should apply equally to all carriers regardless of size.

Should it happen? Are 3 big companies the best idea for competition?

I'm looking to get a Note 3 as well, my current carrier is Verizon. It's 300 bucks with contract renewal through them. Although it's 200 bucks through best buy with activation. Wondering if I should jump on that, or if there may be any last minute holiday deals that'll be better.

wilflare

I'm looking to get a Note 3 as well, my current carrier is Verizon. It's 300 bucks with contract renewal through them. Although it's 200 bucks through best buy with activation. Wondering if I should jump on that, or if there may be any last minute holiday deals that'll be better.

get it! :D I love my Note 3 :D

markot

Banned
A- how do i Make it so that the S-View case automatically turns on the quick view thingy when I take it out of my pocket?

B: Can I make it so that the quick sidebar only shows the little tab when the pen is out?

C: Can I turn off the magazine swipe up thing and make it google now??

SuperSah

Banned
A- how do i Make it so that the S-View case automatically turns on the quick view thingy when I take it out of my pocket?

B: Can I make it so that the quick sidebar only shows the little tab when the pen is out?

C: Can I turn off the magazine swipe up thing and make it google now??

Nope. I don't think you can. Just swtich off Multi-Window from the quick settings.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
4.4.2 fixed my Nexus 10 random reboot issue. I think. It's been on for a couple of days without a random restart. Amazing. As you all know, I've had a love hate relationship with it. Hopefully this update is the start of something new.

But I'd still ditch this POS for a 4:3 Nexus tablet in a heartbeat. A heartbeat.

phoenixyz

4.4.2 fixed my Nexus 10 random reboot issue. I think. It's been on for a couple of days without a random restart. Amazing. As you all know, I've had a love hate relationship with it. Hopefully this update is the start of something new.

But I'd still ditch this POS for a 4:3 Nexus tablet in a heartbeat. A heartbeat.

But... the N10 is not that bad...
I have to tell this to myself
But seriously, the N10 ran really well with 4.3. I hope it's back to this level now with 4.4.2.

markot

Banned
A:How do I turn on car mode on my note 3 ?
B: How do I turn off the recommended apps thingy when I plug in headphones in the notifications??

thespot84

jumped ship to tmo from verizon for an unlocked moto x and could not be happier. I can't vouch for tmo coverage elsewhere but i imagine in any other major metro area (i'm in Denver) it's likely fine, and the moto x is super enjoyable to use.

jwk94

So for the last two weeks I've been low on storage no matter how much stuff I delete. I decided to see what was taking up so much space and within the "Misc" category of the system files, I found a thing called "o" that's taking up 22GB. Does anybody know what this is?

I've been using a launcher that let's me use the "OK Google" voice stuff and Google Now integration with my Nexus 10 (I forget the name of it), but it just updated and messed everything up.

The icons seem to have gotten bigger, there's less space for apps in both the dock and the rest of the screen, and I can't resize widgets like Gmail anymore. After the update the gmail widget takes up half the screen! Worst of all is that there doesn't seem to be any settings options either (stuff like icon resizing or number of rows/columns), at least none that I can find.

I wasn't using the hands free voice stuff often enough for it to be that useful, so I won't have a problem going back to the default launcher. Still, it sucks that whatever updated seems to have fudged up that alternate one pretty bad. I did really like having Google Now just by swiping to the left, some of that stuff was useful. :(

Edit: Google experience launcher I think is the name of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom