• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
was hoping it to have functions similar to AirPlay... but for now, there's a very limited selection as to what can be casted :/

actually, I just want to be able to cast my photos and videos on the TV

You can do that now.

Grab the Avia app and pay the $3 IAP for Chromecast support. Boom you can stream all your personal media to your TV.

Vanillalite

I just bought a Tegra Note 7. On sale in Currys/PC World for £99.99

First impressions: £100 for this seems a bargain.

Solid buy for the price point. Way better performance wise than the usual tablets at that price. Plus the stylus supposedly is rather good.

Great pick up especially if you've never owned a tablet.

Solid buy for the price point. Way better performance wise than the usual tablets at that price. Plus the stylus supposedly is rather good.

Great pick up especially if you've never owned a tablet.

I've got an Asus Fonepad.....

Yeah, this is a lot better. And the stylus functions could prove to be rather lol.

/draws more moustaches on fb friends.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Android GAF is dead. Long live Android Hangouts.

kehs

Banned
I'm actually taking steroids now.

DCh2nql.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just pop in, check the last few messages, be out.

My mom's first smartphone, a purple back with orange accents Moto X, just arrived today. Looking forward to hopefully lots of funny autocorrected texts.

Groof

My mom's first smartphone, a purple back with orange accents Moto X, just arrived today. Looking forward to hopefully lots of funny autocorrected texts.

I'd love to see some photos of that combo, if you can grab some. Also what coloured front is it, white or black?

Afrikan

hey everyone...

ok I'm FINALLY moving on from my Epic 4g. :(

but I want to have access old text messages and call logs.

I have an S4 now...but I haven't activated it yet.

i've looked online, but i'm just wondering if there is a simple way to export all my data (sms, mms, call logs, contacts, etc) to the S4

I know they have that Samsung Smart app thing, but my Epic 4g is not supported.

there has to be a simpler way no?

I see some apps that let you backup your sms to gmail...but if I (can i?) restore in on my phone will it link up with my contacts lists? I want to be able to go into my contacts, see some old/recent friend...check old conversations. (like I can do right now with the Epic 4g)

Husker86

hey everyone...

i've looked online, but i'm just wondering if there is a simple way to export all my data (sms, mms, call logs, contacts, etc) to the S4

I see some apps that let you backup your sms to gmail...but if I (can i?) restore in on my phone will it link up with my contacts lists? I want to be able to go into my contacts, see some old/recent friend...check old conversations. (like I can do right now with the Epic 4g)

MyBackup Pro will do it, but you'll need to pay to restore to separate device.

That's probably the best option for unrooted phones.

hey everyone...

I use SMS Backup and Restore for SMS. As it states it's only for SMS so any MMS stuff won't carry over. Contacts should be saved onto your Google profile. As far as call logs go, I have no idea. That was never really important to me.

lol i hate this barebone stock OS on my moto G. it feels so limited... I'm starting to miss the Sony Xperia OS. :(

Yea I was never a big fan of stock because it really didn't offer much in terms of extra functionality. I guess they did add the OK Google thing recently, but outside of that, it never matched any of the cool software touches that TW and LG's UI offered (ugly as they may be).

tr4656

lol i hate this barebone stock OS on my moto G. it feels so limited... I'm starting to miss the Sony Xperia OS. :(
What is so limiting?
I use SMS Backup and Restore for SMS. As it states it's only for SMS so any MMS stuff won't carry over. Contacts should be saved onto your Google profile. As far as call logs go, I have no idea. That was never really important to me.

Yea I was never a big fan of stock because it really didn't offer much in terms of extra functionality. I guess they did add the OK Google thing recently, but outside of that, it never matched any of the cool software touches that TW and LG's UI offered (ugly as they may be).
But stock runs so much better and is less bloated. Also, why not use apps instead of the weird stuff Samsung/LG/HTC/whoever adds.

kIdMuScLe

What is so limiting?

But stock runs so much better and is less bloated. Also, why not use apps instead of the weird stuff Samsung/LG/HTC/whoever adds.

Basically I'm already missing the Automatic startup of my music player when i plug-in my headphones and automatically stop once i unplug my headphones., the battery saver STAMINA mode which kills data on screen off and only have the apps that i want to be notified of working while screen is off, WiFi Location, and streaming to my TV... Everything was so simple to use.

Husker86

I can understand that a bit, I can see why some people would like the features built in.

Everything you described in your post after this one though can be done with apps. And music should stop when you unplug headphones.

Basically I'm already missing the Automatic startup of my music player when i plug-in my headphones and automatically stop once i unplug my headphones., the battery saver STAMINA mode which kills data on screen off and only have the apps that i want to be notified of working while screen is off, WiFi Location, and streaming to my TV... Everything was so simple to use.

you miss all of that bloatware!? STOCK ANDROID 4 LYFE like the nWo!

Some of those missing bells and whistles can be due to patents from competition. Pretty sure the headphone feature is an apple patent. Google isn't willing to cough up $ for licensing like the OEMS are.

Groof

Everything you can do in a skinned OEM version of android you can do in stock. The beauty about stock though is that you have the choice if you want something like that or not, it isn't shoved in your face.

Not to mention that stock looks better than OEM skins 95% of the time.

terrier

I am with you, while stock android is fine, i also miss a few features some manufacturers add, like smallapps (i really miss those) from my Xperia T. Or being able to arrange at my will the app drawer instead of being limited to an alphabetical order one.

By the way, it you miss that automatic startup thing, try the standalone app from Sony, i din't use it myself so i don't know if it will work on your motorola but since it is free...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonyericsson.extras.liveware&hl=ca

Everything you can do in a skinned OEM version of android you can do in stock. The beauty about stock though is that you have the choice if you want something like that or not, it isn't shoved in your face.
i disagree, i can't rearrange app drawer in stock android. I can in LG Samsung and Sony UIs. While I agree most skinned versions of android are too heavy, Xperia's one is really nice and light, it is basically stock with a few more options and custom icons.

Threi

notag
i disagree, i can't rearrange app drawer in stock android. I can in LG Samsung and Sony UIs. While I agree most skinned versions of android are too heavy, Xperia's one is really nice and light, it is basically stock with a few more options and custom icons.
That is a launcher feature, not a skinned UI feature. To that point you could install a 3rd party launcher on the market, that has far more functionality than any skinned launcher could ever hope to have.

Groof

That is a launcher feature, not a skinned UI feature. To that point you could install a 3rd party launcher on the market, that has far more functionality than any skinned launcher could ever hope to have.
Pretty much. Something like Apex and Nova offer much more functionality than any packed in launcher even in their free iterations. They also have minimal to no impact on battery life, so that isn't a concern either.
Now sure, the stock launcher offers very minimal customisation which is stupid, but there's an easy solution.

Cipherr

Heh, If you think this is true, you might be surprised to find out how many things skinned phones do that you can do just fine on Vanilla Android with a single app, no rooting required.

And you get those benefits at your own discretion without having it forced on you, or bundled with a bunch of other stuff that clogs up phone performance.

My only real gripe with Android after switching from iPhone is how much worse the music experience is.

How do you create a playlist without manually going through every song on your phone that you want on it? Is there another way?

Groof

My only real gripe with Android after switching from iPhone is how much worse the music experience is.

How do you create a playlist without manually going through every song on your phone that you want on it? Is there another way?
If you got the music in the Play Music cloud you can do it real simple through the web app. If it's all local I'd recommend to just search for the songs you want and add them from the overflow button (the three dots).

Assuming you're using Play Music that is.

terrier

well, i see the 'launcher' as part of the skinned UI, but i am not a technical guy so i may be wrong. I use Nova on my N5 because of that, but if i could use Xperia Launcher i'd probably choose that one over nova since it supports smallapps.

Not to mention that stock looks better than OEM skins 95% of the time.

yeah. you can do everything, they just end up working worse sometimes because often times they're truly layered on top and/or you have to root or flash a custom ROM if you have to add them yourself via stock Android while when they're integrated as an OEM feature they may work much better and smoother like active notifications , smart stay, multi window, good battery saving, etc...

terrier

Hey, look, another stock vs skin discussion!

i think stock is better most of the time, but a little further customization would be welcome.
Allowing to switch home screens/launchers from 4.4 is probably the best way, unless oems screw it. Just choose stock android or whatever launcher samsung or other manufacturers throw at you or any from playstore: previously the launcher that was there by default was always in memory even if you installed another one, unless you rooted and overwrite an alternative home.apk

Groof

i think stock is better most of the time, but a little further customization would be welcome.
Allowing to switch home screens/launchers from 4.4 is probably the best way, unless oems screw it. Just choose stock android or whatever launcher samsung or other manufacturers throw at you or any from playstore: previously the launcher that was there by default was always in memory even if you installed another one, unless you rooted and overwrite an alternative home.apk
I think this is why Google is close sourcing their new launcher. So they can put it on the Play Store and have anyone be able to switch to it. LG already has the launcher switcher in 4.2.2 so they're ahead of the curve in that regard.

Vanillalite

I think this is why Google is close sourcing their new launcher. So they can put it on the Play Store and have anyone be able to switch to it. LG already has the launcher switcher in 4.2.2 so they're ahead of the curve in that regard.

Why would you need to close source it though? You could still have an open source app on the play store...

Groof

Why would you need to close source it though? You could still have an open source app on the play store...
Because every Google app that has been placed in the Play Store so far has been close source and official Google support for the open source AOSP versions dropped.

dorkimoe

Ok guys.

I just got my first android device -motorola x (been on iphone since the 3g)

First of all. ok google search thing? holy fucking god. It works...it just plain works. Better than siri ever could.

I woke up this morning and there was this little like red thing on the screen, i touched it and it opened some game..fly over? or fly by..or something. How do i remove that? Or stop any other random games from installing/opening?
-edit: its called spotlight player- my friend helped me out with that . now to remove it somehow

Or what other tips do i need to know for battery saving? And whats the best weather app? Currently installed accuweather,and it puts the weather up in the top left corner which is super cool.

THanks

Groof

Ok guys.

I just got my first android device -motorola x (been on iphone since the 3g)

First of all. ok google search thing? holy fucking god. It works...it just plain works. Better than siri ever could.

I woke up this morning and there was this little like red thing on the screen, i touched it and it opened some game..fly over? or fly by..or something. How do i remove that? Or stop any other random games from installing/opening?
-edit: its called spotlight player- my friend helped me out with that . now to remove it somehow

Or what other tips do i need to know for battery saving? And whats the best weather app? Currently installed accuweather,and it puts the weather up in the top left corner which is super cool.

THanks

Easiest way to get a good overview of installed apps is in Settings>Apps. There apps are sorted into three categories: Downloaded which shows apps you've downloaded, Running which shows apps that are currently running in the fore-/background and All, which shows all installed apps including system apps.

Battery saving: A simple thing is to turn WiFi off when not using it. On a Moto X you can two finger swipe down the notification tray to open quick toggles, from where you can long press the WiFi icon to turn it on/off quickly. Alternatively pull the shade down normally and press the square icon in the upper right corner. For more tips read this article on Android Prism: Android Battery Tips.

Accuweather is one of the better apps. Personally I like Yahoo! Weather because it's pretty and Eye in Sky.

SimleuqiR

Sort of. If you install Whatsapp first under Dalvik and THEN switch to ART it works. If you've already switched to ART and attempt to install Whatsapp fresh, it will fail.

Yup...Can't reinstall unless you reset your device (unrooted).
Not going to do that just for Whatsapp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom