• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorkimoe

Easiest way to get a good overview of installed apps is in Settings>Apps. There apps are sorted into three categories: Downloaded which shows apps you've downloaded, Running which shows apps that are currently running in the fore-/background and All, which shows all installed apps including system apps.

Battery saving: A simple thing is to turn WiFi off when not using it. On a Moto X you can two finger swipe down the notification tray to open quick toggles, from where you can long press the WiFi icon to turn it on/off quickly. Alternatively pull the shade down normally and press the square icon in the upper right corner. For more tips read this article on Android Prism: Android Battery Tips.

Accuweather is one of the better apps. Personally I like Yahoo! Weather because it's pretty and Eye in Sky.

Thank you so much. I love the swipe down. I will checkout the weather apps. And I will check that link out! Anyway to know which apps are ok to remove?(of the pre loaded) I viewed the app list this morning but had a bunch of system stuff. Didn't wanna break something haha.

jokkir

Thank you so much. I love the swipe down. I will checkout the weather apps. And I will check that link out! Anyway to know which apps are ok to remove?(of the pre loaded) I viewed the app list this morning but had a bunch of system stuff. Didn't wanna break something haha.

Usually a quick Google search of the app will tell you what kind of app it is and if you can disable it or not. Or just ask here and we could probably determine if the app is safe by comparing it to our devices.

dorkimoe

You guys rock.
I left it at home because I knew it I brought it to work I would be messing with it all day. Gonna mess with it tonight. But seriously...that google voice thing is flawless. I need a good podcast app and hope I can figure out how to manage apps and get a full day of battery and I'll be in heaven.

Groof

Any time man. As jokkir said a quick Google search or asking here is the best way to check system apps OK for deletion, but usually system apps are only disableable and not uninstallable. Though disabling the wrong system app can also be trouble!

Edit: as for podcasts, AntennaPod if you want something good and free or Pocket Casts if you want something great but pay money.

See, this is the difference between Google and MS. Google as large as they have become, they have still manage to stay nimble and react to the industry on a timely matter. MS would have been in a different position if they had not completely discounted the iPhone for so many years.

It's crazy that it took Ballmer two years after the iPhone launched, to finally scrap Windows Mobile 7 and hit the reset button on that shit. And even then they could only come up with a stop-gap solution that was still based on the same old shitty architecture.

daoster

I've decided I'm going to jump over to T-mobile and leave the big red. I realize I'm giving up their wonderful LTE coverage and my unlimited data, but I figured T-mobile's LTE will only get better as time goes on, and I'll have unlimited data there.

So I have several questions for you kind folks that you may or may not be able to answer:
- Nexus 5 or G2?

- I just got my dad a Moto G for when we switch over to T-mobile. To make it easier for him, I want to switch the language over to Vietnamese, but I can't seem to find the Viet option in the Language Settings? Checking the same area in my Nexus 7 (2012), I see a lot more options, but in the Moto G, all I see are the more common one.

thespot84

I've decided I'm going to jump over to T-mobile and leave the big red. I realize I'm giving up their wonderful LTE coverage and my unlimited data, but I figured T-mobile's LTE will only get better as time goes on, and I'll have unlimited data there.

So I have several questions for you kind folks that you may or may not be able to answer:
- Nexus 5 or G2?

- I just got my dad a Moto G for when we switch over to T-mobile. To make it easier for him, I want to switch the language over to Vietnamese, but I can't seem to find the Viet option in the Language Settings? Checking the same area in my Nexus 7 (2012), I see a lot more options, but in the Moto G, all I see are the more common one.

I just switched from red to pink and i'd say I get good LTE about 85% of the time, HSDPA (4g) 14% of the time, and when I'm at my office which is far from a tower and built out of a giant faraday cage I get "EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY" which means it sees literally nothing. I'm on wifi at work, so it's not a big deal, though I would like to get sms while in the office. Still might jump to AT&T, not sure.

thespot84

- Nexus 5 or G2?

also do you need a sim? i have two starter kits one micro and one nano

I never turn WiFi off because the chances of me rememberung to turn it back on are low. Battery drain from WiFi is very low in comparison to how much more LTE uses. Might as well leave it on 24/7

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll be opening up Android Hangout to new members. Just shoot me a PM with your info and that you are requesting an invite.

AColdDay

My Galaxy S3 just got updated to 4.3, but I am having a little bit of trouble with it.

On the lock screen, I used to be able to swipe up on text message notification "bubbles" and it would take me directly to that text. Now that has been replaced with text message boxes. How do I go to that text from the lock screen? I've tried swiping up, down and across but none of it is working. Little help?

dorkimoe

New question time guys!

My buddy (another gafer) was telling me a little about the google now stuff or whatever the swipe up google feature thing is where it learns what you like and stuff.

He said if you get like tracking information emailed to you, it displays that too.

But i assume thats only for gmail? Anyway to make it work for the mail app? Because i use my ISP email

I really do like that Google is pushing out important apps onto the Play Store. Granted, my phone is slated to get 4.4 anyways, but it's still nice.

AndyD

aka andydumi
New question time guys!

My buddy (another gafer) was telling me a little about the google now stuff or whatever the swipe up google feature thing is where it learns what you like and stuff.

He said if you get like tracking information emailed to you, it displays that too.

But i assume thats only for gmail? Anyway to make it work for the mail app? Because i use my ISP email

No. Google Now looks for tracking stuff in Gmail. If you have your current email forwarded to a gmail address, then it will be accessible for Google Now cards.

mackattk

For wifi on/off usage. Download Smart wifi toggler. It will automatically turn on/off your wifi for known sites depending on your celullar triangulation. I use it, it will automatically turn off wifi once I leave my area for work each morning, and turn it on when I arrive back home. I never have to fiddle with the wifi switch. It really is an amazing app.

AColdDay

My Galaxy S3 just got updated to 4.3, but I am having a little bit of trouble with it.

On the lock screen, I used to be able to swipe up on text message notification "bubbles" and it would take me directly to that text. Now that has been replaced with text message boxes. How do I go to that text from the lock screen? I've tried swiping up, down and across but none of it is working. Little help?

I figured it out. You click on the text box and then side-swipe the "clear box" that appears.

Now if I can figure out why my phone is charging SOOOOO slow after this update.

Is there like a super post somewhere that explains everything to me? Haha.

I just switched from an iPhone 5 to the nexus 5 and im confused!!

MarkusRJR

How is the Kobo Arc 10 HD? My friend is able to get me a good deal on one (sub $300) and I love the look of it. Just curious if there is anything I should be worried about (the Kobo Vox turned me off the brand for tablets)? From the reviews I read it has pretty good specs but has a bit of an oversaturated screen. I'll basically be using it for media streaming, web browsing, Skype, occasional gaming, and manga/eBook reading (have tons of books off Kobo's store so I kind of like the specific features on the tablet). Storage seems like it'd be fine since I stream all my music off Xbox Music and only play a few games.

I'm moving from a Surface RT, so I'm expecting way better apps tbh. Is that going to be the case or should I lower my expectations?

phoenixyz

So Apex Launcher 2.2 is finally released. And KitKat/N5 transparency doesn't work, at all. On my N10 with 4.4.2 I can't activate status bar transparency and the control bar at the bottom is not transparent either. What is this?

Groof

So Apex Launcher 2.2 is finally released. And KitKat/N5 transparency doesn't work, at all. On my N10 with 4.4.2 I can't activate status bar transparency and the control bar at the bottom is not transparent either. What is this?

As much as it pains me to say this, switch to Nova. At least for the time being.

GEL. Google experience launcher. Google and install that.

New question time guys!

I would recommend biting the bullet and switching. Once you get moved life is a lot easier with gmail. All your contacts, apps, purchases, pics, everything is tied to the account. You log into any device and you have just about everything. Its awesome.

Threi

notag
Works fine when i tried it on my N7 (and then promptly uninstalled Apex because Nova is better). I though N10 had transparency permanently disabled? Did they fix that in 4.4.2?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
So what is it about Pocket Casts that makes it so good?
Pocket Casts has light and dark themes, the ability to sync podcasts across multiple devices, a decent podcast directory, and good support for video podcasts (including the ability to play only the audio). That said, the primary reason I use Pocket Casts is because it's easily the most attractive podcast app, and the developers have been quick with updates.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Almost done...

Me: Nexus 5
Mom: Nexus 4
Dad: Nexus 4
Little Sis: Moto G
Big Sis: <TBD>

Got em all hooked into the Googy ecosystem... the domination of Hangouts is complete (little sis was the last big holdout.)

Getting big sis a Nexus 7 for Christmas...

Almost done...

Mom: Nexus 4
Dad: Nexus 4
Little Sis: Moto G
Big Sis: <TBD>

Got em all hooked into the Googy ecosystem... the domination of Hangouts is complete (little sis was the last big holdout.)

Getting big sis a Nexus 7 for Christmas...

Looks like my situation.

Little sister: Moto X
Big sister: Moto X
Bro in Law: Moto X
Mom: TBD maybe Nexus 4
Girlfriend: Moto X
GFs Dad: Moto X
Gfs Mom: Moto X
Gfs GMA: Moto X

Google owes me

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Daaaamn, that's some next level Goovangelism power. I bow to you.
EWmof.gif

phoenixyz

As much as it pains me to say this, switch to Nova. At least for the time being.
GEL. Google experience launcher. Google and install that.
But... but I am so used to Apex!

Works fine when i tried it on my N7 (and then promptly uninstalled Apex because Nova is better). I though N10 had transparency permanently disabled? Did they fix that in 4.4.2?
Oh? I didn't know that. If that's still the case it kinda sucks.

GEL is brilliant. Swiping to Google Now to the left as you would to any launcher page is much better than the home button swipe.

I couldn't really switch back to Nova right now I got so used to just access Now from the left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom