• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Merry Christmas, Android GAF!

Merry Christmas!!!

In the last months I switched from Apple to Android again. Bought a Nexus 7 and the new Moto G. Not regretting anything. Did a similar change 2 years ago but those new devices are so much better than what I bought back then. I'm really happy with the state of Android so far.

Husker86

I thought I did when I rooted my phone, but how do I check if I actually did? I logged onto my gmail and can't find any option for phone contacts!

When in Gmail in a browser, in the upper left (above "Compose") where it says "Gmail", click it. It's actually a dropdown box and you can select "Contacts" to view stored contacts.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I thought I did when I rooted my phone, but how do I check if I actually did? I logged onto my gmail and can't find any option for phone contacts!

Go to Settings > Accounts > Google and select your account to see which items you have chosen to sync. Contacts is one of the options. You can manage those contacts manually on the desktop by going to Google.com/contacts.

Merry xmas, AndroidGAF.

tr4656

So sorry to hear that. I had to use it, too, until I got a Nexus 10 instead.

It's just clunky and shitty. It feels laggy. The interface is like a cheap web portal in an app. It is garbage. Can't you tell after using Reddit Sync?
Interface could be better but doesn't feel laggy.

Roge_NES

Merry christmas guys!

I just made the switch to Android a couple days ago and I was wondering if there's an app that could do this.

Let's say my phone is on vibrate mode and I lose it somewhere around the house, is there a way to send a SMS to the phone containing certain characters so activates some type of sound so I can find it?

Is not that I lose my phone all the time, but sometimes my little niece grabs it and forgets where she leaves it.

I used to just use the Find My iPhone feature when I was using iOS.
Is there an Find My iPhone equivalent for Android? I'm currently using the Moto X built in feature along with the one from PreyProject.

Thanks!

Husker86

Merry christmas guys!

I just made the switch to Android a couple days ago and I was wondering if there's an app that could do this.

Let's say my phone is on vibrate mode and I lose it somewhere around the house, is there a way to send a SMS to the phone containing certain characters so activates some type of sound so I can find it?

Is not that I lose my phone all the time, but sometimes my little niece grabs it and forgets where she leaves it.

I used to just use the Find My iPhone feature when I was using iOS.
Is there an Find My iPhone equivalent for Android? I'm currently using the Moto X built in feature along with the one from PreyProject.

Thanks!

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

Cerberus is good, too.

Verizon has been pushing out 4.3 for Galaxy Note II the past few days. I had no idea it was out. Verizon wants me to have a Merry Christmas I guess.

Merry Christmas Android-GAF even though my time zone won't have it until tomorrow!

ILoveBish

Verizon has been pushing out 4.3 for Galaxy Note II the past few days. I had no idea it was out. Verizon wants me to have a Merry Christmas I guess.

Merry Christmas Android-GAF even though my time zone won't have it until tomorrow!

If you install the OTA, it relocks the bootloader and there is pretty much 0 chance of getting it unlocked again thanks to the KNOX stuff.

If you install the OTA, it relocks the bootloader and there is pretty much 0 chance of getting it unlocked again thanks to the KNOX stuff.

Oh I figured that, the first thing I did when the update notification popped up was disable the updater with Titanium Backup and then I checked XDA to see if the flashable zip had been released for unlocked phones yet.

ILoveBish

Oh I figured that, the first thing I did when the update notification popped up was disable the updater with Titanium Backup and then I checked XDA to see if the flashable zip had been released for unlocked phones yet.

Yes, there is a bootloader file you can use that wont lock it but update it to the newest one, there is a new radio you can flash as well, and there are quite a few roms out already using the ota as a base. The issue is a lot of the mods i need on a phone still have not been ported to 4.3, and there are no real custom kernels other then ones based off of different carriers due to no source code for verizon note 2 yet. I am being patient, but its difficult because i want the 4.3 lock screen, the improved display and more.

DedValve

Banned
All right gaf so for christmas I got my mom a Galaxy Note 3 and she loves it (she has an obsession with massive phones).

Anyways I noticed the UI really sucks, especially for someone like her (she won't use magazines). She's in her 60's and is pretty technologically inept sometimes (and other times she surprises me with how much she knows) so I was wondering if there was any simplified yet nice looking UI for her where she can get to the stuff she needs most and still learn all the phones secrets.

Should I use themer? Any recommendations?

I'm also using themer on my phone (Nexus 5) and while it's really cool I wonder if there's something a bit more customizable. I heard I may have to root my phone which I have no problem with given proper instructions, I just want something really nice looking that also has weather, a proper music player that I can easily get to at all times regardless of app (similar to how windows phone does it by pressing the volume button).

Emwitus

All right gaf so for christmas I got my mom a Galaxy Note 3 and she loves it (she has an obsession with massive phones).

Anyways I noticed the UI really sucks, especially for someone like her (she won't use magazines). She's in her 60's and is pretty technologically inept sometimes (and other times she surprises me with how much she knows) so I was wondering if there was any simplified yet nice looking UI for her where she can get to the stuff she needs most and still learn all the phones secrets.

I'm also using themer on my phone (Nexus 5) and while it's really cool I wonder if there's something a bit more customizable. I heard I may have to root my phone which I have no problem with given proper instructions, I just want something really nice looking that also has weather, a proper music player that I can easily get to at all times regardless of app (similar to how windows phone does it by pressing the volume button).
Have you tried aviate? I really like how simplified that is.
Aviate-Homescreen.png

2013-10-14-14.00.25.png

Beginner mode?

DedValve

Banned
Beginner mode?

Have you tried aviate? I really like how simplified that is.

Thanks for these suggestions, I'll search for them in the play store.

I'm also trying to learn what widgets are. These phones are my first android ones (oh my god where has swipetext been all my life).

Any must have apps, how to get the best out of a nexus 5 and a note 3? Tips and tricks?

So far this phone is worth it for that amazing swipe text. I can't fathom how I went typing on a touchscreen.

Thanks for these suggestions, I'll search for them in the play store.

I'm also trying to learn what widgets are. These phones are my first android ones (oh my god where has swipetext been all my life).

Any must have apps, how to get the best out of a nexus 5 and a note 3? Tips and tricks?

So far this phone is worth it for that amazing swipe text. I can't fathom how I went typing on a touchscreen.

Beginner mode is something built into the device.

jey_16

Banned
Fuck....first time I dropped my htc one and it was into a river! I only realised it 15 minutes later as well since it had fallen out of my pocket. Through sheer luck, it was sitting on the floor of the river and had not flowed downstream. So fished it it out and I couldn't believe it was still working, turned it off and it's in the rice now but what what are my chances of it surviving?

yogloo

Fuck....first time I dropped my htc one and it was into a river! I only realised it 15 minutes later as well since it had fallen out of my pocket. Through sheer luck, it was sitting on the floor of the river and had not flowed downstream. So fished it it out and I couldn't believe it was still working, turned it off and it's in the rice now but what what are my chances of it surviving?

I would say small chance since you can't remove the battery but that's a good excuse for a new phone.

GatorBait

Can't believe I haven't been able to easily find the type of widget I've been looking for, so maybe you guys can help. I'm looking for a 4x1 agenda widget. Something simple that will just show the current day agenda from my calendar. It has to have a theme that makes it white though, so that it looks more similar to the Google Now cards.

I tried out the "Event Flow" calendar and I love its monthly-view calendar widget. The only problem is, it ends up 4x3 if you want to see the full month, and the smallest agenda widget is has is 4x2. So I really want a 4x1 agenda widget that can accompany it.

Husker86

Depending on your minimum specs, there are quite a few out there with Ethernet port. Personally I’ll avoid the dongle types. Here’s one which is quad core, 16gb, 2 gb ram, BT4.0, android 4.2. Fuck chromecast tbh

Minix Neo x7

But that's $140...

Those kinds of units look pretty cool, but I don't see them as a "fuck you" to chromecast. They're a completely different product.

Android GAF! I got a Nexus 5 for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out the best way to move everything from my N4 over. I'm not rooted and I do have My Backup Pro. I noticed there's a new migrate feature on it. Is that the best option? Any new methods or apps I might be missing? Also wondering if theres a way to save settings/ home screens in Apex Launcher and have them port over. Pls advise.

Husker86

Android GAF! I got a Nexus 5 for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out the best way to move everything from my N4 over. I'm not rooted and I do have My Backup Pro. I noticed there's a new migrate feature on it. Is that the best option? Any new methods or apps I might be missing? Also wondering if theres a way to save settings/ home screens in Apex Launcher and have them port over. Pls advise.

Pretty sure Apex makes a backup file on your SD card when you choose to back it up. Find it and put it on your Nexus 5 then restore.

As for everything else, you could just use My Backup Pro. On unrooted phones it can take a while though (I believe you have to select "install" for every app as it tries to restore them).

I haven't tried Android's built-in backup feature (hidden, the one you use a command line for) between phones so I don't know about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom