• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberty4all

Banned
My wife is due a hardware upgrade so I'm trying to pick the best Android phone for her that won't cost extra. She needs 32 gig memory and is coming from 3 years of IOS.

So far we are leaning towards the Xperia Z1 as she really wants a good camera, and we can get it for 0 up front, two year contract.. Any other recommendations? We Looked at the Nexus but Rogers only has 16 gig models ... Not enough memory.

SuperSah

Banned
My wife is due a hardware upgrade so I'm trying to pick the best Android phone for her that won't cost extra. She needs 32 gig memory and is coming from 3 years of IOS.

So far we are leaning towards the Xperia Z1 as she really wants a good camera, and we can get it for 0 up front, two year contract.. Any other recommendations? We Looked at the Nexus but Rogers only has 16 gig models ... Not enough memory.

Galaxy Note 3.

Liberty4all

Banned
Galaxy Note 3.

200 dollars Canadian with 2 year contract ... She doesn't want to shell out any cash. The z1 is normally 150 with a 2 year contract, but Im able to get it for $0 with the contract.

Her first choice would be IOS ... They have a deal 50 bucks for the 5S, (she has an iPhone 4), but it's only the 16 gig model. The 32 gig model is not on sale and costs 200 with 2 yr contract. She has been kind of wanting a bigger phone so I convinced her to go android. she's also looking at the Lumia 1020 (camera is important to her)but I've told her I think she would be unhappy with Windows ... I have the 920 myself and while I love the camera, there are so many apps I miss.

I'm thinking she'd like the camera on the Z1, and it also has baked in Music Unlimited functionality in the music player which she would like ... She uses the MU app almost daily on her iPhone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is $200 really that big of a deal when she owned her last phone for ~4 years? I'm just saying. I know people have different perspectives.

200 dollars Canadian with 2 year contract ... She doesn't want to shell out any cash. The z1 is normally 150 with a 2 year contract, but Im able to get it for $0 with the contract.

Her first choice would be IOS ... They have a deal 50 bucks for the 5S, (she has an iPhone 4), but it's only the 16 gig model. The 32 gig model is not on sale and costs 200 with 2 yr contract. She has been kind of wanting a bigger phone so I convinced her to go android. she's also looking at the Lumia 1020 (camera is important to her)but I've told her I think she would be unhappy with Windows ... I have the 920 myself and while I love the camera, there are so many apps I miss.

I'm thinking she'd like the camera on the Z1, and it also has baked in Music Unlimited functionality in the music player which she would like ... She uses the MU app almost daily on her iPhone.
get her the 5S.

32GB!!!

Liberty4all

Banned
Is $200 really that big of a deal when she owned her last phone for ~4 years? I'm just saying. I know people have different perspectives.

She was in a three year contract (we're Canadian) which was part of the reason she kept her iphone 4 for so long. 200 dollars is not a huge amount really ... But this year Xmas was expensive. The Z1 at 0 dollars is a lot more appealing than 200 dollars for an iPhone especially since her new contract will only be 2 years this time around. ... We both like IOS but the premium apple charges has been making less and less sense as other manufacturers offer competing phones. Even with IOS's fabled support for updates, that ended up biting us ... She wishes she had never updated her iphone 4 to IOS 7. Everything is lag city now :( .

Cost aside, the bigger issue is the size of the iPhone ... The screen size is just too small for what she wants. She doesn't want a phablet either, however, a 4.5 - 5 inch screen is just way more comfortable to surf on for more than 5 minutes. I think too that Sony has stated the z1 will be supported to at least Kit Kat, although who knows when our carrier will push through the updates. The z1 our carrier offers comes with 4.2 on it.

yogloo

I just got a SW2 smartwatch and it's awesome. Looking at notification on your wrist feels really natural especially since I'm using my galaxy note 8 as a phone. This is great.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
She was in a three year contract (we're Canadian) which was part of the reason she kept her iphone 4 for so long. 200 dollars is not a huge amount really ... But this year Xmas was expensive. The Z1 at 0 dollars is a lot more appealing than 200 dollars for an iPhone especially since her new contract will only be 2 years this time around. ... We both like IOS but the premium apple charges has been making less and less sense as other manufacturers offer competing phones. Even with IOS's fabled support for updates, that ended up biting us ... She wishes she had never updated her iphone 4 to IOS 7. Everything is lag city now :( .

Cost aside, the bigger issue is the size of the iPhone ... The screen size is just too small for what she wants. She doesn't want a phablet either, however, a 4.5 - 5 inch screen is just way more comfortable to surf on for more than 5 minutes. I think too that Sony has stated the z1 will be supported to at least Kit Kat, although who knows when our carrier will push through the updates. The z1 our carrier offers comes with 4.2 on it.

Makes sense. I hope she has no issues transitioning from iOS to Android. My wife used to hate her LG G2x which was a Gingerbread Android phone. Near unusable. But she's using my old Nexus 4 and is perfectly happy with it. Android is now something I'm willing to recommend to just anyone. Before Ice Cream Sandwich, I always hesitated.

Keep us updated.

Blackhead

Redarse
my galaxy nexus finally bit the dust and i switched to an iPhone 5s. I'm also looking for a good deal on a xperia z ultra to put stock kitkat on it. Any sales?

I just got a SW2 smartwatch and it's awesome. Looking at notification on your wrist feels really natural especially since I'm using my galaxy note 8 as a phone. This is great.
<3

Does the tablet fit in your pocket?

we musst know thisss

yogloo

my galaxy nexus finally bit the dust and i switched to an iPhone 5s. I'm also looking for a good deal on a xperia z ultra to put stock kitkat on it. Any sales?

<3

we musst know thisss

Does the tablet fit in your pocket?

Lol no. It's impossible for the tablet to fit in your pocket unless you have magician's pocket or clown pants.
It's ipad mini's size.
I usually hold it on my hand, and with this watch, it is going to go inside the bag most of the time.
So awesome.

I'm really suprised of how fast I get use to reading notification on my wrist.

Fox Mulder

I'm thinking of switching back to android from wp8. I just miss too many apps.

I'm in a contract with ATT, so would have to buy something off contract. Is the new nexus the best value I could get on something recent? I don't want to spend $700 on something.

Lol no. It's impossible for the tablet to fit in your pocket unless you have magician's pocket or clown pants.
It's ipad mini's size.
I usually hold it on my hand, and with this watch, it is going to go inside the bag most of the time.
So awesome.

I'm really suprised of how fast I get use to reading notification on my wrist.

Ok. I wanted a picture if you didn't keep it in a bag.

Something is taking up a bunch of space on the internal storage of my VZW Note II, and I can't figure out what it is.

Is my best approach to just wipe my internal storage and start fresh? Is that an easy thing to do inside of Recovery Mode?

The red bar is the Android OS. I don't know why it's classified as 'Misc'.

inb4 Hurr durr TouchWiz so bloated

Futureman

Has there always been a purplish hue around the on screen buttons when you press them? I somehow never noticed this until about a month ago. Still on 4.2.2 Galaxy Nexus.

Also is there something akin to "safe search" with the Android swype keyboard? I can't swype the word "orgasm."

Soodanim

Look at screenshots from various places lately, I've noticed that some people's calendars have common dates in them. Examples being Halloween and New Year's Eve. Is there a ready-made calendar that I can import from somewhere? Unrooted Nexus 4 running KitKat, if it matters.

gcubed

Look at screenshots from various places lately, I've noticed that some people's calendars have common dates in them. Examples being Halloween and New Year's Eve. Is there a ready-made calendar that I can import from somewhere? Unrooted Nexus 4 running KitKat, if it matters.

on your computer if you go into calendar settings -> calendar, there is a link to "browse interesting calendars" you can add calendars from there. "US Holidays" is the one that would give you all of that

So none of those phones I listed are popular?

Wonder why all those Nexus 5s are selling then.

i wanna see the receipts.

LG G2 did what .. 2 mil in recent reports? HTC One we know was a flop. Nexus 5 ... we'll see but previous models weren't exactly big sellers.

ok, Note 3 is at like 10m or something ridiculous like that, i'll give you 1 out of 4.

i wanna see the receipts.

LG G2 did what .. 2 mil in recent reports? HTC One we know was a flop. Nexus 5 ... we'll see but previous models weren't exactly big sellers.

ok, Note 3 is at like 10m or something ridiculous like that, i'll give you 1 out of 4.

Sorry bud, didn't realise this was a popularity contest.

Dude, ignore my last post, get an iPhone.

Thrakier

So, for anyone who thinks about buying a Samsung device and also thinking about making videos...well, don't buy a Samsung device. There is an issue with crackling/popping noises while recording a video and there just seems no fix to it. It's with the S4 and the Note 3 but it goes way back even till the Galaxy Nexus. My Note 1 wasn't affected though, I think, but the Note 2 was/is as it seems. There are few reports of people who don't have this issue. However, those may just be guys not noticing it. But you never know.

Read here for example:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317900

I tried varios fixes already, nothing helps.

Liberty4all

Banned
Makes sense. I hope she has no issues transitioning from iOS to Android. My wife used to hate her LG G2x which was a Gingerbread Android phone. Near unusable. But she's using my old Nexus 4 and is perfectly happy with it. Android is now something I'm willing to recommend to just anyone. Before Ice Cream Sandwich, I always hesitated.

Keep us updated.

Quick update:

After bringing home the Z1 I spent hours trying to migrate her photos and music over. It was not fun at all and I had a terrible time of it, especially the photos. I've never really used Android before so everything was a big learning curve ... My experience is 2 years IOS, followed by 18 months WP8. The phone came with 4.2 installed.

Anyways my wife this morning started fiddling with the phone and got more and more frustrated. The learning curve which was slanted somewhat up for me, became a mountain for her ... Especially since I couldn't just "show" her as I was learning too. Her photos were a,mess installed under wrong dates, she kept forgetting where the "main area" to get to all apps, we kept brushing dangerously close to the internal memory cap (16 gigs) ... The last straw was when I mentioned that updates to her OS would be haphazard thanks to our carrier and she would also need to install antivirus. She was also pissed with the camera.

She took it back today and got an iPhone 5S 32gig.

in her words Android was:

Annoying
Made me mad
Frustrating, made my life harder
Not fun like iPhone ... Iphone "fun" to learn. Android frustrating.
I needed a bigger screen. Not a bigger pain in the ass.

In retrospect, while I was also frustrated, I could "see" how once I knew what I was doing the customizability would be awesome. For my wife though she would never take the time necessary to learn the OS, not when IOS (hell even WP8) provides a "just works" experience from the get go ... Especially when migrating data from one OS to another.

I thought our experience was interesting though coming from 2 users who have never touched Android in the past. I understand now why IOS keeps a part of its user base ... There are alot of people like my wife that want everything to just be plug and play and don't have the patience learning Android requires.

For my part as a WP8 user, I realized how much more simplified/streamlined WP8 is compared to IOS and Android. WP8 "just works" much like iPhone, however, the app ecosystem blows.

Android reminds me more of my PC.

Futureman

devils advocate on a few points...

-taking photos from one ecosystem to another (WP --> Android, Android --> iOS, etc) is annoying I would assume coming from any angle. Not really a knock against Android
-same thing with music, though you said she uses and loves Music Unlimited so that should just work
-not understanding the "main area" and where to get her apps is pretty insane, gotta admit
-Not sure about the camera, I just looked up some reviews and they all seem to say it's one of the best...

but iPhone 5S is amazing and I guess whatever she is comfortable with, some people don't want to mess with shit and just want to not think about it.

Liberty4all

Banned
devils advocate on a few points...

-taking photos from one ecosystem to another (WP --> Android, Android --> iOS, etc) is annoying I would assume coming from any angle. Not really a knock against Android
-same thing with music, though you said she uses and loves Music Unlimited so that should just work
-not understanding the "main area" and where to get her apps is pretty insane, gotta admit
-Not sure about the camera, I just looked up some reviews and they all seem to say it's one of the best...

but iPhone 5S is amazing and I guess whatever she is comfortable with, some people don't want to mess with shit and just want to not think about it.

She did figure out where the main area is eventually ... My point is that every single thing "important" she needed to do wasn't self evident the way it would be in IOS and WP8. Not that it would be all that hard to learn (I could see with use and customization it would all eventually be second nature), but its not easy/obvious to learn initially.

Couple that with data migration issues/headaches and you can see how an IOS user would give up before giving the phone a chance. Coupled with our carrier return policy: 30 minute talk time or 15 days, she felt under the gun to make a decision on keeping the phone or going back to IOS.

gcubed

and you don't need to install an antivirus app, please.

Sounds like you're both somewhat technologically ... challenged. Not a bad thing, but an iphone is much better for that,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom