• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys, question: I want to put my class schedule on my calendar. Problem is, I don't know how to get it to end at the end of the semester. It kind of continues on forever... way I have it is so that it puts the classes as weekly. Just dunno how to get it to stop...

Groof

Oh, I'm trying not alienate lurkers.

I got love for all.
you're way too kind

Hey, guys, question: I want to put my class schedule on my calendar. Problem is, I don't know how to get it to end at the end of the semester. It kind of continues on forever... way I have it is so that it puts the classes as weekly. Just dunno how to get it to stop...

Go to https://www.google.com/calendar and edit the event there. You can put a start and end date. Alternatively just go to the date after the date where it ends, delete that event and choose "and all events from this date forward" and it will delete all future occurrences of that event.

jey_16

Banned
So my One is dead :( the good news is that's it's new phone time and through my work, I'm able to get one for free. I have narrowed it down to the Nexus 5 and Note 3, the one big advantage of the Nexus 5 is the price which is kind of invalidated here and also I can only get the 16gb model through the retailer (which doesn't leave much space for pictures/videos after transferring my music over) Obvious pro is stock Android which I really like but the battery life is a bit of a concern. With the Note 3, the screen looks gorgeous and the battery life is impressive as well as having expandable memory but I have concerns about Touchwiz (was not a huge fan of it on my S2) and the ergonomics of using such a large device.

So, what's Android-GAF's thoughts? I don't think I can wait for the S5 or the new htc flagship since they will only come out end of April/early May

So my One is dead :( the good news is that's it's new phone time and through my work, I'm able to get one for free. I have narrowed it down to the Nexus 5 and Note 3, the one big advantage of the Nexus 5 is the price which is kind of invalidated here and also I can only get the 16gb model through the retailer (which doesn't leave much space for pictures/videos after transferring my music over) Obvious pro is stock Android which I really like but the battery life is a bit of a concern. With the Note 3, the screen looks gorgeous and the battery life is impressive as well as having expandable memory but I have concerns about Touchwiz (was not a huge fan of it on my S2) and the ergonomics of using such a large device.

So, what's Android-GAF's thoughts? I don't think I can wait for the S5 or the new htc flagship since they will only come out end of April/early May

If price isn't an issue, get the Note. It blows away the Nexus in almost all areas as long as you're okay with how big it is.

jyoung188

Hello android GAF. I got a nexus 7 tablet for Xmas and it is my first android device. I'm really loving the form factor and screen so far but coming from iOS I find the customization overwhelming and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing haha. Are there any basic tips, apps, widgets, or advice you guys would give to an iOS users first android device?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hello android GAF. I got a nexus 7 tablet for Xmas and it is my first android device. I'm really loving the form factor and screen so far but coming from iOS I find the customization overwhelming and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing haha. Are there any basic tips, apps, widgets, or advice you guys would give to an iOS users first android device?

What exactly are you going to use it for? Then we can suggest apps based on that. Games, office stuff, music, videos, travel, comics?

bob page

Download Nova Launcher and the minimal UI icon pack. That's pretty much all the customization I needed for my Nexus.

As far as widgets go, I only really use Dashclock.

kehs

Banned
Can one of you smart dudes direct me towards how to pull the data off my phone without the touchscreen? It's bootloader unlocked and usb debugging is on.

Thanks in advance.

jyoung188

What exactly are you going to use it for? Then we can suggest apps based on that. Games, office stuff, music, videos, travel, comics?

Honestly it'll mostly be my GAF browsing device while I'm at home. I might listen to music although I'm heavily invested in itunes. I've got the youtube app for most of my video viewing and I might do a little gaming although I've fallen out of love with touchscreen gaming over the years. It probably wont ever leave my house.

I'm using the default chrome browser and is there any quick way to get to the top of the page I'm browsing? On iOS I could tap the very top of the screen and it would jump to the top of the page, I use it all the time.

Download Nova Launcher and the minimal UI icon pack. That's pretty much all the customization I needed for my Nexus.

As far as widgets go, I only really use Dashclock.

I'll check that out thanks.

What is the best weather widget?

gutshot

Honestly it'll mostly be my GAF browsing device while I'm at home. I might listen to music although I'm heavily invested in itunes. I've got the youtube app for most of my video viewing and I might do a little gaming although I've fallen out of love with touchscreen gaming over the years. It probably wont ever leave my house.

I'm using the default chrome browser and is there any quick way to get to the top of the page I'm browsing? On iOS I could tap the very top of the screen and it would jump to the top of the page, I use it all the time.

I'll check that out thanks.

What is the best weather widget?

Just swipe down a couple times. Android scrolling is like a million times faster than iOS scrolling. I hate iOS scrolling.

Eye in the Sky is a pretty popular weather widget. And they have a Dashclock extension.

jokkir

Can one of you smart dudes direct me towards how to pull the data off my phone without the touchscreen? It's bootloader unlocked and usb debugging is on.

Thanks in advance.

For apps, the OS and data, this adb command should work:
Code:
adb backup -apk -shared -all

And to restore it:
Code:
adb restore backup.ab

Of course the files have to be in the same folder as the .ab file.

Now for extracting stuff in the SD card, it should be this command (for a Nexus 4 at least. I haven't tested it though):
Code:
adb pull /storage/emulated/0

I think it would be different for different devices so get a File Explorer that shows the full file path and edit that command above to extract the data.

I used THIS app to get the path.

You also need the platform-tools folder from the SDK and be in the same directory as that platform-tools to use the commands (the folder with the adb, fastboot files)

Pachimari

Don't know where to ask this, but is the Sony Xperia L a good low/mid-range smartphone or should I go with something like the Xperia E, LG Optimus L5 II or Nokia Lumia 520?

jyoung188

Just swipe down a couple times. Android scrolling is like a million times faster than iOS scrolling. I hate iOS scrolling.

Eye in the Sky is a pretty popular weather widget. And they have a Dashclock extension.

Yeah that's what ive been doing. I've noticed the scrolling is way faster, its a little jittery every once in a while but the speed makes up for it.

Thanks I'll check out eye in the sky.

Something is taking up a bunch of space on the internal storage of my VZW Note II, and I can't figure out what it is.

TxnQMIh.png
[/URL]
Is my best approach to just wipe my internal storage and start fresh? Is that an easy thing to do inside of Recovery Mode?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ms wouldn't spend money on negative advertisements for no reason

Not that I disagree in this instance, but this is the same company that made the Kin. Clearly they have no fricking clue what to do with their money.

Husker86

For apps, the OS and data, this adb command should work:
Code:
adb backup -apk -shared -all

And to restore it:
Code:
adb restore backup.ab

Of course the files have to be in the same folder as the .ab file.

Now for extracting stuff in the SD card, it should be this command (for a Nexus 4 at least. I haven't tested it though):
Code:
adb pull /storage/emulated/0

I think it would be different for different devices so get a File Explorer that shows the full file path and edit that command above to extract the data.

I used THIS app to get the path.

You also need the platform-tools folder from the SDK and be in the same directory as that platform-tools to use the commands (the folder with the adb, fastboot files)

Don't you have to confirm the built-in backup by pressing OK on the phone's screen?

Quasar

Not that I disagree in this instance, but this is the same company that made the Kin. Clearly they have no fricking clue what to do with their money.

I dunno. I thought the Kin was non terrible for a kids phone at the time. It just needed to be paired with phone plans that were much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom