• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberty4all

Banned
and you don't need to install an antivirus app, please.

Sounds like you're both somewhat technologically ... challenged. Not a bad thing, but an iphone is much better for that,

lol well I'm the better of the 2 of us.

Like I said, playing around with Android reminded me of my gaming PC (i52500k 560ti) ... In the sense of being able to poke around and do whatever you want to it. I guess my spouse has no interest in that though ....

reKon

Banned
Quick update:

After bringing home the Z1 I spent hours trying to migrate her photos and music over. It was not fun at all and I had a terrible time of it, especially the photos. I've never really used Android before so everything was a big learning curve ... My experience is 2 years IOS, followed by 18 months WP8. The phone came with 4.2 installed.

Anyways my wife this morning started fiddling with the phone and got more and more frustrated. The learning curve which was slanted somewhat up for me, became a mountain for her ... Especially since I couldn't just "show" her as I was learning too. Her photos were a,mess installed under wrong dates, she kept forgetting where the "main area" to get to all apps, we kept brushing dangerously close to the internal memory cap (16 gigs) ... The last straw was when I mentioned that updates to her OS would be haphazard thanks to our carrier and she would also need to install antivirus. She was also pissed with the camera.

She took it back today and got an iPhone 5S 32gig.

in her words Android was:

Annoying
Made me mad
Frustrating, made my life harder
Not fun like iPhone ... Iphone "fun" to learn. Android frustrating.
I needed a bigger screen. Not a bigger pain in the ass.

In retrospect, while I was also frustrated, I could "see" how once I knew what I was doing the customizability would be awesome. For my wife though she would never take the time necessary to learn the OS, not when IOS (hell even WP8) provides a "just works" experience from the get go ... Especially when migrating data from one OS to another.

I thought our experience was interesting though coming from 2 users who have never touched Android in the past. I understand now why IOS keeps a part of its user base ... There are alot of people like my wife that want everything to just be plug and play and don't have the patience learning Android requires.

For my part as a WP8 user, I realized how much more simplified/streamlined WP8 is compared to IOS and Android. WP8 "just works" much like iPhone, however, the app ecosystem blows.

Android reminds me more of my PC.

Wtf, I don't even... @ this entire post.

Android is not hard to use damn it. My mom got an HTC Incredible as her first smart phone and she was able to figure it out and found it easy to use. This was when she was using Gingerbread...

Then again I haven't messed around with migrating photos, but honesty, I'd dump all that shit in dropbox... Nice and easy.

Different =/= hard to use/learn. That's the main thing I notice from people who have used iOS all their life and try Android for a day.

Cipherr

Wtf, I don't even... @ this entire post.

Android is not hard to use damn it. My mom got an HTC Incredible as her first smart phone and she was able to figure it out and found it easy to use. This was when she was using Gingerbread...

Then again I haven't messed around with migrating photos, but honesty, I'd dump all that shit in dropbox... Nice and easy.

Different =/= hard to use/learn. That's the main thing I notice from people who have used iOS all their life and try Android for a day.

Well to be fair, he is talking strictly migrating FROM iOS. Which is indeed more difficult than it should be. iTunes fucks up your music, photos and the rest are a pain in the ass. Its absolutely ridiculous, but thats what you get with shit for an accessible file system in iOS. Everything is wacky as fuck when you are trying to unchain yourself from their services.

Every damn week someone is asking me how to disable their damned iMessage after switching phones. Its a real pain in the ass to get out. I get the feeling Apple enjoys it that way too. See the above post for the results. Creates the illusion that 'nothing else works' except the iOS ecosystem, when the truth is, the problem is really with the iOS ecosystem and how unfriendly it is to people trying to 'jump out'. Most will encounter that and be back at the nearest store doing an exchange within hours.

The man wanted to migrate his wifes photos and music over. That should have been a process that went like this:

• Plug in phone to USB,
  • copy photos and music on original phone
  • Paste onto destination phone.
  • Done.

But nooooooooooo. No access to the file system on iPhones. So you end up with everyone trying to use clunky software to try and do what we have been doing for decades on PC with a simple drag and drop. SMH

Liberty4all

Banned

To be fair I used IOS for over 2 years myself, iphone4 was my first smartphone. Switching to WP8 was a breeze (possibly because my main email accounts are hotmail and outlook?). There was (and still are) some annoyances in day to day use but overall it was simple and painless to switch, including data migration. Learning how to use the OS was easy as well.

I didn't really feel that same ease trying to go IOS to Android.

Again, as I said earlier I think Android is an OS that takes time to really learn and take advantage of. With time I bet that the customizability of the OS is its trump card ... Especially if you are invested in Google's ecosystem of services.

Liberty4all

Banned
Well to be fair, he is talking strictly migrating FROM iOS. Which is indeed more difficult than it should be. iTunes fucks up your music, photos and the rest are a pain in the ass. Its absolutely ridiculous, but thats what you get with shit for an accessible file system in iOS. Everything is wacky as fuck when you are trying to unchain yourself from their services.

Every damn week someone is asking me how to disable their damned iMessage after switching phones. Its a real pain in the ass to get out. I get the feeling Apple enjoys it that way too. See the above post for the results. Creates the illusion that 'nothing else works' except the iOS ecosystem, when the truth is, the problem is really with the iOS ecosystem and how unfriendly it is to people trying to 'jump out'. Most will encounter that and be back at the nearest store doing an exchange within hours.

The man wanted to migrate his wifes photos and music over. That should have been a process that went like this:

• Plug in phone to USB,
  • copy photos and music on original phone
  • Paste onto destination phone.
  • Done.

But nooooooooooo. No access to the file system on iPhones. So you end up with everyone trying to use clunky software to try and do what we have been doing for decades on PC with a simple drag and drop. SMH

I totally fucked up her alblums. I plugged both phones into my PC then dragged her photos from the iPhone to the internal memory of the Z1. Must have put it in a wrong folder cause it screwed up the dates, not all pics moved, and it showed her photos under miscellaneous rather than pictures in the memory on the phone. It was super frustrating.

the iMessage thing I would have never known about had I not read about the issue randomly awhile back.

Liberty4all

Banned
Edit: Oh okay I see.

I screwed up. For some reason I thought the z1 had 32 gig internal memory. We had already switched to a corporate plan by the time I realized id screwed up, however I figured with the 64 gigs external memory via SD card wed be ok. Didn't even get that far though as my wife hated the initial user experience. I told her to give it a chance but the return policy was 30 min talk time max or 15 days ... Not really alot of time, especially when trying to migrate data and get a feel for the phone.

edit: the takeaway from all of this you hit on the head ... Migration is a bitch even for somebody that sort of knows what they are doing.

Ecosystem lock is a tough bitch. And yeah, I'm pretty sure that's intentional, because no one's going to make it easy for you to leave them. Kind of like a messy divorce.

Bamelin, how good is your lawyer? I'd consider a divorce. My daughter is 13 months today. If she starts using iOS, it would be very difficult for us. She's be on iMessage because you know iPhone people don't use Hangouts. She'd never visit Google+. Ugh. Nightmare.

For me it's being lightweight and visually pleasing. I don't have too many needs from a Twitter app, but being aesthetically pleasing is high on my list. The official app's interface just makes no sense anymore. On what planet does anyone use the useless as fuck discover and activity tabs more than something like mentions or messages?

Edit: I was fine with the official app before the recent redesign.

jokkir

Yeah, the recent redesign, I like first but it's just kind of dumb where they put a lot of stuff like the Discover tab instead of Mentions. I'll might try Tweedle again since the only reason I stuck with the old Twitter app was its better design (imo)

Liberty4all

Banned
Bamelin, how good is your lawyer? I'd consider a divorce. My daughter is 13 months today. If she starts using iOS, it would be very difficult for us. She's be on iMessage because you know iPhone people don't use Hangouts. She'd never visit Google+. Ugh. Nightmare.

Um what's Hangouts (being serious ... I've heard about it, some type of chat program for google but never really bothered to google what it actually is)? I never signed up for Google+ either :p

Actually Googles constant harassment on YouTube for my real name guaranteed that lol

I do like chrome though ... Wish I could get it on my lumia 920.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Um what's Hangouts (being serious ... I've heard about it, some type of chat program for google but never really bothered to google what it actually is)? I never signed up for Google+ either :p

Actually Googles constant harassment on YouTube for my real name guaranteed that lol

Hangouts is their Google Talk replacement.

You can message individuals or you can add in multiple people. It also supports video chat with multiple people.

We have a GAF Android Hangout.

I migrated from iOS to Android pretty easily. My photos were on iTunes and all I did was drag and drop. When I bought this phone the folks at the store migrated all of my contacts over as well. it was pretty painless, but doing it yourself would be a pain in the ass if you didn't use Dropbox or drive or whatever third party app for your pics.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bamelin, I see a major problem being that she's used to iOS and expects Android to work like iOS. That's not going to be the right approach. People need to approach Android as Android. Both are intuitive enough these days. But intuitive doesn't mean acts like the other. If you expect one to work like the other, you're going to have a bad time. Anyway, I knew the 5S was the right way to go. Faceless and I called it on the 5S.

Tweedle is definitely my favorite Twitter app these days. Nice looking. It needs Tweetmarker support, though.

Check out this nice looking new To Do app Recollect:

ASxS9FQ.png
Afx8fIS.png
5DQRF1O.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope Google gives Android 5.0 finally a complete visual overhaul. That notification drawer is still incredibly ugly and hard to look at.

I'm hoping for a real use of on screen buttons. That thing could be a notification center. Imagine the multitasking button having a red badge. Would be cool.

I'm hoping for a real use of on screen buttons. That thing could be a notification center. Imagine the multitasking button having a red badge. Would be cool.

You mean giving the screen buttons a real purpose and advantage over physical buttons, instead of just saving the OEMs few cents? That's insane.

AndyD

aka andydumi
You mean giving the screen buttons a real purpose and advantage over physical buttons, instead of just saving the OEMs few cents? That's insane.

Ever since they announced on screen buttons I imagined them changing per app, with dynamic uses and looks to increase functionality.

What we have is a black bar with the same 3-4 buttons that were hardware before, but take up screen space now.

kehs

Banned
How am I apart of DroidGAF G+ and not this?

pm me your email addy, i'll invite you.

that goes for anyone that wants in.

------

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...an-android-based-in-car-entertainment-system/

Google And Audi Will Reportedly Announce A Collaboration At CES To Build An Android-Based In-Car Entertainment System

I think android police is totally off base with this. Audi has been doing alot of self driving tech, and I wouldn't be surprised if this announcement has to to do with google's self driving tech, the tesla stuff is a few years off. Audi seems like a great partner.

Ever since they announced on screen buttons I imagined them changing per app, with dynamic uses and looks to increase functionality.

What we have is a black bar with the same 3-4 buttons that were hardware before, but take up screen space now.

But they hide during video playback, giving you the same space you'd have with physical buttons. Totally worth it.

Loxley

Is there a way to stop Android from obnoxiously zooming in when you set a wallpaper? My Galaxy Note 10.1 has a resolution of 2560x1600, and even when I chose a wallpaper that is that exact size, it always zooms in when I set it as the background.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is there a way to stop Android from obnoxiously zooming in when you set a wallpaper? My Galaxy Note 10.1 has a resolution of 2560x1600, and even when I chose a wallpaper that is that exact size, it always zooms in when I set it as the background.

You can drag and resize the box when you select a wallpaper. So you can either crop just a portion or use the whole thing.

marrec

Banned
Aw yes, welcome to the master race.

Fucking love my Note 3. Speedy, beautiful 1080p display and the size and s-pen are spot-on.

I always thought the s-pen was kind of a silly gimmick, but two days ago I got an important call while napping and was able to quickly jot down all the pertinent information without ever actually having to wake up.

Thank you Note 3 + S-Pen, you saved my nap.

I think sticking with iOS / WP might be the better option. One of the biggest advantages of Android is the tight integration with Google's premiere services.

thenexus6

Is the Note 2 still a good phone to pickup at this point? I have a Nexus 4 but want three things:

Better battery
Bigger screen
More storage

Note 2 will give me all of those things, not sure if i'll enjoy touchwiz much after being stock android on the N4.. S-pen seems like a nice distracting, plus the ability to buy this makes it awesome. If i'm out or on the road soon as battery dies just chuck this in and i'm 100% again.

Just not sure on the internal spec / tech and how much longer a phone this "old" will continue to be supported..I have heard from some sources online that the note 2 and nexus 4 are similar spec wise which won't bother me I am pretty happy with the speed on my N4.

The note 3 isn't really an option, as I don't "need" a new phone, plus its still pretty expensive I have seen note 2s on eBay for around £200-230.

Thoughts?

reKon

Banned
Is the Note 2 still a good phone to pickup at this point? I have a Nexus 4 but want three things:

Better battery
Bigger screen
More storage

Note 2 will give me all of those things, not sure if i'll enjoy touchwiz much after being stock android on the N4.. S-pen seems like a nice distracting, plus the ability to buy this makes it awesome. If i'm out or on the road soon as battery dies just chuck this in and i'm 100% again.

Just not sure on the internal spec / tech and how much longer a phone this "old" will continue to be supported..I have heard from some sources online that the note 2 and nexus 4 are similar spec wise which won't bother me I am pretty happy with the speed on my N4.

The note 3 isn't really an option, as I don't "need" a new phone, plus its still pretty expensive I have seen note 2s on eBay for around £200-230.

Thoughts?

LG G2?

EDIT: Oh, would be too expensive.

I'd just say wait.

Kiraly

I kind of want to buy an iPhone 5C to try out iOS and its apps/games, even though an equally priced Android phone is far (technologically) superior in contrast. Have always owned Android before.

Someone talk me out of it.

I kind of want to buy an iPhone 5C to try out iOS and its apps/games, even though an equally priced Android phone is far (technologically) superior in contrast. Have always owned Android before.

iOS 7 looks like it was designed by Fisher Price.

There.

Bboy AJ

Grab an iPod Touch.

snacknuts

we all knew her

After a couple years of frustration with Android (back in the GB days), I picked up a 4S at launch. Eight months of agony and I jumped back to Android. iOS: not even once.

SuperSah

Banned
When I migrated from iOS a month ago, after using iOS devices for 3 years, moving to Android was as painless as can be.

I learned it in a few days and Touchwiz is pretty nice too.

A 5C won't make your friends who don't have iPhones feel bad, which is half the fun of having an Apple product anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom