• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I looked in iOS was that the phone unlocked automatically when I put the pin in and your didn't have to press "enter" when I was using a friend's phone.

vdlow

I played with an iPhone/iPad today to test a website I'm working on, and I really can't understand who had the amazing idea of showing the letters on the keyboard always capitalized, doesn't matter if the "shift" key is pressed or not.

Damn, at least to me this is basic UX done terribly wrong.

Also, Apple did a kind of simplified Google Now wannabe in the notification tray that made me speechless, in a bad way.

I have to say that I really missed my Galaxy S4 during these moments with iOS. Actually, even my old warrior Galaxy S was missed at that moment. lol

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Two weeks in with my Moto X: really like this phone. Coming from a Galaxy S2, my new phone is an upgrade in every comparable categories.

The GPS locks in almost instantly, wow! Getting more than four hours of screen time including some gaming sessions compared to two hours of screen time with the S2 by simply browsing the Web and listening music. This phone is fast! I really hesitated to buy the phone because I felt that the specs were obsolete for a flagship device. Nevermind that, it chomps through everything, apps and games without any slowdown. Love the deep blacks of the AMOLED screen. The speakers are loud and clear. Quite comfortable to hold in one hand. The camera is this phone's only weakness, especially when taking pics in low-light.

Overall, it's an awesome phone and I'm more than satisfied with it.

Liberty4all

Banned
Xperia Transfer tool won't help her find the apps button. only trying will...

I did try to use the Sony transfer tool ... Worked for her music but not her photos. She has like 3 gigs of photos and when I tried to transfer them manually it fucked up the metadata dating everything all wrong ... Thousands of photos, she was pissed. Contacts was ok, I found an app in the iTunes store to email them to her.

Overall it wasn't just data migration (although that played a big part), I guess it was the overall unfamiliarity with the OS. While I started to "get it" myself, it certainly didn't feel obvious how to do things the way IOS and WP feels the first time you try out those OS's ... And I say that from the perspective of somebody who as never used Android but can see how the customizability would be awesome once the getting familiar with the OS period is done.

The biggest difference I felt was this: with IOS and WP, Apple and Microsoft make the user experience "tight" by forcing you to do things specific ways. With Android the user makes their experience tight by customizing as they go. Apple and Microsoft have chosen controlled OS's to ensure a fluid experience from the get go, Google has chosen a much more open OS that eventually might provide a more optimal experience, however they won't hold your hand to get you there.

thenexus6

So was wondering am noob when comes to roms etc.

If you put a rom or say cyanogenmod on a samsung note device is there anyway to keep some of the samsung apps such as s-note etc?

Husker86

If you put a rom or say cyanogenmod on a samsung note device is there anyway to keep some of the samsung apps such as s-note etc?

The answer is pretty much no. I think sometimes an app or two gets randomly ported but they never work like they do on a stock ROM so just assume that you will never get OEM custom apps on a AOSP based ROM.

a few apps will work, but many of the 3rd party OEM apps won't work because they rely on framework support files that aren't in stock Android.

Cousteau

went to BB to buy a Note 3 and because I'm on an old Sero plan, I can't get the phone unless I either dump Sero and get a new plan or pay full price for the phone.

Guess I'll have to go to a Sprint store to purchase.

went to BB to buy a Note 3 and because I'm on an old Sero plan, I can't get the phone unless I either dump Sero and get a new plan or pay full price for the phone.

Guess I'll have to go to a Sprint store to purchase.

yeah, SERO plans have always had to buy at a Sprint store to get the on contract price. some people have gotten by on occasion, but it's not supposed to happen.

Where's the hell is the new Nexus 10/11 Google???

Maybe Goolge saw LG's Gpad 8.3 and felt no reason to rush with the Nexus 10 revision. Seriously I don't know, maybe they're waiting for the next big thing in mobile device chipsets, which is either Qualcomm or Nvidia's Tegra 4..... or maybe even Intel's Baytrail, that would be sweet. Intel in an Android tablet.

Since Carbon is at v2, I've finally decided to give it a go (been using Falcon Pro for a while now). Carbon is one slick app. Really nice, if sometimes overdone animations, really smooth performance, attractive design. I'm actually liking it better than Falcon. Don't know why I didn't use it sooner.

Also, Happy New Year, everyone. Hope you have a good one.

Maybe Goolge saw LG's Gpad 8.3 and felt no reason to rush with the Nexus 10 revision. Seriously I don't know, maybe they're waiting for the next big thing in mobile device chipsets, which is either Qualcomm or Nvidia's Tegra 4..... or maybe even Intel's Baytrail, that would be sweet. Intel in an Android tablet.
Samsung uses Intel in their Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 tablet.

Google+ photo backup is good stuff. It auto-collaged a bunch of NYE pictures I took last night that were around the same timestamp... pretty cool. Glad I switched over from the pretty crappy Dropbox picture backup.

Marco1

Received my Nexus 5 32GB yesterday and I'm in love with a phone again.
How this phone exists at that price is beyond me.
It never stutters and hasn't let me down once. I agree the camera needs work but I'm loving the software home button and don't miss my iPhone 5S home/fingerprint sensor at all.
I just wish Google would try a get the devs such as Simogo etc. on to android. It's the only area were I think it fails.
I'll see how iphone6 turns out before I decide where I will settle but I just don't see what all the fuss is about when I read comments about android being buggy are. ios7 crashed more that kitkat ever did for me.

jwk94

So Android enthusiasts, my Verizon contract is up for renewal this Summer. What Android devices should I keep my eye on?

Apple 2013 Year-in Review : the year’s top stories, devices, and more!

It’s been a very interesting year in iOS land. We saw a lot of bold moves and stances taken by the world’s OEMs, a lot of new players broke ground, and Google made the moves necessary to keep iOS as interesting and fresh as we could ask for. Now that the year has come to a close, we thought it’d be interesting to take a look back on all of that. It’s the big iOS year-in review!

I think you missed the part where he said Verizon.

I think you must not realize that Verizon gets all the flagship devices now.

Except Sony, for all the improvements the company has shown ever since Kaz took over and started turning the ship around, they still don't seem to have any idea how to enter the NA market.

DXPett1

Auto Backup is great, and Auto Awesome movies are amazing. Can't get enough of them.

I hated autobackup for quite some time. I caved in when I got my Nexus5 and haven't turned back. Autoawesome and everything Google is building around it is phenomenal

I think you must not realize that Verizon gets all the flagship devices now.

Except Sony, for all the improvements the company has shown ever since Kaz took over and started turning the ship around, they still don't seem to have any idea how to enter the NA market.

they know how to enter the NA market. they just refuse to mar their phones with Verizon buttons and Verizon 4G LTE wall posters on the back

Card Boy

Banned
Which Android box is better GAF?

Which Android Box is better?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Minix-NE...59?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item25878ec0b7

Oxr2I.png

$40

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-8GB-...U_MultiFormatMediaPlayers&hash=item3a8951e5c6

KfFgm.png

$100

I actually own the second one and have being happy with it but the MiniX seems the same but cheaper. I need couple for my family. Use: Videos and maybe some emulators, no Android games.

edit: fixed pics

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'd just go with the cheaper one for video use.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
But which one is factually better regardless of price?

It looks like the same, except the cheaper one is 8GB while the other is 16GB storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom