• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cause GAF knows best.

GAF (and this thread) is a prime example of how we rarely know best, because we rarely agree!

SD card vs internal only

Plastics vs Metal/Glass

On screen buttons vs capacitive

Stock vs Touchwiz

So much of this stuff is subjective, even something like camera quality. I'm not sure if there's anyone in this thread with enough proper testing of both phones camera to compare, but I could be wrong. I'd suggest visiting Anandtech who normally have very, very detailed reviews. Both the HTC One and X have had camera improving software updates.

If you want me to suggest a phone overall, go with the X. I don't think there's going to be too much in it camera wise, but the customization, pretty much guaranteed swift updates, battery life, near stock android with useful tweaks and price would swing it for me. Moto maker if you can. I think the build of the One is nice, but sense is nowhere near as user friendly as stock.

That's a very subjective opinion though, others may disagree.

Oh yeah and get one with a wooden back. That shit is drool worthy.

Zeppu

I know, I know.

I recommended the Moto X to a friend. Another guy recommended him the HTC One. Now it's all down to which 'camera is best'.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
ok fellow andorid gaffers.. need some advice.
My workphone (Iphone4) is finally dying (hurraah) and now I have to get a new phone.
I want to test an android phone.. so I have been checking around and these 3 seems to be my "favorites".

Sony Xperia Z1
LG G2
Nexus 5

Im mostly inclined towards the Sony phone but LG G2 seems to have its advantages as well.

Any suggestions or even comments from people with one of these?

Thx in advance!

Tommy DJ

Sony Xperia Z1 is alright though the screen is very hit and miss and its a very large phone. If you can actually wait a month or two, a Z1 refresh should be released with better screen space management (apparently 5.2" screen in same space), a better screen, and some neat features that a large phone like that really needs like tap to wake.

LG G2 is similar to the Nexus 5 but it has insane battery life because of the display. Only problem would be the LG skin or the rear buttons. I guess a custom ROM solves the first problem.

No idea about Nexus 5 battery life but I'm definitely guessing its worse than the Z1 or G2. The only good things about the Nexus 5 would be the price or OS update speed. It also doesn't have an SD card like the others but I guess if you're fine with your iPhone 4, internal memory might be all you need.

GAF (and this thread) is a prime example of how we rarely know best, because we rarely agree!

SD card vs internal only whatever

Plastics vs Metal/Glass Fuck plastic bullshit and fake materials for a premium price

On screen buttons vs capacitive on-screen buttons add nothing, waste screen space and are bullshit, too

Stock vs Touchwiz that's not even a debate. fuck touchwiz

There, I solved that problem for you.

Groof

Because being able to use less than the advertised resolution on your phone it such a great thing! But hey, I know, it's totally worth it, when they disappear during video playback. So magical.
Lemme hear you say that once that amazing hardware home button breaks

bearbomb

Neo Member
So I asked in the nexus thread too, but I figured I should ask here too.

Have a gn2 that has 2 years left on contract, now my carrier only offers 2 years and I could get a nexus 5 and have the same amount of contract left.

Should I shoot? Or should I just wait it out for whatever is next s5 gn4 nexus6 ect ect

I think the future belongs to on screen buttons. Top and bottom bezels will continue to shrink. Top will be mitigated by the need for a speaker and front facing camera. The bottom of the phone only needs enough bezel to comfortably hold it in landscape mode. With on screen buttons you can get very near to the point of having the entire front of the phone be a screen and immersive mode can hide the buttons when they aren't required such as in media consumption and gaming. From a user friendly point of view, having buttons rotate to match your orientation is markedly superior. With buttons in the OS you can even change up the UI when necessary to indicate an action, for example the back button becoming a "hide keyboard button" again assisting with user friendliness. You can also have Roms allowing you to customize which buttons you have and in what order.

Physical buttons still have their place, but IMO won't be a common feature on mid-high tier phones after 2015.

It's the lack of flexibility in capacitive keys that will render them obsolete and the physical space argument will be severely diminished when phones can monopolize the bottom bezel for more screen space.

tino

Banned
Sony Xperia Z1 is alright though the screen is very hit and miss and its a very large phone. If you can actually wait a month or two, a Z1 refresh should be released with better screen space management (apparently 5.2" screen in same space), a better screen, and some neat features that a large phone like that really needs like tap to wake.

LG G2 is similar to the Nexus 5 but it has insane battery life because of the display. Only problem would be the LG skin or the rear buttons. I guess a custom ROM solves the first problem.

No idea about Nexus 5 battery life but I'm definitely guessing its worse than the Z1 or G2. The only good things about the Nexus 5 would be the price or OS update speed. It also doesn't have an SD card like the others but I guess if you're fine with your iPhone 4, internal memory might be all you need.

I'd take the G2. Its easier to hold than the boxy z1. N5 is subpar on everything except OS. Take the G2

Because being able to use less than the advertised resolution on your phone it such a great thing! But hey, I know, it's totally worth it, when they disappear during video playback. So magical.

But what about them being able to give a bigger display effectively giving you the same screen size when using it normally and bigger during said media consumption. With a smaller profile.

I'm fine with either tbh.

Groof

By the time that happens, your old phone is shit anyway. My Galaxy Nexus has on-screen buttons and it's such a slow and useless piece of junk, it might as well have a broken hardware home button.

Pretty much any phone from that era is slow and useless these days.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Because developers care about UI guidelines, especially on Android. :lol

e5YuU.gif

kehs

Banned
By the time that happens, your old phone is shit anyway. My Galaxy Nexus has on-screen buttons and it's such a slow and useless piece of junk, it might as well have a broken hardware home button.

Because developers care about UI guidelines, especially on Android. :lol

That's not a guideline its an API.

That's not a guideline its an API.

Can't wait to see apps using it on my GN.

Pretty much any phone from that era is slow and useless these days.

That's not what I said and that wasn't my argument. By the time a physical button breaks or becomes unusable, the phone is shit anyway. I've also yet to see a broken capacitive button.

But what about them being able to give a bigger display effectively giving you the same screen size when using it normally and bigger during said media consumption. With a smaller profile.

I'm fine with either tbh.

None of the phones with on-screen buttons have a smaller bezels than the comparable Samsung Galaxy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish the on screen button area incorporated gestures and notifications. I miss webOS.

Can't wait to see apps using it on my GN.

That's not what I said and that wasn't my argument. By the time a physical button breaks or becomes unusable, the phone is shit anyway. I've also yet to see a broken capacitive button.

None of the phones with on-screen buttons have a smaller bezels than the comparable Samsung Galaxy.

I'm arguing both sides bro, that's just a potential benefit of them being on screen.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wish the on screen button area incorporated gestures and notifications. I miss webOS.

Yep. It seems like so much wasted potential. I imagined apps would be able to customize those bottom buttons to keep from adding buttons on screen... shows what I know.

tino

Banned
They can't do that. It would make them useful.

The way apple incorporate gesture in OS7 is pretty interesting. There are alot of slide from edge gesture IMO are very easy to use.

I jailbroke my wife's iPhone/iPad mini recently and install some custom UI apps.

One of them let me replace the part of the control center (bottom control panel) with the app switcher. So I can slide my finger from bottom edge, immediately select from most recent 4 apps in the lower left drawer. I find it extremely fast to use. The way Android do it, you either hold the home button (old way), or press the app button in some newer phones, I find either way is slower. The problem is the app switcher take over the whole screen and you have to do a lot of finger travel.

Also I like Apple's implementation of top/bottom control panels better. When you have a large Android tablet going all the way to the top to pull the notification screen is slow.

Android should have implement sliding gesture control the moment they went soft on-screen buttons back in 4.0, yet they have been sitting on their ass with the inferior soft buttons all this time. Now Apple has catch up in the UI race.

I don't care either way personally, I use deep custom gesture controls with both rooted Android devices (GMD Gesture Control) or jailbroken Apple devices (Activator). Just want to post my observation.

Tommy DJ

I'd take the G2. Its easier to hold than the boxy z1. N5 is subpar on everything except OS. Take the G2

I don't disagree with this, I was trying to make this point in a roundabout way. Z1 is merely decent and likely to be completely obsolete in two months by its successor and the Nexus 5 is only good if its a lot cheaper than the competition and you must have stock Android.

If you like the Z1, wait. If not, get the G2 unless you really hate rear buttons. There's tap to wake so you don't need to use them half the time.

I got my Galaxy S4 last night and I'm pretty pissed off at the moment. When I'm playing music in Spotify, it automatically lowers the volume if it's "too loud" (is there such a thing?).

Some people get the warning that it might hurt your ears, but I only get a prompt telling me it's bad and then it lowers the volume and locking it at a pretty low level. I've found one way of circumventing this, which is to install "Hearing Saver", but then I have to every other song or so disconnect the audio-cable and reconnect it for the volume to not be locked.

I've seen people having solutions where you root the device, but I'm not there yet and don't feel like breaking the warranty one day in.

Any tips?

AndyD

aka andydumi
There's no shame in keeping the Note 3. I see people still using Startac phones.

I had someone in a hearing today pull out an old school Nokia candybar phone. Ahh, the memories.

They can and probably will. Take LG for example. They added optional buttons for pulling down/up the notification tray and QNote or whatever the fuck it's called. Not much, but it's a start.

Yep, plus the shortcuts on the slide up from home button. I wish those were customizeable on the G2, is there an xposed module for it?

ok fellow andorid gaffers.. need some advice.
My workphone (Iphone4) is finally dying (hurraah) and now I have to get a new phone.
I want to test an android phone.. so I have been checking around and these 3 seems to be my "favorites".

Sony Xperia Z1
LG G2
Nexus 5

Im mostly inclined towards the Sony phone but LG G2 seems to have its advantages as well.

Any suggestions or even comments from people with one of these?

Thx in advance!

have you ever accidentally dropped a phone in water and killed it?

no?

LG G2.

my dude... the back button changes into a down arrow so you can figure out how to get rid of the software keyboard? MAGICAL!!!

kehs

Banned
So the google calendar only replaces the default one for nexus devices right?

Cause it's not doing it on a moto G or X. =/

tzare

Fuck hw buttons, my note 8 home button stopped working and had to be repaired. Since i had my first taste with xperia t onscreen buttons i can‘t go back to hw ones.

daoster

Hmm..

After Google Pressure, Samsung Will Dial Back Android Tweaks, Homegrown Apps

In early January, while the rest of the consumer technology world at CES marveled at the sheer size of Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy tablet, Google execs were dismayed by what they saw on the screen of the massive 12.1-inch slate — a fancy new user interface called Magazine UX.

As Re/code’s Bonnie Cha wrote at the time: ”The Magazine UX looks like a mix of Flipboard and Microsoft’s Metro user interface with its dynamic dashboard and app shortcuts.” In other words, the interface was a dramatic departure from Google’s vision for Android.

Multiple sources familiar with the companies’ thinking say the two technology giants began hammering out a series of broad agreements at CES that would bring Samsung’s view of Android in line with Google’s own. The results of the talks, which have only just begun dribbling out to the public, also underscore the extent to which Google is exerting more of its influence to control its destiny in the Android open source world.

http://recode.net/2014/01/29/after-...will-dial-back-android-tweaks-homegrown-apps/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Let Samsung do what they want. Who cares. If people don't want it, they can buy something else. Pretty ridiculous of Samsung to comply.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Finally Google has the cojones to tell Samsung to stop fucking up the OS. If they want to have their own line of Apps, Like S-voice and the pen app on the Note devices, fine. Just don't try to make Android look like a different OS.

What really gets to me is how they add their own apps while removing the originals. So it's not even an option, you have to use whatever they come up with. I did not mind some of the TouchWiz elements and apps on my S3, but others were awful. They can't do everything better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom