• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

satam55

Banned
Google to sell Motorola to Lenovo, say reports

By Jacob Kastrenakeson January 29, 2014 04:09 pm

Motorola_stock_logo_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Google is reportedly nearing a deal to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo, a move that would give the Chinese smartphone manufacturer a major presence in the US smartphone market. News of the potential acquisition comes from both Reuters and China Daily, with the latter reporting that the acquisition could be announced as soon as Thursday morning in Beijing — just a matter of hours from now. Reuters reports that the deal is worth close to $3 billion, a number corroborated by China Daily's report over a deal worth over $2 billion.

Developing...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/29/5358620/lenovo-reportedly-buying-motorola-mobility-from-google

WHAT??!!!!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fuck. Moto just got good again too.

Page can't be this stupid can he? That's a $9 billion loss, at least.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Have they found one that was worth anything yet?
T
hey could have them defensively to prevent suits. And the no attack mutual agreement with Samsung may in part be based on these patents.

Hey AndroidGAF, is there any visual voicemail app (besides the GoogleVoice hack)?

What's wrong with Google Voice? And what phone and carrier? Some carriers have their own.

I hope Sony releases a Google Play Edition version of the Z1 Compact. I don't have any faith in Lenovo releasing timely updates for my Moto X if Motorola gets sold... and there are no similarly sized alternatives.

SimleuqiR

Unless the rumors about them dropping the Nexus program are true

It's a lot easier to contract an OEM partner to help with manufacturing a Nexus phone every year (based on a flagship platform), than to have your own Mobile handset manufacturer.

Besides, the Nexus brand is pretty popular, especially with the Nexus 7. I just don't see the point in killing off the program. If the Nexus phones go, then the tablets should too.

Blackhead

Redarse
What's wrong with Google Voice? And what phone and carrier? Some carriers have their own.

Google Voice is US only. I'm helping setup a Moto G and would rather preload a nice visual voicemail app now that leave them with carrier app that will likely suck, assuming one is available.

UK Android GAF Represent!

Long story short, I've got a £10 Google Play voucher to give away.

At 9:41pm tonight, I've taken a screen grab of my remaining battery life on my Nexus 5. The person who guesses closest to the percentage of battery life from my screen grab wins the voucher. Don't bother replying if you aren't a UK user as the voucher likely doesn't work overseas. I'll check any answers in this thread over the next 24 hours and announce the winner at 10pm UK time tomorrow night.

Just quote this post with your guess at what the battery percentage is. One guess only, no multiple posts and I won't accept edited posts. Good luck!

HawkeyeIC

Welp, hopefully those vague comment Google made about 'working with verizon' happen and aren't worthless, as moto made the only phone on Verizon that I like.

Wassup people. Just saw all the news, Google is dumb, assuming any of it ends up being true. They haven't even truly tried with Motorola yet. They've been half-assing it since they bought the company. They've been half-assing it with Nexus devices. The main problem, in my opinion, being marketing/advertising, which is ridiculous considering it's Google. They seem to be unwilling to spend the money to let people know that these products exist. It would've been cool to see a Moto turnaround with them becoming a viable competitor to Samsung.

I really hope selling Moto and ending the Nexus program are not true, as a Moto or Nexus would be the only Android devices I'd be willing to purchase now that I've had a lot of hands on experience with non Nexus devices this post year.

. . . .

Anyway, is there a way to extract the wallpapers from an icon pack directly on a phone, in like a file explorer? I know how to do it from a PC, but my computer is now dead and has been for months.

Edit: Welp, it's true. Gotdammit, Google.

At least Andrex' Moto X w/wood back might be a collectors item soon!

Oh, and hey, you guys remember that XFON guy? What is he doing these days?

SuperSah

Banned
UK Android GAF Represent!

Long story short, I've got a £10 Google Play voucher to give away.

At 9:41pm tonight, I've taken a screen grab of my remaining battery life on my Nexus 5. The person who guesses closest to the percentage of battery life from my screen grab wins the voucher. Don't bother replying if you aren't a UK user as the voucher likely doesn't work overseas. I'll check any answers in this thread over the next 24 hours and announce the winner at 10pm UK time tomorrow night.

Just quote this post with your guess at what the battery percentage is. One guess only, no multiple posts and I won't accept edited posts. Good luck!

16%

Please be close. D:

gcubed

You all better be ready to join #teamsoftbutt... we will pull you out of your shitty stone age methods kicking and screaming and you will like it.

Down with touchwiz! Down with capacitive buttons!

Google will maintain ownership of the vast majority of the Motorola Mobility patent portfolio, including current patent applications and invention disclosures. As part of its ongoing relationship with Google, Lenovo will receive a license to this rich portfolio of patents and other intellectual property. Additionally Lenovo will receive over 2,000 patent assets, as well as the Motorola Mobility brand and trademark portfolio.

They got what they wanted.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't care Google sold Moto, so as long as Moto keeps on the track it's been on. They've been pretty good lately. I still want always on voice on my N5. It's never coming :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom