• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjolle

Maybe Lenovo won't have googles hatred against facebook and will provide an update that makes facebook sync available on the Moto G...

Though it's probably more likely that it won't see any updates ever again.

Fjolle

I really hope it isn't. That would make me terribly sad. Especially given my normal policy of only buying nexus devices when it comes to android.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the rumor only from Eldar?

As long as no one else is saying it we can safely assume it's bullshit.

Eanan

Has anyone here had the issue where your WiFi consistently drops or cuts out every few ninutes when streaming music over Bluetooth to a speaker? Its infuriating as I'm trying to stream off Google music and it keeps dropping.

Running carbon rom 4.3 final night on nexus 4.

Any one got any help for me?

I really can't understand why anyone is still listening to Eldar. Like, my brain can't process it. Why the fuck would anyone believe his bullshit anymore?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Ready for S-Stalker?

nexusae0_SamMobile-Samsung-Life-Times-2_thumb.jpg

nexusae0_SamMobile-Samsung-Life-Times-3_thumb.jpg

nexusae0_SamMobile-Samsung-Life-Times-4_thumb.jpg

The app is a sort of life logger, collecting data from various apps and presenting them in a personal digital history. Most of the relevant Galaxy-centric apps can be incorporated, including Samsung's camera, email, memo, SMS, phone, music, and health apps, and connections can be made to social accounts at Facebook, Google+, Instagram, and the like. Each service or app is optional. Once you've connected everything up, Life Times will collect your information into daily "episodes," displaying each day as a fetching subsection. Think of it as a NSA dossier in a shiny UI wrapper. It's similar in some ways to Samsung's current Story Album, though SamMobile isn't sure if this is a replacement or an augmentation.

The app itself was taken from firmware labeled SM-G900H. The screenshots are in 1080p and formatted for a phone screen, but that's as much as we can say with any certainty. The Galaxy S5 announcement is due in the next couple of months, assuming that Samsung sticks to its yearly schedule, so that would seem like a natural fit for the debut of Life Times.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...aked-expected-to-debut-on-future-smartphones/

CronoShot

My Note 3 keeps randomly using its GPS, and I have no idea why. I've done 2 factory resets, and it still keeps happening. If I turn the GPS off and then back on it stops, but it's still annoying.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Could be an app spooking. Probably Facebook.

Yep. There are several apps that do this all the time. Facebook is a huge culprit.

I wish there was an app similar to betterbattery but for gps. And one for data. So we can see which app does what when. That should sniff out any background intruders.

VPhys

Wassup people. Just saw all the news, Google is dumb, assuming any of it ends up being true. They haven't even truly tried with Motorola yet. They've been half-assing it since they bought the company. They've been half-assing it with Nexus devices. The main problem, in my opinion, being marketing/advertising, which is ridiculous considering it's Google. They seem to be unwilling to spend the money to let people know that these products exist. It would've been cool to see a Moto turnaround with them becoming a viable competitor to Samsung.

I really hope selling Moto and ending the Nexus program are not true, as a Moto or Nexus would be the only Android devices I'd be willing to purchase now that I've had a lot of hands on experience with non Nexus devices this post year.

. . . .

Anyway, is there a way to extract the wallpapers from an icon pack directly on a phone, in like a file explorer? I know how to do it from a PC, but my computer is now dead and has been for months.

Edit: Welp, it's true. Gotdammit, Google.

This does not bode well for the Nexus phones at all, the Nexus 5 may be the last of it's kind.

I sure hope the Nexus 7 has sold well enough for google to keep the tablet program running.

I assume the Nexus 10 did not sell well which is why they did not update it last year. The Nexus 7 however, seems to be more popular among the general public, plus t-mobile is carrying it. I think if anything has a chance of surviving it's the sub 8" tablet category.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This does not bode well for the Nexus phones at all, the Nexus 5 may be the last of it's kind.

I sure hope the Nexus 7 has sold well enough for google to keep the tablet program running.

I assume the Nexus 10 did not sell well which is why they did not update it last year. The Nexus 7 however, seems to be more popular among the general public, plus t-mobile is carrying it. I think if anything has a chance of surviving it's the sub 8" tablet category.

I think the Nexus 7 thrives with an annual update, but the 10 did not need an update. It is still excellent. I think at the higher end, as the price is higher, people update/upgrade more rarely.

As to the 5, I don't think it sold too well, and I think Lenovo would rather put effort into something like the Razr customer line and simply have "developer" versions of phones for instant updates.

Thinking along those lines, perhaps have Nexus versions of various flagship phones that are available off contract and unlocked for latest Android. Don't see why they could not contract simultaneously for say an LG G2 version, a GS4 version, and a Motorola Razr version. Allow both options in hardware and software at the same time.

VPhys

That's what they are doing with the GPE phones. I'm confident they can keep that going. Only problem with GPE phones is they are not a "deal" like Nexus devices. They sell at MSRP which is normally $650 and up.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wouldn't call the N10 excellent. It lags a ton. But it is still the best Android tablet. N7 users own two phones.

I wish Samsung would partner with Apple to use Apple Maps data on Galaxy phones. Tell Google to fuck off. Samsung and Apple could supplant Google Maps for good. Good riddance to strong arming what Android should be. Let users decide.

That's what they are doing with the GPE phones. I'm confident they can keep that going. Only problem with GPE phones is they are not a "deal" like Nexus devices. They sell at MSRP which is normally $650 and up.

Yes but it seems the GPE are not guaranteed to get the new android OS updates as fast as the nexus devices. Could you imagine google releasing Android 5.0, having press releases but none of the Samsung, LG, whatever phones adapt it for 6 months? This is in a post nexus device world.

SuperSah

Banned
I wouldn't call the N10 excellent. It lags a ton. But it is still the best Android tablet. N7 users own two phones.

I wish Samsung would partner with Apple to use Apple Maps data on Galaxy phones. Tell Google to fuck off. Samsung and Apple could supplant Google Maps for good. Good riddance to strong arming what Android should be. Let users decide.

Eh, Google Maps is way better than Apple Maps.

The amount of mistakes on that thing is amazing.

Apple aren't going to have their software on non apple devices, especially mobile. The only exception I can think of (from the top of my head) is iTunes on Windows. So this isn't going to happen, period. (Edit - and Quicktime)

That isn't even getting into the fact that Google Maps is the superior (albeit imperfect) product, or furthermore that you aren't forced into using Google Maps as your default Maps app if you'd prefer not to use it, so if users want to tell Google to "fuck off" they are welcome to choose an alternative app. The lack of a superior alternative on any platform speaks volumes for the quality of the product. As for Google strong arming Android, they did make it so... they kind of get to decide how to shape it. Nothing to stop Samsung from exiting the OHA if they want to fork Android and go it alone. If this is really about the "rumour" that Sammy are about to dial back some of their android services, it's just that - a rumour. Google have allowed companies to play fast and loose with the UI, modifications and own services for quite some time. Whilst it's not as open as say Linux, it's a hell of a lot more modifiable even in the OHA than Windows Phone or iOS.

vivftp

The Engadget score of 88 seems oddly low given how much they seemed to praise the device and how insignificant the downsides were.

And BTW, a bad point is the price point relative to other Minis? Well duh, because other Minis are pieces of crap in comparison.

SimleuqiR

Karish

Someone on craigslist is willing to sell me their moto X for $165. Mistake to buy given the sale of Motorola?

Someone else is willing to sell me their S4 for $200. Which should I go with? This will be my first Android phone...

Head Stapler

Neo Member
UK Android GAF Represent!

Long story short, I've got a £10 Google Play voucher to give away.

At 9:41pm tonight, I've taken a screen grab of my remaining battery life on my Nexus 5. The person who guesses closest to the percentage of battery life from my screen grab wins the voucher. Don't bother replying if you aren't a UK user as the voucher likely doesn't work overseas. I'll check any answers in this thread over the next 24 hours and announce the winner at 10pm UK time tomorrow night.

Just quote this post with your guess at what the battery percentage is. One guess only, no multiple posts and I won't accept edited posts. Good luck!

Hi there! I'm guessing 33%

tino

Banned
How do you guys buy phone on Craigslist, what if he report the phone stolen 2 days later? At lease alot of ebay auction give you 14-30 days gaurantee.

Grats' to the winner!

I was on a good streak all day then he appears and steals it away. I could of tasted that victory. :p

Well seeing as that you had been the only person to enter up until him you were looking a sure fire winner in the face. In this case, guessing too early probably caused your downfall. I'm sure there's a lesson in here somewhere...

40%!

e: too slow

You think I'd ever give a voucher to the likes of you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom