• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Hey guys, I didn't know where else to ask this, hope it's appropriate here. I need some troubleshooting help.

My phone spontaneously shut itself off and rebooted with a near-flat battery. Its now using the default launcher and not GoLauncherEX. A quick browse of my phone and microSD card shows that all of the apps are mysteriously not available.Even basics like Chrome and Facebook apps can't be read and aren't even available to open. Other data (e.g. pictures, music) can be read and opened, and rooting it to my PC works fine; no apps are deleted. I am updated to the latest version of the OS. I've tried taking the battery out, restarting, popping the microSD card out and back in, and other simple stuff. The screenshot I took shows what the App section of my Settings page looks like - normally the app icons are in place, not the generic image you see in all the apps listed.

I can't seem to find a solution online and am getting pretty frustrated. Anyone able to help me out?

1010459_10152015806608591_1533606989_n.jpg

The memory (as in the "hdd" of the phone) is corrupted, I suggest you factory reset.

This is why have your phone unlocked and have a NAND backup is a good idea. Or at lease root it and use Titanium to backup all the apps.

tino

Banned
It's all over, RIP android. Writing has been on the wall for a while now.

If apple releases a bigger iphone I'm going to be super tempted.

If google sit on their ass and keep the default behavior of the virtual buttons you might as well upgrade to a 5" iPhone.

Me. I am staying. I am too used to AOSP browser and none of the iOS browser can replace it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I bought a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition today. However, my Google play store is in German.

I do not speak German. Is there a setting somewhere to set my Google Play account back to US? My only card info attached to the Play account is an American card.

Any help would be appreciated, because I feel as if I just bought a fairly expensive paperweight.

3phemeral

Hey guys, I didn't know where else to ask this, hope it's appropriate here. I need some troubleshooting help.

My phone spontaneously shut itself off and rebooted with a near-flat battery. Its now using the default launcher and not GoLauncherEX. A quick browse of my phone and microSD card shows that all of the apps are mysteriously not available.Even basics like Chrome and Facebook apps can't be read and aren't even available to open. Other data (e.g. pictures, music) can be read and opened, and rooting it to my PC works fine; no apps are deleted. I am updated to the latest version of the OS. I've tried taking the battery out, restarting, popping the microSD card out and back in, and other simple stuff. The screenshot I took shows what the App section of my Settings page looks like - normally the app icons are in place, not the generic image you see in all the apps listed.

I can't seem to find a solution online and am getting pretty frustrated. Anyone able to help me out?

1010459_10152015806608591_1533606989_n.jpg
As tino said, you might have to factory reset. If it were just those reboots, I might get a new battery, as I experienced that after a year and some months with my old phone when I use it to tether and it's constantly charged and hot. But those other issues indicate something else.

I wish Samsung would partner with Apple to use Apple Maps data on Galaxy phones. Tell Google to fuck off. Samsung and Apple could supplant Google Maps for good. Good riddance to strong arming what Android should be. Let users decide.

Apple Maps is the futuristic maps solution for all futuristic motherfuckers.

I support this initiative 100% because I support the future.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wouldn't call the N10 excellent. It lags a ton. But it is still the best Android tablet. N7 users own two phones.

I wish Samsung would partner with Apple to use Apple Maps data on Galaxy phones. Tell Google to fuck off. Samsung and Apple could supplant Google Maps for good. Good riddance to strong arming what Android should be. Let users decide.

Apple Maps' hyper accurate data with Samsung's award-winning UI design, sounds like a match made in heaven!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's not 2012 anymore. Most iOS users use Apple Maps.

DonMigs85

I wouldn't call the N10 excellent. It lags a ton. But it is still the best Android tablet. N7 users own two phones.

Suggestion: Try leaving at least 20% free space on it and let FSTRIM work its magic, might fix a lot of the lag.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Going from the Galaxy S3 to the Xperia Z is like a huge jump, I'm so confused, why is my not laggy? Why am I allowed to disable pre-installed apps? Why?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Suggestion: Try leaving at least 20% free space on it and let FSTRIM work its magic, might fix a lot of the lag.

I'm using like 6GB on my 32GB. Does yours work smoothly? Things like my keyboard popping up, multitasking windows, switching apps aren't smooth.

Bboy AJ

I do wonder how the standalone Google Maps is doing. Certainly here in Australia Apple got so much bad press i can't imagine many people stuck with Apple maps.
Google Maps is done on iOS: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/11...-all-other-ios-mapping-apps-including-google/

It's not as good, sure, but it's good enough and it'll continue to get better. I'm glad to see Google having an actual competitor in this area. The world could do with less monopolies on data.

unreon

The memory (as in the "hdd" of the phone) is corrupted, I suggest you factory reset.

This is why have your phone unlocked and have a NAND backup is a good idea. Or at lease root it and use Titanium to backup all the apps.

As tino said, you might have to factory reset. If it were just those reboots, I might get a new battery, as I experienced that after a year and some months with my old phone when I use it to tether and it's constantly charged and hot. But those other issues indicate something else.

Thanks for the help guys. I did a factory reset and everything is working well. I just wished it didn't have to come this far :/

SimleuqiR

Google Maps is done on iOS: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/11...-all-other-ios-mapping-apps-including-google/

It's not as good, sure, but it's good enough and it'll continue to get better. I'm glad to see Google having an actual competitor in this area. The world could do with less monopolies on data.

Well, which other company has spent years mapping streets and making their maps better? Google should reap the rewards of spending the time and money on maps, and then offering it for free* (*free to use but your data is mined).

There is no "monopoly" when it comes to maps. Any company that wants to spend the time and resources to build up a competitive service can do it.

Who would have thought 10 years ago (2004) that Maps would be this important in the mobile space? Microsoft for sure didn't have the foresight to build a competitive product.

I feel like "good enough" is good enough to discourage competition. I mean, if Apple Maps is the default maps app for millions of people, and it's not incompetent enough to turn away users, what competitive advantage could Google incorporate to woo users? I can't think of one. I'm not saying there isn't -- I'm just not a genius engineer at Google, obviously.

If Amazon and Samsung were to invest in mapping tech, they could do the same. Amazon could include Amazon Maps on all Kindles and Samsung their own maps on all Galaxies. As long as it's "good enough" it kinda takes the competition out of it.

Or rather, it moves the competition back to the hardware space, as in who can sell the most phones, which is what all three companies mentioned are focusing on at the moment.

Bboy AJ

I know why it is. But if the default is so bad, people wouldn't use it. But guess what, it's good enough and it'll continue to get better.

Google did earn that map data but a company being able to throw its weight around is never a good thing. Plus, they're a really shitty company. The less they can strong arm other companies, the better.

Talon

Apple Maps is a pretty unique case, though, with $160 billion cash on-hand. It's worth it to them as a platform holder to invest in a new mapping service to further lock-in users to their stack. Microsoft started in the maps game back with Bing Maps back in 2005, so it never became a problem for them - well outside of the whole actually selling phones bit.

Case in point, Apple Maps is the only map application that has direct access to your contacts list on your phone. So, for example, you make a Calendar appointment for David's tomorrow for lunch, and it'll pull David's info including his address, which acts as a link that opens your Maps.

It's sort of like manual entry exercise applications. Those get much less follow through and usage because it's inconvenient for the user to log their run every day. A seamless interaction where it automatically logs is much more usable - albeit creepy - but dat's da price.

That convenience factor is going to get people to keep using Apple maps over a third party option, and, like Bboy says, it's only going to continue to improve as more and more people use it.

Put simply, the barrier to switching what map software you use on your phone is insignificant. The barrier to switching your phone outright is significantly higher. Apple made the right choice for their platform to further cut out Google.

I do wonder if Appple finally drops a big screen how that changes things for a lot of people.
it's pretty much the main reason I can't go back to iphone. Even though I was joking with the first part of my post that part wasn't a joke. I'll be tempted :p

So yeah if Apple releases a bigger screen on an iphone it will take the android gods themselves to stop me from getting one. This is actually the longest I've gone without an iphone. I usually go 1 year iphone 1 year android etc... Last iphone I had was 4S in 2011.

I've been on Android for about 2 years now. Wouldn't mind going back to iPhone for a bit just to mix things up. BUT I'd need more than just a bigger screen though... it's insane that there's still no inter-app sharing and I'd need that at the minimum to think about going back.

tino

Banned
Apple Maps is a pretty unique case, though, with $160 billion cash on-hand. It's worth it to them as a platform holder to invest in a new mapping service to further lock-in users to their stack. Microsoft started in the maps game back with Bing Maps back in 2005, so it never became a problem for them - well outside of the whole actually selling phones bit.

Case in point, Apple Maps is the only map application that has direct access to your contacts list on your phone. So, for example, you make a Calendar appointment for David's tomorrow for lunch, and it'll pull David's info including his address, which acts as a link that opens your Maps.

It's sort of like manual entry exercise applications. Those get much less follow through and usage because it's inconvenient for the user to log their run every day. A seamless interaction where it automatically logs is much more usable - albeit creepy - but dat's da price.

That convenience factor is going to get people to keep using Apple maps over a third party option, and, like Bboy says, it's only going to continue to improve as more and more people use it.

Put simply, the barrier to switching what map software you use on your phone is insignificant. The barrier to switching your phone outright is significantly higher. Apple made the right choice for their platform to further cut out Google.

Not arguing that Apple map will keep a big pie of profile to Apple itself. But Apple should do the right thing and make apple map good, Buy out TomTom would be a start.

I am only royal to the best maping program, I don't give a fuck to the platform. New Google Map doesn't have working custom map function. I said fuck it and went back to GMaps version 6 and Android 4.1

The broken GMap 7 gave me the same bad taste as Google Reader did.

I've been on Android for about 2 years now. Wouldn't mind going back to iPhone for a bit just to mix things up. BUT I'd need more than just a bigger screen though... it's insane that there's still no inter-app sharing and I'd need that at the minimum to think about going back.
yeah that's a weird one, I imagine that will be a big part of iOS 8 since it seems like one of the major things still missing. With ios 8 they can't really lean on the new design as the big thing again, so I'm guessing it'll be filling the holes.

satam55

Banned
I know why it is. But if the default is so bad, people wouldn't use it. But guess what, it's good enough and it'll continue to get better.

Google did earn that map data but a company being able to throw its weight around is never a good thing. Plus, they're a really shitty company. The less they can strong arm other companies, the better.
WTF are you talking about??!! Google didn't strong arm anybody.

Talon

WTF are you talking about??!! Google didn't strong arm anybody.
Please. Both companies were playing games over the terms.
For its part, Apple apparently felt that the older Google Maps-powered Maps in iOS were falling behind Android — particularly since they didn't have access to turn-by-turn navigation, which Google has shipped on Android phones for several years. The Wall Street Journal reported in June that Google also wanted more prominent branding and the ability to add features like Latitude, and executives at the search giant were unhappy with Apple's renewal terms. But the existing deal between the two companies was still valid and didn't have any additional requirements, according to our sources — Apple decided to simply end it and ship the new maps with turn-by-turn.

Sort of want.

So i just activated my Moto X on the $30 t-mo plan. This is my first android phone and I'm pretty excited about it. I've always had iPhones and decided I wanted something different, plus the plan was perfect for me.

Some questions:
Does the gmail app have a unified inbox option for multiple accounts?
What are some of the best widgets?
Is it possible to theme app icons without rooting the phone?
What's the easiest way to root the moto x? edit: Preferably a way to do this on a Mac
Is it possible to get a percentage instead of the battery icon?
Any hidden gems in the utility department?

3phemeral

So i just activated my Moto X on the $30 t-mo plan. This is my first android phone and I'm pretty excited about it. I've always had iPhones and decided I wanted something different, plus the plan was perfect for me.

Some questions:
Does the gmail app have a unified inbox option for multiple accounts?
No. What I do is forward all of my other gmail accounts to the main one. It's easier this way, for me at least. Otherwise, you'll have to select the account you want and then view each inbox separately.

What are some of the best widgets?
Depends on your usage. Now that I've stuck with stock on my Moto X, it doesn't hurt to have a power widget that allows me to activate tether, flashlight, volume, or rotation lock. I also like using Google+'s location tracker. It lets me know where my family is and where my S.O. is so I can prepare dinner or other things just before they get home. I really recommend just trying them out and seeing what situation you prefer to see your information instantly (apps you check on frequently), or ones where you don't use as often and can therefore just open the app whenever you need to.

Is it possible to theme app icons without rooting the phone?
Yes indeed. You just have to use a launcher that will support whatever theme pack you're using. I think there are icon packs that don't need a launcher to activate them, but for the longest time, I've been using Nova + icon pack.

What's the easiest way to root the moto x? edit: Preferably a way to do this on a Mac
You will probably have to go to XDA on this. You'll find extensive FAQs on the matter. I don't plan on rooting mine at all, as in the long run, I've really only had trouble when I've went crazy customizing it. Then again, I did have a horribly supported Verizon GNexus.

Is it possible to get a percentage instead of the battery icon?
Requires root. I'm sure you can simply just root and find an xposed module that will allow this. Xposed isn't available on the play store (it'll be on xda). Once you load it, you'll be able to see what modules are available for your phone.

Any hidden gems in the utility department?
Not sure what you mean. I find that I use the shake-to-activate-camera motion practically all the time. For the most part, I'm just enjoying my ability to use my phone in the winter without having to take my gloves off. Asking or weather conditions, navigating somewhere, even using the touchless control to switch back and forth between apps. "Ok Google Now, text so-and-so" *texts person* "Ok google now, open waze app" *resumes navigation screen*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom