• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon

So i just activated my Moto X on the $30 t-mo plan. This is my first android phone and I'm pretty excited about it. I've always had iPhones and decided I wanted something different, plus the plan was perfect for me.

Some questions:
Does the gmail app have a unified inbox option for multiple accounts?
I have 3 accounts i've linked with the gmail app, as for unified inbox i'm not sure, but I can check all 3 accounts as I get mail just by swiping from the left and going to the appropriate box.

What are some of the best widgets?
DashClock Is cool. Other than that I use a few of the ones that just come in the widgets section.

Is it possible to theme app icons without rooting the phone?

You need a new launcher. Nova Launcher then you can get any assortment of icon themes. I use Tersus 2

So i just activated my Moto X on the $30 t-mo plan. This is my first android phone and I'm pretty excited about it. I've always had iPhones and decided I wanted something different, plus the plan was perfect for me.

Some questions:
Does the gmail app have a unified inbox option for multiple accounts?
no. you can try a different mail app. like the email app.

What are some of the best widgets?
i love the Falcon Pro widget.. and HD Weather widget!

Is it possible to theme app icons without rooting the phone?
yes if you use a Launcher that supports it like Nova or Apex.

What's the easiest way to root the moto x? edit: Preferably a way to do this on a Mac
pass. check XDA.

Is it possible to get a percentage instead of the battery icon?
that would require root, but if you want a percentage *in addition to* the battery icon, there are apps that display the %, like Notification Toggle

Any hidden gems in the utility department?
in the Moto X? quite a few gimmicks to be had there...

tino

Banned
You don't really need root to show battery percentage. Notification toggle let you add a 2nd battery icons on the notif bar. You can set it to percentage only. You might need root or most likely a different rom to turn off the default battery icon.

Talon

That red N5 looks hideous.
I'll show you hideous, bruh.
LG-Nexus-5-Black-Yellow.png

Eanan

Carbon rom FINALLY updated to kitkat. Been waiting for this. Was debating going for stock with xposed and all that sheeeet, but carbon is good for me.

3phemeral

I wish Moto X had a larger battery...I can't own a phone where I need to worry about about running out of juice.

I worried about this too, but I navigated for 20 minutes, used the screen for 3 hours, and still had enough to last the rest of the day with casually using it for setting alarms via touchless control or taking pictures.

thespot84

except for some rogue process one day I haven't even come close to running out over a full day. i don't use that much screen time but it's on lte w/wifi on 24/7 and i stream a lot of music. super happy with it.

Futureman

just noticed Google Maps desktop looks amazing zoomed in near where I work. Is this probably Google integrating 3D models? Looks 3D to me. I know this was always on the phone with the gray buildings, but I'm talking satellite view.

tino

Banned
just noticed Google Maps desktop looks amazing zoomed in near where I work. Is this probably Google integrating 3D models? Looks 3D to me. I know this was always on the phone with the gray buildings, but I'm talking satellite view.

Eagle eye view. Photo taken from airplanes. Yes this is new. Last time I check only Statue of Liberty had the eagle eye view. Now I have it in Brooklyn.

edit: only my work place, not where I live damn it.

Futureman

just compared San Francisco on Apple's Maps and Google Maps... on quick glance it looks slightly better in Google Maps. What Google is doing in the browser is better than what Apple can push with a native app. Really making a case for Chrome OS.

Pittsburgh has no 3D view in Apple's Maps and looks beautiful in Google Maps.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's a good battery tracking app?

My phone seems to be draining faster than it should be and I can't tell what's sucking the most juice.

Better Battery Stats. Check the OP for the app thread.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, the different launchers available, does it change everything about the look of the UI? Is there some app that I can get to remove all the horseshit that came on my Note 10.1?

phoenixyz

So, the different launchers available, does it change everything about the look of the UI? Is there some app that I can get to remove all the horseshit that came on my Note 10.1?
That depends on what specific kind of horseshit it is. If you want to remove the bloatware for example you would need to root it. If you just want to change some UI elements try out a few launchers and see if they offer what you are looking for.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That depends on what specific kind of horseshit it is. If you want to remove the bloatware for example you would need to root it. If you just want to change some UI elements try out a few launchers and see if they offer what you are looking for.

I would love to remove the dozens of redundant Samsung apps that nobody has ever used, ever. Also, I think I figured out most of the other stuff, but is there an easy way to root a 2014 Galaxy 10.1?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Getting a tablet....

Nexus 7 or Ipad mini ? Already in the google eco system tho justwant to get thoughts

Nexus 7 >>>iPad Mini
Air >>> iPad Mini

The price hike + the color problems just make it hard to recommend the mini. Plus the N7 is fantastic in its out right, and the price is amazing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I own both and the mini is a better tablet plus you get to try out a different ecosystem rather than being locked down. But the price difference is significant. Enough that I wouldn't recommend the average person to pay it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Mini is a great tablet. I don't know why Vanilla is bringing up color problems on the Mini. It's irrelevant and unnoticeable for 99% of people.

Plus, it has a proper aspect ratio.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Mini is a great tablet. I don't know why Vanilla is bringing up color problems on the Mini. It's irrelevant and unnoticeable for 99% of people.

Your paying $100 more than last year though. Why spend $400 on an inferior display compared to the N7?

FYI was randomly in Staples the other night with a buddy. We both noticed the difference at the iPad display.

If you want an iPad just get the Air if you are already gonna spend $400.

Nicktendo86

I've never know someone to praise a product so much (iPad mini) and diss his own (nexus 10) but stick with the one you have! Lol

What was that HTC phone posted above, new flagship? Run out of design ideas/doing an apple or got lots of unsold HTC one chassis to use?

Karu

Hi,
I only recently got a smartphone (like... First time Ever), the Z1, and while i am fairly happy with the device, i noticed some quirks in the last few days. Real racing 3 e.g. crashed always running only for a minute or so - it's probably not even 'crashing' per se, since it only takes me to the home screen, but cause i still have to reload it when reentering, this is really annoying. Same happens at a few other instances like trying to play a video on gametrailers.com (which got resolved after some seemingly unrelated Cleaning)

Do you guys have some tipps or hints what such behaviour is all about? Would be a shame if the phone already looses some of its power only after 1 week admitedly heavy usage. Or is this rather 'normal' and the cleaning does the trick??

jokkir

What's the chance of a second gen Sony camera lens like the QX10/QX100? I'm interested in these and I'm thinking it would be a waste getting it now if a new one would come out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom