• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
woot woot!

Why was this so hard to do before? Chip limitations?

Nah, just Sony being cheap and buying a lesser version of the SoC from Qualcomm. It saved them like $7 per device iirc. However, with their plan to roll out in the US this year looking quite aggressive I think they have changed so they can ship one device globally and unify their US and RoW supply chain, the long term saving is there.

I'm really hoping some cool things happen on the android front at MWC. I want to see the OEMs to show products that shake things up a bit, not just a bunch of me too and incrementally updated hardware.

pronk420

i hope they release the jolla android launcher at this 'MWC' thing soon. although i can't imagine how the gestures will work. or any of it actually.

Oh man, Samsung really beat the S5 with the ugly stick this time. Holy shit that's bad.

Close to confirmation that the Z2 will be available on multiple US carriers with a "competitive timeframe", whatever that means. The original rumour was VZW, T-Mob and possibly Sprint. AT&T have so far declined. I feel they will change their minds come May.

In Europe, Asia and Canada the Z2 will begin rolling out in the second and third weeks of March. Full availability across all carriers in these places.

Also, now that the Vaio division is closed, more marketing money has been made available. Close to triple what they had for 2013 is being made available for 2014. It's going to be a wild ride guys. 2014 could be the year Xperia breaks out. The line up is there and the early buzz for the Z2 is insanely positive.

Finally, you guys need to see this screen in person. Nothing else even comes close. It is without a doubt the best mobile display currently in production, and the Z2 Tablet screen is also the best tablet screen I have ever seen. Even better than the Air.

I trusted you when you said the c6906 will have you a newer panels...but that didn't seem true...

But I will still trust you and hoping you're right this time..

You need to guide us on what model to get that will work with Att Lte...if we want to import an unlock version.

I trusted you when you said the c6906 will have you a newer panels...but that didn't seem true...

But I will still trust you and hoping you're right this time..

You need to guide us on what model to get that will work with Att Lte...if we want to import an unlock version.

There were four Z1 panels with three types, VA, IPS and PLS. I had only seen one prototype which happened to have the best one (PLS) when I broke that piece of info. :(

This time, I have been assured that there is only one panel type, IPS, better still there is only one LTE variant which will work globally, D6503. Very easy this time around. In all likelihood the LTE Z2 will be available unlocked in the US at some point, you won't need to import.

There were four Z1 panels with three types, VA, IPS and PLS. I had only seen one prototype which happened to have the best one (PLS) when I broke that piece of info. :(

This time, I have been assured that there is only one panel type, IPS, better still there is only one LTE variant which will work globally, D6503. Very easy this time around. In all likelihood the LTE Z2 will be available unlocked in the US at some point, you won't need to import.

But would the unlock one be release immediately or it will have to wait for the carrier "exclusive" to expire...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can only do so much when, really, Verizon and AT&T are the only companies that work in your area.

Still think with the recent changes AT&T has better pricing plans while giving you access to GSM devices which makes them have an edge over Verizon.

Plus you'd have access to stuff like Straight Talk's AT&T variant.

Still think with the recent changes AT&T has better pricing plans while giving you access to GSM devices which makes them have an edge over Verizon.

Plus you'd have access to stuff like Straight Talk's AT&T variant.

And being on a family plan... and for the record, I think both companies are fucking evil.

I love chrome, but I hate not being able to just swipe between tabs from anywhere on the page.

Is there an add on or something that would fix this?

VPhys

S5 is underwhelming. Reports are already out that the fingerprint scanner is not well implemented (big surprise).

I hope the Sony phones come to Verizon.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Looks like the Galaxy S3 era is Samsung's pinnacle. Maybe the Note 3 but that's less mainstream. The S3 won hearts and minds, the S4 was an underwhelming but good and expected upgrade, while the S5 is just absolute rubbish.

HTC AND LG, YOU UP NEXT. SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT

Would LOVE the new HTC One that is coming out. I recently got onto my plan back in July with Verizon... and wondering if I should actually spend the money to get a new phone... I'd be able to sell my S4 back for a good bit of money at least...

mturco

Used to be a feature, but they removed it. God only knows why.

I loved this feature too. They removed it to avoid people accidentally switching tabs when they really meant to scroll. This only happened to me rarely so I don't know what they were thinking. The swiping on the action bar is now barely quicker than hitting the tabs button and tapping the one you want. Bummer. Wish they would add it back as a lab at least.

I loved this feature too. They removed it to avoid people accidentally switching tabs when they really meant to scroll. This only happened to me rarely so I don't know what they were thinking. The swiping on the action bar is now barely quicker than hitting the tabs button and tapping the one you want. Bummer. Wish they would add it back as a lab at least.

I'll never understand why companies completely remove features like this.

Why not just give us a toggle option?

Groof

I wish they threw it back in as at least an optional setting. I never had any issues with the tab switching by swiping from the edges, it was super quick and easy. Swiping the address bar works, but it can be irritating at times to reach all that way.

We have a lot of phone manufacturers, but here in the states, it's more the issue of that not every carrier has the same brands or same phones as each other. Especially when one signal sucks compared to the other.

gcubed

And being on a family plan... and for the record, I think both companies are fucking evil.

at least you can leave ATT and have a useful phone at some point. Shitty CDMA is shitty... almost as shitty as the new S5. Having a verizon phone when you want to leave verizon is about as useful as having a 16gb Galaxy S5 with barely any usable space

at least you can leave ATT and have a useful phone at some point. Shitty CDMA is shitty... almost as shitty as the new S5. Having a verizon phone when you want to leave verizon is about as useful as having a 16gb Galaxy S5 with barely any usable space

I could see us moving on to another company for when do up the next time though. As of right now though, I may just buy a new phone, be happy with it and sell the previous phone. Like if I buy the new HTC One or if it ever comes to bear, the Z2 on Verizon, I would sell my S4.

Shouta

Hrm, looking into getting a smart phone finally but definitely want something Android-based.

All of them seem kind of pricey for the recent models. I'm looking into the Nexus 5 though. Any thoughts on that or is there a Nexus /Smart Phone-GAF that I'm not aware of?

Toki767

Hrm, looking into getting a smart phone finally but definitely want something Android-based.

All of them seem kind of pricey for the recent models. I'm looking into the Nexus 5 though. Any thoughts on that or is there a Nexus /Smart Phone-GAF that I'm not aware of?

Nexus 5 is fine. Also look into the Moto X if 5 inches is too big.

gcubed

Nexus 5 is fine. Also look into the Moto X if 5 inches is too big.

thats basically where we are at. The N5 is pretty ace if you are on GSM. The MotoX is a great phone as well, especially if you want a smaller phone. Its no slouch, but the N5 is superior in every way besides compactness.

Cipherr

N5 is definitely likely to be the best choice. Even in the near future.

MattDoza

Go N5, in that Red variant.

thespot84

thats basically where we are at. The N5 is pretty ace if you are on GSM. The MotoX is a great phone as well, especially if you want a smaller phone. Its no slouch, but the N5 is superior in every way besides compactness.

eehhhhhh having used both i feel like the moto x has superior build quality. Just feels better in the hand.

<--(biased owner of moto x)

gcubed

eehhhhhh having used both i feel like the moto x has superior build quality. Just feels better in the hand.

<--(biased owner of moto x)

well it does because of its size and superior rounded back. I'll filter that under compactness

rounded back is always superior

I prefer having a network which is available everywhere I go and with LTE. That outweighs being able to use a phone if I switch carriers. How often does that happen without you replacing your phone anyways? Do people really carrier hop all the time?

gcubed

I prefer having a network which is available everywhere I go and with LTE. That outweighs being able to use a phone if I switch carriers. How often does that happen without you replacing your phone anyways? Do people really carrier hop all the time?

I do too and have that with straight talk att for cheap.

I don't really go places where att doesn't have LTE.

Moto X just went up in price, 32gb version is now $450...anyone have a coupon for Moto maker?

Well there goes that. Nexus it is. I figured they would make it permanent

vivftp

Close to confirmation that the Z2 will be available on multiple US carriers with a "competitive timeframe", whatever that means. The original rumour was VZW, T-Mob and possibly Sprint. AT&T have so far declined. I feel they will change their minds come May.

In Europe, Asia and Canada the Z2 will begin rolling out in the second and third weeks of March. Full availability across all carriers in these places.

Also, now that the Vaio division is closed, more marketing money has been made available. Close to triple what they had for 2013 is being made available for 2014. It's going to be a wild ride guys. 2014 could be the year Xperia breaks out. The line up is there and the early buzz for the Z2 is insanely positive.

Finally, you guys need to see this screen in person. Nothing else even comes close. It is without a doubt the best mobile display currently in production, and the Z2 Tablet screen is also the best tablet screen I have ever seen. Even better than the Air.

zomg, do you have any info on whether the Z2 has a shatterproof sheet on the front and back? Some sources seem to be saying yes, and others say no.

Talon

zomg, do you have any info on whether the Z2 has a shatterproof sheet on the front and back? Some sources seem to be saying yes, and others say no.
Shatterproof as long as you don't let me take a hammer to it.
It's mostly useful for selling devices, IMO.

Ain't nobody got the patience for T-mobile in Chicago.

I don't carrier hop but I do phone hop all the time.
...I'm able to choose a wide variety of phone available even ones that not even available in the US..like the Z1 with LTE.

When I sell phone I can just easilly swap sim cards..

I went from HTC One > z1 >iPhone >LG g2 > palm veer (lol) > iPhone >z1...just swapping sim cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom