• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love chrome, but I hate not being able to just swipe between tabs from anywhere on the page.

Is there an add on or something that would fix this?

Habit Browser can do this. Someone recommended this a while ago and it makes one handed phone use so much easier. You can swipe between tabs, swipe from sides to bring up an option wheel, put tabs and address bar at the bottom of the screen. You can customize almost every thing about it. Both dolphin browser and this are so much better than chrome, I don't get why people use it, i guess other than syncing with the desktop.

vivftp

Shatterproof as long as you don't let me take a hammer to it.

... okay?

The shatterproof sheets actually seem to work wonders. My old Xperia X10a had been dropped at least 40-50 times on various surfaces including concrete from heights as great as about 5 feet and it didn't suffer a single problem due to its shatterproof sheet. Of course I got bored one day and removed it... another 10 or so drops and the screen was cracked, lol

Talon

... okay?

The shatterproof sheets actually seem to work wonders. My old Xperia X10a had been dropped at least 40-50 times on various surfaces including concrete from heights as great as about 5 feet and it didn't suffer a single problem due to its shatterproof sheet. Of course I got bored one day and removed it... another 10 or so drops and the screen was cracked, lol
Kaz, you should probably stop coating your hands in butter.
I don't carrier hop but I do phone hop all the time.
...I'm able to choose a wide variety of phone available even ones that not even available in the US..like the Z1 with LTE.

When I sell phone I can just easilly swap sim cards..

I went from HTC One > z1 >iPhone >LG g2 > palm veer (lol) > iPhone >z1...just swapping sim cards.
A wild Veer owner appears!

vivftp

Kaz, you should probably stop coating your hands in butter.

lol, the problem is I always keep my phones in my shirt pocket, and there are MANY occasions where it just goes flying. Sometimes I'm just bending over and it slips out. Sometimes I jump and there it goes. Sometimes I'm doing something and accidently uppercut it straight out of my pocket and send it flying.

Since I got my Z Ultra and a (fake) leather case, I havent had to worry about that :)

Llyranor

Given Sony's past release schedule (which I don't know), can anyone make a guess as to when The Z2 Compact could get released? Fall?

Z1 Compact's not even announced for Canada yet :/

reKon

Banned
LG doing this shit right:

gsmarena_003.jpg

so is it true no AT&T release for the Z2? :(

That would suck. :(

*sigh*

The z1 wasn't available for Att so I got a Canadian one that works with Att and tmobile Lte.

But zomg said that Z2 international version will already be Lte compatible.... And an unlock version will eventually comes out in the US this time..

Zapages

The z1 wasn't available for Att so I got a Canadian one that works with Att and tmobile Lte.

But zomg said that Z2 international version will already be Lte compatible.... And an unlock version will eventually comes out in the US this time..

I end up keeping my phone for 3 years or more… So Z2 not coming to AT&T sucks for me. Plus paying 500+ for a phone is a bit too expensive. :(

I thought paying 200 dollars for Galaxy S2 was a lot for a phone with 2 years contract for 100 dollars a month (family plan).

My Father still rocks his Samsung Eternity 1 which is on its 4th or 5th year… If it works, why need to get a new phone is my parents philosophy on these things.

Xyber

About a month back I started looking at phones for my next upgrade and felt like the G2 was the right thing for me after some recommendations in this thread. But now I see that a bunch of new phones are coming out very soon, guess I'll wait a bit more and see what the new phones will have to offer.

Looks like a new HTC One at the end of next month, I really like how they look. The recent One was pretty good right?

The Z2 also looks pretty nice, but I want to see some comparisons with all these new phones before I make a decision.

I've been an iPhone user ever since the 3GS, so I haven't really bothered keeping up with what's good on Android. The S5 does not look like something for me though, not a very pretty phone from the leaks I saw earlier today.

Current contract ends at the start of April, so all these new phones are being released at a very good time for me.

Habit Browser can do this. Someone recommended this a while ago and it makes one handed phone use so much easier. You can swipe between tabs, swipe from sides to bring up an option wheel, put tabs and address bar at the bottom of the screen. You can customize almost every thing about it. Both dolphin browser and this are so much better than chrome, I don't get why people use it, i guess other than syncing with the desktop.

Cool thanks. Its pretty customizable.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Samsung'd. And THANK YOU for not being the only one to notice that, thought I was going nuts.

People would notice it if they realized there's supposed to be text there. Otherwise, man, it's so indiscernible I don't blame anyone for not noticing!

zomg, do you have any info on whether the Z2 has a shatterproof sheet on the front and back? Some sources seem to be saying yes, and others say no.

Afaik it's gone.

I also have some positive news on the US release. AT&T should also get the phone. Sadly there is some bad news also, the phone won't launch until the CDMA version is ready (D6509?) and that doesn't have an ETA yet. The agreement is that every network gets the phone simultaneously and that T-Mobile and VZW will get some kind of special editions (32GB internal storage I guess). Basically it's a case of waiting and hoping for the best right now.

Pre-order demand has been insane in the UK according to my source, they have 3-4x the number of pre-orders and information sign-ups than they did for the Z1. Sony think they can beat the GS5 in Europe for sales volume and revenue. The Z1 is Sony's best selling flagship to date and they think they can beat that benchmark within a few weeks this time.

I did tell him that launching later than the GS5 in the US will cost them sales, they agreed and said they are working very hard to get their CDMA supply chain built up after a few tester devices in China (Xperia SP Dual is a CDMA phone). He reminded me that it took Apple around 8 months from agreeing a deal with VZW to the iPhone actually being released with a CDMA modem, and they have a smaller amount of resources than Apple.

I also had it confirmed that the marketing spend for the Z2 is going to be huge and that they will look to capitalise on any critical success of the Z2 Tablet better than they did for the Tablet Z. Basically they have adverts ready to go if the reviews are strong (which they will be, I'm sure).

Finally, he confirmed that the 4.4 updates for the Z-series are progressing well, initial beta testing is set to commence soon. The SP, T, TX, V and TL will get 4.4 about 4-6 weeks later on the current timetable, then after that it will be the L, M/Dual, T2 Ultra, M2, E1/Dual, but there is no timeframe for these devices yet.

On a side note he said the mid-range offering hasn't been fully announced for 2014, they don't yet have a successor for the SP announced yet. I guess it will be the non-ultra T2. The M2 is actually the successor to the L (I asked why it's not called the L2, they didn't know, but guessed that marketing want to capitalise on the commercial success of the Xperia M).

From another source I have the 2014 mid-range at 4.8" 720p, 2GB RAM, 16GB and a 1.4GHz Qualcomm processor (MSM8916 if that means anything) and an 8MP camera with a slightly larger sensor (same as the 5S).

Afaik it's gone.

I also have some positive news on the US release. AT&T should also get the phone. Sadly there is some bad news also, the phone won't launch until the CDMA version is ready (D6509?) and that doesn't have an ETA yet. The agreement is that every network gets the phone simultaneously and that T-Mobile and VZW will get some kind of special editions (32GB internal storage I guess). Basically it's a case of waiting and hoping for the best right now.

Pre-order demand has been insane in the UK according to my source, they have 3-4x the number of pre-orders and information sign-ups than they did for the Z1. Sony think they can beat the GS5 in Europe for sales volume and revenue. The Z1 is Sony's best selling flagship to date and they think they can beat that benchmark within a few weeks this time.

I did tell him that launching later than the GS5 in the US will cost them sales, they agreed and said they are working very hard to get their CDMA supply chain built up after a few tester devices in China (Xperia SP Dual is a CDMA phone). He reminded me that it took Apple around 8 months from agreeing a deal with VZW to the iPhone actually being released with a CDMA modem, and they have a smaller amount of resources than Apple.

I also had it confirmed that the marketing spend for the Z2 is going to be huge and that they will look to capitalise on any critical success of the Z2 Tablet better than they did for the Tablet Z. Basically they have adverts ready to go if the reviews are strong (which they will be, I'm sure).

Finally, he confirmed that the 4.4 updates for the Z-series are progressing well, initial beta testing is set to commence soon. The SP, T, TX, V and TL will get 4.4 about 4-6 weeks later on the current timetable, then after that it will be the L, M/Dual, T2 Ultra, M2, E1/Dual, but there is no timeframe for these devices yet.

On a side note he said the mid-range offering hasn't been fully announced for 2014, they don't yet have a successor for the SP announced yet. I guess it will be the non-ultra T2. The M2 is actually the successor to the L (I asked why it's not called the L2, they didn't know, but guessed that marketing want to capitalise on the commercial success of the Xperia M).

The idea of a Verizon version is fucking fantastic.

Afaik it's gone.

From another source I have the 2014 mid-range at 4.8" 720p, 2GB RAM, 16GB and a 1.4GHz Qualcomm processor (MSM8916 if that means anything) and an 8MP camera with a slightly larger sensor (same as the 5S).

Sounds good! But would the wait be so long that Sony will announce another flagship right after the US gets the Z2?

Kinda like the Z1S for tmobile was just release a month ago then they announce the Z2...

Blackhead

Redarse
Afaik it's gone.

I also have some positive news on the US release. AT&T should also get the phone. Sadly there is some bad news also, the phone won't launch until the CDMA version is ready (D6509?) and that doesn't have an ETA yet. The agreement is that every network gets the phone simultaneously and that T-Mobile and VZW will get some kind of special editions (32GB internal storage I guess). Basically it's a case of waiting and hoping for the best right now...
Bah.

More important tl me: Will there be a 'Google Play Edition' of the Z2? When will it be available?

The Z2 tablet still has a 1900x1200 resolution on a 10" screen which makes it a nonstarter imo

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Anyone check out the article on Android Police of the early prototype of a Google smart watch by Motorola.
Not exactly a looker but its only a prototype. no stupid camera like the Galaxy Gear.
nexusae0_image_thumb35.png

Android Police

Toki767

I still can't figure out what the point of a smart watch even is. The nice looking ones you'd wear for business aren't the ones you'd wear for exercising and vice versa.

sarcastor

Should I buy a used z1 international unlocked phone for $350? I'm using T-Mobile now but switching to straight talk soon and I need LTE. Also T-Mobile sucks balls I'm san Francisco.

gcubed

funny you bring that up because of how 2/3 of Samsung's new wearables ditch the camera!

also, why are people so hyped about the Gear Fit?

No idea. Bendable oled?!

The only style smaetwatch I'd consider is if it was something like pebbles upscale steel model. I don't want a Casio on my wrist

Should I buy a used z1 international unlocked phone for $350? I'm using T-Mobile now but switching to straight talk soon and I need LTE. Also T-Mobile sucks balls I'm san Francisco.

N5? Google will even deliver to you personally in 2 hours for free (if you never signed up for shopping express yet)

Zapages

Afaik it's gone.

AWESOME!!! It will be this or the Iphone 6. I will wait for the battery tests. Also I will need to check to see how the screen and battery life is for this phone.

Thank you so much for the update!!! :)

Water proofing and SD card is more important than timely updates :)

go for it! Z1 is still a decent device despite the screen drawback. But be surprise how big the actual device is, most people wont be aware of that till they actually hold one.

And nexus timely update LOL.... ask galaxy nexus owner about their kitkat....

gcubed

go for it! Z1 is still a decent device despite the screen drawback. But be surprise how big the actual device is, most people wont be aware of that till they actually hold one.

And nexus timely update LOL.... ask galaxy nexus owner about their kitkat....

Did I transport back to 2011?

vivftp

Afaik it's gone.

Sweet Jebus, finally! I'm also hearing the shatterproof sheet is gone from the Tablet Z2. Makes me wonder if Sony are putting an oleophobic coating on their phones now as well. The demo units seen at MWC videos are quite smudgy, but that's to be expected given how many people have probably handled the devices.

Still loving my Z Ultra, but I'm looking at the Z2 with envy. Sony, if you know what's good for you, make the Z2 Ultra EXACTLY like the Z2, but just larger. Hell, keep some of the features like pencil input too! I swear I'm gonna scream if the Z2 Ultra has a crappy feature set like camera and whatnot.

The Z2 tablet still has a 1900x1200 resolution on a 10" screen which makes it a nonstarter imo

Lower resolution yes, but still quite sufficient for a screen that size. Not to mention the lower resolution will help with battery life.

Anyways, if we're looking at PPI and compare it to say, the iPad air, the iPad has a PPI of 264 and the Xperia Tablet Z2 has a PPI of 224. Hardly a monsterous difference and I'd challange anyone to be able to tell the difference. Yes of course it's lower than other tablets like the Nexus 10 with its PPI of 300, but still it's by no means a garbage screen in comparison. From what I've been able to gather the colour accuracy of the screen should be superior on the Z2 Tablet. Could they have put in a larger battery to allow for a higher res screen? Sure, but that would mean making this ultra thin device thicker. Probably not the sort of trade off they would want to make

penis

Banned
With S5 and note 4 on the way I still don't see any real reason to upgrade from this Note 2.

720p is okay for phones but not for consoles : P

Cipherr

Im not terribly suprise but:

The Moto G has been the most successful, highest-selling smartphone in Motorola's history

Another nugget from Motorola's MWC press dinner. Motorola senior vice president of product management Rick Osterloh had this to say while talking about Motorola's commitment to Android, the upcoming merger, and Motorola's future.

He went on to mention that Motorola is making a profit on every sale, and that they will make even more after the Lenovo purchase is complete.

They aren't even losing money on each sale or anything. Damn. Surprising to see it more successful than the original Droid and the RAZR's. They also announced a successor to the X will come later this year (of course). Assuming they continue, it appears they may find their way back into the black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom