• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmincer

I dare say the RAZR was more successful. But that wasn't a smartphone so different comparison. I am amazed it makes a profit though. It's such an insane price.

thespot84

go for it! Z1 is still a decent device despite the screen drawback. But be surprise how big the actual device is, most people wont be aware of that till they actually hold one.

And nexus timely update LOL.... ask galaxy nexus owner about their kitkat....

kitkat and GEL were pretty slick on my gnex, for the record :p

Blackhead

Redarse
Lower resolution yes, but still quite sufficient for a screen that size. Not to mention the lower resolution will help with battery life.

Anyways, if we're looking at PPI and compare it to say, the iPad air, the iPad has a PPI of 264 and the Xperia Tablet Z2 has a PPI of 224. Hardly a monsterous difference and I'd challange anyone to be able to tell the difference. Yes of course it's lower than other tablets like the Nexus 10 with its PPI of 300, but still it's by no means a garbage screen in comparison. From what I've been able to gather the colour accuracy of the screen should be superior on the Z2 Tablet. Could they have put in a larger battery to allow for a higher res screen? Sure, but that would mean making this ultra thin device thicker. Probably not the sort of trade off they would want to make
Hardly a monsterous difference and I'd challange anyone to be able to tell the difference.
LMAO

yo why do people keep talking about better battery life with lower resolutions when battery life and resolution keep increasing together?

40 Ppi? Yeah I would say it would make a minimal difference in enjoying the quality of the screen when comparing the 2 devices.

2012 called and they want their panels back.

terrier

Afaik it's gone.

I also have some positive news on the US release. AT&T should also get the phone. Sadly there is some bad news also, the phone won't launch until the CDMA version is ready (D6509?) and that doesn't have an ETA yet. The agreement is that every network gets the phone simultaneously and that T-Mobile and VZW will get some kind of special editions (32GB internal storage I guess). Basically it's a case of waiting and hoping for the best right now.

Pre-order demand has been insane in the UK according to my source, they have 3-4x the number of pre-orders and information sign-ups than they did for the Z1. Sony think they can beat the GS5 in Europe for sales volume and revenue. The Z1 is Sony's best selling flagship to date and they think they can beat that benchmark within a few weeks this time.

I did tell him that launching later than the GS5 in the US will cost them sales, they agreed and said they are working very hard to get their CDMA supply chain built up after a few tester devices in China (Xperia SP Dual is a CDMA phone). He reminded me that it took Apple around 8 months from agreeing a deal with VZW to the iPhone actually being released with a CDMA modem, and they have a smaller amount of resources than Apple.

I also had it confirmed that the marketing spend for the Z2 is going to be huge and that they will look to capitalise on any critical success of the Z2 Tablet better than they did for the Tablet Z. Basically they have adverts ready to go if the reviews are strong (which they will be, I'm sure).

Finally, he confirmed that the 4.4 updates for the Z-series are progressing well, initial beta testing is set to commence soon. The SP, T, TX, V and TL will get 4.4 about 4-6 weeks later on the current timetable, then after that it will be the L, M/Dual, T2 Ultra, M2, E1/Dual, but there is no timeframe for these devices yet.

On a side note he said the mid-range offering hasn't been fully announced for 2014, they don't yet have a successor for the SP announced yet. I guess it will be the non-ultra T2. The M2 is actually the successor to the L (I asked why it's not called the L2, they didn't know, but guessed that marketing want to capitalise on the commercial success of the Xperia M).

From another source I have the 2014 mid-range at 4.8" 720p, 2GB RAM, 16GB and a 1.4GHz Qualcomm processor (MSM8916 if that means anything) and an 8MP camera with a slightly larger sensor (same as the 5S).

Great news there, i did not expect Xperia T to get 4.4 :)

ILoveBish

also, why are people so hyped about the Gear Fit?

HRMs on android are seriously janky. I need one and all the options are terrible. Using one, you can calculate exactly how many calories you burned at the gym, and adjust diet accordingly, its incredibly effective for calculations. It will also allow me to switch tracks at the gym without touching the phone, and its a watch. Seems pretty delicious to me. As long as its 200 or below, i am day 1. Otherwise i'll wait for it to reach that price. Also it looks really snazzy.

Mario007

HRMs on android are seriously janky. I need one and all the options are terrible. Using one, you can calculate exactly how many calories you burned at the gym, and adjust diet accordingly, its incredibly effective for calculations. It will also allow me to switch tracks at the gym without touching the phone, and its a watch. Seems pretty delicious to me. As long as its 200 or below, i am day 1. Otherwise i'll wait for it to reach that price. Also it looks really snazzy.
You could just get the Sony Smartband for 99 euro?

Groof

While it looks the best of the bunch, it has no display at all. I use a Fitbit Flex daily, and while it looks good and minimalistic it lacking at least a watch face is very disheartening.

ILoveBish

No watch, no heart rate, no skipping tracks. Id like to know a reason to even consider the smartband lol. My #1 thing is logging of heart rate while at the gym, the smartband doesnt do that, so its out of the running immediately.

Deleted a lot of junk apps I never use from my Nexus today. You think Google is ever going to remove apps that are redundant? Stock here.

Currents = Newsstand
Google Earth = Maps (please integrate the two ffs. Hide earth in a far off menu somewhere no one uses that shit)
News & Weather = Google Now + Newstand (never updated since forever aka useless)
Messaging = Hangouts
Gallery = Photos

yyzjohn

Banned
Deleted a lot of junk apps I never use from my Nexus today. You think Google is ever going to remove apps that are redundant? Stock here.

Currents = Newsstand
Google Earth = Maps (please integrate the two ffs. Hide earth in a far off menu somewhere no one uses that shit)
News & Weather = Google Now + Newstand (never updated since forever aka useless)
Messaging = Hangouts
Gallery = Photos

Currents is gone with the latest update. Open the app and it'll redirect you to newstand and the icon will be removed.

Talon

Vlad from the Verge says the back of the S5 even feels like a thick band-aid.

Unknown, praytell why this is great news.

Talon

I'm getting a kick out of this blatant Sony fanboy (he called himself a Sony fanboy last time he was on) producer that's back on The Verge mobile show.

I'm getting a kick out of this blatant Sony fanboy (he called himself a Sony fanboy last time he was on) producer that's back on The Verge mobile show.

Can't wait to listen to it. Should be great. It seems a bit weird that Sony phones have such a following, despite sucking badly until a year or two ago. Must be true brand loyalty. That, or a healthy investment in their stock.

Personally, I'd gladly switch from my Lumia to an Xperia, if they had wireless charging.

Can't wait to listen to it. Should be great. It seems a bit weird that Sony phones have such a following, despite sucking badly until a year or two ago. Must be true brand loyalty. That, or a healthy investment in their stock.

Personally, I'd gladly switch from my Lumia to an Xperia, if they had wireless charging.

People really liked the Arc.

I really like my ZL. Still waiting for a successor. :(

Groof

Could just be people who liked them back in the Sony Ericsson days and have had a brand loyalty that had to take a back seat for a while, that now resurfaced because Sony are doing good phones again.

I'm an Ericsson fan from the 90s, I've had no issues with any Ericsson/Sony Ericsson/Sony phone I’ve ever owned. I've seen people with Samsung galaxy phones who are always complaining about some issue with it or the thing running to a crawl - never had this issue with Sony's Android phones- maybe the X10.
The only thing I don't like about Sony/Sony Ericsson phones compared to it's competition is it's screens.
The K800i is still the best phone ever btw.

Seriously though, if Sony released a successor to the ZL with the same spec as the Z2 but dumped the waterproof stuff to make it much smaller I would definitely break my rule of not changing phones more than once every 18 months. I find the Z2 to be too massive for my personal tastes. The ZL is about as large as I am willing to go, maybe a bit more to accommodate the screen.

SimleuqiR

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...patible-with-nexus-and-gpe-devices-right-now/

It's Happening.gif guys!!

It's finally happening. After months of leaks and speculation, the Google Now Launcher (previously known informally at the Google Experience Launcher) has been dropped into the Play Store. This is essentially just an updated stub app that will enable the home screen functionality in the Google search app of most Android devices. However, this isn't a universal release.

Still only "compatible" with Nexus and GPE devices, but now it's officially decoupled and on the store.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
No icon alignment issues like the leaked version had when I first tried it on my Nexus 7 (2013), wife is looking at me funny for speaking to my tablet, but either she'll get over it or the novelty will wear off soon anyway :D

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...patible-with-nexus-and-gpe-devices-right-now/

It's Happening.gif guys!!

Still only "compatible" with Nexus and GPE devices, but now it's officially decoupled and on the store.

You got me excited for a second.

8Eq6YQI.png

Dub117

Just got 4.4.2 on my G2, and wow it is a lot more snappy. The screen dims and brightens a lot more and it flashes the alarm icon every once in a while but those are the only annoying things. Tap on is way faster, you tube is way faster, and even browser speed is improved. Don't know if anyone cares but FYI

I find Android hardware to be wholly unexciting lately. I'm pretty much just interested in what Google and Lenovo do, Lenovo with motorola I mean.

Other than that... I guess Sony has done some interesting things but I feel like the spec war has run dry and now it all new releases just seem....unexciting. The year is ripe for the taking for Apple in terms of their smartwatch which will likely be the real deal and not some shitty rushed product. And also big chahnges with iphone 6 hardware wise. I'll probably go back if the iphone 6 delivers on bigger screen while maintaining a smaller size than most if not all the competition.

I'll let google convince me back with the Nexus 6. But yeah the HTC One2, S5, Z2....meh. I feel like android manufacturers still haven't reached that point where they're able to create that "perfect" product. I use it in quotes because nothing is perfect obviously. I just mean absolute best in terms of size/battery/camera/hardware quality/etc.... seems like every device has a massive tradeoff. I'm just getting tired of it. Not that I don't lublub my nexus 5.

The amount my posts in this thread have dropped off tell my thoughts enough lol.

/random rant.

Groof

The devices that has the absolute best in every single category will never happen. And the single reason for that is that all the companies have their own strengths that they play to, they need to allocate resources there. Something has to suffer unless all OEMs work together to create a super device. And that's like the pipe dream of video gamers wanting every console manufacturer to work together to create a console that can play all types of games.

Toki767

Just got 4.4.2 on my G2, and wow it is a lot more snappy. The screen dims and brightens a lot more and it flashes the alarm icon every once in a while but those are the only annoying things. Tap on is way faster, you tube is way faster, and even browser speed is improved. Don't know if anyone cares but FYI

I need to install it on my G2. I was waiting for someone to put out some debloated ROM but it seems like that probably isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Which company are you with? I haven't gotten it yet on sprint. Or did you root?

The devices that has the absolute best in every single category will never happen. And the single reason for that is that all the companies have their own strengths that they play to, they need to allocate resources there. Something has to suffer unless all OEMs work together to create a super device. And that's like the pipe dream of video gamers wanting every console manufacturer to work together to create a console that can play all types of games.
I know it won't happen but my point is the tradeoffs are always big and not small things. Like size is massive, camera is average, battery life sucks, etc...

Groof

I know it won't happen but my point is the tradeoffs are always big and not small things. Like size is massive, camera is average, battery life sucks, etc...

Yep, but that's because of where we are with the current technologies. If the Z2 for example would be remade exactly the same in 1-2 years it would probably be almost half the size. But at that point, everyone would dismiss it because of "outdated specs." Same would go for any other device.

Yep, but that's because of where we are with the current technologies. If the Z2 for example would be remade exactly the same in 1-2 years it would probably be almost half the size. But at that point, everyone would dismiss it because of "outdated specs." Same would go for any other device.
I don't buy that it's because that's where are. I give Apple props for BY FAR creating the most wellrounded product in terms of all those things I mentioned. Of course there's room for improvement but they're just ahead of the game in terms of focusing on product and making it the best that it can be.

Everyone else just seems....lazy. Like I said though, Sony is getting better, that compact phone was a good step. But they're still all over the map with their lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom