• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dub117

Which company are you with? I haven't gotten it yet on sprint. Or did you root?
Att they just rolled out 4.4 for HTC 1 and g2. I am impressed. I don't know when the other g2s are getting it. It was a surprise for att

Edit: oh yeah lg put out a video on YouTube, side by side speed comparison of 4.2 vs 4.4. Pretty cool.

I don't buy that it's because that's where are. I give Apple props for BY FAR creating the most wellrounded product in terms of all those things I mentioned. Of course there's room for improvement but they're just ahead of the game in terms of focusing on product and making it the best that it can be.

Everyone else just seems....lazy. Like I said though, Sony is getting better, that compact phone was a good step. But they're still all over the map with their lineup.

No way apple have the most wellrounded smartphone....maybe tablet.

I had to use an Iphone 5 with ios 7 temporarly and hated it. Felt a few lag and I hate the size.

But the ipad air is amazing!

Att they just rolled out 4.4 for HTC 1 and g2. I am impressed. I don't know when the other g2s are getting it. It was a surprise for att

I had 4.4 on the HTC One for months now when I loaded the dev version rom. The G2 got in the beginning of the week, yeah it did make everything snappier I thought it was a placebo effect because the G2 is pretty snappy already. Now waiting for the Z2 to get 4.4

kakashi08

What's the best Android Tablet you would recommend that's under 9 inch.
I never had a tablet, first time buying one. I would like it to be 1080p, Mostly it will be for movies and tv shows in bed and reading here and their. I don't want the 10 inch ones, their too big for me.

Edit: Price Range: Under $300

Groof

I don't buy that it's because that's where are. I give Apple props for BY FAR creating the most wellrounded product in terms of all those things I mentioned. Of course there's room for improvement but they're just ahead of the game in terms of focusing on product and making it the best that it can be.

Everyone else just seems....lazy. Like I said though, Sony is getting better, that compact phone was a good step. But they're still all over the map with their lineup.
The reason Apple can do that is because they have a hand in everything that goes into the iPhone and whatnot. They're customising everything by hand for a handful of devices, whereas the Android OEMs are buying 3rd party parts for the most part. Not to mention that the OS is mostly out of their hands.
Apple can pick and choose exact parts for iOS because they know 100% what the current and next version needs. Android OEMs can't afford this, which means they buy stronger hardware which in turn is also bigger. Unless they completely fork AOSP and tailor it that way.

A lot of it can be lazy, yes. But there's also a lot that is out of their hands.

No way apple have the most wellrounded smartphone....maybe tablet.

I had to use an Iphone 5 with ios 7 temporarly and hated it. Felt a few lag and I hate the size.

But the ipad air is amazing!

I had 4.4 on the HTC One for months now when I loaded the dev version rom. The G2 got in the beginning of the week, yeah it did make everything snappier I thought it was a placebo effect because the G2 is pretty snappy already. Now waiting for the Z2 to get 4.4
it's one thing if you don't like iOS. That's a preference thing. I've used a 5S a lot and never experienced any lag, though I'm sure the 4 and 4S probably do. But I mean hardware wise. Apple has premium quality, amazing camera, display always gets high marks, the size is good with room to grow, battery life is good (though not great). They just have an all-round great device. Obviously some stuff is subjective but I feel like no android manufacturer is really stepping up to emulate this. Once again though I'll give Sony props. They've been trying hardest. Almost there with the compact.

The reason Apple can do that is because they have a hand in everything that goes into the iPhone and whatnot. They're customising everything by hand for a handful of devices, whereas the Android OEMs are buying 3rd party parts for the most part. Not to mention that the OS is mostly out of their hands.
Apple can pick and choose exact parts for iOS because they know 100% what the current and next version needs. Android OEMs can't afford this, which means they buy stronger hardware which in turn is also bigger. Unless they completely fork AOSP and tailor it that way.

A lot of it can be lazy, yes. But there's also a lot that is out of their hands.
Meh I'm sure Samsung for example can design a phone however they want from scratch. Ignoring shitty touchwiz they've been close as well but they seem to be following in the bigger is better and smaller is worse trap. I still think it's mostly laziness.

Regardless of how Apple does it though, they do it. That's my overall point. Wish someone else would get on that level :p

I'm using a 5S right now and I kinda get what Pyro is saying. I definitely feel there's a lot less I complain about when using this phone. I had an S3, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Moto X before this and I felt like each of them had something that just made me not want to use the phone anymore.

The Moto X was real close for me but the screen and camera are just so fucking bad. Even the aspect ratio on the camera is retarded.

I'm using a 5S right now and I kinda get what Pyro is saying. I definitely feel there's a lot less I complain about when using this phone. I had an S3, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Moto X before this and I felt like each of them had something that just made me not want to use the phone anymore.

The Moto X was real close for me but the screen and camera are just so fucking bad. Even the aspect ratio on the camera is retarded.
Yeah and that goes to what I'm saying. There's so little to complain about when it comes to iphones (once again barring OS preferences), and it's only going to get better. Whereas everyone else seems to be floundering deciding what they should tradeoff next be it specs or size or camera or whatever. There's a few close ones. I mentioned the sony compact one. The Moto X is close. But again both are plagued with some issues.

Well the 5S is good. It actually takes better picture 80 percent of the time than the Z1.

I'm used to the ios it's just that I like ios better on the the ipad air than the phone... Just too small.

But if the the iPhone get a 5 inch screen, that might change everything...

popeutlal

On Verizon, is there a way to keep the unlimited data plan AND get a phone at a discounted price?

I have:
1 line with unlimited data, Thunderbolt, upgrade available
1 dumb phone with an upgrade available
1 dumb phone with no upgrade available

Seriously though, if Sony released a successor to the ZL with the same spec as the Z2 but dumped the waterproof stuff to make it much smaller I would definitely break my rule of not changing phones more than once every 18 months. I find the Z2 to be too massive for my personal tastes. The ZL is about as large as I am willing to go, maybe a bit more to accommodate the screen.

I know exactly what you're saying...
Right now the majority haven't felt the Z1/Z2 in their hands, they don't know have massive it is...it's almost galaxy note territory if you have a case on it.

LG g2 got the big screen phone size right.

Toki767

On Verizon, is there a way to keep the unlimited data plan AND get a phone at a discounted price?

I have:

Moto X is really your only choice. It's a good choice too.

ILoveBish

I have:

Yes, use upgrade on dumb line, then when you get the phone, activate it, then switch back the dumbphone. Then put the sim from unlimited line into the new one.

Blackhead

Redarse

Yeah and that goes to what I'm saying. There's so little to complain about when it comes to iphones (once again barring OS preferences), and it's only going to get better. Whereas everyone else seems to be floundering deciding what they should tradeoff next be it specs or size or camera or whatever. There's a few close ones. I mentioned the sony compact one. The Moto X is close. But again both are plagued with some issues.

I'm honestly confused as to how you came to this opinion. Ignoring OS issues, no iPhone has wireless charging, waterproof/dust proof, high screen sensitivity (either heightened touch sensors to recognize gloves etc or digitizer to recognize stylus pens), no 'megapixel innovator's (like Nokia or HTC). Each iPhone model has had obvious hardware problems of various stripes e.g 'hold it the right way' iPhone 4 or scratched edges iPhone 5. Nokia and Samsung make much more durable smartphones than iPhones. LG, Motorola and Samsung make many smartphones with better battery life. And I haven't even talked about the goddam tiny iPhone screens yet *argh*

I could go on and on. The grass is always greener on the other side.

terrier

Little to complain? OS preferences apart there are things to complain about iphones: price, non expandable memory, unable to use standard usb for charging, no notification light, limited screen size (maybe they will fix that, but not right now), no waterproof....

Sure, android devices have their own issues too, as every device, the same for windows phone (which, btw, are improving allowing for more flexibility like sd slot). I find really hard to see iphone being better overall than android flagships. It is maybe better here or there but that's it.
And that not cosidering ios or android's OS ups & downs.

And obviously a bigger screen (which will also need more battery and more dpi so better cpu/gpu needed ) will make android & wp users used to +4'' screens consider iphone, so that may attract more customers. But i am curious how that will affect apple's strategy, so far a single phone was presented each year, except with 5C / 5S and their potential buyers have gone after the flagship, so if they sell 2 or 3 flagships with different screen sizes let's see how they perform sales wise.

Just wait until you see the next compact. It looks unbelievable on paper. In all honesty though, the current compact is pretty fucking awesome. Best in class battery life, best in class camera, best in class screen, the size is manageable for one-handed use, best in class processor. I really don't see what issues you have with it?

The Z2 launches with 4.4.2 on board!

I know exactly what you're saying...
Right now the majority haven't felt the Z1/Z2 in their hands, they don't know have massive it is...it's almost galaxy note territory if you have a case on it.

LG g2 got the big screen phone size right.

Yeah, I'm not really bothered by the waterproof stuff, so my personal preference is for a smaller phone. Take a look at the size sacrifice that Samsung had to make for the GS5 to have a lesser waterproofed device. The GS5 and Z2 are almost the same size but the Z1 was significantly larger than the GS4. If I could get a Z2L with the same size envelope as the original Z that would be pretty awesome. I would definitely go out of my way to import it.

That's not the point. There's no reason why the Galaxy Nexus shouldn't be on the compatibility list.

Gnex is shit bro. Get a Nexus 5. Anyway, just sideload it. I did it and it works on the ZL and SP.

In other news. I am reliably informed that Samsung are shopping around for partners for the next generation Exynos line up. My source at Sony said they have been approached as well as a number of other players. So far there are no takers. I am told that Samsung have a shit load of spare capacity coming up because one of their major clients, Apple, I'm guessing, are jumping ship for their next generation processor. It means Samsung must either move their own flagship phones to their own processors (which are uncompetitive against Snapdragon) or find other suckers who will go for them.

From 2015 we could see Samsung show off an almost completely vertically integrated phone if this is true. The make plastics, displays, processors, RAM, flash and camera sensors. The pressure for them to be profitable will be greater than ever if it does happen because being one's own supplier leaves a lot of room for inefficiencies to grow and it means they can't bear down on supplier costs like they currently do.

MarkusRJR

Edit: Been informed I shouldn't tease things without spoiling the goods entirely. Sorry, I didn't know it was a faux pas. If a mod wants they could delete my posts.

T-Mobile is getting a new mid-range Galaxy from LG.

qrAn1jA.png

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What's the best Android Tablet you would recommend that's under 9 inch.
I never had a tablet, first time buying one. I would like it to be 1080p, Mostly it will be for movies and tv shows in bed and reading here and their. I don't want the 10 inch ones, their too big for me.

Edit: Price Range: Under $300

Nexus 7 2013 model. Except no substitutes.

Styles

I hope Sony has improved the mic quality on the Z2. So far the only companies that have bothered to fix the quality of their mic are Apple and Nokia. I really want to get the Z2, but if the mic turns out to be shit then I'll have to look else where. I don't want to have to purchase an external mic add-on for my phone because Sony was too incompetent to implement it properly like other companies. Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. >_>

Talon

Just wait until you see the next compact. It looks unbelievable on paper. In all honesty though, the current compact is pretty fucking awesome. Best in class battery life, best in class camera, best in class screen, the size is manageable for one-handed use, best in class processor. I really don't see what issues you have with it?
Whoa, partner. Keep it in your pants.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Stefan™;102480365 said:
I hope Sony has improved the mic quality on the Z2. So far the only companies that have bothered to fix the quality of their mic are Apple and Nokia. I really want to get the Z2, but if the mic turns out to be shit then I'll have to look else where. I don't want to have to purchase an external mic add-on for my phone because Sony was too incompetent to implement it properly like other companies. Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. >_>

As someone who owned a ZL with a shitty mic and earpiece, I wholeheartedly agree

Stefan™;102480365 said:

I was ready to get the Z2...but bad mic is a show stopper. Will need to see video reviews now.

samven582

What are the specs of the xperia z2 compact?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Less talk about hardware, more about software. Hardware has been dead since Nexus 4.

The Z2 launches with 4.4.2 on board!

Yeah, I'm not really bothered by the waterproof stuff, so my personal preference is for a smaller phone. Take a look at the size sacrifice that Samsung had to make for the GS5 to have a lesser waterproofed device. The GS5 and Z2 are almost the same size but the Z1 was significantly larger than the GS4. If I could get a Z2L with the same size envelope as the original Z that would be pretty awesome. I would definitely go out of my way to import it.

Gnex is shit bro. Get a Nexus 5. Anyway, just sideload it. I did it and it works on the ZL and SP.
I still think Sony's camera software is very questionable. It should be producing better results. I also think glass backs are a thing of the past. Unless it's sapphire back there it's just not worth it. Sony does seem to be sticking to that glass thing. Not sure why.

And just a minor complaint but a slightly bigger screen to 4.5 would be nice. But that's a minor thing. Other than that it's a great phone. IMO they should scrap everything and focus on perfecting that shit. And then when they get that down release a bigger version of the same product for the big screen lovers. Similar to what apple is doing. Focused on one iphone and now it seems they're ready to expand the lineup into significantly different sizes.

But the compact is good. Easily the best non-nexus android phone. Also always a problem with Sony is availability. Also I think waterproof stuff is a good direction to go in but not until there is a more elegant solution than flaps on your ports and shit lol. I hate that.

I still think Sony's camera software is very questionable. It should be producing better results. I also think glass backs are a thing of the past. Unless it's sapphire back there it's just not worth it. Sony does seem to be sticking to that glass thing. Not sure why.

And just a minor complaint but a slightly bigger screen to 4.5 would be nice. But that's a minor thing. Other than that it's a great phone. IMO they should scrap everything and focus on perfecting that shit. And then when they get that down release a bigger version of the same product for the big screen lovers. Similar to what apple is doing. Focused on one iphone and now it seems they're ready to expand the lineup into significantly different sizes.

But the compact is good. Easily the best non-nexus android phone. Also always a problem with Sony is availability. Also I think waterproof stuff is a good direction to go in but not until there is a more elegant solution than flaps on your ports and shit lol. I hate that.

From the looks of it, the availability problem might be gone with the Z2, mainly because it may go to both AT&T and Verizon.

Little to complain? OS preferences apart there are things to complain about iphones: price, non expandable memory, unable to use standard usb for charging, no notification light, limited screen size (maybe they will fix that, but not right now), no waterproof....

Sure, android devices have their own issues too, as every device, the same for windows phone (which, btw, are improving allowing for more flexibility like sd slot). I find really hard to see iphone being better overall than android flagships. It is maybe better here or there but that's it.
And that not cosidering ios or android's OS ups & downs.

To me, it doesn’t matter if iPhones increase screen size, have vastly improved specs or offer key features like expendable memory etc. Sure, they are shortcomings, but not the main reason which repels me away from them (or Windows Phone for that matter). It’s a computing device first and foremost, so at the very core of this evaluation issue, lies the important consideration of “user control and ownership rights” as far as I’m concerned. I simply do not accept this locked down, restrictive type of vending machine OS built around the concept of wrangling control away from users. I do not want to support any kind of iron grip approach on the OS level that diminishes user control and ownership rights of a computing device. Sure, curation may help with malwares to an extent (for those that don’t know any better), but if this security excuse has to come at my expense as a user, then it’s not a price I’m willing to pay.

So that leaves Android as the only logical choice at the end of the day, not because I'm a fan Google (don’t give a shit whether it’s Google, MS, Sony, Apple, Samsung or any other company period) but rather, because it is the “lesser of evils” option which does not deviate much from the kind freedom and flexibility we enjoy on our PCs today. Why is this important? Well, it’s because of the way things are moving, with increasing popularity of smartphones and tablets, and decline of PCs. The way I see it, we are in some form of transitional phase right now; a battleground in computing evolution so to speak, between competing mobile and desktop paradigms. What’s the outcome tomorrow, will depend on our collective choices today, as this imperceptible form of slow process of natural selection comes into play, where supply invariably moves towards demand, resulting in popular prevalent forms and cost prohibitive niches.

To me, the question is not so much about whether we will all be adopting powerful mobile devices tomorrow which plugs into monitors and keyboards to effectively act as desktops, but rather one of “spillover effects” out of the convergence battle between the two opposing paradigms. Do we want to see a future where mobile forms gradually inherit the important characteristics of PCs like freedom, power and flexibility or do we want a future where desktop models start to shift towards limitations of mobile platforms like the walled garden cockamamie shit MS tried to pull in Windows 8?

So out of the 3 major mobile platforms, it’s a no brainer for me as far as knowing which I prefer to support. Only android passes the ‘fit for purpose test’ of a computing device. We’ve got an accessible file management system, we can get root access easily if we want (without which, I don’t consider actually owning or controlling a device) and for those that don’t need root, there’s an acceptable compromise in the form of ability to sideload. Funny how it came to be known as side-loading (presumably due to Apple dictating initial mindshare?), when this is exactly the sort of freedom we enjoy on our PCs today, to buy, run and install whatever we like, from anywhere, without corporations being entitled to a cut or being able to dictate shit. The ability to sideload also means there isn’t much of a problem deploying in house enterprise apps and developers also have a readymade exit strategy which does not prohibit or handicap them from participating in the platform in any way, be it due to disagreement of terms or mandates, or whatever reason. The ability to sideload is why we have nice things like humble mobile bundle on android, but not on iOS or Windows Phone.

So yeah, there’s more to it than just things like screen quality and size, performance, battery, expandable memory, looks and design etc. as far as I’m concerned. I just fucking hate this walled garden shit they’re peddling. I don’t want to support this shit on a computing device. Walled gardens have as much appeal to me as fucking DRM at the end of the day. No fucking thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom