• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone miss the memo on the S5..

Majority are bashing the S5 cause of the ridiculous look of the phone and sub par up upgrade and you were silence...

A few bash the name of the HTC and you hail Samsung superior.....

Seriously???
What was I supposed to say about the S5? I'm a Note man. I only care if the Note 4 will be good or not.

WRT to the S5, it looks like a Galaxy S series device. Anyone who was expecting a sudden dramatic change in their successful formula was tilting at windmills.

RoKKeR

http://www.androidcentral.com/id-like-to-get-the-new-one?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=dlvrit

Chad walked into the AT&T store. He'd never felt comfortable in it, even after the most recent remodel with its lounge area full of curved couches and big-screen TVs. The walls of phones and accessories and tablets were overwhelming, and half the time it seemed like any employee he talked to was utterly clueless. The other half were pushing technical jargon he didn't understand. One of his coworkers had mentioned having a fairly similar experience at a Sprint store, though it apparently was awash in yellow tones, whereas this AT&T location was drenched in blues and oranges.

A female store employee, wearing khaki pants, a blue shirt emblazoned with the AT&T logo, and a lanyard with her name badge on it, walked up to Chad, smiling. "Hi, welcome to AT&T. I'm Lisa. Is there anything I can help you with today?" She held her arms out to the sides just a bit, as if she were ready to physically embrace him.

Chad focused his attention on her, blocking out the colorful cacophony of the rest of the store. "Yes, uh, I'd like to buy the new one."

Lisa quickly picked up on his confusion, "The new what?"

Chad repeated himself, "The new one. I'd like to get one."

"Do you mean the new HTC One?" Lisa prompted.

"Is that the new one?" Chad scratched his head.

Lisa forced a smile, "Are you asking about the HTC One?"

"I… I don't know one thing about this stuff. My one friend said I should get the new one."

Lisa pointed a hand down at a display next to her, "Well, sir, this is the all-new HTC One."

Chad looked down at the phone, "That's the one?"

"It is."

"I'm not sure that's the one."

Lisa chuckled, "Trust me, this is the new One."

Chad sighed, "I think he was talking about a different one. I don't know… I'm not good at these things."

"Perhaps he was talking about the old One?" Lisa offered.

Chad thought for a moment, "Maybe that's the one."

She took a step back and pointed at another phone, "Well, this is the old HTC One. It's only one year old."

Chad looked back and forth between the two phones, and then pointed at the newer generation HTC One, "I thought this was the one."

"That one is the new One," Lisa said. "This one is the old One."

Chad's mouth hung slightly open, "Which one's the old one?"

"This is the old One," Lisa gestured to the phone at her side, and then to the one by Chad, "That's the new One."

"Uhm…" Chad stared at the phone beside him, and then stepped next to Lisa to examine the other phone. He moved back to the newer phone, "This is the new one?"

"That one is the new One."

"This one looks the same as the other one," Chad said.

Lisa nodded, "The new One and the old One do have similar designs, but there are differences."

He furrowed his brow as he looked at the phone in front of him, "Show me one."

Moving to his side, Lisa grabbed the phone off the display, "Well, for one," she turned the phone over, "The rear camera on the new HTC One is actually two."

Chad sighed loudly, "Two?!"

I chuckled.

GatorBait

Would like to finally load up my N5 with some custom icons, but I want to keep the Google Now left-hand screen and always-on voice recognition. Are there custom launchers that still allow that? If so, which one is the best?

Also, would be the best launcher for a tablet? (I heard that previously Nova is not tablet optimized, whereas Apex is. Is this still true?)

bob page

I got my Glass today and wasn't really digging it at first, but once I took it out into the world it started to get really awesome. GPS nav with this thing is pretty mindblowing and video chat via Hangouts has been awesome as well. I'm going to return it in a few weeks but I definitely plan on picking up the retail product when it comes out.

HTC gonna HTC.

People really need to quit HTC, it's purely Stockholm Syndrome that keeps people with HTC at this point. Sony and Samsung are both superior.

I can't think of one thing Samsung does better than my HTC One. The Galaxy Line is a poor man's One. I loved seeing the look on my brother's face after he used my One for the first time, a few weeks after he ordered his S4. Pure regret.

vdlow

I can't think of one thing Samsung does better than my HTC One.

Marketing and SD card support. lol

Now, seriously, I've never seen an One outside of the Internet (HTC left Brazil a couple of years ago), but in general I prefer AMOLED screens over LCD, and removable storage is a must have since I have ~20GB of music and I can't rely to my 3G plan to use Play Music, Rdio or whatever. And removable battery is also pretty nice, I ordered a bigger (in mAh, not in physical size) battery for my S4. I'm happy with the results I get with the standard battery but I wanted a little extra juice, so it's nice to be able to go out and buy a new battery and change it at will.

So yes, there are things that Samsung does and HTC doesn't that can be really useful to some users. If they make one better than the other is really relative.

I got my Glass today and wasn't really digging it at first, but once I took it out into the world it started to get really awesome. GPS nav with this thing is pretty mindblowing and video chat via Hangouts has been awesome as well. I'm going to return it in a few weeks but I definitely plan on picking up the retail product when it comes out.

I can't think of one thing Samsung does better than my HTC One. The Galaxy Line is a poor man's One. I loved seeing the look on my brother's face after he used my One for the first time, a few weeks after he ordered his S4. Pure regret.
leave stores in the hands of consumers.

Google Play Music in Canada

I finally got this to work, I tried all sorts of vpns and proxy things and with a lot of help from a friend we finally found something that works:

Tunnel Bear

I had to use an account that didn't already have a Google wallet set up for Canada. I just set my address as the US and used my Canadian credit card on wallet.Google.com, then went to music.Google.com and everything just worked.

So happy. Haha.

Holy shit.

Galaxy S5 Euro prices

samsung_galaxy_s5_listed_amazon_spain.jpg

The Galaxy S5 is listed for pre-order on Clove UK, and for registration for notification on Amazon Spain. The Clove UK price for the Galaxy S5 is GBP 550 (approximately Rs. 56,900), though the retailer has specified the price could change by launch. This is the price for the 16GB variant, and available in White, Blue, Black and Golden.

On Amazon Spain, the Samsung Galaxy S5 has been given a price tag of EUR 729 (Rs. 62,200 approximately), however, users will only be able to register for further notification, and not place an order yet. The price given is for the 16GB built-in storage variant, and available in all four-colour variants.

At current exchange rate for the USD that's $921.69 and $1,007.70. I know Euro prices are usually higher than US and that this will be the regular retail price....but still. With no hype and lot's of "meh" reactions so far, man that price is ughhh.

My old Nexus S is really acting like a bitch the last day or two. Takes ages to load anything. Wont install apps when I want it to and the touch screen is 05/50 when I need to answer a call.

Its like it saw the email that my Moto G has shipped and has just given up.

Joke? The Z2 is more of an incremental upgrade than the S5. 3gb RAM? Whoopdy fuckin doo. I can't even tell the Z1 and Z2 apart.

Yes the Z2 is not a huge upgrade for people who got the Z1 like me. especially when all the Z2 is doing is fix things that shouldn't have been there to begin with. A simple thing like a decent screen - Samsung, LG and Htc all had superior screen for the pass years already, all Sony is doing is playing catch up. Front speaker is HTC forte, so Sony just copied that, which is a good thing cause the sound out put of the Z1 is one of the worst compare to other phones.

The S4 didn't have that much issues compared to the Z/Z1. If the S4 had all the issue of the Z/Z1 the Upgrade to the S5 would look significant.

longdi

Banned
Z2 imo makes a lot Z1 wrongs , right. small things but shows that Sony is listening to users.
Better viewing angles.
Less bezel
Lighter
Bigger screen, tone down dynamic contrast
More battery
More ram
replaced Z1 speaker grills that can be easily dent with stereo speakers on the front

S5 makes S4 looks better imo. S4 was smaller and sleeker. Nothing about the S5 screams improvement. I also wonder did Samsung stop their inhouse Exynos development?

MarkusRJR

My friend's old android phone is super slow and wants me to help. It's running android 4.1 (there's no updates beyond that) so it has no TRIM support. Therefore I'm pretty sure a factory reset should help her issues.

My question is mainly this: Are there any good back up apps that I can use to store her texts, contacts, calendar, etc so I can then transfer them back after I factory reset it?

My friend's old android phone is super slow and wants me to help. It's running android 4.1 (there's no updates beyond that) so it has no TRIM support. Therefore I'm pretty sure a factory reset should help her issues.

My question is mainly this: Are there any good back up apps that I can use to store her texts, contacts, calendar, etc so I can then transfer them back after I factory reset it?

contacts and calendar shouldn't need backing up if she has a Google Account logged in and has Sync on. she can verify they are already synced by checking her Google Contacts and Calendar on a PC when logged into Google.

texts can be backed up by a variety of apps.

S5 makes S4 looks better imo. S4 was smaller and sleeker. Nothing about the S5 screams improvement. I also wonder did Samsung stop their inhouse Exynos development?

big.LITTLE might be a dead end after all. Samsung had a lot of trouble making it work properly and the battery life isn't anywhere near what was promised. They may be relying on Qualcomm for quite some time even if they are still developing Exynos, since a new phone must be released every year and it can't wait for them to get Exynos back in order.

DonMigs85

There's a free app called Lagfix on the Play Store that does FSTRIM, just make sure at least 20% of the storage is free before running it for best results.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You guys see the demo of Project Ara? Really exciting stuff. Thing has the potential to change the entire mobile industry- Apple should start worrying.
LOL no. No one wants to deal with this bullshit.

NotBacon

Contract is up this fall and it's gonna be awesome. Downside is that I'm on Verizon. Still gonna be a toss up between the new HTC one and Moto X2. I highly doubt the new Sonys will be on Verizon :/

Wow.. Brushed gun metal color!!!
Lol and an sd card slot.. That came out of nowhere..

Going to be a hard decision between this or the Z2

Advantage of the HTC will be it's size and the developer support.. The Z1 developer support sucks cause of the bootloader lock issue. The HTC One bootloader was unlockable day one with plenty of developer support, it actually got kitkat pretty early too.

Groof

"I can't be biased toward HTC, cuz I'm a review guy"

What the fuuuuuccckkk did I just watch. His parent/relative that works at HTC is gonna get it good, what with him showing his name and super secret Kik chats.

Also he did crank that soulja boy.

Any nexus 7 (2013) users here experience a significant decrease in battery life the past week? I haven't installed any new apps in a while yet all of a sudden it can barely even last a day idling. I lost 46% battery overnight, and nothing odd appears looking at wakelocks.

I'm absolutely boggled as to what's causing this. I'm running a stock rom.

DonMigs85

Any nexus 7 (2013) users here experience a significant decrease in battery life the past week? I haven't installed any new apps in a while yet all of a sudden it can barely even last a day idling. I lost 46% battery overnight, and nothing odd appears looking at wakelocks.

I'm absolutely boggled as to what's causing this. I'm running a stock rom.

Try signing out of Google+, then reboot and sign back in. I had the same issue a few weeks ago and that SEEMED to fix it for me. Make sure all apps are up to date as well, and maybe adjust the wifi advanced settings.

Furyous

Full M8 leak. This kid, my god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivOspWGlMdk

On screen buttons but keep the HTC logo? WHY HTC WHY

HTC just won over another customer. I want this in a 32 GB GPE variant.

It's interesting to note the two different strategies. Samsung uses the same design three years in a row whereas HTC does it twice but adds an SD Card slot. At least Samsung has legit competition this year. Hopefully someone forces Samsung to innovate or compete instead of advertising their way to record profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom