• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumor, LG making Nexus 6 y Smartwatch

According to business sources of Gizmodo Germany, who spoke at MWC last week, Google has selected LG for the third year in a row to create the next Nexus smartphone. Previous rumors indicated that the Nexus program was actually coming to a close in 2015, and that Lenovo, the new owners of Motorola, would be the last company to create a Nexus phone for Google.

Reportedly called the Nexus 6, the device will be molded after the LG G3, which is to supposedly launch in either May or June of this year. No other details are currently known.

Not only was LG chosen to create a smartphone, but Gizmodo also reports that the Korean manufacturer is set to make a Nexus smartwatch. Last month, another report indicated that Google was to announce a smartwatch platform in March of this year, with the actual hardware to be unveiled at this year’s Google I/O in June.

Given that it’s already early March, we are only months away from seeing what Google has in store for us in 2014. If it’s true, and Google has chosen LG once again to create a Nexus smartphone, would you be disappointed? Happy? The past two Nexus releases from LG have been two of our favorite Android phones ever made, so we are leaning towards the “happy” side of things.

There’s nothing like a good hypebeast.

Why can't someone else get a turn? LG better put in a huge battery if true.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping for HTC or Sony, but I guess LG is the cheapest manufacturer for Google.

That said please expandable storage. Pls.

Groof

LG has done a really good job so far, so I don't see why they making the next Nexus as well would be a bad thing. Sure, it would be nice with some variation, but I certainly wouldn't mind.

Zeppu

My past two phones have been Nexii and honestly, I can't complain of LG's builds. However I am finding the Nexus 5 slightly on the large side. I convinced one of my friends to get the Moto X since they've finally released it in Europe and now I have my eyes set on the Moto X2. That size is fantastic. I think 4.7" screens are the sweet spot for me.

In other news. I am reliably informed that Samsung are shopping around for partners for the next generation Exynos line up. My source at Sony said they have been approached as well as a number of other players. So far there are no takers. I am told that Samsung have a shit load of spare capacity coming up because one of their major clients, Apple, I'm guessing, are jumping ship for their next generation processor. It means Samsung must either move their own flagship phones to their own processors (which are uncompetitive against Snapdragon) or find other suckers who will go for them.

From 2015 we could see Samsung show off an almost completely vertically integrated phone if this is true. The make plastics, displays, processors, RAM, flash and camera sensors. The pressure for them to be profitable will be greater than ever if it does happen because being one's own supplier leaves a lot of room for inefficiencies to grow and it means they can't bear down on supplier costs like they currently do.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...jg?docId=2659e3f4-8181-46e8-98f6-53753a4266e5

It's happening guys!

iavi

All I want out of the Nexus 6 is for it to be just a bit thinner, and to have a worth while camera for once.

Going from a Galaxy Nexus to an N5, the camera jump was like whoa, but then I saw the image pumped out of the 5as and S4--this one specifically, and I was like gotdayum. My next phone after the N5 is going to need to be incredible, not just serviceable, but gotdayum incredible in both the battery dept and camera dept. No compromise. And if it means leaving the Nexus line, so be it. I've already succumbed to lower-tier screens when giving up oled. I've got to fill in the gap somehow.

Oh, I don't think you can. Google Music will usually select between a compilation of Album Art images for that artist, but I noticed that it'll either use their own artist image or sometimes will use mine. But it's not consistent. The artist banner up top when you're listening to a playlist is even worse, though.

Yeah, doesnt seem like you can.

Im super OCD about dumb shit like that, so I just had to delete all those artists. haha

MarkusRJR

I have a friend who's moving over from a dumb phone. His iPod Touch finally broke (honestly surprised it lasted that long since it's a first gen model) and decided to take the jump into the world of smartphones, mostly due to me mentioning there being good cheap smartphones that can accomplish what he wants. So I gave him a bunch of options around the 150-300 dollar range and he came up with the Alcatel One Touch Idol X and the Lumia 625. I nudged him towards the Nexus 5 and Moto G but he really wants a ton of storage for music and the Nexus 5 is too expensive.

Which one should I recommend to him, the Lumia 625 or the Alcatel Idol X? The latter has way better specs (even if it probably isn't that good for games) and is running android, but at the same time the brand isn't something I'd trust. I have the Lumia 625 and enjoy it (which is probably why he decided it might be good), but the lack of apps might be killer.

I have a friend who's moving over from a dumb phone. His iPod Touch finally broke (honestly surprised it lasted that long since it's a first gen model) and decided to take the jump into the world of smartphones, mostly due to me mentioning there being good cheap smartphones that can accomplish what he wants. So I gave him a bunch of options around the 150-300 dollar range and he came up with the Alcatel One Touch Idol X and the Lumia 625. I nudged him towards the Nexus 5 and Moto G but he really wants a ton of storage for music and the Nexus 5 is too expensive.

Which one should I recommend to him, the Lumia 625 or the Alcatel Idol X? The latter has way better specs (even if it probably isn't that good for games) and is running android, but at the same time the brand isn't something I'd trust. I have the Lumia 625 and enjoy it (which is probably why he decided it might be good), but the lack of apps might be killer.

What carrier? Galaxy S2 possibly. You can get one of those for pretty cheap.

MarkusRJR

What carrier? Galaxy S2 possibly. You can get one of those for pretty cheap.
Virgin Mobile Canada but he's purchasing outright from whichever carrier. After talking to him on Skype he's really leaning towards the Alcatel Idol X since he won't have to void his warranty by unlocking and he'll have his carrier support since it's from them. We've been reading a bunch of reviews and it seems the only real knocks against it are the gaming performance (uses a super outdated GPU), lack of updates, and iffy battery life. What does AndroidGAF think?

EDIT: He ended up ordering the Idol X. Oh well, hopefully he likes it.

I have an LG G2 and I hate the default email client on this phone.

What is the best email app for [Gmail +Yahoo + Hotmail] in one? Yes, I actively use all three for work, personal and other services.

yogloo

Is it normal that I sometimes get an ad popup on neogaf ?

qqbkrzx8.png

It says: A girl wants to chat with you. Press ok to start the chat now

Is my phone infected ?

Have you considered some girl really wants to chat with you?

terrier

my wife's optimus g is acting weirdly lately when making/answering phonecalls. It defaults to phone speaker which is a pain in the ass. I saw in another forum this is happening to several people including users from other smartphones, like xperias.Anyone else affected here?

catmincer

my wife's optimus g is acting weirdly lately when making/answering phonecalls. It defaults to phone speaker which is a pain in the ass. I saw in another forum this is happening to several people including users from other smartphones, like xperias.Anyone else affected here?

Do a factory reset. Fixed it on my HTC One.

Nicktendo86

qqbkrzx8.png

Is my phone infected ?

I got something similar yesterday as well.

ZOMG- that is interesing news and congrats on calling it. I say good, Samsung need to take a kicking and their phones havig to use shity exynos instead of snapdragon makes them less appealing to me, I wish more people would care but hey ho.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

qqbkrzx8.png

Is my phone infected ?
There is a thread about it. Apparently it is happening across android and iOS on multiple websites, people also get redirects to the play store. Consensus is that it is a rogue ad network.

Doesn't work on ART, looks like a straight iOS port, no Play Games support. Nope.
I was wrong. The description on the Play Store didn't show Play Games support (it does now) but once you open the game and sign it, the option to enable it is in the settings. 53 achievements.

Damn this game is too addicting.

Husker86

I was wrong. The description on the Play Store didn't show Play Games support (it does now) but once you open the game and sign it, the option to enable it is in the settings. 53 achievements.

Damn this game is too addicting.

Just an FYI, Google doesn't add the Play Games badges to an app's page on the Play Store until enough people (who knows the number) sign in and use it. Going just by badges isn't a for sure thing for brand new apps.

It doesn't support ART, which isn't an official feature, boo freaking hoo.

I'll try it out later today!

I got something similar yesterday as well.

ZOMG- that is interesing news and congrats on calling it. I say good, Samsung need to take a kicking and their phones havig to use shity exynos instead of snapdragon makes them less appealing to me, I wish more people would care but hey ho.

Samsung bet on the wrong horse with ARM Cortex-A15 and big.LITTLE.

People enjoy shitting on them here but the only company which has a remote chance of taking Qualcomm on now is Nvidia who are working on their own custom implementation of the ARM instruction set, they have their own custom mobile GPU solution, and they are working on an integrated baseband/radio solution as well. Assuming they can ever put the pieces together on a shipping SoC and deliver it on time, they will have a real Snapdragon competitor.

Cipherr

Samsung bet on the wrong horse with ARM Cortex-A15 and big.LITTLE.

People enjoy shitting on them here but the only company which has a remote chance of taking Qualcomm on now is Nvidia who are working on their own custom implementation of the ARM instruction set, they have their own custom mobile GPU solution, and they are working on an integrated baseband/radio solution as well. Assuming they can ever put the pieces together on a shipping SoC and deliver it on time, they will have a real Snapdragon competitor.

Im far to impressed with Nvidias history to ever fully count them out. But man, they have dogged it so far. Its actually impressed me how bad they have been. I expected them to be knee deep in the game by now.

I hope you are right and that they pull it together. Samsung looks ridiculous right now.

Just an FYI, Google doesn't add the Play Games badges to an app's page on the Play Store until enough people (who knows the number) sign in and use it. Going just by badges isn't a for sure thing for brand new apps.

It doesn't support ART, which isn't an official feature, boo freaking hoo.

I'll try it out later today!

I saw that in some reviews too "Why no ART support!" Im like..... ART isn't even officially released yet. Its nice but jesus, can you really shit on a dev/game for not supporting an unofficial RT? The tech community is fucking ruthless.

gcubed

Im far to impressed with Nvidias history to ever fully count them out. But man, they have dogged it so far. Its actually impressed me how bad they have been. I expected them to be knee deep in the game by now.

I hope you are right and that they pull it together. Samsung looks ridiculous right now.

I saw that in some reviews too "Why no ART support!" Im like..... ART isn't even officially released yet. Its nice but jesus, can you really shit on a dev/game for not supporting an unofficial RT? The tech community is fucking ruthless.

Meh. The game is a push button port of the iOS version. Shit like that should be called out (and it is). The port job is probably also the reason why it can't support a runtime that millions of other apps and games had no problem supporting day 1, official or not.

Cipherr

Meh. The game is a push button port of the iOS version. Shit like that should be called out (and it is). The port job is probably also the reason why it can't support a runtime that millions of other apps and games had no problem supporting day 1, official or not.

I would agree with you IF the program had issues like sluggish performance or crashes or other things actually reminiscent of an actual bad 'port job'. However what I see here is a game that actually performs well, is stable, does what its supposed to do and has GPlay integration as it should.

It doesn't adopt HOLO, but I have never seen that as a requirement but more of something a developer should do if their app sucks. Its not a requirement. The app runs fine, its feature complete and has Games integration, I don't see the gripes about ART as fair at all.

ART as a whole is not something that developers should have to 'tune' their applications for at all. In fact, if it exits its beta status and requires developers to modify all their apps I would classify it as a failure. Google needs to build their runtime to be backwards compatible, not put the burden on everyone else, especially since ART in its current state isn't even official and requires a develop option to be toggled followed by the longest reboot in the history of smartphones.

Im the first to crap on a developer for a lazy effort, I'm just not seeing it here. Looks straight up unfair to me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's a shit job. ART isn't this incredibly difficult implementation. It's dead simple and something nearly every app supported out of the box. The iOS design just screams lazy, least amount of effort port job. I don't care it's not holo but I do care that the app is a straight iOS port.

Cipherr

It's dead simple and something nearly every app supported out of the box.

You have this backwards. Nobody supported ART out of the box, but rather ART supported most apps out of the box, as it should be. It doesn't support them all because its an unofficial feature yet to be fully launched tucked away under developer options where 99% of users are unlikely to even be aware of its existence.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You have this backwards. Nobody supported ART out of the box, but rather ART supported most apps out of the box, as it should be. It doesn't support them all because its an unofficial feature yet to be fully launched tucked away under developer options where 99% of users are unlikely to even be aware of its existence.

Then I await a 4.4.3 update since .2 fixed WhatsApp.

HawkeyeIC

This seems correct. Google is basically Beta testing ART, which will hopefully make for a much smoother rollout when it becomes official.

Question about Google Play Books: I want to buy some manga/graphic novels for my GSIII, but when I tried out the preview, most of the time the display is set to have two pages on screen and the only way to read it is by constantly zooming in and out. I've been buying comic books over the past few months and they display fine. Is there an option for it to display only one page at a time?

jokkir

Groof

The Nexus 4 camera is so broken and can't believe Google hasn't fixed it yet. Any app using the camera has the chance to crash and restart the entire phone and that includes the stock camera app, Snapchat, etc.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/general/nexus-4-camera-issues-reboots-4-3-4-4-2-t2568962

There's the issue on xda and is still happening now. My phone crashed 3 times the past 30 minutes trying to take a picture of something and it's getting frustrating

Whoa this is insane. Never happened to me from what I can remember, but that sounds like a pretty big deal.

Cipherr

The Nexus 4 camera is so broken and can't believe Google hasn't fixed it yet. Any app using the camera has the chance to crash and restart the entire phone and that includes the stock camera app, Snapchat, etc.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/general/nexus-4-camera-issues-reboots-4-3-4-4-2-t2568962

There's the issue on xda and is still happening now. My phone crashed 3 times the past 30 minutes trying to take a picture of something and it's getting frustrating

That's unexcusable. Its apparently infinitely reproducible too, and widespread.

I think I had a few crashes using the camera on my Nexus 4, but overall worked fine.

zbeeb

I get this a lot, but only with snapchat. It restarts my phone probably 1/10 times I use it.

nick nacc

Banned
Does google refresh the Nexus yearly? Should I wait for the nexus 6? Was thinking about getting the 5 pretty soon. If they get a better camera and battery for the 6 I would be kicking myself for not waiting.

gcubed

Does google refresh the Nexus yearly? Should I wait for the nexus 6? Was thinking about getting the 5 pretty soon. If they get a better camera and battery for the 6 I would be kicking myself for not waiting.

It will be out in December... so not for a while. I would assume both would be there but only from a yearly refresh and nothing crazy.

TehOh

My Nexus 4 took some water and the digitizer got screwed up, so I think it might be time to order a new phone.

Doing the no-contract route, so I'm debating getting either a Moto X or a Nexus 5. I'm pretty disappointed in the battery life and build quality of the Nexus 4 - and I dig the ability to customize the Moto X - so I'm leaning towards it.

So, which do you guys recommend?

Threi

notag
can't say i've had any camera issues with my n4...but the battery has been a slave to random google syncing issues and msim_hsic_host though. Very annoying.

My Nexus 4 took some water and the digitizer got screwed up, so I think it might be time to order a new phone.

Doing the no-contract route, so I'm debating getting either a Moto X or a Nexus 5. I'm pretty disappointed in the battery life and build quality of the Nexus 4 - and I dig the ability to customize the Moto X - so I'm leaning towards it.

So, which do you guys recommend?

get the Moto X if you're leaning that way, though either would be a fine choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom