• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

well I got my phone with the new glass back... and it's not good

lcd underneath scratched to hell and back, dust underneath, and a big blue spot in the middle... :/

I really don't know whether to blame the guy tho.. I bet it wasn't easy to apply. other than that it's functional and the touchscreen seems responsive as normal

what a drunk fool. supremely bummed.

I guess I'll buy the whole screen at some point or something...

G3X926h.jpg

Back, home and menu button.

I'm sure the FireOS looks great on a TV.

SimleuqiR

G3X926h.jpg

Back, home and menu button.

I'm sure the FireOS looks great on a TV.

mAmazon gonna knock you out.

I hate the fact that I can't use their video service with my Chromecast stick.
I love Amazon for what they are, but I never installed their app store, stopped buying mp3s from them years ago, and never have supported their hardware endeavors. Not sure if I would buy a settop box from them.

MarkusRJR

So my brother gave/lent me his old One X since he upgraded to an HTC One since I was curious about android. I've been playing a few games, but it's really inconsistent. 3D games seem to have massive frame rate drops and Jetpack Joyride works fine except it'll freeze up for a half second every 20 or so seconds.

Basically, what're some super lightweight games that will run on an older android phone?

Groof

So my brother gave/lent me his old One X since he upgraded to an HTC One since I was curious about android. I've been playing a few games, but it's really inconsistent. 3D games seem to have massive frame rate drops and Jetpack Joyride works fine except it'll freeze up for a half second every 20 or so seconds.

Basically, what're some super lightweight games that will run on an older android phone?

Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but in light of recent news of a sequel dropping, I'd suggest giving Wind-up Knight a spin. It's a 3D side scroller that's quite challenging, to say the least, but I remember it running quite well on my old Galaxy S2.

VoxPop

3B2CRcv.jpg

Clever HTC. They didn't leave Verizon enough space on the front to put their logo anywhere.

Dammit Verizon.

I am not really feeling the M8 at all. Currently swapping out between the 5S and original One and don't really see an incentive to upgrade unless the battery + camera are really awesome.

Getting the usual OS boredom I get every 6 or so months. Looking for a change of scenery.

Would grab a Z2 if it was more widely available here but that doesnt seem to be the case.

Might just go with the iPhone 6 or BlackBerry Q30 and call it a day.

Husker86

Dammit Verizon.

I am not really feeling the M8 at all. Currently swapping out between the 5S and original One and don't really see an incentive to upgrade unless the battery + camera are really awesome.

Getting the usual OS boredom I get every 6 or so months. Looking for a change of scenery.

Would grab a Z2 if it was more widely available here but that doesnt seem to be the case.

Might just go with the iPhone 6 or BlackBerry Q30 and call it a day.

image.php

MarkusRJR

What's the best podcast app for android?

Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but in light of recent news of a sequel dropping, I'd suggest giving Wind-up Knight a spin. It's a 3D side scroller that's quite challenging, to say the least, but I remember it running quite well on my old Galaxy S2.
I'll definitely try it out. I bought Rayman Jungle Run and it runs surprisingly great considering the performance of other games.

Edit: Why is Rayman's soundtrack located in my music player? -_-

MarkusRJR

So for some reason Rayman's soundtrack is being picked up by the default music player, with no option to hide it beyond deleting it. Is there any third party music players that allow you to only scan specific folders?

Is there any way to use two factor auth without a cell phone plan and being able to receive texts? I'm going on vacation for a few months this summer and wondering how to deal with my gmail. Shut off two factor or is there another way? I guess I could just keep myself signed in for those few months. Only use my Chromebook and my nexus gmail client which is always auth'd. I'm only really prompted to use it when signing in from a new computer so maybe I won't run into any issues leaving it on.

Groof

Is there any way to use two factor auth without a cell phone plan and being able to receive texts? I'm going on vacation for a few months this summer and wondering how to deal with my gmail. Shut off two factor or is there another way? I guess I could just keep myself signed in for those few months. Only use my Chromebook and my nexus gmail client which is always auth'd. I'm only really prompted to use it when signing in from a new computer so maybe I won't run into any issues leaving it on.

Have you tried setting up the Authenticator app?

aScaris

Hello AndroidGAF! Two days ago I finally got my first tablet device (Nexus7 2013 edition) and so far I really love it and have rarely put it aside :D However, I am seriously overwhelmed with all the apps and functionalities available.. I hope this is the right thread for my question, if not just ignore me :D There are tons of "Top XX Android Apps" lists on the internet, but I still feel like I have no idea what the essential apps to have are. So far I have gotten

AquaMail
RAR
Poweramp
Twitch For Players

and some news apps. Any must-have-apps I need to get? Further I would like to play some games on it, but the only one I played so far (Sonic Dash) really annoyed the fuck out of me with all its advertisement... Are there any good free games (preferrably with some sort of story or progression) that are not completely overloaded with advertisements? Any specific settings that are recommended to change to get more out of the tablet?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
10 Apps/Games for your new Nexus 7

AirDroid
Dice Player
Google Hangouts
Antennapod
Dash Clock
Muzei + Extension of your Choice
Wallbase
Feedly
Shardlands
Brave Frontier

Husker86

Remember that it only works on one device at a time! The last one you set it up on will deactivate the last one. Safe travels!

You can scan that barcode for as many devices as you want. You have to do it as you're setting it up though, since you can't bring up your barcode again.

Hello AndroidGAF! Two days ago I finally got my first tablet device (Nexus7 2013 edition) and so far I really love it and have rarely put it aside :D However, I am seriously overwhelmed with all the apps and functionalities available.. I hope this is the right thread for my question, if not just ignore me :D There are tons of "Top XX Android Apps" lists on the internet, but I still feel like I have no idea what the essential apps to have are. So far I have gotten

AquaMail
RAR
Poweramp
Twitch For Players

and some news apps. Any must-have-apps I need to get? Further I would like to play some games on it, but the only one I played so far (Sonic Dash) really annoyed the fuck out of me with all its advertisement... Are there any good free games (preferrably with some sort of story or progression) that are not completely overloaded with advertisements? Any specific settings that are recommended to change to get more out of the tablet?

So you only want to play games that the developers have received no monetary reward for developing for you?

Avixph

Hey guys here are some overview/review videos of the Samsung Galaxy S5 (warning: the videos are in Russian and may be spoilerish for those that like to discover phone features on their own):

So you guys don't have an opinion on this?

longdi

Banned
Xperia Z2 looks delayed, low on stocks worldwide.

Damn! Just when Sony gets the all round hardware right, they cannot produce enough of it! I waited for 3 months out of contract and now i wait another more month, pricing is expected to slot in between Z1 and Note3! Before i know it, Z3 is around the corner. :(

Decided to skip Z1C because the screen estate is smaller than GS2 due to the software buttons.

catmincer

Xperia Z2 looks delayed, low on stocks worldwide.

Damn! Just when Sony gets the all round hardware right, they cannot produce enough of it! I waited for 3 months out of contract and now i wait another more month, pricing is expected to slot in between Z1 and Note3! Before i know it, Z3 is around the corner. :(

Decided to skip Z1C because the screen estate is smaller than GS2 due to the software buttons.

Good for Samsung/HTC then as long as neither experience delays.

aScaris

Thanks for all the suggestions! Couldn't test all of them by now, because I got caught up in Shardlands :D Nice game and really good graphics. I did honestly not expect anything like that from a tablet ;) Also Antennapod, Feedly and Muzei are very nice :) Gonna check out some more apps tonight! The glorious tablet world awaits!! :D

dalVlatko

For some reason I keep getting a random notification sound at 8 PM but there is no notification. I've tried installing a notification tracker to see what is causing it but it didn't pick it up either. Anyone have a solution to stop this?

Husker86

For some reason I keep getting a random notification sound at 8 PM but there is no notification. I've tried installing a notification tracker to see what is causing it but it didn't pick it up either. Anyone have a solution to stop this?

It's not a do not disturb mode turning on is it? That's the only thing I could come up with that would be timed daily like that, but I've never used that mode on any phone and I doubt it would make a sound when it turned on.

terrier

finally decided to go for an s4 4g+ (snapdragon 800), to replace my wife's optimus g, Since it was the best device I could get for 'free'. I must admit, despite all the hate on samsung, the device is sexy, really small and thin , despite being 5 inch. Only flaw is the same as s3, why comfortable on hand, it has almost 0 grip.

And well, then there is that thing called touchwiz. And all the bloatware. And with knox i won't root because of warranty. It is really a pitty because despite giving a higher antutu result than my nexus 5 (weird since same cpu+gpu), lag is noticeable quite often, and there's less ram available. I tried to disable some apps but since a few are needed to use some services and others cannot be disablet it is kinda disappointing.

oh and samsung's video player is a huge step back, the one on my note 8 is nice, but this one is embedded with their samsung hub thing and despite having other apps disabled, it asks me all the time to update samsung books music and learnig apps. I'll have to use mx player instedf. Any suggestions for a video player?¿

Groof

And well, then there is that thing called touchwiz. And all the bloatware. And with knox i won't root because of warranty. It is really a pitty because despite giving a higher antutu result than my nexus 5 (weird since same cpu+gpu), lag is noticeable quite often, and there's less ram available. I tried to disable some apps but since a few are needed to use some services and others cannot be disablet it is kinda disappointing.
This is because Samsung have a little cheat implemented that detects when benchmarking apps are running and ramp up all CPU and GPU usage to max for best results.
They're not alone with doing that though.

Vanillalite

Honestly Antennapod does everything I need and has gpodder support.

I haven't found a need to go elsewhere when Antennapod does what I need for free.

MarkusRJR

Okay, I have a very specific request. Is there a podcast app that let's you alter volume output levels? For some reason the lowest level of volume on my phone is super loud via headphones. It's okay when I'm outside, but in the house it is kind of annoying. I listen to the Giant Bombcast and they get pretty loud at times, making the situation even worse.

Any ideas?

Vanillalite

Okay, I have a very specific request. Is there a podcast app that let's you alter volume output levels? For some reason the lowest level of volume on my phone is super loud via headphones. It's okay when I'm outside, but in the house it is kind of annoying. I listen to the Giant Bombcast and they get pretty loud at times, making the situation even worse.

Any ideas?

Probably not a podcast thing. Probably a volume thing. Get a DSP or a Volume app and try to correct.

Vanillalite

Don't worry as your supreme ruler of Android GAF Hangout Edition I have decreed this an emergency situation. I shall get top minds on fixing this problem!

CronoShot

I don't know if it was with the latest update or I just missed it all this time, but Google Play Movies & TV seemingly just got updated with SD card support (like Google Play Music).

Need to get me dat 128GB micro SD card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom