• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrier

Now that you mention this sd card thing, i am a bit worried about its future on +4.4.2 devices. Latest update from samsung for note 3 and s4 makes them half useless. It doesn't disable the SD but from what i heard i doesn't allow apps to access content on SD unles on their own private folder.
I read that they just follow google's guidelines, and although they could just ignore it, they did not. Maybe they will fix this in a future update. It is especially harmful since samsung devices only have half of they built in memory available too. Let's see what do others like sony, lg or htc do...

V2iIawv.png

Ok.

Kssio_Aug

Just a question regarding Cyanogenmod. After installing it, I will still be able to download all my google play store downloaded apps? Will the Google Play store of my region still be avaiable?

Just a question regarding Cyanogenmod. After installing it, I will still be able to download all my google play store downloaded apps? Will the Google Play store of my region still be avaiable?

you have to separately download and install a Google Apps package first, then you will able to do that. they aren't allowed to bundle the Google Apps package with CM.

Kssio_Aug

you have to separately download and install a Google Apps package first, then you will able to do that. they aren't allowed to bundle the Google Apps package with CM.

If I install the package, will the region of the apps there be the one that I use now? Or it will be like an "american" google store or something like that?

CronoShot

Now that you mention this sd card thing, i am a bit worried about its future on +4.4.2 devices. Latest update from samsung for note 3 and s4 makes them half useless. It doesn't disable the SD but from what i heard i doesn't allow apps to access content on SD unles on their own private folder.
I read that they just follow google's guidelines, and although they could just ignore it, they did not. Maybe they will fix this in a future update. It is especially harmful since samsung devices only have half of they built in memory available too. Let's see what do others like sony, lg or htc do...

Hm. My Note 3 is on 4.4.2, I haven't noticed any differences. I have a ton of videos, music, and even a few games for emulation on it. Still works fine.

terrier

Hm. My Note 3 is on 4.4.2, I haven't noticed any differences. I have a ton of videos, music, and even a few games for emulation on it. Still works fine.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Andr...te-3-likely-to-cause-microSD-problems_id52995

http://www.chainfire.eu/articles/113/Is_Google_blocking_apps_writing_to_SD_cards_/

i've read a lot of complaining in other forums, so kinda scared. I guess it depends on how each one uses the sd and which apps are allowed and which ones aren't. The problem is that it seems that once you install KK you cannot go back to 4.3. You can always root and then fix this, but with knox you loose the warranty.

pd. i find chromecast interesting, but is it really useful? i mean, is there a list of apps that work with it. I'm interested in using it as a 'screen mirroring' device, but i think it works differently. If i wanted to 'stream' a movie using MX player for example, could i do that?¿?

Groof

Devices on the Play Store are live in Sweden, after long last. No more huge store markups and lack of colour options for us! Currently available are Nexus 5 (all current SKUs), Nexus 7 (only black) as well as a slew of accessories for the two and lastly, Chromecast.

Seems like Google are looking to expand for real now, what with the huge release of Play services these past few days.

2014: the year of El Goog.

terrier

hopefully they will also expand language support for google now/ GEL. They need to be consistent in all markets and languages. At least a few more than US and UK

JimiNutz

Banned
Hope someone can help, using my first Android device and run into some trouble.

I've got an Xperia Z1 and use it a lot to listen to podcasts. Some of tbese podcasts are 3 hours long so I tend to listen to them in chunks.

Previously if I paused a podcast in either Sony Walkman or Google music player it would remember where I was in the podcast and then later in the day I could pick up right where I left off. I could even turn the phone on/off and the podcast would remain paused in the same location.

Suddenly this is no longer working, my device loses where I was and I have to start the podcast all the way from the beginning. It's really annoying as some of these podcasts are over 3 hours long and I've got to fumble around trying to work out where I was previously.

Any idea why this has randomly changed and how I can get it back?
Ive looked in settings but can't see what has changed...

Emwitus

Anyone here ever returned a nexus phone after a long period of time? I had mine for 7 months then it started glitching. How is the refurbished phone from Google? What if I return the phone and they deny warranty. Do they charge me?

JonnyBrad

Anyone here ever returned a nexus phone after a long period of time? I had mine for 7 months then it started glitching. How is the refurbished phone from Google? What if I return the phone and they deny warranty. Do they charge me?

When my n4 screen broke they shipped me a new one before i sent back the old one. They do put a hold charge on your CC so if they find it's not a warranty fix or people trying to blag a cracked screen they would get charged.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
If I root my Z1 Compact, will I still be able to update it to 4.4 whenever Sony rolls out the update, or will I have to install something like Triangle Away to get official updates?

Nicktendo86

Devices on the Play Store are live in Sweden, after long last. No more huge store markups and lack of colour options for us! Currently available are Nexus 5 (all current SKUs), Nexus 7 (only black) as well as a slew of accessories for the two and lastly, Chromecast.

Seems like Google are looking to expand for real now, what with the huge release of Play services these past few days.

2014: the year of El Goog.

Praise jebus

Emwitus

When my n4 screen broke they shipped me a new one before i sent back the old one. They do put a hold charge on your CC so if they find it's not a warranty fix or people trying to blag a cracked screen they would get charged.
So were you charged for A broken screen???:-O

My Nexus 4 seemed to have died. It had 14% charge so I plugged it into my wall charger. As I did the screen went black... and an hour later I cannot get it to come back. Any suggestions? I am already looking for a replacement and the Nexus 5 seems the best, although I wish I could find a decent option closer to $250 (for T-Mobile, off-contract). Also, what is the best warranty service for phones... Squaretrade? I don't want to deal with another dying phone without a warranty.

Grakl

My Nexus 4 seemed to have died. It had 14% charge so I plugged it into my wall charger. As I did the screen went black... and an hour later I cannot get it to come back. Any suggestions? I am already looking for a replacement and the Nexus 5 seems the best, although I wish I could find a decent option closer to $250 (for T-Mobile, off-contract). Also, what is the best warranty service for phones... Squaretrade? I don't want to deal with another dying phone without a warranty.
you could try holding the power button and the volume down button for > 10 seconds while plugged in

CronoShot

JUMP is for contract plans only I thought? I am on the $30/mo prepaid, non-contract plan.

Tmobile doesn't do contracts anymore, they just have payment plans for their phones. It's set up for two years, but you can pay it off whenever.

And I guess if a Nexus 5 is too much, the next best option is a Moto G.

I installed the Google experience on a Moto G, but the icons are really huge. Any way to make them smaller? I'm guessing it's really easy, but Google search didn't help.

JoeFu

Banned
Not sure if anybody posted a pic of this but the Oppo Find 7 looks pretty sexy. The notification light bar at the bottom is sooo nice

inMShziYPYLEd.jpg

stolen from mkbhd's facebook

If you're talking about the app drawer, that's because of the google now launcher.
It actually looks great in the app drawer. The home screen just feels tiny with the big icons. The screen looked huge with the regular launcher. But it doesn't really matter too much. Still looks great in Apps.

I wish there was a way to make an app appear when swiping the opposite way of Google now. Would be hot to swipe for Facebook or WhatsApp.

Funny. I just noticed you can't swipe away Google now cards to the left, because it exits the screen.

What happens if I send a message to some big shot at Google on hangout? Do people do that? Do they get replies like the famous Steve Jobs replies? (did those actually happen?)

Kitkat for Xperia Z1 is finally out..hopefully it improves the camera and add Z2 functions...
But so far people are reporting no significant improvements. Sucks...

I'll probably skip the Z2 and just go with the New HTC one...if Sony can't even support a 6 month old device even if they have a fix for it. Maybe that's why they releasing a new flagship phone every 6 months...

kehs

Banned
So push bullet and the chrome extension are awesome, but it's lacking the extra notification controls like "delete/archive/etc" for expanded notifications.

I remember seeing an app/extension combo that had this functionality. Anyone know?

Hi, Android-GAF. So, I traded in my old phone last night for an HTC One Max. I was originally looking at the Note 3, but the guy there dissuaded me from it, showed me side by side that the HTC was getting far more signal than the Note 3 that he had. Now I've got it with a pretty big case of buyer's remorse, because I hadn't done my homework on this phone, but the Note has 3gb (over the max's 2) and it has the snapdragon 800 (over the max's 600). I have 2 weeks to decide if I want to keep it or go for the note...suggestions?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hi, Android-GAF. So, I traded in my old phone last night for an HTC One Max. I was originally looking at the Note 3, but the guy there dissuaded me from it, showed me side by side that the HTC was getting far more signal than the Note 3 that he had. Now I've got it with a pretty big case of buyer's remorse, because I hadn't done my homework on this phone, but the Note has 3gb (over the max's 2) and it has the snapdragon 800 (over the max's 600). I have 2 weeks to decide if I want to keep it or go for the note...suggestions?

Get the Note 3. Fuck that guy.

Get the Note 3. Fuck that guy.

Probably going to switch today after work. The one max feels alright, and the speakers are great for a phone, but there are just a few annoyances that I can't just stare at for the next couple years. Specifically, it won't drop a prompt on my lock screen to set up the fingerprint scanner until I do so, but my company's email policy blocks fingerprint passwords, so it's a notification on my lock screen that I literally cannot turn off, ever. It's gone from slightly annoying to flat out infuriating in the last few hours as I realized there's literally nothing I can do about it.

Kitkat for Xperia Z1 is finally out..hopefully it improves the camera and add Z2 functions...
But so far people are reporting no significant improvements. Sucks...

I'll probably skip the Z2 and just go with the New HTC one...if Sony can't even support a 6 month old device even if they have a fix for it. Maybe that's why they releasing a new flagship phone every 6 months...

The camera has been improved. Pictures have much less noise in them after 4.4.2, it won't be the same as the Z2 because it uses a newer version of the sensor (like the RX100 to RX100II) that is better in low and high ISO and it includes a couple of lens adjustments for sharpness. I think the module number is the same, but the actual sensor and lens are every so slightly different (improved). That goes beyond software though. Regardless, the software side is significantly better than before, no more mosquito noise, more detail (more grain also), NR has been set to off for low ISO pictures, the file sizes are also bigger iirc.

The people reporting are either not taking pictures right or they are not doing like-for-like comparisons.

http://www.static.xperiablog.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/20MP.jpg

Have a look at that picture at 100%, you can see a proper grain pattern rather than compression artifacts or mosquito noise from previous pictures. In general compression is much lower now.

Even then I think there is more to come on the software side for the Z1 and Z1c, however, they won't deliver that (timeshift video and 4k) until the Z2 is on the market. Those flagship features would need to come to the flagship phone first and then be rolled out to compatible devices later on.

One downside I have heard (and had confirmed) for 4.4.2 is that there are a couple of battery drain bugs for the Z1 that they will need to get ironed out very quickly. Hopefully the next software revision fixes those. Personally I wouldn't update to 4.4.2 until they fix those. Sadly my ZL will have to wait until May for 4.4.2 and my SP will be waiting until June/July.

at the same price? Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

for more money?
STILL Note 3

CronoShot

The Note 3 is superior to the One Max in nearly every way, aside from the speakers. And even then, the Note 3's speaker isn't bad at all.

Definitely switch.

Futureman

somehow my phone dropped out of my pocket this morning and I got a call from my apartment that they found it.

I was thinking... if I had one of those 4 digit pins on my phone, there wouldn't have been a way for them to know who's phone it was??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom