• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobe

hi guys, well im new to android just bought a 2014 galaxy tab 10.1, and i got some questions halp me pls.

is rooting essential? ive read that touchwiz is crap and is just bloat software.

how can a i get a us account, i spent most of my year in peru because of classes but then im off for a good couple of months to the us, i have us cc's and address, (currently im in peru)

in ios well you just switch your store. how can i do that here in droid.

this tablet is running jelly bean (i think) ive read that it is compatible with kit kat, does it auto update? or do i manually have to look the update online??

DonMigs85

If you're new to Android you should probably leave the tablet stock for a while. No real need to root unless you have specific needs or want to mess around with the CPU frequency and things like that. The KitKat update should be over the air eventually.

You need a US VPN to get the US Google Play Store.

Why didn't you get a Nexus if you apparently did some kind of research on Android versions and pre-installed software? Root is far from necessary for the vast majority of people. One man's bloat is another man's useful feature. If an update is available, you will be prompted within a week or so of its release.

TLDR version: Take it back and get an iPad.

Tobe

dont really like ipads, and im making a slow transition towards android, ios has been to stale the last updates. nothing really game changer and personalization is a big thing for me. just having issues with the store and shit. its a slow learning curve i guess. it feels great i just dont get everything.

MarkusRJR

How bad does Whatsapp drain battery life? I used to own a Motorola Milestone (GSM version of the original droid), my last android phone, and whatsapp destroyed the battery life.

Has it gotten any better, and if not what are some better battery saving options?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
How bad does Whatsapp drain battery life? I used to own a Motorola Milestone (GSM version of the original droid), my last android phone, and whatsapp destroyed the battery life.

Has it gotten any better, and if not what are some better battery saving options?

That's not Whatsapp as much as it was just a really old shitty Android phone.

In general now a days messaging apps shouldn't be a huge battery drain. No more than anything else really. You'll get more drain just purely from the screen being on.

Doczu

Hi guys, i've got some questions about modding the stock Nexus 7 (2013).

1. What are the best roms and kernels for the machine? I'd like to find the best power saving possibilities, so fast and not battery hungry are my priorities, eye candy is second.
2. Some good apps to customize the tablet. Is there some good scheduled power off/on solution? My gf Lenovo y3000 has a sweet power off/on fuction and i'd love to find something like that for the nexus.

I've already rooted and unlocked the device.

Blackie

Hi all! Can anyone help me with an app question?

My friend is an architect who goes out in the field with a Samsung Note 8 and can't find a usable program to edit pdf files with his stylus (taking notes on existing drawings/etc). Single pdfs for architecture drawings are big (4MB+) so loading one and zooming can causes jittering or freeze the program, and he wants to be able to load multiple of those files to scroll through and edit with the stylus on the fly!

I generally know tech stuff but for drawing/stylus apps where you can edit pdfs like that on the Samsung Note 8 is out of my expertise. He tried the Bluebeam app but it doesn't work right.

Help please!

tzare

Check ezPDF on samsung apps store, it is free , or at least it was and allowed pdf editing.Not sure if it can handle multiple pdfs though

My friend is an architect who goes out in the field with a Samsung Note 8 and can't find a usable program to edit pdf files with his stylus (taking notes on existing drawings/etc). Single pdfs for architecture drawings are big (4MB+) so loading one and zooming can causes jittering or freeze the program, and he wants to be able to load multiple of those files to scroll through and edit with the stylus on the fly!

I generally know tech stuff but for drawing/stylus apps where you can edit pdfs like that on the Samsung Note 8 is out of my expertise. He tried the Bluebeam app but it doesn't work right.

Help please!

HKnightz

Looking to join T-Mobile. What's the consensus on the best (Android) phone on there? Was looking at the nexus 5 but it seems like the camera isn't as good and I don't like that there's no removable storage

DonMigs85

Help please!

I guess he could try Foxit PDF

samven582

The camera has been improved. Pictures have much less noise in them after 4.4.2, it won't be the same as the Z2 because it uses a newer version of the sensor (like the RX100 to RX100II) that is better in low and high ISO and it includes a couple of lens adjustments for sharpness. I think the module number is the same, but the actual sensor and lens are every so slightly different (improved). That goes beyond software though. Regardless, the software side is significantly better than before, no more mosquito noise, more detail (more grain also), NR has been set to off for low ISO pictures, the file sizes are also bigger iirc.

The people reporting are either not taking pictures right or they are not doing like-for-like comparisons.

http://www.static.xperiablog.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/20MP.jpg

Have a look at that picture at 100%, you can see a proper grain pattern rather than compression artifacts or mosquito noise from previous pictures. In general compression is much lower now.

Even then I think there is more to come on the software side for the Z1 and Z1c, however, they won't deliver that (timeshift video and 4k) until the Z2 is on the market. Those flagship features would need to come to the flagship phone first and then be rolled out to compatible devices later on.

One downside I have heard (and had confirmed) for 4.4.2 is that there are a couple of battery drain bugs for the Z1 that they will need to get ironed out very quickly. Hopefully the next software revision fixes those. Personally I wouldn't update to 4.4.2 until they fix those. Sadly my ZL will have to wait until May for 4.4.2 and my SP will be waiting until June/July.

Do you know if the Z1 LTE C6906 is coming to the US Market?

wario

is it me or does facebook links not open in the Facebook app?
(imagine a friend sends you a facebook link via WhatsApp, etc)

that's something that bothers me about a bunch of apps actually.

meetup, fb, linkedin, evite, eventbrite... a link to those websites should check if you have those apps installed first and if so, just open the app.

only youtube consistently opens the app rather than the mobile site upon a link click.

kehs

Banned
that's something that bothers me about a bunch of apps actually.

meetup, fb, linkedin, evite, eventbrite... a link to those websites should check if you have those apps installed first and if so, just open the app.

only youtube consistently opens the app rather than the mobile site upon a link click.

send a line to the devs, they have to setup their apps to register url recognitions.

yogloo

Help please!

Import pdf to s note. Then he can do whatever he wants to the pdf. I have never tried it with bigger pdf though.

Vanillalite

Looking to join T-Mobile. What's the consensus on the best (Android) phone on there? Was looking at the nexus 5 but it seems like the camera isn't as good and I don't like that there's no removable storage

All of the new 2014 flagships seem to have micro sd slots.

So pick the one that speaks to you between the S5, Z2, and the One 2K14. You'll have to wait for reviews to really truly know on the camera. Plus you have to consider which Android skin you like the best unless you are gonna root and flash.

Z2 - 3GB RAM, biggest battery
S5 - 2.5GHz CPU, removable battery
M8 - 32GB base, BOOMSOUND (tm)

everyone made cuts in places to hit their pricepoints...

HKnightz

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm coming from the note 2 so I'm leaning towards leaving TouchWiz although it isn't as obtrusive as a lot of people make it out to be. Z2 looks damn sleek but Sony apps don't haha. That m8 looks nice...ahhh choices. Might have to go with that since it's likely to come out sooner. Thanks again guys

MarkusRJR

So instead of buying a cheap tablet (100-150 bucks), I splurged on a Kobo Arc 10HD. Basically a beefed up Nexus 10 with better specs (same resolution and size but less curvy). It was 100 dollars off (so it was $300), making it really appealing since I have a massive Kobo eBook collection and enjoy their products. Really loving it so far. Very stock looking launcher with reading features added throughout.

The only negative thing would be battery life. I tend to only get 6.5 hours on screen time with my heavy use.

I have one problem though: For some reason pulling down the notification bar within an app causing a 1-2 second freeze up (doesn't respond at all). When I'm on the home menu it works totally fine however. It's just a tad annoying.

Would anyone have any idea as to why it's happening or if there's a way to stop it from occurring?

EDIT: A reboot seems to temporarily fix it but it comes back after using the tablet a day or two.

MarkusRJR

6.5 for a tablet? :/
Yeah it's kind of shitty battery wise. I only have the brightness at 30% too. I got 8 hours on screen time using the tablet's reading mode (turns off WiFi and limits the CPU). Thankfully I never use my tablet more than 2 or 3 hours at a time so usually I don't need to worry.

Anyone have any ideas regarding the weird notification bar freeze ups I mentioned a few posts up?

Can someone tell me how to download an offline part of a map in Google maps for android? I'm going on vacation soon to Santiago Chile and want to download the city offline. I don't see the option to make this area available offline for Santiago but I do see it for my own location at the moment.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can someone tell me how to download an offline part of a map in Google maps for android? I'm going on vacation soon to Santiago Chile and want to download the city offline. I don't see the option to make this area available offline for Santiago but I do see it for my own location at the moment.
It doesn't always work. The option just may not be available :/

Zoom in on the area you want to coach and type "OK maps" into the search bar.

Zeppu

Zoom in on the area you want to coach and type "OK maps" into the search bar.

Or just press on the search bar and minimize the keyboard. You'll have the following:

WIe1Yw5l.png

Thanks guys but that blue font "make this map area available offline" link is not there for Santiago Chile. Maybe one of you can check but I guess it isn't available for every city maybe? I also just tried the "OK maps" thing and it says "map preloading isn't available for this area."

Bummer. Not sure why its restricted in some areas. Guess I have to get another map app for this.

Vanillalite

Rumor Megaton:

Sense 6 apps are officially in the play store. What does this mean? Rumor is the Blinkfeed app might contain the whole launcher. This means HTC could update the launcher as they go via the play store vs having to push a carrier update.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Thanks guys but that blue font "make this map area available offline" link is not there for Santiago Chile. Maybe one of you can check but I guess it isn't available for every city maybe? I also just tried the "OK maps" thing and it says "map preloading isn't available for this area."

Bummer. Not sure why its restricted in some areas. Guess I have to get another map app for this.

You also have to remember that it does not save points of interest when you save locally. So if you will be without data to look those up, the saved map is not that terribly useful. I would look into alternate options if you need maps for traveling and won't have data access.

The tripadvisor apps can save points of interest and maps locally.

You also have to remember that it does not save points of interest when you save locally. So if you will be without data to look those up, the saved map is not that terribly useful. I would look into alternate options if you need maps for traveling and won't have data access.

The tripadvisor apps can save points of interest and maps locally.
I just checked out the TripAdvisor Santiago guide app and it is perfect. Thanks for that.

Rumor Megaton:

Sense 6 apps are officially in the play store. What does this mean? Rumor is the Blinkfeed app might contain the whole launcher. This means HTC could update the launcher as they go via the play store vs having to push a carrier update.

Curious, if someone like Verizon, who always has to handle the updates on their network for any phone, notices this, how do you think they would handle it? Not allow the phone on their network? If HTC and Motorola all planned to do this for the future, and Verizon didn't allow their phones on the network because of this, wouldn't it be basically suicide for Verizon? They'd basically only have Samsung left...

AndyD

aka andydumi
I just checked out the TripAdvisor Santiago guide app and it is perfect. Thanks for that.

Only thing about those is that there's different apps for each city. So make sure to load all the ones you might need. And last thing, I think they also had an airports one, or maybe a different company did, which can come in handy across different places.

Only thing about those is that there's different apps for each city. So make sure to load all the ones you might need. And last thing, I think they also had an airports one, or maybe a different company did, which can come in handy across different places.
Yeah I only need the one city. It is pretty great for only 50mb after all the updates are done. Photos, reviews, everything. And all offline. Perfect.

Avixph

Rumor Megaton:

The Sense 6 apps are for the Google Play Edition of rhe HTC One (2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom