• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruceh

Banned
Why don''t the new flagships offer wireless charging? The nexus 4 and nexus 5 both had them so there's no excuse. It charges slower but for me it's definitely worth it as an every day thing. I only use wired in the car using GPS.

RoKKeR

I'm having troubles with my HTC One battery. (2013, fuck you and your names, HTC!)

Have had it in the charger for probably 8+ hours today and it has yet to regain full charge, and drains incredibly quickly whenever I turn it back on. I keep in turned all the way off when charging but it still goes slowly. Using the HTC connector to a wall outlet which usually means fast charging but it has been aggravatingly slow today.

Any thoughts on a fix?

zbeeb

I'm having troubles with my HTC One battery. (2013, fuck you and your names, HTC!)

Have had it in the charger for probably 8+ hours today and it has yet to regain full charge, and drains incredibly quickly whenever I turn it back on. I keep in turned all the way off when charging but it still goes slowly. Using the HTC connector to a wall outlet which usually means fast charging but it has been aggravatingly slow today.

Any thoughts on a fix?

Tried a different charger? That includes swapping the actual adapter and/or usb cable

RoKKeR

Tried a different charger? That includes swapping the actual adapter and/or usb cable

I was sort of thinking this, like the USB cable is bunk or something. Might run to CVS tomorrow and grab another to see if it fixes the problem. (only have one w/me at university)

yogloo

Any thoughts on a fix?
Uh. The bold sounds suspect. Have you try a factory reset?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Planning on picking up an Android tablet with some birthday money coming up. The one I'm most familiar with is the Nexus 7, a few people I know have either the older or newer model. Is the 2013 model still worth grabbing or should I wait for a new tablet to come along? Have there been better tablets in that price range since?

I'm mostly going to be using mine with ComicRack and Comixology, as well as casual browsing, so I want something with a decent resolution. My girlfriend has an iPad 2 (without the retina display) which I've got used to reading comics on, I'm sure I can trade down in screen size though if I'm getting a better resolution/screen. Portability would be good (for reading on the train to work) and I'm interested in customising the look and feel of the device. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

Planning on picking up an Android tablet with some birthday money coming up. The one I'm most familiar with is the Nexus 7, a few people I know have either the older or newer model. Is the 2013 model still worth grabbing or should I wait for a new tablet to come along? Have there been better tablets in that price range since?

I'm mostly going to be using mine with ComicRack and Comixology, as well as casual browsing, so I want something with a decent resolution. My girlfriend has an iPad 2 (without the retina display) which I've got used to reading comics on, I'm sure I can trade down in screen size though if I'm getting a better resolution/screen. Portability would be good (for reading on the train to work) and I'm interested in customising the look and feel of the device. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

wait 3 months. it's almost time!

AndyD

aka andydumi
I was sort of thinking this, like the USB cable is bunk or something. Might run to CVS tomorrow and grab another to see if it fixes the problem. (only have one w/me at university)

I have had several USB cables flake out over the past several years. I bought a stack from monoprice.

Talon

Apps on Google Play Store are Covertly Mining

So much for being safe from malware.
The coin-mining apps discussed above were found outside of the Google Play store, but we have found the same behavior in apps inside the Google Play store. These apps have been downloaded by millions of users, which means that there may be many Android devices out there being used to mine cryptocurrency for cybercriminals. We detect this new malware family as ANDROIDOS_KAGECOIN.HBTB. (As of this writing, these apps are still available.)
dogecoinfigure5.png

Analyzing the code of these apps reveal the cryptocurrency mining code inside. Unlike the other malicious apps, in these cases the mining only occurs when the device is charging, as the increased energy usage won’t be noticed as much.

The same miner configuration updating logic is also present here. Analyzing the configuration file, it seems that the cybercriminal responsible is switching into mining Litecoins.

We believe that with thousands of affected devices, cybercriminal accumulated a great deal of Dogecoins.

Reading their app description and terms and conditions on the websites of these apps, users may not know that their devices may potentially be used as mining devices due to the murky language and vague terminology.

Clever as the attack is, whoever carried it out may not have thought things through. Phones do not have sufficient performance to serve as effective miners. Users will also quickly notice the odd behavior of the miners – slow charging and excessively hot phones will all be seen, making the miner’s presence not particularly stealthy. Yes, they can gain money this way, but at a glacial pace.

Users with phones and tablets that are suddenly charging slowly, running hot, or quickly running out of batteries may want to consider if they have been exposed to this or similar threats. Also, just because an app has been downloaded from an app store – even Google Play – does not mean it is safe.
Trend Micro be Thrilled

Any thoughts on a fix?
Your phone is probably a paperweight unless you can get HTC to replace the battery. Consider buying phones that have some non-destructive method of battery replacement next time :(

I would probably try a different USB charger first, though its the draining fast bit that worries me really.

RoKKeR

Your phone is probably a paperweight unless you can get HTC to replace the battery. Consider buying phones that have some non-destructive method of battery replacement next time :(

I would probably try a different USB charger first, though its the draining fast bit that worries me really.
I'm going to try a new charger first. Battery drain is better today.

I can use just any microUSB, not only HTC's correct. Also America's Apple obsession is annoying - been to a lot of places today with only Apple charges and no micro USB's.

I actually wonder if the New HTC One will be user serviceable or not. The old One basically cannot survive being opened. Why people keep buying HTC products remains a mystery.

Talon

I actually wonder if the New HTC One will be user serviceable or not. The old One basically cannot survive being opened. Why people keep buying HTC products remains a mystery.
Because so many people need to open up their phones...

Let's be honest, a majority of consumers in the market for flagships specifically are going to be replacing their phones on a 2-3 year basis. Within that range, the device isn't going to fail tremendously unless you butterfinger it.

Because so many people need to open up their phones...

Let's be honest, a majority of consumers in the market for flagships specifically are going to be replacing their phones on a 2-3 year basis. Within that range, the device isn't going to fail tremendously unless you butterfinger it.
Yeah, I just hope some manufacturers don't follow the glue trend because we usually hand down our old phones to less wealthy relatives in other countries. Even iPhones are trivial to replace the batteries.

Now that I think about it, I've opened up nearly every phone I've owned. Multiple iPhones to replace batteries, home button and loudspeaker, the flex cable on a nexus one after the headphone jack stopped working, even housing replacements prior to selling phones. Pls stay in fashion, screws!

Talon

Yeah, I just hope some manufacturers don't follow the glue trend because we usually hand down our old phones to less wealthy relatives in other countries. Even iPhones are trivial to replace the batteries.

Now that I think about it, I've opened up nearly every phone I've owned. Multiple iPhones to replace batteries, home button and loudspeaker, the flex cable on a nexus one after the headphone jack stopped working, even housing replacements prior to selling phones. Pls stay in fashion, screws!
That's a fair point.

Saw the iFixit. Damn that's a lot of glue.

HTC One 2014's design is so strange to me. Why add on-screen buttons if you're gonna leave the big black bar with the HTC logo on it. Just creates a ton of wasted real estate.

Husker86

HTC One 2014's design is so strange to me. Why add on-screen buttons if you're gonna leave the big black bar with the HTC logo on it. Just creates a ton of wasted real estate.
They need that space inside the phone. I swear, HTC just cannot get on the space efficiency level of anyone else, their phones have always been bigger when compared to the competition.

MattDoza

I'll add that the IR blaster having a strip on the entire top panel and yet still leaving the power button there opposed to one of the sides. And the dual camera trickery is a gimmick. Same camera, new trick. Asymmetrical speaker grills also look a bit weird.

Hoping the next iteration, when I'll likely upgrade, is when they really nail it across the board.

RoKKeR

I'll add that the IR blaster having a strip on the entire top panel and yet still leaving the power button there opposed to one of the sides. And the dual camera trickery is a gimmick. Same camera, new trick. Asymmetrical speaker girlls also look a bit weird.

Hoping the next iteration, when I'll likely upgrade, is when they really nail it across the board.

Yep, agreed. I like the design of my current one much better and I'm wanting a camera upgrade on the next iteration. It feels like they are close to really knocking it out of the park, but they aren't there yet. Going to hang on to my 2013 model and probably pick up a Moto 360 for my obligatory new tech purchase of the year.

Also, good news on my 2013 One's battery - there doesn't seem to be a drain problem, but more of a problem with the MicroUSB cable. Ordered a new MicroUSB cable so hopefully that should solve the random disconnecting and extremely slow charging.

tfur

Does anyone know of a good VPN to use with android? I want one for my HTC desire C.

Are you looking for a VPN server or which protocol to use? I use either L2TP/IPSEC with PSK and SSL VPN's with Android. I use the OpenVPN client for the SSL connections.

If you are looking for hardware VPN server, I suggest one of the Sophos devices. They also have a free software version that I think will allow you to do VPN. Not sure about what functionality the free version gives.

wilflare

okay... looking for a new browser
is Chrome still bad (on KitKat?) or should I go for Dolphin?
using a WebView based-browser from XDA (NBrowser Pro but Google deprecated WebView...)

is there something like Limelight that is compatible with Radeon cards?

and dang I tried out the S5 camera just now
really liking the live HDR mode and Selective Focus options on the new camera

Husker86

using a WebView based-browser from XDA (NBrowser Pro but Google deprecated WebView...)

I've always really liked Chrome Beta /shrug

DonMigs85

Chrome on Nexus devices seems like a different animal. I would probably go for Dolphin, Boat Browser and Firefox are also good.

Emitan

Is Hangout the best chat app to use to message an iPhone? Currently I use the built in Messages app on my iPhone but I won't be able to do that when I get my Galaxy and me and my girlfriend usually use data instead of actual text messages.

kehs

Banned
im kinda of sad that android is so good that they dont even need to update it often i used to look foward to releases cause there would be new stuff coming

but android is like in the future now i want future future stuff

Is Hangout the best chat app to use to message an iPhone? Currently I use the built in Messages app on my iPhone but I won't be able to do that when I get my Galaxy and me and my girlfriend usually use data instead of actual text messages.

theres whatsapp but i think hangtous is enough but the android one is kinda lame since google only appoint a single part time employee to manage it

Mistel

Banned
Are you looking for a VPN server or which protocol to use? I use either L2TP/IPSEC with PSK and SSL VPN's with Android. I use the OpenVPN client for the SSL connections.

If you are looking for hardware VPN server, I suggest one of the Sophos devices. They also have a free software version that I think will allow you to do VPN. Not sure about what functionality the free version gives.
I found one to use for my purposes I did try OpenVPN but I found something easier than that.

Karish

Are there any amazing cheap android tablets? Like no-name companies that actually ship a good product? Kinda want one just to mess around with...

kehs

Banned
emit gplus has many great features from local directories to image backup

hangouts is a blight on the awesome android empire they should be ashamed of being considered part of it

Firefox!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I'm on chrome beta channel and happy. That being said go with what you use on your desktop/laptop vs a 3rd party browser you'll only use on Android. Just to many benefits you pass up not having an account sync things like history, tabs, passwords etc...

snacknuts

we all knew her
Yes.

Try maxthon browser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom