• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a lot of awesome things, in my mind anyways, that are along with it.

However, I'll wait for comparison reviews between the Z2 and the M8.

Talon

It can bypass the cheap chip processing and let the gpu/cpu combined free developer ingenuity do the work with raw data instead.
I don't think you and I know enough about the framework to say one way or the other.

Like, I imagine the fact that HTC is buying OEM parts means that they can't take advantage of an onboard ISP like the way the A7 is setup, which makes a tangible difference. Sure, they have their own ISP, but I imagine it's siloed from the actual core.

kehs

Banned
I don't think you and I know enough about the framework to say one way or the other.

Like, I imagine the fact that HTC is buying OEM parts means that they can't take advantage of an onboard ISP like the way the A7 is setup, which makes a tangible difference. Sure, they have their own ISP, but I imagine it's siloed from the actual core.

The new API for android is meant bypass the onboard processing.

Why is that a good thing? We've seen the results of using an integrated ISP from Apple and Nokia and that's excellent photography.
Isn't this API a way of getting raw images versus compressed JPEGs, like a DSLR can do? Curious to see how the raw images from the camera turn out, the JPEG processing quality on some phones (Sony being the worst) isn't great.

I won't be buying this phone, but if that's possible it'll be neat. Post-processing my own pictures is therapeutic!

AndyD

aka andydumi
So they make the device taller and still keep the power button up on top? Come on, HTC.

Good looking phone, but they need to get rid of that black bar area at the bottom where the HTC logo is. Should be screen area or just make it a shorter phone. Like the G2 with roughly symmetrical bezel profile.

kehs

Banned
Why is that a good thing? We've seen the results of using an integrated ISP from Apple and Nokia and that's excellent photography.

Ideally, you get raw information that you can revert to is say you take a picture and the intial standard quick processing turns it into a mess.

Nokia and Apple just put forth better processing.

Talon

Huh, Verge Mobile Show is going on Hiatus, too. Think Rojas said the same thing about the Engadget show - didn't think there was enough gadget news for it to prevent them from recording a show that wasn't rambling bullshit for at least 30 minutes.

Huh, Verge Mobile Show is going on Hiatus, too. Think Rojas said the same thing about the Engadget show - didn't think there was enough gadget news for it to prevent them from recording a show that wasn't rambling bullshit for at least 30 minutes.

I always liked the mobile show more than the Vergecast, which was so boring for everyone involved, that they had to get drunk during the recording of the past three or so episodes. I just hope that they actually can get Tom Warren on the shows every now and then, once they're done with the reboot.

Now that they're both gone, I need new podcasts. I recently added This is Only a Test and Invisible Walls (listening to some older stuff). Any other recommendations? I wish GT Time already had an audio version and an RSS feed.

MattDoza

HTC is putting up a bunch of Sense apps in the play store for the Google Play edition. Seems like Blinkfeed, Gallery, and Guide are only for the M8 cause they're incompatible on my M7. Sense TV worked, though.

Nvidia showed an updated version of their Tegra roadmap.

Here's a little version history.

j1NLxzj.jpg

IPkNHH4.jpg

TofkYW0.jpg

PZRNvNt.jpg

VS5AsVy.jpg

Looks like they're done with the delays?

Year of the Tegra!

I have no idea what I'm supposed to get out of that 2014 slide, why did they change the y-axis variable to something other than Performance? Does this mean Erista won't keep it 100?

tino

Banned
Nvidia showed an updated version of their Tegra roadmap.

Here's a little version history.

Looks like they're done with the delays?

Year of the Tegra!

Maybe the shitty Marvel hero code names will bring better luck than the shitty DC code names lulz.

To be fair, they had a really good run with the Tegra 2 and the Tegra 3 was in a good amount of devices, too (only tablets, though). Not sure what happened during the transition from T2 to T3 and why 2013 was a no-show for them.

Just got an email from HTC regarding the M8 and they decided to show off with some choice quotes from The Verge. However....

This year's model is supposed to be powerful, feature-rich, long lasting, and still a work of art

Supposed to be......

Doesn't sound like it was a positive quote from the Verge in that context lol.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Android GAF closed the old hangout and created a new one because we had a bunch of people original invited but never accepted.

If you were active in the old hangout and we missed inviting you to our bad. PM one of us. You know who.

If you are new and want in on the fun PM me personally.

3phemeral

This is going to be a rather silly question, but when you use a different launcher from a phones stock, does the stock launcher still run in the background?
Once you set it as the default, the old launcher shouldn't come up at all unless your current one becomes updated. I've noticed that whenever Nova gets an update, I'll be asked to set my default launcher again. I'm sure this is the same with other launchers as well.

jokkir

This is going to be a rather silly question, but when you use a different launcher from a phones stock, does the stock launcher still run in the background?

No. Whatever is in the foreground has the priority. What you need to do though is to either swipe away the instance of the old launcher via recents menu or restarting your phone with the new launcher you want to use.

So Android GAF closed the old hangout and created a new one because we had a bunch of people original invited but never accepted.

If you were active in the old hangout and we missed inviting you to our bad. PM one of us. You know who.

If you are new and want in on the fun PM me personally.

How does Google Hangouts work anyways? I've never tried it.

XBP

GSMarena say in their review that the M8 has better audio output than all smartphones currently in the market (speakers and headphones) which honestly is a very compelling reason to get it. I dont really care about a device's camera but its audio output, especially via headphones, is a very important factor for me. If the M8 has better output than the other flagships this year then i'm pretty sure that will be my new phone.

Dont think so. Not on my Note 3 anyway.

Once you set it as the default, the old launcher shouldn't come up at all unless your current one becomes updated. I've noticed that whenever Nova gets an update, I'll be asked to set my default launcher again. I'm sure this is the same with other launchers as well.

No. Whatever is in the foreground has the priority. What you need to do though is to either swipe away the instance of the old launcher via recents menu or restarting your phone with the new launcher you want to use.

I thought as much, thanks.

terrier

Kinda disappointed with M8's camera. Not sure about their ultra pixel technology, but 4 MP is way too low imo

The rest of the device seems okay, except for the battery, not bad but a bit too small compared to other devices. The S5 was criticized for being 2800. And the price is a bit too high.
SD is nice, but again, since KK has some restrictions i wonder if it was better to have 32GB non expandable instead of 16GB+ 'restricted' SD

As someone posted before, each manufacturer seems to cut somewhere. The best high end device overall seems to be Z2, i wish it was a tad smaller though

Hey all, haven't posted in here for a while...got a unique sitch

if i move up to 10gb per month on at&t, the price per phone goes down as long as I get a new phone on at&t next. basically my plan gets cheaper by a few bucks and i get a free phone, if I don't buy anything, my plan stays more expensive and I have an old phone.

so due to these rare circumstances i'm forced to upgrade, but I don't really like the new HTC One or the Galaxy S5. Someone talk me into the Note 3? lol. I don't really want last years processor, but any recommendations on the best new phones out?

i don't think the Z2 is coming to at&t, but I would definitely be interested in that, or maybe even something from LG.

What should I do?

Tonza

Decided to upgade my HTC One X to a newer Android phone. Went with the Nexus 5 as its 'good-enough'.

I did wait for the HTC reveal but the M8 (or S5, Z2 etc.) doesn't really offer that much extra to justify double the price of the Nexus. And I do develop for Android so having a pure Android phone is nice I guess.

terrier

Decided to upgade my HTC One X to a newer Android phone. Went with the Nexus 5 as its 'good-enough'.

I did wait for the HTC reveal but the M8 (or S5, Z2 etc.) doesn't really offer that much extra to justify double the price of the Nexus. And I do develop for Android so having a pure Android phone is nice I guess.

i also have a nexus 5 and i think it is the best phone out there considering price. Of course other flaships are better here and there, but the price is almost 2X so.... i could have 2 nexus 5 for the price of one of those

btw just noticed i can change the language for voice recognition on google now, without needing to change the language on the phone, so i can have the always listening ok google thing while keeping my own language as system language :)

My iPod has finally shit itself and I don't want to buy another. Is there a good Android app that would work like iTunes does for my podcasts?

I've tried Synctunes and it's pretty awful...

yyzjohn

Banned

Not sure if I trust that. I'd rather just use a password manager that I keep separate and back up with google drive. I use KeePassDroid which stores all my login info, once u open up an entry you can copy the username or password into your buffer to paste into a site or app. Doesn't even have to show you what it is, you just use the notification to drag down and copy either username or password for any site.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.keepass

Talon

Not sure if I trust that. I'd rather just use a password manager that I keep separate and back up with google drive. I use KeePassDroid which stores all my login info, once u open up an entry you can copy the username or password into your buffer to paste into a site or app. Doesn't even have to show you what it is, you just use the notification to drag down and copy either username or password for any site.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.keepass
What? LastPass is like one of the go-to solutions on the web along with PassPack and OnePass.

yyzjohn

Banned
What? LastPass is like one of the go-to solutions on the web along with PassPack and OnePass.

Yeah but where are the passwords stored? On their servers? I'd rather back stuff up on my own considering all the security issues that other companies have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom