• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeno_V

I was ready to order a Nexus 5 (I am in Europe) for 300EUR which is a great price, as the price from Google is 350EUR (+10 for delivery).
The Moto X was more expensive (350EUR at best) but now due to some offer it also costs 300EUR. I like many things in the Moto X but I believe that the camera is terrible.
How is it compared to the Nexus's camera? Still much much worse? This can be the only dealbreaker for me :/.

Talon

Played around with the HTC (new) One at the AT&T store today. Very nice looking device. The gapless construction is great.

The phone is pretty tall. One thing I noticed, my palm was knocking against the bottom right of the screen and interrupting my swipes. Don't know what about this phone's shape in particular was making that happen - tried the S5, Note, and G2 and didn't have the same problem.

Also, holy shit Chrome was horrible on this thing. The native browser was pretty smooth, but Chrome was as choppy as a CR-48. Googy, plz.

Lastpass is pretty neat.
anyone using XMarks?
I used to. I stopped around 2012 - found the syncing was inconsistent.
Not sure... My Sony rx100 take amazing pictures, so I don't know why Sony can't get it right on there mobile devices.
Brosef, I know you understand that these are two completely different problems. The size of your glassware and sensor are constricted to an absurd amount in modern smartphones. Your competencies in actual, standalone cameras can only help so much.

Now, if you were to say, "Apple uses Sony hardware and gets great results," then...yeah there's no response to that. Come on, Sony.

wilflare

Played around with the HTC (new) One at the AT&T store today. Very nice looking device. The gapless construction is great.

The phone is pretty tall. One thing I noticed, my palm was knocking against the bottom right of the screen and interrupting my swipes. Don't know what about this phone's shape in particular was making that happen - tried the S5, Note, and G2 and didn't have the same problem.

Also, holy shit Chrome was horrible on this thing. The native browser was pretty smooth, but Chrome was as choppy as a CR-48. Googy, plz.

I used to. I stopped around 2012 - found the syncing was inconsistent.

Brosef, I know you understand that these are two completely different problems. The size of your glassware and sensor are constricted to an absurd amount in modern smartphones. Your competencies in actual, standalone cameras can only help so much.

Now, if you were to say, "Apple uses Sony hardware and gets great results," then...yeah there's no response to that. Come on, Sony.

I see.. hmm what do you use now? just Google Chrome Sync?

changed to Dolphin + Dolphin Connect (to sync tabs)
pretty cool, and with Lastpass, I got my password synced too!

pariah164

Potentially switching from LG, which I have been loyal to for the past 8 years, to a Samsung Galaxy S4 later this week. What should I expect, AndroidGAF?

ILoveBish

I really hope the note 4 is worthwhile, i skipped the note 3 and have been happy with my note 2 running cm11, but i have my upgrading coming up and would like to get the note 4 as long as its a big upgrade, my note 2 still works flawlessly till now and has a unlocked bootloader on verizon, will take something special to get me to move away from it.

MarkusRJR

So I mentioned I've been having an issue where the lowest volume setting is way too loud. Someone mentioned there are apps to fix this. Which app is the best? I want something that'd be easily removable/reversible so on the off chance it doesn't work well, I can easily get it off my phone and have my stock volume controls.

Groof

Potentially switching from LG, which I have been loyal to for the past 8 years, to a Samsung Galaxy S4 later this week. What should I expect, AndroidGAF?

Honestly, stick with LG and go for the G2.

If you really want to switch, expect a very similar experience but in a different skin. One that might be better or worse, depending on your own preferences.

zatara

if you have the option of getting a g2, get that instead of the galaxy s4. the only real advantage the gs4 has is a wider range of accessories. the g2 having a snapdragon 800 vs the 600 of the gs4 and a battery that is still one of if not the longest last out there is all the reason to get it.

wilflare

While I'm a Samsung supporter (I really like the Note3), I would say choose the LG G2 over the S4.

If you really want to try the Samsung Galaxy S phones, go for the S5 at least

pariah164

if you have the option of getting a g2, get that instead of the galaxy s4. the only real advantage the gs4 has is a wider range of accessories. the g2 having a snapdragon 800 vs the 600 of the gs4 and a battery that is still one of if not the longest last out there is all the reason to get it.
I did kind of want the G2, but my carrier location is small, and does not have it in stock. They only have the S4 (plus other Samsung Galaxy devices), the Moto X, iPhone, and a couple others. We went to a larger carrier location farther out, but the employees were snobbish and rude. Anyway, sorry for the tangent. Thanks for the the input.

I did kind of want the G2, but my carrier location is small, and does not have it in stock. They only have the S4 (plus other Samsung Galaxy devices), the Moto X, iPhone, and a couple others. We went to a larger carrier location farther out, but the employees were snobbish and rude. Anyway, sorry for the tangent. Thanks for the the input.

Just have them order it or just order it online? There's always a way to get it.

KAL2006

Banned
Need advice for new phone upgrade. I'm gonna stick to Android. I want something big with a long battery life. Is the Note 3 my best option. I currently own a S3.

CronoShot

Need advice for new phone upgrade. I'm gonna stick to Android. I want something big with a long battery life. Is the Note 3 my best option. I currently own a S3.

Something big with a long battery life? Note 3 is pretty much the only option, unless you think the G2 is big enough.

RoKKeR

Went to bed last night with my phone at 95%, was set to play an hour of music and the alarm to go off at 7.

Woke up and it's at 35%!?!?!? This has never happened before. What in the hell? I go to the battery stats and it just says "Android System" is what was sucking my battery. Then when I'm out today though it holds it's charge pretty well.

Super odd, something must have been running in the background. Thinking I might just reset my phone completely, only open the apps I need during the night (music/alarm) and then throw it in airplane mode. I really hope my battery isn't fucked.

DonMigs85

Went to bed last night with my phone at 95%, was set to play an hour of music and the alarm to go off at 7.

Woke up and it's at 35%!?!?!? This has never happened before. What in the hell? I go to the battery stats and it just says "Android System" is what was sucking my battery. Then when I'm out today though it holds it's charge pretty well.

Super odd, something must have been running in the background. Thinking I might just reset my phone completely, only open the apps I need during the night (music/alarm) and then throw it in airplane mode. I really hope my battery isn't fucked.

Does it use a Qualcomm SoC? Try the Snapdragon Battery Guru from the Play Store.
Signing out of Google +, restarting the phone then signing back into it may also help

reKon

Banned
Black edition of the S4 looks better than the S5:
gsmarena_001.jpg

Samsung designer's are not improving

Tonza

Got my Nexus 5 last week to replace my HTC One X and I really like it. So smooth experience.

I did change to ART and it made the initial load of my Unity game blazingly fast. However, Im not sure should I still stick with it as I think debugging on dalvik is more useful. (as it is what is currently used.)

wilflare

Do you mean on the web site? This can happen for me if you have other android devices that it's installed on under the same account.

yes on the website.. and I only have one device :/

--- on a separate note. is there a way to make Google Search not search in my local google domain? the option disappeared ><

jokkir

I remember when Samsung said they'd improve the design of the S5 because of criticism of their flagships being cheap feeling.

hahahahahaha

Talon

Sorry what I ment was that they can't make that assumption if they never held the phone in their hands.
I played around with both devices over the weekend, and it's an improvement from the standpoint of not feeling sticky. On the flipside, it's pretty obviously plastic, so the fake leather thing feels pretty crappy.

It's gripper but feels just as cheap.

Here comes Faceless.

tino

Banned
I played around with both devices over the weekend, and it's an improvement from the standpoint of not feeling sticky. On the flipside, it's pretty obviously plastic, so the fake leather thing feels pretty crappy.

Here comes Faceless.

Are you talking about S4 or S5? People put on a case anyway. I don't see the point either way.

Emitan

I remember when Samsung said they'd improve the design of the S5 because of criticism of their flagships being cheap feeling.

hahahahahaha

Uh the S5 feels really nice when you hold it on your hands. never touched an S4 but I love how the S5 feels.

Here comes Faceless.
I was saying that same thing. I need an all new HTC One (M8) because it feels so great on the outside, [in the spring/fall, summer it carries too much heat and winter it feels frigid] and I don't care if the insides are low spec trash, it still has the smallest battery, has tons of wasted space on the front, is borderline unrepairable [good thing they have that replacement guarantee] and the power button is still in a position that no competent designer of a 5" mobile handset would use. It may not take great photos but it sure looks good in them.

reKon

Banned
I was saying that same thing. I need an all new HTC One (M8) because it feels so great on the outside, [in the spring/fall, summer it carries too much heat and winter it feels frigid] and I don't care if the insides are low spec trash, it still has the smallest battery, has tons of wasted space on the front, is borderline unrepairable [good thing they have that replacement guarantee] and the power button is still in a position that no competent designer of a 5" mobile handset would use. It may not take great photos but it sure looks good in them.

wow, haha... talk about having a chip on your shoulder...

Ocho

Tell me more about the low spec trash. I'm genuinely interested in what is bad. You mostly speaking about the camera?

mturco

Well you could also argue that people don't think twice about putting cases on phones because the phones themselves are ugly anyway. I know I see a lot more iPhones outside of cases than most other types of phones and that's because they actually look nice to begin with.

Even aside from that though, saying "just put a case on it" is a pretty sad excuse for having a poor hardware design.

mturco

I've been thinking long and hard about a Chromecast but my issue is playing back local content on my PC without transcoding, re-encoding, or being limited to 720p. I love my current setup (just a long HDMI cable connecting my PC to my TV) but that won't really work out at my new place.

Do you mean having to manually convert stuff? Because no, you won't need to worry about that. It will transcode it as it streams it but, I mean, who cares? I've been using Plex for years and it's amazing. They have apps for everything imaginable too (Android, iOS, Roku, Windows, Mac, browser, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom