• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean having to manually convert stuff? Because no, you won't need to worry about that. It will transcode it as it streams it but, I mean, who cares? I've been using Plex for years and it's amazing. They have apps for everything imaginable too (Android, iOS, Roku, Windows, Mac, browser, etc).

After using PS3 media server for a long while and all the issues that came with it, transcoding is something I don't want to deal with ever again.

I tried to encrypt my tablet and it just restarts it without going through the encryption process. Does anyone else had that problem and know how to solve it?

I have a 2013 Nexus 7 and I am on the latest firmware with Google Now Launcher.

PensOwl

Banned
I've been thinking long and hard about a Chromecast but my issue is playing back local content on my PC without transcoding, re-encoding, or being limited to 720p. I love my current setup (just a long HDMI cable connecting my PC to my TV) but that won't really work out at my new place.

The Chromecast is great, but when it comes to playing local content, you're going to want an ethernet port, especially if you're targeting 1080p.

mturco

After using PS3 media server for a long while and all the issues that came with it, transcoding is something I don't want to deal with ever again.

Well it's been flawless for me on Plex so I would at least try it before writing it off if I were you. Just install the server and then stream it through the browser on another computer or something to try it out without buying the app.

Well you could also argue that people don't think twice about putting cases on phones because the phones themselves are ugly anyway. I know I see a lot more iPhones outside of cases than most other types of phones and that's because they actually look nice to begin with.

Even aside from that though, saying "just put a case on it" is a pretty sad excuse for having a poor hardware design.

i never see those phones naked. well, except the 5c...

mturco

i never see those phones naked. well, except the 5c...

Really? I see tons of iPhone 4's and 5's without cases. Don't get me wrong though I see more with than without cases. Point is: hardware design does matter. You can't say the iPhone's (or really any of Apple's products) success has nothing to do with its design. And I say this having never owned even a single Apple product.

AndyD

aka andydumi

The advantage of the PS3 server was that it was far more stable at 1080p due to the ethernet bandwidth. However the advantage of Plex and Chromcast is that it can play just about anything transparently, no need to worry about transcoding details. But you lose that high bandwidth stability of the ethernet cord.

Really? I see tons of iPhone 4's and 5's without cases. Don't get me wrong though I see more with than without cases. Point is: hardware design does matter. You can't say the iPhone's (or really any of Apple's products) success has nothing to do with its design. And I say this having never owned even a single Apple product.

i've seen half a dozen Galaxy Megas... all being used by women.

I tried out that Themer app and damn is it nice. Wanted to switch things up with my N4 and got it looking real nice with the popular Tiled theme. Recommended.

Cipherr

Im sure it does matter do a degree, but Samsung makes some of the ugliest smartphones in existence, but sells overall more smartphones than anyone else, that means design doesn't matter nearly as much as one would assume.

Im sure it does matter do a degree, but Samsung makes some of the ugliest smartphones in existence, but sells overall more smartphones than anyone else, that means design doesn't matter nearly as much as one would assume.

... or ... they make beautiful phones and people buy them for their amazing design as mobile handsets.

wilflare

Currently have a note 2 and switching providers soon so I'm looking for a good phone with a good camera. Might have to go with the s5 since the HTC one M8 supposedly doesn't havea great camera. How do the note 3 and g2 compare?

hmm the Note3 and G2 are two different types of phone.
the Note3 is a Phablet. I personally use it and I got used to the large size in no time (every other phone feels too small now) Battery Life is awesome

the G2 is your normal sized phone. It has one of the best battery life thus far and it's a very recommended phone around here.

but if you want a normal sized phone and a good camera, wait for the S5. I tried its camera and it's amazing!

Well it's been flawless for me on Plex so I would at least try it before writing it off if I were you. Just install the server and then stream it through the browser on another computer or something to try it out without buying the app.

I don't get this... I need Plex (on my PC? or Android) to stream to my PS3?

Cipherr

... or ... they make beautiful phones and people buy them for their amazing design as mobile handsets.

iXvBj5yggHGOA.gif

Quasar

I've been thinking long and hard about a Chromecast but my issue is playing back local content on my PC without transcoding, re-encoding, or being limited to 720p. I love my current setup (just a long HDMI cable connecting my PC to my TV) but that won't really work out at my new place.

That's why I've been hoping to see OEMS to bring out some GoogleCast devices, that support more formats natively/have gigabit. Not that I'm finding Plexes transcoding of my BluRay rips down to 12 megabit streams for Chromecast as terrible.

markot

Banned
The S View cover is quite crapulent. Its always way to dark cause it covers up the ambient light sensorrrrrrrrrrr.

How do I stop it doing that?

markot

Banned
I dont want to adjust my brightness alllllll the time. Buttttt, why does it have a sensor if it doesnt just up the brightness for s view? It does it for cameraaaa!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thinking about buying a G2. They're pretty cheap on eBay right now.

Define pretty cheap. I mean in theory for it to be worth it you'd have to find something cheaper than the N5 since it's virtually the same hardware minus the back touch stuff.

MarkusRJR

So the only legitimate solution for my volume issues (too loud on lowest setting throug headphones) is to root my phone, install xposed, and then use the XVolume module to add more notches to the volume bar.

If I root my phone however, I lose out on OTA updates. If I were to unroot my device after altering the volume bar, would the changes stick? Or am I basically fucked?

Groof

So the only legitimate solution for my volume issues (too loud on lowest setting throug headphones) is to root my phone, install xposed, and then use the XVolume module to add more notches to the volume bar.

If I root my phone however, I lose out on OTA updates. If I were to unroot my device after altering the volume bar, would the changes stick? Or am I basically fucked?

What device are you on?

Emitan

A day or two ago heard a rumor that the S5 might be launching early because of the early release in Korea. Yesterday someone on Reddit said theirs shipped. Could be an early april fool's joke though.

Thinking about buying a G2. They're pretty cheap on eBay right now.

Do it.

I had the G2 prior to the Xperia Z1 and it pretty much outperform the Z1 on everything. Battery last way longer even with the same battery size. The camera is the best Android camera I've use, it takes better pictures than the Z1. The only thing is the UI is kinda all over the place, Alot of function like Touchwiz but the color scheme is less loud.
The screen destroys the Z1.

reKon

Banned
Do it.

I had the G2 prior to the Xperia Z1 and it pretty much outperform the Z1 on everything. Battery last way longer even with the same battery size. The camera is the best Android camera I've use, it takes better pictures than the Z1. The only thing is the UI is kinda all over the place, Alot of function like Touchwiz but the color scheme is less loud.
The screen destroys the Z1.

If only there was a Google play edition

Mrcapcom

Hey guys got a app question anyone know of a app thats like the Samsung Group Play app but for non Samsung devices I.E Nexus 7 2013?

PaulLFC

Is there a way to force Android to find an update (without flashing it manually)? I was having trouble installing an OTA update, so I wiped the cache, and now it's saying the phone's up to date when it obviously isn't.

Does it seriously only allow you to update when the system decides you can? The check for update button seems to be pointless if so.

VoxPop

I must say HTC did a brilliant job with Sense 6. Everything is so much cleaner and pleasing to the eye compared to Sense 5 (which was great in its own right). Other manufacturers have a lot of catching up to do.

Helvetica Neue Light for my entire phone just made it feel new. New Blinkfeed is lovely as well.

Xperia T2 Ultra. Best mobile display on the market. Even at just 720p it outclasses basically every other display. Best contrast, best viewing angles and best colour reproduction. It's got a better screen than the Z Ultra, Z2, One (2013), S4/S5 and G2. Unbelievable quality. Such a weird decision by Sony to put a great screen like this on a mid-range device that will sell for $399/€349. It's not even being released in the UK.

The decisions taken by Sony continue to baffle me. I really don't understand why they can't get the same quality screen in 1080p 8" and make a Z2 Tablet compact. Or even use this same supplier for the bloody Z2 (and while that's a great display, the T2U screen is noticeably better). Honestly, I don't know how decisions get made there, nothing they do makes even an ounce of sense.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know how to find previous paintings used in Muzei? Saw one I liked but cant remember the name.

MarkusRJR

I don't understand Sony. They had the Z1 on all of the Canadian carriers, and now they're making the Z2 exclusive to Bell. First of all, Bell is the third place carrier in Canada. Second of all, the Z Ultra (the prior Bell exclusive) bombed immensely.

God damn it, I wanted the Z2.

Cipherr

Xperia T2 Ultra. Best mobile display on the market. Even at just 720p it outclasses basically every other display. Best contrast, best viewing angles and best colour reproduction. It's got a better screen than the Z Ultra, Z2, One (2013), S4/S5 and G2. Unbelievable quality. Such a weird decision by Sony to put a great screen like this on a mid-range device that will sell for $399/€349. It's not even being released in the UK.

The decisions taken by Sony continue to baffle me. I really don't understand why they can't get the same quality screen in 1080p 8" and make a Z2 Tablet compact. Or even use this same supplier for the bloody Z2 (and while that's a great display, the T2U screen is noticeably better). Honestly, I don't know how decisions get made there, nothing they do makes even an ounce of sense.

Display Mate just rated the S5's screen the best of any smartphone

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S5_ShootOut_1.htm

Best Smartphone Display: Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy S5 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It has a long list of new records for best Smartphone display performance including: Highest Brightness, Lowest Reflectance, Highest Color Accuracy, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle. The Galaxy S5 has raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch – an impressive achievement for OLED technology!

I haven't had a chance to go over the entire article since Im still working, but I put this on my list to read earlier today. Those are some bold claims if true, the brightness in particular.

Xyber

Even though I really don't like how cheap the back of the S5 looks, I kinda want the phone. Right now I think it's between that and the G2 for me. Both phones have some minor stuff that makes it hard for me to decide which one to go for.

The buttons on the back of the G2 feels a bit weird of the little I tried in a store. Not the perfect way to test it out, but I feel like that button placement isn't that great. Do you get used to it, or will it always feel a bit off? The back of the phone is also a fingerprint magnet as well from what I've seen.

The S5 on the other hand looks a bit cheap. I'd like to see one for myself before I make a final judgement on the looks, but the white one seems to work better with the pattern on the back. Not a fan of touchwiz, but I guess you can fix that by getting a different launcher, right? And if so, will you still have access to the features like the fingerprint scanner and stuff?

I've only been using iPhones so far, so all this Android stuff is new to me. :p

Even though I really don't like how cheap the back of the S5 looks, I kinda want the phone. Right now I think it's between that and the G2 for me. Both phones have some minor stuff that makes it hard for me to decide which one to go for.

The buttons on the back of the G2 feels a bit weird of the little I tried in a store. Not the perfect way to test it out, but I feel like that button placement isn't that great. Do you get used to it, or will it always feel a bit off? The back of the phone is also a fingerprint magnet as well from what I've seen.

The S5 on the other hand looks a bit cheap. I'd like to see one for myself before I make a final judgement on the looks, but the white one seems to work better with the pattern on the back. Not a fan of touchwiz, but I guess you can fix that by getting a different launcher, right? And if so, will you still have access to the features like the fingerprint scanner and stuff?

I've only been using iPhones so far, so all this Android stuff is new to me. :p

wait until September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom