• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

I don't see the point in being overly impressed with how the phone looks when it's going to be in a case all the time.

Also IMO the white S5 looks really nice /fangirl

Even though I really don't like how cheap the back of the S5 looks, I kinda want the phone. Right now I think it's between that and the G2 for me. Both phones have some minor stuff that makes it hard for me to decide which one to go for.

The buttons on the back of the G2 feels a bit weird of the little I tried in a store. Not the perfect way to test it out, but I feel like that button placement isn't that great. Do you get used to it, or will it always feel a bit off? The back of the phone is also a fingerprint magnet as well from what I've seen.

The S5 on the other hand looks a bit cheap. I'd like to see one for myself before I make a final judgement on the looks, but the white one seems to work better with the pattern on the back. Not a fan of touchwiz, but I guess you can fix that by getting a different launcher, right? And if so, will you still have access to the features like the fingerprint scanner and stuff?

I've only been using iPhones so far, so all this Android stuff is new to me. :p

I got used to the back button of the G2 after 5mins of using it. This is a gaming forum, gamers should have some sort of dexterity :p

But seriously at this point I would get the S5 instead of the G2.... I'm actually considering the S5 over the Z2.

Xyber

I got used to the back button of the G2 after 5mins of using it. This is a gaming forum, gamers should have some sort of dexterity :p

But seriously at this point I would get the S5 instead of the G2.... I'm actually considering the S5 over the Z2.

While the age of the G2 is one of the reasons I'm more likely to go with the S5, it's not like it's a slow phone or anything. The performance different in normal use between the 2 phones would probably be pretty minimal and the bloated software on the phones is more to blame if the phone feels slow.

I've only heard good stuff about the G2 and of the little I tried it felt fast and the camera was great. Until I get to try the S5 for myself and make a final decision the S5 still is what I'm leaning towards now though.

I don't see the point in being overly impressed with how the phone looks when it's going to be in a case all the time.

Also IMO the white S5 looks really nice /fangirl

I never have and never will use a case. My 3GS looked as good as new when I sold it after 2 years, the same with my current 4S.

pariah164

Got new phone.

Now to go through the tedious process of stopping bloatware and finding a task manager to stop shit from running and wearing down the battery.

NotBacon

My uncovered iPhone 5 has a broken lock button (dust?), scratched camera lens, wonky USB port, and a minor chip on it. And I've barely dropped the thing. I'm sticking to cases.

My uncovered Droid Razr HD is in immaculate condition, and I've dropped it quite a few times...

Yeah no, that's not gonna happen. :p

but that's the most likely launch date for the 2014 mobile handset of the year.

does it even take dexterity?

that spot is a natural index finger position...

snacknuts

we all knew her
My beloved G2 went in the drink last night. =[ I'm getting a great deal on a gently used GS4 from a friend, but it's going to be a major downgrade for me.

Ocho

Can't decide between the new HTC One or the S5.

I have a Note 2. I'm kind of tired of TW and the back cover of the S5 is kind of ugly. New sense looks great and I'm planning to get a dev edition that can turn to GPE if I ever want to go full stock. However, I appreciate removable batteries and the S5 has these crazy specs (screen/camera). Anyone else in my position?

yogloo

Can't decide between the new HTC One or the S5.

I have a Note 2. I'm kind of tired of TW and the back cover of the S5 is kind of ugly. New sense looks great and I'm planning to get a dev edition that can turn to GPE if I ever want to go full stock. However, I appreciate removable batteries and the S5 has these crazy specs (screen/camera). Anyone else in my position?
S5 is one ugly mofo, but I would choose it over the HTC m8 because of the camera.

mantidor

So my Galaxy S4 was stolen. :( this is the second one that's been stolen, not to mention several S3 before, so I think I'm going to give up on end of the line phones.

I was thinking of getting back to the S3, the S4 heated up way too much, to the point it was painful to touch, and I wasn't even playing games, just browsing, and nothing like that happened to my S3s. However, I'm also exploring other brands like HTC or Xperia

But the thing is, I'm really a sucker for the best camera possible, so I am inclining for the Lumia now, and I need you guys to talk me out of leaving Android :p I really need three simple things:

Great camera.
Removable microSD
Removable battery

I don't even need 4G, 3G is fine by me for now since 4G plans are awfully expensive ver here.

I do not know much about HTCs and Xperias, and since I'm not getting the latest models I don't know if it would be a good idea to get the Xperia Z or the M8, I hate my luck with phones so I really need something not flashy.

_woLf

Has anyone ever used the bluetooth keyboards that various companies make for the S4?

I'm strongly considering moving on from my Droid 4 to the Galaxy S5 when it releases, but I'm really concerned about the lack of a physical keyboard. I was hoping there would be a Droid 5 announcement by now but it doesn't sound like that's ever going to happen, so I figured I'd get an S5 and maybe think about picking up a bluetooth keyboard/case for it.

Either way, I figure D4 up to S5 will be a huge upgrade.

TommyT

So I ditched Sprint here recently because their service during peek times was abysmal at my work and I couldn't stream anything. I switched over to T-Mobile and got an S3 from a buddy who was with them. The S3 I had with Sprint was running 4.1.2 and was great as I could do it all... however this one he had already updated to 4.3 and it seems like I'm boned.

Despite all my looking, I can't seem to find any concrete evidence or results saying that a t999 (t-mobile's version of the S3) being able to be downgraded or even rooted. Has anyone had any success with this or know of any results? XDA has people telling me it can't be done and will brick, yet others have had success... it's hit or miss.

I'm wanting to get rid of all the bloat, get some performance and battery life back, etc. Am I out of luck?

edit: nvm, was able to use a root via mrRobinson.

Tommy DJ

There's a huge difference between 5" and 7"

I think the main argument is that any phone that is larger than 5" becomes too big to be put into pockets comfortably.

Phones like the Xperia Z1 or the Galaxy Note basically dig into my leg when I sit. I think the only clothing where it doesn't do this for me is with shorts.

pariah164

why does my girlfriend keep telling me this same thing. She's not even into phones...weird.
Snf7uIV.gif

I did my first ever Rooting with my Note 2 a few days ago. Was actually pretty easy, just had to follow a step-by-step guide and it worked except for an issue with Samsung KNOX. The app I downloaded to manage my phone wouldn't work because of KNOX, but there was some workaround that I did in order to run it and deactivate KNOX for good.

I was having issues with Google Maps voice nav (wouldn't say street names) and thought I needed to do some system language changes to fix it (tried everything else). Only problem was that the apps I downloaded to make those changes didn't work because of a combination of Android 4.3 restricting access to that depth of system changes, and the Samsung KNOX.

So I finally said "fuck it" and went ahead and rooted my phone. Deactivated KNOX, got the apps working but it still didn't work. I WAS able to get the British voice to work correctly, and eventually the English voice came back when I changed the system language back and it was working accurately again. SMH

It is nice to finally get some of that Samsung and AT&T bloatware off of my phone, but other than that I'm keeping my phone pretty vanilla.

pariah164

I did my first ever Rooting with my Note 2 a few days ago. Was actually pretty easy, just had to follow a step-by-step guide and it worked except for an issue with Samsung KNOX. The app I downloaded to manage my phone wouldn't work because of KNOX, but there was some workaround that I did in order to run it and deactivate KNOX for good.

I was having issues with Google Maps voice nav (wouldn't say street names) and thought I needed to do some system language changes to fix it (tried everything else). Only problem was that the apps I downloaded to make those changes didn't work because of a combination of Android 4.3 restricting access to that depth of system changes, and the Samsung KNOX.

So I finally said "fuck it" and went ahead and rooted my phone. Deactivated KNOX, got the apps working but it still didn't work. I WAS able to get the British voice to work correctly, and eventually the English voice came back when I changed the system language back and it was working accurately again. SMH

It is nice to finally get some of that Samsung and AT&T bloatware off of my phone, but other than that I'm keeping my phone pretty vanilla.
I just got a Galaxy S4 and would love to get the Verizon bloatware off, but I'm terrified I will fuck it up so.

_woLf

To anyone getting an S5, Amazon is having pretty good sales on a ton of accessories...anyone used something like this in the past?

I'm not sure if I'll like it but I'm tempted to try it just because it's so cheap.

Avixph

To anyone getting an S5, Amazon is having pretty good sales on a ton of accessories...anyone used something like this in the past?

I'm not sure if I'll like it but I'm tempted to try it just because it's so cheap.
Don't those keys seem a little bit too crowded?

Gaaraz

Can anyone please recommend a good alternative to LogMeIn now that it's not free any more? (annoying after shelling out so much for the app...)

I've tried TeamViewer but it's absolute garbage on Android, so unresponsive on my S3 that it's practically unusable.

Thanks!

snacknuts

we all knew her
Can anyone please recommend a good alternative to LogMeIn now that it's not free any more? (annoying after shelling out so much for the app...)

I've tried TeamViewer but it's absolute garbage on Android, so unresponsive on my S3 that it's practically unusable.

Thanks!

I don't know if you can wait for something, but Google is working on a Chrome Remote Desktop app. It's in an invite-only beta right now.

Gaaraz

Oh! Thank you... I guess I can continue with TeamViewer for now and hopefully switch to that once it's active.

Funny to see so much support for TeamViewer in the comments there... I feel like I'm using a different app to everyone else!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is there an app that allows auto-login at hotspots? Mainly Starbucks/McDonalds and the like. Where I can agree to the terms once, and it then becomes more seamless?

Husker86

Oh! Thank you... I guess I can continue with TeamViewer for now and hopefully switch to that once it's active.

Funny to see so much support for TeamViewer in the comments there... I feel like I'm using a different app to everyone else!
I like Teamviewer but also really like Splashtop.

naku

If you guys have some questions about the s5 I can try my best to answer them. I cannot tell you everything, but some details as I will be using the phone for a week until its launch.

Avixph

If you guys have some questions about the s5 I can try my best to answer them. I cannot tell you everything, but some details as I will be using the phone for a week until its launch.
Are the sides as shiny as pictures make it out to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom