• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

From the app thread:

I don't know if I posted about it before but I suspect I have. My favorite password manager is Dashlane. It took me awhile to find a nice app that synced and worked with my Android stuff and OSX. If you want to try it out, PM me for a six month premium invite.

I'm about to renew my subscription. Before I do so, does anyone have any other password manager suggestions? Syncing and the app being nice is a necessity.

LastPass. It even pops up and fills in individual app login information in the latest update. It's amazing.

PaulLFC

In Google Maps is there a way to see which areas you've saved for offline access? Since it'll only cache a certain amount of data at a time ("The selected area is too large, zoom in first" message), it'd be nice to have a clear overlay of which areas are already cached. I can't seem to find the option, though.

Edit: One of the Maps help articles says there should be a black outline around any offline cached map areas, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me, unless it just takes a while to appear.

the name is as valid as the slimy feeling text in their reviews.

Hear, hear. Count me in as another who views them in the same bracket. Site might be ok for the occasional fluff piece or general news, but as far as reviews are concerned, they are untrustworthy, superficial and often heavy handed in their assessment of anything android and windows phones, compared to their i-double standards.

I’m sure many of us could recall such blatant instances in the back of our minds if we’re so inclined to waste our time, but the straw that broke the camels back for me, where I stopped trusting their views altogether was when they claimed iphone’s camera was better than Lumia’s. The fucking nerve lol. If that’s not iVerge, I don’t know what is.

LordOfChaos

I'm confused, it says the record was previously held by the iPhone 5s and was broken by the M8, yet the graph shows both the Z1C and the Note 3 being slightly more responsive than the 5S.

You are right, crappy article headline, the testing showed the Note 3 was the last record holder, also beating the 5S.

thespot84

LastPass. It even pops up and fills in individual app login information in the latest update. It's amazing.

this. prior to filling app passwords lastpass was really good but not heads above the competition. WIth app passwords lastpass is a must have. (and the feature by itself puts android way ahead of iOS since iOS simply can't do it right now)

iVerge strikes again.

vbgN8l9.jpg

Just sayin'.....

Tendo

I just got a samsung tab 12.2 and sometimes the screen kind of spazzes out and flickers a lot all over- I'm assuming this isn't a software issue and I should get it replaced?

Also - anyone have any bluetooth keyboard and case recommendationss? I'd like to get one of those cases that fits the tab and keyboard.

Ocho

I guess I like iOS since I'm also envious they have better games.

Edit: Never mind, you were proving they use Android.

Talon

The comedy of trashing on The Verge and Engadget while posting Android Police and Android Central reviews as more reliable is delicious.

This anti-Android conspiracy you're imagining doesn't exist, Faceless. Regardless of how much you like to tell yourself that it's true.

Personally, I prefer Anandtech's reviews over everyone else even if they take a bit longer due to the breadth of the reviews. Reading those fidly bits about the SoC is a guilty pleasure of mine.

the proof is in the pudding.

they can talk a good game on twitter and their podcast but when you read their website, the editorial slant is obvious.

pretty sure i'm the one who talks about AnandTech and GSMArena reviews and RIP 30 day challenges from Aaron ex-PhoneDog guy.

Android Police is awesome for news and investigative journalism.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
the proof is in the pudding.

they can talk a good game on twitter and their podcast but when you read their website, the editorial slant is obvious.

I tend to apply occams razor.

Is it that they deliberately lie across the website, twitter and podcasts that Android is their preferred phone OS?

Or that one reviewer wasn't a fan of the S5's finish and software bloat?

It's a tricky one right?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is fantastic. I want to read the response email.

I was about to do my own research but then I said fuck it, it's their business. They can sell me on their product. Here's my email:

It is almost that time to renew my premium subscription. As such, it’s an opportune time to look at other password managers. I’m taking a close look at Lastpass. What does Dashlane offer that Lastpass does not? As a consumer, what justifies the more than double price of Lastpass?

I’m not opposed to paying more for a premium product. But that additional cost should be justified. As a company in the business of password managers, please sell me on continuing a premium subscription rather than moving onto a comparable, more affordable product.
I'm currently a premium subscriber so I have premium support. I hope to wake up to a response in the morning.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Speaking of, what happened to him? I loathe the new kid.
Same. I really do try to give him a chance, but his voice and style of doing videos are just awful. Not to mention that he tends to get little details wrong here and there. I'm still subscribed to their channel, but I've been thinking of unsubscribing. Aaron was so much better.

On the other hand, I've been really happy and satisfied with Mobile Tech Reviews from Lisa. Love watching her long, informative reviews.

Does anyone have a game controller for android?

I see mostly controllers where you clip the phone on top, looks ugly and not practical to me.

I saw this for iPhone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnt-1kpG2Tw&

Wondering if anything similar for Android?
I'm unsure what makes a garish, clunky accessory that works with only 2 specific phone models, is too big to fit in anything other than a bag, and has poor quality buttons more practical than clipping on any phone/tablet to the controller of your choice. But that's just me, I guess you could check out one of those moga things.

Quasar

this. prior to filling app passwords lastpass was really good but not heads above the competition. WIth app passwords lastpass is a must have. (and the feature by itself puts android way ahead of iOS since iOS simply can't do it right now)

Yeah. With app passwords, I was convinced to pay, whereas before I used clunky bookmarklets. Its pretty much solved a big issue for me in terms of passwords and using hard passwords (that being that I couldn't use hard passwords on services that I access with apps).

Of course now my issue is that I use an ipad as well as an android phone, and lastpass simply can't offer the same thing there.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Do any Android-compatible controllers have a Saturn (or even better, Saturn NiGHTS pad) layout to them? I am definitely looking at playing fighting games on the road, so 4 face buttons will never, ever, ever do it.

rouge-Z1-Z2-S5-1000x631.jpg

rouge-Z1-Z2-S5-penche-1000x363.jpg

I think we need to put DisplayMate on the ignore list. Anand also said there is significant colour degradation and distortion at a wider viewing angle. Nothing I have seen when using an S5 shows that it has the best display in any mobile. In comparison with the S4 it is a bit brighter at maximum brightness and the whites are slightly warmer, but the off angle viewing is poor and any decent level of brightness juices the battery according to the dude who got it (and is now returning it and going back to his S4).

markot

Banned
I often use my phone at that angle for when I....

Have a broken hand and cant hold it properly?

Its not like a screen where you actually view it from many angles. Phones generally have one angle, front on and a few degrees to either side.

Groof

Its not like a screen where you actually view it from many angles. Phones generally have one angle, front on and a few degrees to either side.
I can use my phone like that when I don't feel like picking it up and leave it on the table. I don't think I'm alone in doing that, so a good viewing angle from that view is pretty nice to have.
And I think the problem zomg had was that they had stated it was the very best display in any smartphone, while it clearly isn't.

I can use my phone like that when I don't feel like picking it up and leave it on the table. I don't think I'm alone in doing that, so a good viewing angle from that view is pretty nice to have.
And I think the problem zomg had was that they had stated it was the very best display in any smartphone, while it clearly isn't.

It's being beaten by the Z2 there, and the Z2 doesn't have the best mobile display on the market IMO, the T2 Ultra does. The Z2 and M8 are a close second, but the T2 Ultra is the best. Really amazing display. The S5 isn't even in the same category as those three though. It's worse than the S4 IMO, the brightness gains have been made at the expense of battery life which is not really a gain worth having and the colour temperature is a bit too warm now and it seems like they missed the 6500K mark completely.

Tommy DJ

That's the excuse people had for old Sony devices. Having used one, the colour shifting is actually really annoying because a lot of the time, I actually do use my phone with one hand in slightly awkward angles while doing something else.

I dunno if it's only a problem with steep angles but it's disappointing there there has been a degradation of colour stability.

Talon

Off-angles absolutely matter for phones. Televisions are static screens. Phones are not.

Simply, that angle they show there is pretty common considering your phone might be on your desk and you get a notification that you want to quickly read without picking it up.

markot

Banned
Off-angles absolutely matter for phones. Televisions are static screens. Phones are not.

Simply, that angle they show there is pretty common considering your phone might be on your desk and you get a notification that you want to quickly read without picking it up.
Well... No. People sit at all angles watching TV and you can't move it easy.

Phones.... Not so much.

kehs

Banned

You've never used your phone without picking it up on your desk?

I do all the time, and the n4 viewing angles pissed the shit out of me when I was using it.

markot

Banned
Never nearly at the angle shown.

I don't care about the s5 or the Sony, don't know what argument you guys are talking about.

Just not a big deal from the angle in the photo to me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It can't be the best if it is lacking in areas others are doing better. Best would include beating the competition in every single area, even on extreme off angles.

Not really. If it is ahead of the competition in 99% of the usage scenarios, it does not matter if it is behind in 1%.

That said, they always test these with 100% brightness. Yet I know no one who actually uses their phone on 100% as they are blinding. Does the color degradation change depending on brightness?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Good Lord does the new dolphin suck. Ugly and they made it an extra click to get to your bookmarks. I am either going to dump it entirely or switch to an old version.

Futureman

That said, they always test these with 100% brightness. Yet I know no one who actually uses their phone on 100% as they are blinding. Does the color degradation change depending on brightness?

I do sometimes outside. But in those cases I don't care about color reproduction (well really I never do on a cell phone honestly).

-PXG-

Threi converted me to the church of AOSP browser ages ago. I haven't looked back since.

rouge-Z1-Z2-S5-1000x631.jpg

rouge-Z1-Z2-S5-penche-1000x363.jpg

I think we need to put DisplayMate on the ignore list. Anand also said there is significant colour degradation and distortion at a wider viewing angle. Nothing I have seen when using an S5 shows that it has the best display in any mobile. In comparison with the S4 it is a bit brighter at maximum brightness and the whites are slightly warmer, but the off angle viewing is poor and any decent level of brightness juices the battery according to the dude who got it (and is now returning it and going back to his S4).

Dat Super AMOLED.

I love my S4. I would use my N7 more at home but the touch screen glitch REALLY ruins the experience. I'm too lazy to attempt to fix it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I do sometimes outside. But in those cases I don't care about color reproduction (well really I never do on a cell phone honestly).

Right, I do as well. Most people have it on some sort of dynamic adjustment on a daily basis.

Yet the majority of these tests seem done on full brightness indoors which is not a realistic use scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom