• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I was about to do my own research but then I said fuck it, it's their business. They can sell me on their product. Here's my email:

I'm currently a premium subscriber so I have premium support. I hope to wake up to a response in the morning.

Response:

Hello,

Thanks for checking.

Besides the fact Dashlane is a universal app, here are some advantages of Dashlane over LastPass:

Secure password sharing. Rates all passwords and helps replace weak ones. Keeps a record of online purchases. Security breach alerts.

And our encryption is better. For more information click here.

Also, you can check out our great review in the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/06/t...ember-them-until-now.html?smid=pl-share&_r=2&
What do you Lastpass users have to say about that? Dashlane is clearly better looking than Lastpass and it has feature parity. But what else?

Xun

I naively underestimated the threat of Malware on Android, and I managed to download some with what was a high rated Tetris game (which has since been removed) from the Play Store.

What's the best free Malware remover?

Luckily I don't have my phone hooked up to anything too important, but I take it I should just change my passwords on sites I've visited? I'm not entirely sure what else needs to be done.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Response:

What do you Lastpass users have to say about that? Dashlane is clearly better looking than Lastpass and it has feature parity. But what else?

I think the looks are a matter of debate. And there is more or less feature parity as Lastpass also does all those 2.0 things. I am not sure what they mean by Lastpass being difficult to fill in CC numbers, as it works like a form.

But Lastpass is ultimately cheaper. Both free for desktop, but where you really get powerful is when you get to the smartphone and that's where the value exists. Lastpass' popup mobile method is fantastic. Dashlane requires you to use their own keyboard, which is a non starter with most people who love the google keyboard, swiftkey, swype and so forth.

So in the end I would still give Lastpass the edge in terms of functionality and value, although Dash may have the looks.

Groof

Is there any way to get rid of the huge camera bar in the new update? Seriously takes up like a 3rd of the screen now.

No because it ensures you see the full 4:3 image your sensor is seeing.

Which makes me wonder how it works with phones that have 16:9 sensors.

Toki767

I just realized that my G2 camera ignores auto-rotation being on or off on the phone and still auto-rotates. The Google Camera app doesn't do the same thing.

Groof

I just realized that my G2 camera ignores auto-rotation being on or off on the phone and still auto-rotates. The Google Camera app doesn't do the same thing.

The stock camera app used to do that as well (and YouTube for that matter), but I think it disappeared with KitKat. It sucks because I always keep my rotation locked and sometimes going into the camera app I forget that.

Toki767

The stock camera app used to do that as well (and YouTube for that matter), but I think it disappeared with KitKat. It sucks because I always keep my rotation locked and sometimes going into the camera app I forget that.

Yeah, that's annoying. I guess I'll stick with the G2 camera app. It has more options anyway.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think the looks are a matter of debate. And there is more or less feature parity as Lastpass also does all those 2.0 things. I am not sure what they mean by Lastpass being difficult to fill in CC numbers, as it works like a form.

But Lastpass is ultimately cheaper. Both free for desktop, but where you really get powerful is when you get to the smartphone and that's where the value exists. Lastpass' popup mobile method is fantastic. Dashlane requires you to use their own keyboard, which is a non starter with most people who love the google keyboard, swiftkey, swype and so forth.

So in the end I would still give Lastpass the edge in terms of functionality and value, although Dash may have the looks.

After much consideration, I agree. And importing all my data from Dashlane was easy. I'm in with you, brother. Lastpass it is. I will deal with the fugly, I guess.

Groof

Yeah, that's annoying. I guess I'll stick with the G2 camera app. It has more options anyway.

Yeah that's smarted I would think. Better integration and more functionality. While the Google Camera looks nice and works as it should, it is severely lacking in options.
Hell, this latest update even removed some things.

Toki767

Yeah that's smarted I would think. Better integration and more functionality. While the Google Camera looks nice and works as it should, it is severely lacking in options.
Hell, this latest update even removed some things.

Yeah, the interface is really sleek though which is what I like about it. Am I correct in thinking though that the Google Camera app probably wouldn't take advantage of OIS?

Groof

Yeah, the interface is really sleek though which is what I like about it. Am I correct in thinking though that the Google Camera app probably wouldn't take advantage of OIS?

The OIS in the G2 is hardware based, so it's inside the camera module. It should work no matter what app you use.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Been off Android for a bit but that will change when my contract expires here in a few weeks. Another M8 vs GS5 question, which device is more suited for custom roms these days?

Esqueleto

Banned
Been off Android for a bit but that will change when my contract expires here in a few weeks. Another M8 vs GS5 question, which device is more suited for custom roms these days?

They barely came out so it's hard to say how they will be supported, but the M8 already has a GPE version so that makes it more likely to get community support as long as the bootloader isn't locked.

I can't get gaf to load on my ipad and android device when I disbale mobile mode. The only thing that comes up is the ad banner. Anyone else run into this?

JoeFu

Banned
You can enable exposure control in the settings (swipe from left side of screen -> press cog in the corner).
Also more modes seem to be coming, even seemingly a fully manual control mode: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...e-wallpaper-and-more-hiding-in-google-camera/

okay sweet, didn't even see the cog there. Also nice to hear about the other shooting modes.

LOL THE VIDEO MODE TELLS YOU TO NOT RECORD IN PORTRAIT
jUdq0MGzR79t.png

The little icon in the middle animates and it goes away when you go into landscape

Gvaz

Banned
It looks cool but the UI is too big and for some reason I can't have it on my N3

Scuze me, my N3 is better than the S4.

thespot84

New camera is weird. There's like no more settings at all other than HDR and Flash.

maybe they're trying to get people to instead shoot in something RAW-esque and then have autoawesome do the heavy lifting

EDIT: the fake bokeh with the lense blur option is kinda neat too

CronoShot

So the new camera's Lens Blur setting is basically the M8's duo camera with refocusing after the shot and everything.

It doesn't work all that well, but it's fun to mess around with.

has anyone seen a dude with a Galaxy Mega?

in the past 6 months or so, i've seen about a dozen Galaxy Megas (and a HTC One Max) and they were always being used by a woman.

wassupwitdat!?

Esqueleto

Banned
So the new camera's Lens Blur setting is basically the M8's duo camera with refocusing after the shot and everything.

It doesn't work all that well, but it's fun to mess around with.
I find it to work really well as long as you do it slowly and the object isn't moving. The blur does look a bit funny to me though.

cjkeats

has anyone seen a dude with a Galaxy Mega?

in the past 6 months or so, i've seen about a dozen Galaxy Megas (and a HTC One Max) and they were always being used by a woman.

wassupwitdat!?
I've only sold a couple at work. One to an old lady who's sight was bad and wanted the giant ass screen, and one to a giant dude with huge thumbs. Get a lot of "that's not a phone is it?" from people looking at the demo.
I kinda want one. Wish it had better specs. If it ever returns as a Mega 2 I might just on it.

Xun

I naively underestimated the threat of Malware on Android, and I managed to download some with what was a high rated Tetris game (which has since been removed) from the Play Store.

What's the best free Malware remover?

Luckily I don't have my phone hooked up to anything too important, but I take it I should just change my passwords on sites I've visited? I'm not entirely sure what else needs to be done.
I know I was an idiot, but no one?

kehs

Banned
The play store has a malware scanner built in and scans your device, but you always run Avira, McAffee. Most big name anti virus people from PC have one on android.

reKon

Banned
I had no idea that the higher end Galaxy Tablets were nice. Seem be the best in everything other than battery life and maybe software. i guess there not as popular because of the price? Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 = $370 still...

Samsung, as nice of a tablet that is, you're not going to price similar an iPad Mini 2 and beat it out.

SimleuqiR

I get an error trying to setup the Chrome extension for remote desktop in Windows. Says it can't start the service or something.

Same here. I gave up on it.

Did you guys get a prompt from the Windows firewall (or any other firewall you have installed)?

Also read this:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chrome/YMsTisnimlY

And this:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chrome/2kql1H9Rbk4

I've installed it in at least 6 PCs without any issues.

Holy fuck is HTCs software on the Mac ever incompetent. A whole bunch of dates in my Calendar shifted a day behind after I imported them from my iPhone. Fuuuuuuuu

Edit: Now when I try to sync it again and ensure I have "replace the content on your HTC phone with the content from your iPhone" it just keeps both of the dates anyways and now i've got double the dates plus some of them are one day behind. woo

Excited for tomorrow. Switching from AT&T to T-Mobile and trading in my Galaxy S4 for a Nexus 5. Stock Android is also a win! : D My twin did it earlier today and is so glad he did it.

terrier

Did you guys get a prompt from the Windows firewall (or any other firewall you have installed)?

Also read this:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chrome/YMsTisnimlY

And this:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chrome/2kql1H9Rbk4

I've installed it in at least 6 PCs without any issues.

i am also having the same issue.
I will check those when at home, but meanwhile i found some info in a spanish site, they say some issues are due to the language of the os, since Chrome looks for 'administrators' group, and if you happen to have windows in other languages, spanish for example, you will have your user as 'administrador'. The solution is to create a group called administrators and include the current user in it.
I hope i did explain myself ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom