• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leng jai

Just got my S5 last night. People really exaggerate about the size. It hardly feels any bigger than my Iphone 4s in terms of holding.

What? All the top-end Android phones post 2013 are significantly larger to hold than the 3.5inch 4S. Not sure how anyone could claim otherwise.

SimleuqiR

i am also having the same issue.
I will check those when at home, but meanwhile i found some info in a spanish site, they say some issues are due to the language of the os, since Chrome looks for 'administrators' group, and if you happen to have windows in other languages, spanish for example, you will have your user as 'administrador'. The solution is to create a group called administrators and include the current user in it.
I hope i did explain myself ^^

Entendido.

Wait, are people saying this feature is a game changer?
To me the game changer is that Google finally decoupled the App from the OS and the fact that there are more features coming down the pipeline: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...e-wallpaper-and-more-hiding-in-google-camera/

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
So I upgraded my Nexus 5 to Google Camera today, I'm still on the fence about the move.. it does seem more legit in terms of quality and such... but it could totally be placebo.

Haven't messed with the effects yet, though.

SimleuqiR

So I upgraded my Nexus 5 to Google Camera today, I'm still on the fence about the move.. it does seem more legit in terms of quality and such... but it could totally be placebo.

Haven't messed with the effects yet, though.

It's snappier for sure. The best thing is that they don't have to wait for an OS revision to refine it (make it better). You don't have to be stuck with a "stock" shitty camera app for months on end.

Calendar got an update?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...ou-join-video-calls-in-hangouts-apk-download/

What’s New
Location suggestions of nearby places
Video conferencing support via Hangouts

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The new camera app makes the Nexus 5 camera so, so much better. It focuses super fast now, and works much better now.

Would have been nice to have this a week ago for PAX. =/

Oh well, loved almost all the pics I took. Upgrade from my GN camera was massive. Night and day from the pics I took last year.

PAX East 2013:

IMG_20130324_103916.jpg

IMG_20130323_113012.jpg

IMG_20130322_110026.jpg

PAX East 2014:

IMG_20140413_113702.jpg

IMG_20140413_140359.jpg

IMG_20140413_114154.jpg

I mean I'm starting to have some kind of PTSD looking at those old pics. Jesus.

Xyber

I got small hands yet I could easily one hand my new phone. I had the iPhone 4 for years.I guess I just hold it differently.

Play with the phone for a few hours and then go back to the iPhone. It's like night and day.

I didn't either think that it felt super big when I switched from 4S to S5, but when I went back I really noticed how small the iPhone was.

longdi

Banned
rouge-Z1-Z2-S5-1000x631.jpg

rouge-Z1-Z2-S5-penche-1000x363.jpg

I think we need to put DisplayMate on the ignore list. Anand also said there is significant colour degradation and distortion at a wider viewing angle. Nothing I have seen when using an S5 shows that it has the best display in any mobile. In comparison with the S4 it is a bit brighter at maximum brightness and the whites are slightly warmer, but the off angle viewing is poor and any decent level of brightness juices the battery according to the dude who got it (and is now returning it and going back to his S4).

I think S5, One M8 and Z2 all have really really good screens, imo up there with Apple's best.
S5 has really good viewing angles, and strong black levels in the night.
M8 has the most contrasty screen.
Z2 has the best colors.
I love to see displaymate review Z2 and M8 screens too.

Sony will have tweak the default white balance, which has too much reds. It is good for videos but against a white back ground, things look un-natural. To fairly judged Z2 screen, Sony should note to reviewers to turn up the green and blue white balance.

longdi

Banned
What? All the top-end Android phones post 2013 are significantly larger to hold than the 3.5inch 4S. Not sure how anyone could claim otherwise.

Have you held the likes of S4, S5, M8, M7, G2?
These are 4.7-5.1 inch phones but still extremely comfortable to hold and use.

3.5inch is too small now dood.

wilflare

a long shot... but anyone has any suggestions?

still trying to find a phone that has a screen size (with its bezel) similar to a Vita so I can buy its Tempered Glass Screen Protector for my Vita

used one on my Note3... Glass Screen Protectors are just AMAZING

Xyber

I've rooted my phone and installed an app that let me change the clock speed of the CPU for when it's locked and setup different performance levels depending on how much battery there is left. So far it seems to be doing a nice job, I haven't checked exactly how much it drained before but I think it was like 2-3 times more in roughly the same amount of time.

Xun

The play store has a malware scanner built in and scans your device, but you always run Avira, McAffee. Most big name anti virus people from PC have one on android.
I did manage to delete the Malware before I installed Malwarebytes, but out of curiosity how much information was likely taken from me? Is it worth changing all of my passwords for sites, or is that not really necessary?

Considering I'm running Gingerbread on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Mini), perhaps it's the Gingermaster trojan?

I downloaded the game ages ago on the Play Store, and I even made sure to check for reviews before downloading it... so it's frustrating to say the least.

Esqueleto

Banned
I did manage to delete the Malware before I installed Malwarebytes, but out of curiosity how much information was likely taken from me? Is it worth changing all of my passwords for sites, or is that not really necessary?

Considering I'm running Gingerbread on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Mini), perhaps it's the Gingermaster trojan?

I downloaded the game ages ago on the Play Store, and I even made sure to check for reviews before downloading it... so it's frustrating to say the least.

It depends what the malware did. If you downloaded it a long time ago, and you haven't noticed anything weird with any of your accounts(bank, facebook,etc), you're probably fine, but if the malware was keeping track of all your inputs(something like DDlight), I would change all your passwords. Can you say what the app and developer name was?

Xun

It depends what the malware did. If you downloaded it a long time ago, and you haven't noticed anything weird with any of your accounts(bank, facebook,etc), you're probably fine, but if the malware was keeping track of all your inputs(something like DDlight), I would change all your passwords. Can you say what the app and developer name was?
TetrisBattle by Doozii.

I'm pretty sure it was rated 3/5 stars when I downloaded it (back in late 2012), and I only just noticed it was missing from the Play Store the other day.

After a bit of investigating I noticed this, and then started to panic.

I've not noticed anything, no. The only accounts that I've logged into have been my Facebook account, Twitter, GAF and an alternative email account (I've never used my "proper" email). I change my passwords on a regular basis so it's not an issue changing them again, but it's still a cause for concern.

Nothing was detected on Malwarebytes when I deleted it, so is it safe to assume it is gone from my phone completely, or should I format it?

Esqueleto

Banned
TetrisBattle by Doozii.

I'm pretty sure it was rated 3/5 stars when I downloaded it (back in late 2012), and I only just noticed it was missing from the Play Store the other day.

After a bit of investigating I noticed this, and then started to panic.

I've not noticed anything, no. The only accounts that I've logged into have been my Facebook account, Twitter, GAF and an alternative email account (I've never used my "proper" email). I change my passwords on a regular basis so it's not an issue changing them again, but it's still a cause for concern.

Nothing was detected on Malwarebytes when I deleted it, so is it safe to assume it is gone from my phone completely, or should I format it?

The avg website lists it as generic malware and only list possible things it might do so i can't tell you exactly what it did. However I do find it odd that the company seems to have disappeared except for one app on the apple app store. Id just be careful and change your passwords.

3phemeral

Just got this in today and man, it's extremely well built. Feels sturdy, smooth, and has a nice heft to it. So far, so good. Now to wait and see how well it charges.

Seems well worth the cost assuming the battery is a good as the build quality.

3phemeral

New android user here with a galaxy S5, would appreciate some recommendations on cool apps and stuff to customize this baby.

Well, you have your standard launcher's like Nova, Action Launcher, ADWex, GoLauncher, etc, which all customize your main launcher interface in fairly similar ways. Action Launcher being different from most. They essentially add features on top of the default launcher (but in your case, since it's a TouchWiz phone, they make it more like a souped-up Google Experience without the TouchWiz...aesthetic).

Then you have things like Themer, which allows you to appropriate anyone else's design. Just scroll through their list of custom-made interfaces and apply it. You get a sleekly customized interface without the hassle of having to decide for yourself every little detail.

It really depends if you want to have control over every aspect of your design or if you're happy with pre-made ones like these:

gK2W53C.jpg

M6LRbLd.jpg

ueltNHi.png

All of the above are Themer designs.

Themer also allows you to make your own designs, but I would say it's more advanced than any other launcher and takes some time getting used to.

wilflare

a long shot... but anyone has any suggestions?

still trying to find a phone that has a screen size (with its bezel) similar to a Vita so I can buy its Tempered Glass Screen Protector for my Vita

used one on my Note3... Glass Screen Protectors are just AMAZING

anyone? :X

maybe a 5inch screen phone with thin bezel
does the xiaomi/redmi, Nexus 5 or S4 fit the bill? or Xperia

CronoShot

anyone? :X

maybe a 5inch screen phone with thin bezel
does the xiaomi/redmi, Nexus 5 or S4 fit the bill? or Xperia

Well, from experience, I can at least tell you a Nexus 5 glass screen protector would never fit on a Vita. Too long. With the bezel it will be extremely hard to find something that would fit decently. Maybe some Xperia phone? They're pretty rectangular and won't have many button or speaker holes in the protector.

Tendo

2 quick questions:

1. I want a bluetooth keyboard for use with my 12.2 tablet - any suggestions, and any cases which will hold both the tablet and the keyboard?

2. That external battery - a buddy of mine had a similar external battery for his iphone and it killed the phones battery. Any risk of that here? If not I'll def pick that up as I have both an S5 and the 12.2 tablet.

sca2511

Just got this in today and man, it's extremely well built. Feels sturdy, smooth, and has a nice heft to it. So far, so good. Now to wait and see how well it charges.

Seems well worth the cost assuming the battery is a good as the build quality.

Just bought one, thanks for the post.

edit: wait, which backup battery is better? Pilot E2 or 2GS?

Laekon

Not really digging the new camera app. Colors in HDR look dull and the lens blur keeps messing up pictures. Plus the icon is horrible.

This all on my Nexus 5.

Also don't update the Facebook app if you haven't yet. Their stock should crash after an update that bad.

He said the S5 didn't feel any bigger than the 4S, not that the 4S was too small.

The comparison was to a S4 so posting the 5C is irrelevant.

Well I meant not that much bigger. I'm saying people over exaggerate the differences in size. I compared it side by side and held both of them with one hand. It's just slightly bigger for me. Of course I was being vague. The width is not much bigger. The length is considerably bigger, but that doesn't make it unwieldy for me.

reKon

Banned
Good Lord does the new dolphin suck. Ugly and they made it an extra click to get to your bookmarks. I am either going to dump it entirely or switch to an old version.

No, it actually doesn't because the forward and back buttons aren't fucking hidden hidden anymore and there's no floating sonar thing interfering with my browsing experience.

Also, they built in private mode which is what they should have do everything rather than making a separate app for it

Edit: I never use bookmarks on my tablet since I'm browsing gaf 80% of the time I'm in a browser on my tablet, but I understand why you're annoyed by the bookmarks

3phemeral

Just bought one, thanks for the post.

edit: wait, which backup battery is better? Pilot E2 or 2GS?

They're both by the same manufacturer, only the one I posted is 10000 mAh and the one he posted as 12000 mAh. O_O They can both charge two devices simultaneously and at least for the one I have, it has one USB 3.0 and the other USB 2.0. It's possible the other one could be the same or two USB 3.0 ports.

tzare

They're both by the same manufacturer, only the one I posted is 10000 mAh and the one he posted as 12000 mAh. O_O They can both charge two devices simultaneously and at least for the one I have, it has one USB 3.0 and the other USB 2.0. It's possible the other one could be the same or two USB 3.0 ports.
There 's another one,Poweradd™ Pilot X4 13000mah, for the same price at Amazon uk. Would these work on vita too? ! If yes i will buy... but which one? Slim or bigger battery?

Groof

How big is the one you got? It looks very slim, which is something I've been looking for in a portable battery.
Too bad they don't ship here...

Veezy

que?
What will be the next phone that's a solid upgrade from the Note 3? I haven't been keeping up with tech news lately and am really curious.

kehs

Banned
AP: What's your position on the SD card access situation in Android 4.4?

Koush: The SD card needs to go away. It's a nightmare for developers. There's too much variability here. SD Cards can be slow, resulting in poor app performance. They can come and go, or be swapped, and that results in unpredictable behavior if an app was expecting an SD card. One contiguous block of data needs to become the standard here (with different OEM SKUs for more/less storage), as it has been on iOS since the first iPhone.

Everyone get ready for the revolt against sd cards now.

longdi

Banned
It's being beaten by the Z2 there, and the Z2 doesn't have the best mobile display on the market IMO, the T2 Ultra does. The Z2 and M8 are a close second, but the T2 Ultra is the best. Really amazing display. The S5 isn't even in the same category as those three though. It's worse than the S4 IMO, the brightness gains have been made at the expense of battery life which is not really a gain worth having and the colour temperature is a bit too warm now and it seems like they missed the 6500K mark completely.

Played with the T2U in person at Sony stores...while it boasted a better screen than Z1, in no ways its screen looks better than Z2 or M8..no way. There is a distinct lack of punch and wide gamut colors from T2U screen, i guess it is using the same panel and back-lighting tech as Z1C, as they look similar to me. Z2 is noticeably better.

Did you tried to tweak Z2 white balance if the defaults didnt do it for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom