• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

Well, from experience, I can at least tell you a Nexus 5 glass screen protector would never fit on a Vita. Too long. With the bezel it will be extremely hard to find something that would fit decently. Maybe some Xperia phone? They're pretty rectangular and won't have many button or speaker holes in the protector.

the Xperia Z1 phones fit... but once again too long :/

Cheebo

Banned
anyone? :X

maybe a 5inch screen phone with thin bezel
does the xiaomi/redmi, Nexus 5 or S4 fit the bill? or Xperia
Why not just a glass tempered screen for a phone? Its not like the vita one is any better than the many out there made for particular phones

VoxPop

Everyone get ready for the revolt against sd cards now.

SD cards have always been slow as shit and useless for anything other than media storage. The fact that Samsung doesnt even let you put apps in SD without rooting makes it pointless. It's great for people who have a ton of music of pictures but yeah other than that, I'd rather see it go away and welcome increased onboard storage.

jokkir

SD cards have always been slow as shit and useless for anything other than media storage. The fact that Samsung doesnt even let you put apps in SD without rooting makes it pointless. It's great for people who have a ton of music of pictures but yeah other than that, I'd rather see it go away and welcome increased onboard storage.

Why not both? If the manufacturer doesn't put more/enough memory then SD cards is a must have. I mean, 32GB isn't even really the standard yet and manufacturers increasing the onboard storage is way too slow.

VoxPop

Why not both? If the manufacturer doesn't put more/enough memory then SD cards is a must have. I mean, 32GB isn't even really the standard yet and manufacturers increasing the onboard storage is way too slow.

Yeah that's pretty much what the M8 is. 32GB standard with SD slot. I'd still rather have the 64GB + 128GB standard.

wilflare

Why not just a glass tempered screen for a phone? Its not like the vita one is any better than the many out there made for particular phones

:X I'm trying to use a one for the phone on my Vita (as there isn't any glass sp specific for Vita out there)

3phemeral

There 's another one,Poweradd™ Pilot X4 13000mah, for the same price at Amazon uk. Would these work on vita too? ! If yes i will buy... but which one? Slim or bigger battery?
So long as one end connects to a standard USB port, I guess it should work. If it's powerful enough to charge a phone, unless the Vita has a higher charge requirement, you should get it to work. It also says it can charge an iPad, which I believe needs a higher output than a standard smartphone.

How big is the one you got? It looks very slim, which is something I've been looking for in a portable battery.
Too bad they don't ship here...

It's about the size of one of those mini-external drives. The package says 5.43 x 2.91 x 0.54 inches. It'll fit in a pocket or a shallow backpack sleeve.

I forgot to mention the provided cable cannot be used for data. It's a charge-only cable, and it's about 4 inches long.

Cipherr

AP: What's your position on the SD card access situation in Android 4.4?

Koush: The SD card needs to go away. It's a nightmare for developers. There's too much variability here. SD Cards can be slow, resulting in poor app performance. They can come and go, or be swapped, and that results in unpredictable behavior if an app was expecting an SD card. One contiguous block of data needs to become the standard here (with different OEM SKUs for more/less storage), as it has been on iOS since the first iPhone.

Everyone get ready for the revolt against sd cards now.

nqJQrJa.png
Fucking stupid. Unless you are going to make 64GB SKU's the baseline, they can shove that shit. I love my media storage.

64gb standard or stfu. Could be worse though. Could be 16gb standard like iOS. God I would kill myself if I had to deal with 16gb this day and age without any expan s able options (cloud lol).

paolo11

Would have been nice to have this a week ago for PAX. =/

Oh well, loved almost all the pics I took. Upgrade from my GN camera was massive. Night and day from the pics I took last year.

PAX East 2013:

IMG_20130324_103916.jpg

IMG_20130323_113012.jpg

IMG_20130322_110026.jpg

PAX East 2014:

IMG_20140413_113702.jpg

IMG_20140413_140359.jpg

IMG_20140413_114154.jpg

I mean I'm starting to have some kind of PTSD looking at those old pics. Jesus.

On the clear pictures, how many megapixels?(sorry for noob question)

Also, I am getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 tomorrow. Will it have the same quality pictures as above? How well does it run SNES and PSX emulator?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
On the clear pictures, how many megapixels?(sorry for noob question)

Also, I am getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 tomorrow. Will it have the same quality pictures as above? How well does it run SNES and PSX emulator?

Galaxy Nexus (PAX East 2013) was 5 megapixels.

Nexus 5 (PAX East 2014) is 8 megapixels with Optical Image Stabilization.

sca2511

They're both by the same manufacturer, only the one I posted is 10000 mAh and the one he posted as 12000 mAh. O_O They can both charge two devices simultaneously and at least for the one I have, it has one USB 3.0 and the other USB 2.0. It's possible the other one could be the same or two USB 3.0 ports.

I just went through and got the white one you linked. Mainly for its size, since it looks slimmer.

3phemeral

I just went through and got the white one you linked. Mainly for its size, since it looks slimmer.

It is a nice size. Not that I would, but I could easily fit it in my back pocket. I have a small sleeve on my backpack where I used to keep external hard drives that this fits perfectly in.

3phemeral

I'll just leave this here
UI responsiveness

Dat responsiveness. One of my major gripes with multitasking is when the page has to reload even though it's only the third most-recently used app in memory. It's like, what's the point if I have to reload? I hate HTCs design, but I really can't hate on that touch-response time. And that'll only get better for other phones as well. At least, I hope it does.

I have faith in Motorola. I've never been let down by them.

If I were in the market for an Android tablet, which would be a good one to get? I guess I would prefer a smaller tablet that would be good for browsing the web, watching videos and playing some games? I do not know much about Android these days. Is the Nexus 7 still a good tablet?

Edit: wow, checking out iPad Mini Retina and they are kind of pricey. :|

leng jai

As I've said several times the M8's touchscreen response time is a massive upgrade that many people don't know about. I'm sure Touchwizz doesn't help either.

Cruceh

Banned
It gets worse. The Nexus 5 should be getting spanked. Slower CPU/GPU and an older model.

Nexus 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 - UI Performance: http://youtu.be/V0ijg7in0K8
I hardly see how a snapdragon 800 should be getting spanked by an 801. It's barely an upgrade, which is why this current batch of phones is underwhelming for me. I think this highlight show bloated touchwiz really is compared to stock android, though. I don't think I'll ever get a non-Nexus device again. Half the price for just as good as phones coming out 6 months later. Plus it was tons better than the M7/GS4 when it came out.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Isn't the SD 801 a minor update to the 800? Meh.

I hardly see how a snapdragon 800 should be getting spanked by an 801. It's barely an upgrade, which is why this current batch of phones is underwhelming for me. I think this highlight show bloated touchwiz really is compared to stock android, though. I don't think I'll ever get a non-Nexus device again. Half the price for just as good as phones coming out 6 months later. Plus it was tons better than the M7/GS4 when it came out.

I agree with the reason for the performance being related to software, and thus Touchwiz. It's the likeliest explanation.

To your point regarding the spanking. The GPU is some 27% faster in the S5 than the N5 and the CPU is 9% faster. And there are slight architectural improvements in the 801. Given the spec lead and that Android is now fully hardware accelerated I'd expect to see obvious speed/responsiveness improvements over the N5. The fact that it's the reverse shows that Samsung (exactly as you said) need to take a look at software optimisation. I'm hesitant to say the word "bloat" as it's overused, not least by myself.

Whilst I find spec dick waving quite silly, the reason we tend to focus on them is a historical association between processor power increases and user experience. Particularly within Android which for a long time required brute force from the CPU/GPU to provide a smoother and faster UI, especially true of pre Jellybean devices. Unfortunately due to Samsung's software decisions the better processor in this phone isn't delivering on that beyond perhaps increased 3D performance.

Whilst the 801 isn't a huge leap over the 800 it should be showing obvious improvements in real world usage over the N5 and Samsung's software appears to have achieved the reverse.

I need some help: I have put together a series of geocaches in my town's parks, and want to buy a few GPS units to have available for free checkout by residents. The only problem is that a good GPS is several hundred dollars, and all of the budget ones are too complicated for our purposes.

That got me to thinking: Could we use moto G's instead? They have GPS chips, and you can now save sections of Google Maps offline. I tested this with a nexus 7 and was pleased with the results. Could I buy a $99 boost mobile prepaid version, never activate the cellular radio, but still use the GPS, maps, and app store?

Futureman

The real joke is how smooth Android looks compared to my Galaxy Nexus :)

Upgrade due in June!

That got me to thinking: Could we use moto G's instead? They have GPS chips, and you can now save sections of Google Maps offline. I tested this with a nexus 7 and was pleased with the results. Could I buy a $99 boost mobile prepaid version, never activate the cellular radio, but still use the GPS, maps, and app store?

Sorry for the non-definitive answer, but I believe YES you can. I think I asked the same question about using it as a media player.

Veezy

que?
What will be the next phone that's a solid upgrade from the Note 3? I haven't been keeping up with tech news lately and am really curious.

Anybody? I'm on T-Mobile here in the States if that helps.

I'm pretty sure the answer is the Note 4, but I just wanted to check.

wilflare

after searching high and low, seems like the HTC One M8 with its 5inch screen and thin bezel... has a Tempered Glass Screen Protector that would fit my PlayStation Vita!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom