• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

I'll just leave this here
UI responsiveness

Jesus Fucking Christ Samsung, what the fuck. HTC really nailed it this year with the responsiveness. Thats a huge difference.

It gets worse. The Nexus 5 should be getting spanked. Slower CPU/GPU and an older model.

Nexus 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 - UI Performance: http://youtu.be/V0ijg7in0K8

And this here, is sad, but doesn't surprise me at all. The Nexus phones are just ridiculous value for the price you pay. Its absurd. But man, its really crazy seeing a flagship 6 months later struggling to out perform a half price Nexus phone like that.

Articalys

So I'm looking to get an Android tablet. Price isn't too critical, although the less I would need to spend, the better, and overall keeping it under $400 would be nice. Wouldn't really be using it heavily for graphics-intensive gaming or tons of movie watching -- mostly just daily use for web browsing, simpler games and other apps, and a TV show or two here and there, but I'd like there to be some power under the hood. Ideally I'd like it to stay as close to the front of new OS releases as possible, but a few months delay would be okay.

Is the Nexus 7 32GB a good match or is there something else that would be a better fit -- or is there something new coming out within a couple months that would be even better?

Husker86

So I'm looking to get an Android tablet. Price isn't too critical, although the less I would need to spend, the better, and overall keeping it under $400 would be nice. Wouldn't really be using it heavily for graphics-intensive gaming or tons of movie watching -- mostly just daily use for web browsing, simpler games and other apps, and a TV show or two here and there, but I'd like there to be some power under the hood. Ideally I'd like it to stay as close to the front of new OS releases as possible, but a few months delay would be okay.

Is the Nexus 7 32GB a good match or is there something else that would be a better fit -- or is there something new coming out within a couple months that would be even better?
Nexus 7 sounds perfect for you. New ones come out in the summer though, assuming a yearly release.

It's a fine tablet still. I use mine quite a bit, and I'll probably skip this year's release.

cjkeats

Nexus 7 will suffice just fine for what you want.

NotBacon

Yeah Samsung gonna Samsung.

So... M8 has excellent materials, but poor hardware design (disgusting bezel, slippery, etc.). And S5 has a great camera and battery, but terrible real life performance.

Yeah I'll stick with Moto X+1.

I have faith in Motorola. I've never been let down by them.

This. Every other flagship looks massively disappointing.

_woLf

People who have the S5, I have a question. When you get a text message, on the lock screen you can tap the "messages" button and then a white box will appear underneath it, but it has nothing in it...what is it for?

People who have the S5, I have a question. When you get a text message, on the lock screen you can tap the "messages" button and then a white box will appear underneath it, but it has nothing in it...what is it for?

if it's like previous iterations, you swipe to unlock in there and it will go directly to the message/thread. if you had a pin/pass the entry keypad would appear there.

SimleuqiR

It gets worse. The Nexus 5 should be getting spanked. Slower CPU/GPU and an older model.

Nexus 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 - UI Performance: http://youtu.be/V0ijg7in0K8

Jesus Fucking Christ Samsung, what the fuck. HTC really nailed it this year with the responsiveness. Thats a huge difference.

And this here, is sad, but doesn't surprise me at all. The Nexus phones are just ridiculous value for the price you pay. Its absurd. But man, its really crazy seeing a flagship 6 months later struggling to out perform a half price Nexus phone like that.

Stock Google Experience Android is lean and mean.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

wilflare

Checking out the current Wall of Shame, I'm an active enough poster that isn't unreasonable. The poster ahead of me finishes another completely different tier that's 100+ posts higher than me.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/can-t-download-premium-bombcast-1480166/

we getting OT4 soon?
sigh I love my Note 3.... but if Note 4 is gonna be like S5 (laggy, etc) I might switch to Nexus

I uninstalled it. I don't know wtf they were thinking with that update. Boat Browser and Lightning Browser for me.

I really wanted to like Dolphin... but with the latest update (I was trying the Beta... and many people did highlight the changes in that... they don't like it), I went with Chrome and never looked back

Portugeezer

Why does Youtube look like shit on Chrome, even with HD on?

Using Firefox looks better. I don't want to use a separate app for Youtube, seems pointless.

minx

How come half the time I tell my phone to default to always open in Chrome and not the default Internet app it doesn't remember. I'll click the "always" option but shouldn't be only ever have to click that once?

Gannd

Banned
How come half the time I tell my phone to default to always open in Chrome and not the default Internet app it doesn't remember. I'll click the "always" option but shouldn't be only ever have to click that once?

Are you telling it via apps? Or through settings?

Quixzlizx

I'm getting a bug where apps that update sometimes disappear off my home screen. It's really annoying trying to memorize every app I have in every folder.

I have a stock Nexus 4 that's fully updated.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm getting a bug where apps that update sometimes disappear off my home screen. It's really annoying trying to memorize every app I have in every folder.

I have a stock Nexus 4 that's fully updated.

Do you use the stock launcher? I get that problem with Action launcher too

My S3 has stopped making all sounds except for when on a call; no rings, notifications, or music. I can only hear everything through headphones.

I've restarted, left it off all night, air-sprayed the headphone jack, looked through all the settings... but nothing still.

???

kehs

Banned
DSC_4907-2040_verge_super_wide.jpg

Google partnering with Hasbro for ARA.

if I root my Nexus 5, will I still be able to receive OTA updates if I continue to use the Google Now Launcher and no custom roms? I mainly just want to customize the stock Google Now Launcher some more (hide apps, change icons etc...)

mturco

if I root my Nexus 5, will I still be able to receive OTA updates if I continue to use the Google Now Launcher and no custom roms? I mainly just want to customize the stock Google Now Launcher some more (hide apps, change icons etc...)

The launcher doesn't matter at all. It's just an app. If you root it, however, OTA updates won't install. You can install updates manually though if you have a custom recovery installed.

yyzjohn

Banned
The launcher doesn't matter at all. It's just an app. If you root it, however, OTA updates won't install. You can install updates manually though if you have a custom recovery installed.

What? Rooting doesn't affect you getting OTA updates. Installing a custom ROM does though.

Ocho

Decided to return my HTC One M8. Coming from a Note 2, the screen was too small (the on screen buttons made it look even smaller). Guess I'll wait for the next Note or maybe something cheaper like the next Nexus.

Fedelias

Getting my first android phone in a month (coming from iPhone 5), what can I expect that's different from iPhones? I'm looking to either get the Nexus 5 or the HTC One M8.

Smithy C

Just got a HTC One M8 coming from a Nokia Lumia 800. Because it was a Windows Phone, I am not used too having such a wide selection of apps, so what should I look out for? I've already got a podcast app, Spotify and the London Underground maps.

I'm yet to put any music on my phone, but I've got quite a lot of it. Is there an app that can let me access music I put on my phone and Spotify music that I can listen to offline in the same app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom