• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I see, thanks. Back to my original question though, what should I expect that's radically different OS/feature wise coming from an iPhone?

The home screen. It's yours to do with as you please. Icons, widgets, layouts.

Intents. Apps can open from other apps!

TBH you should probably watch a YT video which will explain more.

Try watching this video, I dunno if it's any good though

Android 4.4 KitKat vs iOS 7 Comparison: http://youtu.be/-XEPZMIxVu4

Oh I see, thanks. Back to my original question though, what should I expect that's radically different OS/feature wise coming from an iPhone?

well, you mentioned customization, but there's so much to that aspect. setting default apps. using different input methods. theming or even just using a launcher that steps away from the traditional style.

remember to disable iMessage on your iPhone before you switch.

Fedelias

Google Now actually works in delivering you info you actually want.

The home screen. It's yours to do with as you please. Icons, widgets, layouts.

Intents. Apps can open from other apps!

TBH you should probably watch a YT video which will explain more.

Try watching this video, I dunno if it's any good though

Android 4.4 KitKat vs iOS 7 Comparison: http://youtu.be/-XEPZMIxVu4

well, you mentioned customization, but there's so much to that aspect. setting default apps. using different input methods. theming or even just using a launcher that steps away from the traditional style.

remember to disable iMessage on your iPhone before you switch.

Thanks for all the help! Now another question... Nexus 5 or HTC One? I'm slightly leaning towards HTC because of upgradeable storage but I'd like to hear all your opinions as well.

Checking out the current Wall of Shame, I'm an active enough poster that isn't unreasonable. The poster ahead of me finishes another completely different tier that's 100+ posts higher than me.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/can-t-download-premium-bombcast-1480166/

Thanks, not sure why the Alt+F1 podcast doesnt show up in the list in Pocket Casts though....

edit: Nevermind! I didnt see the whole URL they used, everything works great! Thanks a bunch!

Toki767

I'd be tempted for a Moto X+1 just for the voice controls. I have a feeling they're going to go even further with those.

I'm most excited about the G3 though.

NotBacon

I'd be tempted for a Moto X+1 just for the voice controls. I have a feeling they're going to go even further with those.

I'm most excited about the G3 though.

Even the Moto X is still an insanely great phone, so if it just got a slight performance bump and a better camera, i'd be set.

Ferga

Alright, I gotta get this cleared up.

I recently got a galaxy s5 and my battery drains 1% on standby every 10-20 minutes. This isn't normal, is it?

I've gone through a tonne of reviews and it doesn't really seem right.

kehs

Banned
BGR warning.

Google’s Nexus 7 might not be the most popular tablet in the world, but it is clearly one of the top choices for Android enthusiasts looking for a pure Google experience at a surprisingly affordable price. Starting at just $229, Google’s 7-inch tablet is indeed a tremendous value. According to a new report, however, Android fans may soon have an even better option when it comes to purchasing a new tablet.

Citing unnamed supply chain sources, Digitimes on Monday reported that Google plans to launch its next-generation Nexus tablet sometime in the third quarter this year.

According to the report, the new slate will feature a larger 8-inch display. And while Asus had been tasked with building previous versions of Google’s entry-level tablet, the report states that HTC has been contracted to design and build the upcoming new “Nexus 8.”

Digitimes noted that HTC was approached by Google to build earlier Nexus 7 models as well, but the Taiwan-based vendor declined in order to focus on its struggling smartphone business.

Earlier reports suggested that the Nexus 8 will be announced in late June at the annual Google I/O developer conference, where Google is also expected to take the wraps off of a new version of its mobile operating system, Android 4.5.

http://bgr.com/2014/04/21/nexus-8-release-date-q3-htc/

4:3 please, leave the jetstream at the door.

Futureman

Even the Moto X is still an insanely great phone, so if it just got a slight performance bump and a better camera, i'd be set.

is there a rumor on release date? My contract is up in June and I'll probably either get the X or X+1 off contract to keep my Verizon unlimited data.

Smithy C

The HTC software on the computer is awful. Any other ways to put music from your computer onto the phone? It's an HTC One M8, if that helps.

Xyber

Alright, I gotta get this cleared up.

I recently got a galaxy s5 and my battery drains 1% on standby every 10-20 minutes. This isn't normal, is it?

I've gone through a tonne of reviews and it doesn't really seem right.

How is your coverage in your house? Maybe it's going back and forth between 3G/4G all the time. Looking for a better connection can use up quite a lot of juice. It might also be some background syncing from apps. Disable push on mail and set it to sync every hour or something depending on your needs.

I use DU Battery Saver that can disable network when the screen is off so no syncing can happen in the background unless I'm actually using the phone. It's been great for my battery life.

Smithy C

Other than drag and drop, which should work just fine, you could always try Airdroid to transfer your files wirelessly.

Airdroid seems pretty cool I'll give that a try. Drag and drop works, but some files don't show up on my phone after I put them on. Probably through poor labeling, but that's my bad.

paolo11

Ok I got Note 3. What a sexy and p powerful device. Questions:

A) What are your recommended apps?

B) Any nice apps for downloading music and anime?

C) Any tips to make the camera quality super amazing?

I am really itching to get a new phone and to finally ditch sprint and their awful coverage and data speeds. My contract is up but when reviewing phones I am looking for I can't find a whole lot on antenna strength for the new phones. Any review sites that cover that aspect fairly well I could read?

Talon

I am really itching to get a new phone and to finally ditch sprint and their awful coverage and data speeds. My contract is up but when reviewing phones I am looking for I can't find a whole lot on antenna strength for the new phones. Any review sites that cover that aspect fairly well I could read?
Signal strength is going to affect you a lot more than a phone's antenna strength. The gradiation in the latter category is so minor among the flagships as to be insignificant.

Basically, get the fuck off Sprint.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ok I got Note 3. What a sexy and p powerful device. Questions:

A) What are your recommended apps?

B) Any nice apps for downloading music and anime?

C) Any tips to make the camera quality super amazing?

PM SuperSah.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
16:9 > 4:3

We've been over this issue a few times. And well, maybe you guys are wrong because you use tablets differently than me. I prefer 4:3 because I mainly browse the web, read RSS. That's about it. If you're a heavy video user, I can understand 16:10.

Also, 4:3 is usable portrait and landscape. I've never used my N10 in portrait except when I use it to record videos.

We've been over this issue a few times. And well, maybe you guys are wrong because you use tablets differently than me. I prefer 4:3 because I mainly browse the web, read RSS. That's about it. If you're a heavy video user, I can understand 16:10.

Also, 4:3 is usable portrait and landscape. I've never used my N10 in portrait except when I use it to record videos.

At that size portrait is redonkulous. N7 I use in portrait with the exception of gaming and videos.

I still think 7"-8" is the sweetspot. Anything bigger and you're as well looking at a laptop.

Groof

7-8" 16:10 is definitely where it's at. Wide enough to fit a lot of content and text on screen, but not too wide as to make videos letterboxed to all hell and back. And gaming in landscape is also nice because then it's wide enough to not make your hands obscure the screen too much if it uses a dual control scheme.

All hail 16:10. Should still be the standard for PC monitors as well imho.

kehs

Banned
7-8" 16:10 is definitely where it's at. Wide enough to fit a lot of content and text on screen, but not too wide as to make videos letterboxed to all hell and back. And gaming in landscape is also nice because then it's wide enough to not make your hands obscure the screen too much if it uses a dual control scheme.

All hail 16:10. Should still be the standard for PC monitors as well imho.

Sorries.

22fcb_android_nexus.png

Faith

Uhhh no. I watch movies and tv shows more on my tablet than my phone. Not saying I want 4:3 on my phone, just saying tablets shouldn't be 4:3.
I use tablets for powerpoint presentations & PDFs, 16:9 doesn't work for me :)

Only reason why I don't have an Android tablet.

Bboy AJ

New Hangouts.

Hangouts 2.1 for Android: SMS improvements and a homescreen widget

Today we’re launching the newest version of Hangouts for Android, rolling out to the Play store (http://goo.gl/6Sv8V) over the next few days. Highlights include:

- Merged conversations: SMS and Hangout conversations with the same recipient are now combined into a single conversation. You can control whether you want to send a message via Hangouts or SMS with the flip of a switch, and different message types will be easy to tell apart in the conversation. Of course, you can always merge and unmerge conversations if you’d like.

- Simplified contact list: now there’s two main sections in contacts — People you Hangout With, and Phone Contacts — making it simpler to navigate, and easier to use for SMS.

- Homescreen widget: add the Hangouts widget to your homescreen for quick access to your recent conversations.

- Performance improvements: today’s update includes better quality video calls, as well as improved SMS and MMS reliability.

The new version will be available in the Play store (http://goo.gl/6Sv8V) this week, so download or update and let us know what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom