• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

Man, that merged conversation thing is definitely needed if its what I think it is. As well as contact list stuff separated by Phone contacts versus Hangout Contacts.

Still have to pick between SMS and Hangouts manually, but a step in the right direction.

Toki767

New Hangouts really is great with SMS and Hangouts being in one place now. White bubble means it's a text and a green bubble means it's a Hangouts message.

I guess the only issue is that you have no way of telling how the person sending you a message sent it since it's white for them no matter what.

Man, that merged conversation thing is definitely needed if its what I think it is. As well as contact list stuff separated by Phone contacts versus Hangout Contacts.
Sounds like they just dump the SMS and Hangouts messages into one big list and you can toggle if your responses use Hangouts or SMS

Still have to pick between SMS and Hangouts manually, but a step in the right direction.
This is the only step. Anything else would be going too far.

Looking to make the jump to Android for my phone. Found someone who will buy my iphone for $300 and really want to go to the Nexus 5. Is the Nexus 5 still worth buying? Any deals or coupons floating around for it?

Anything I should know? Can I just take the phone to an att store and have my account switched over to it?

SimleuqiR

New Hangouts really is great with SMS and Hangouts being in one place now. White bubble means it's a text and a green bubble means it's a Hangouts message.

I guess the only issue is that you have no way of telling how the person sending you a message sent it since it's white for them no matter what.

It says "via SMS" at the bottom the messages. All Hangout messages you receive will not have that caption at the bottom. Problem solved.

I've also received a prompt on top that says "Autoswitched to Hangouts based on the last message received"
So the app is smart enough to autoswitch for you depending on how the message was sent to you.

Toki767

It says "via SMS" at the bottom the messages. All Hangout messages you receive will not have that caption at the bottom. Problem solved.

I've also received a prompt on top that says "Autoswitched to Hangouts based on the last message received"
So the app is smart enough to autoswitch for you depending on how the message was sent to you.

Oh I didn't catch that part at all. I was wondering why they left it at all white for the other person. Feels like they should have highlighted it for them just to keep consistency though.

Zeppu

Oh I didn't catch that part at all. I was wondering why they left it at all white for the other person. Feels like they should have highlighted it for them just to keep consistency though.

I think it's green for all outgoing messages, white for incoming, irrespective of whether it's a hangout or sms.

Esqueleto

Banned
Looking to make the jump to Android for my phone. Found someone who will buy my iphone for $300 and really want to go to the Nexus 5. Is the Nexus 5 still worth buying? Any deals or coupons floating around for it?

Anything I should know? Can I just take the phone to an att store and have my account switched over to it?

No need to go to the store if it's a micro sim. Just pop it and it will work. It just shows up as an unknown device in your account page on the web(I haven't
used att in a while so they might have fixed this), but everything works fine.

Futureman

yes still worth buying. There won't be a successor until Nov/Dec and there was just a comparison posted where the N5 is smoother and opens apps faster than the just released S5.

Vitanimus

Not sure if this thread is appropriate to ask, but I need some convincing between the HTC One M8 and the Xperia Z2. I'll just make a list of personal pro's and con's for each and any other opinion is valued:

Sony Xperia Z2
Pro's
  • Screen size
  • Seems more "future proof" (more RAM)
  • Mostly stock Android
  • Camera quality

Con's
  • Size and shape
  • Fingerprint magnet apparently
  • Display is bad outdoors (Verge review)

HTC One M8
Pro's
  • Curved back = comfy
  • Blinkfeed seems useful
  • Screen size and quality

Con's
  • Camera ("Ultrapixel"?)

I've been using iOS for the past 3 years so it'll be weird to jump back into Android. I am partially leaning towards the M8, as I don't heavily use my camera outside some instagram photos and stuff, but at the same time a nice camera is always nice to have, right? The shape of the Z2 is a little bulky for my liking because I have baby hands, but it's not a deal breaker. Something like the screen being awful outdoors is though, so any input on that would be pretty cool.

paolo11

Does Kitkat Android make the Note 3 faster/better? I'm using Verizon and I am still at Jellybean atm.(heard Kitkat will launch on May 2).

bigmf

I need Android-Gaf's help. My wife has a HTC One Mini and a new Jeep with a UConnect stereo system. I get stuck with tech support and I don't know much about android phones. I paired the phone with the car and the contacts don't download to the system. She can't call by saying "Call [name]. Text messages don't get announced and the system won't read them out loud. Is there any trick to this? I've unpaired and deleted on both the phone and the car a few times and repaired, but both problems remain.

The call [name] thing worked for the first week or so, but now neither work and she can only dial out by saying the number or punching it into her phone. Is there any app that will help with either problem or some other trick? The firmware in the car is the most recent available and the phone is Android 4.4.2.

I need Android-Gaf's help. My wife has a HTC One Mini and a new Jeep with a UConnect stereo system. I get stuck with tech support and I don't know much about android phones. I paired the phone with the car and the contacts don't download to the system. She can't call by saying "Call [name]. Text messages don't get announced and the system won't read them out loud. Is there any trick to this? I've unpaired and deleted on both the phone and the car a few times and repaired, but both problems remain.

The call [name] thing worked for the first week or so, but now neither work and she can only dial out by saying the number or punching it into her phone. Is there any app that will help with either problem or some other trick? The firmware in the car is the most recent available and the phone is Android 4.4.2.

Unpair the phone an try again?

reKon

Banned
haven't checked out the hangouts app yet, but do you really have to choose between sending a text via hangouts vs sms before sending? I wish that it would automatically send via hangouts if you were on Wi-Fi

Groof

haven't checked out the hangouts app yet, but do you really have to choose between sending a text via hangouts vs sms before sending? I wish that it would automatically send via hangouts if you were on Wi-Fi
Yeah you have to manually switch. But it seems like it automatically switches to the way the last message was received, so if the last message you got was an SMS it'd switch to SMS mode and vice versa.

Nicktendo86

Yeah you have to manually switch. But it seems like it automatically switches to the way the last message was received, so if the last message you got was an SMS it'd switch to SMS mode and vice versa.
Yeah, massive step in right direction anyway. Like the new design as well.

reKon

Banned

OK, that's a little better, but I've been in situations where I'm in the basement of somewhere and I don't have any cell reception so I get texts late, but at the sametime I'm on Wi-Fi

jokkir

K1WdJpW.jpg

reKon

Banned
So you guys didn't tell me why this wasn't working, but it's OK because I figured out. I have to link contact phone numbers with their gmail account for all this to work. I'm glad we have the ability to merge everything, but I just hope other people are smart enough to do the same. If everyone was on google hangout's this would all work much better. My friend was bitching though that if he chats from his desktop, he won't be able to see SMS messages.

Is this what iMessage does? Convert every message into an iMessage whether it's sent via text or wifi?

Toki767

So you guys didn't tell me why this wasn't working, but it's OK because I figured out. I have to link contact phone numbers with their gmail account for all this to work. I'm glad we have the ability to merge everything, but I just hope other people are smart enough to do the same. If everyone was on google hangout's this would all work much better. My friend was bitching though that if he chats from his desktop, he won't be able to see SMS messages.

Is this what iMessage does? Convert every message into an iMessage whether it's sent via text or wifi?

Hangouts doesn't convert SMS. It merely merges two threads together.

iMessage I'm not sure about though.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Every solution I've found on Google has been useless but I figured I'd ask here: anyone know of a surefire cure for the iPhone imessage bug? Since switching to an S5 from a 4G last week I've been unable unable to receive texts from anyone who previously texted me from an iPhone. I manages to get it to work for one person by tediously deleting, readding, deleting, readding my contact for almost an hour.

Every solution I've found on Google has been useless but I figured I'd ask here: anyone know of a surefire cure for the iPhone imessage bug? Since switching to an S5 from a 4G last week I've been unable unable to receive texts from anyone who previously texted me from an iPhone. I manages to get it to work for one person by tediously deleting, readding, deleting, readding my contact for almost an hour.

I recently switched and my brother told me to turn off SMS messaging on the iphone during the process. It has to be related to that I think.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I recently switched and my brother told me to turn off SMS messaging on the iphone during the process. It has to be related to that I think.

From what I understand, turning off iMessage before switching numbers helps.

Naturally, Verizon did not warn me of this challenge.

I've been told by another carrier that Sprint needs to unlock my SIM slot in order to use my phone on the other carrier's network.
For eligible devices, Sprint will unlock the SIM slot, to the extent that a device SIM slot is capable of being unlocked. It is important to note that not all devices are capable of being unlocked, often because of the manufacturers' device designs, and that even for those devices capable of being unlocked, not all device functionality may be capable of being unlocked. Specifically, devices manufactured with a SIM slot within the past three years (including, but not limited to, all Apple iPhone devices), cannot be unlocked to accept a different domestic carrier's SIM for use on another domestic carrier's network. Sprint has no technological process available to do this. In accordance with Sprint's voluntary commitment contained within CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service (“Unlocking Commitment”), Sprint is working to ensure that all devices developed and launched on or after February 11, 2015 are capable of being unlocked domestically.

If my device is unlocked, does that mean I will be able to use it with a different carrier?
Even if unlocked, Sprint devices will not necessarily work on another carrier’s network. Whether an unlocked Sprint device can be used on another carrier’s network is subject to that carrier’s policies and network compatibilities. Even if a different carrier will activate a Sprint device on its network, Sprint does not make any guarantees as to a Sprint device’s performance on another carrier’s network or that any or all device features or functionalities will be fully or partially operational. Although a phone manufacturer may manufacture the same device model and name for different wireless carriers offering wireless service in the United States, Sprint devices are specifically designed to function on Sprint’s network and Sprint’s frequencies and technologies.

Sprint’s unlocking policy appears to apply only to postpaid customers. I am a prepaid customer. Am I eligible to have my device unlocked?
Neither Sprint nor its prepaid affiliates (Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless) currently unlock devices for prepaid customers. However, in accordance with the Unlocking Commitment, Sprint and its prepaid affiliates are working to create new policies and procedures in order to unlock prepaid devices, or to provide the information necessary to unlock the devices, after certain eligibility requirements to be established are met. Consistent with the Unlocking Commitment, Sprint and its prepaid affiliates will implement these new policies and procedures no later than February 11, 2015.

better than nothing...

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
why would Verizon warn you?

Well, if they've encountered complaints about people switching from iPhones to Android devices before, I'd have hoped they would have mentioned something prior to me fucking myself.

Instead of, you know, trying to sell me overpriced cases and bullshit insurance the entire fucking time.

Blablurn

Do you guys have any experience with Chinese knock off phones? You know. Stuff like a Samsung Galaxy 4 look a like but with a 8 core processor lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom