• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

lb_76729ka65.jpg

Like the icon row at the bottom. Much more informative than a simple LED light.

So it is indeed the Xfon.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Where is Hangouts SMS support.
FuqnPhm.gif

Idk but open source hacker and android genius Koush Dutta has now gotten SMS to work via Google Voice through some voodoo that's now included in Cyanogen Mod. MMS is still a no go though.

Dude is straight SSJ4 in terms of Dev power level! :p

SimleuqiR

Dat battery life and this:

http://9to5google.com/2013/07/23/go...-own-x8-arm-processor-to-debut-in-new-droids/

The new “X8″ 8-core processor has a dual core CPU, a quad core GPU and a separate processor for “natural language processing” and it rounds out with computing core to control them all.

Are the biggest things from the event. Guess the Moto X is much much more than the Nexus 4.

Very interesting.
The next few years are going to be fun.
I wouldn't mind that Moto battery life tech on a Nexus device.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Idk but open source hacker and android genius Koush Dutta has now gotten SMS to work via Google Voice through some voodoo that's now included in Cyanogen Mod. MMS is still a no go though.

Dude is straight SSJ4 in terms of Dev power level! :p

SMS always worked through GVoice. Well, through Gmail and the web app.

Are the biggest things from the event. Guess the Moto X is much much more than the Nexus 4.

That is interesting. The Moto X has a larger battery than the Ultra and a smaller screen, so theoretically, the battery life should be better, too. If they can squeeze 30 hours out of the X, then that makes it a much more interesting proposition to me.

thespot84

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but my Galaxy Nexus just updated to the latest version of Google Maps and it doesn't work.

Want to navigate somewhere? The wheel just spins endlessly searching for a route.

Want to see where you are? Sorry, the map will never load.

I rolled back the update and it worked perfectly again. Then updated again and same stupid shit. WTF!? How do i get this to actually work!?

install the update, then try clearing the data for the maps app

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
"Anyone who preorders or buys one of these three phones between today and Sept. 30th will also get 6 free months of Google Music."

gcubed

What about the extra core for language processing? Its all bullshit?

gut would say yes. We'd know if they fabbed a new processor. I think its more likely they are calling some subsystem a language processor than the fact that they fabbed their own chipset. I thought part of one of the S series was that it had an always listening mode.

But places the the verge are calling it a moto chipset, so who knows. We should find out the details on it within a few days now that they unveiled this "moto processor"

Vic

What Google event?
andrx pls

gut would say yes. We'd know if they fabbed a new processor. I think its more likely they are calling some subsystem a language processor than the fact that they fabbed their own chipset. I thought part of one of the S series was that it had an always listening mode.

But places the the verge are calling it a moto chipset, so who knows. We should find out the details on it within a few days now that they unveiled this "moto processor"
With the battery life they're promising, I except all those 8 cores to be included into one single package.

Talon

Yeah, I'd wait for someone like Anandtech to talk about it. I'm sure Klug will have something written up by the weekend.

Vic

From: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/23/4549060/motorola-using-its-own-8-core-chip-in-new-droids

"Update: A Motorola spokesperson at a simultaneous event held in Chicago to announce the new phones tells The Verge that the X8 is a custom-made system-on-a-chip. However, the spokesperson added that company is using Qualcomm Krait CPU cores and Adreno GPU cores in the design. It's possible that the much-rumored Moto X will use this X8 SoC, but we'll need to wait to know for sure. Motorola declined to comment when asked who is manufacturing the chips."

gcubed

From: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/23/4549060/motorola-using-its-own-8-core-chip-in-new-droids

"Update: A Motorola spokesperson at a simultaneous event held in Chicago to announce the new phones tells The Verge that the X8 is a custom-made system-on-a-chip. However, the spokesperson added that company is using Qualcomm Krait CPU cores and Adreno GPU cores in the design. It's possible that the much-rumored Moto X will use this X8 SoC, but we'll need to wait to know for sure. Motorola declined to comment when asked who is manufacturing the chips."

well shit, they did that quietly. Looking at the droid reveal, 99% that the X will use the X8. They have feature parity.

Vic

well shit, they did that quietly. Looking at the droid reveal, 99% that the X will use the X8. They have feature parity.
That's obvious. Also, has someone else mentioned: looking at the Droid Ultra, the Moto X should theoretically have a great battery life.

Kiraly

Assuming the X uses the same processor;

We have already seen the performance of it, I'm mostly just interested in battery life.

Vic

Android And Me accurately described the X8 early this month: http://androidandme.com/2013/07/opinions/4-reasons-why-the-moto-x-will-live-up-to-the-hype/

"How smart is your smartphone? It can sync your bookmarks between Chrome on your desktop and Chrome on your phone, but only after you go through the setup process. Open a few apps, fumble around some menus and press some more buttons. Most of that you have to do every time you want your smartphone to do smart things. With the Moto X, not anymore.

Back in April, we told you how the Moto X will feature “creepy intelligence.” It’s going to know when you want to do things, before you even tell it. And if you do have to tell it, it will always be listening, ready for action. Earlier, we told you the Moto X would launch with a MSM8960pro. But that’s not all. There are actually going to be eight different “cores” making the Moto X a contextually aware information powerhouse.

They break down like this:

Four processors cores are dedicated to graphics. By taking this route, you’re going to see Android running smoother than ever before. Paired with stock Android, this thing is going to fly in the graphics department.

Two processors cores are dedicated to applications. Let the graphics processors focus on graphics, while two 1.7 GHz processors focus on apps.

One processor will be dedicated to language processing. The low-power language chip will focus on audio sensors, noise cancellation and speech recognition. This will allow the Moto X to use an always-on listening mode, but still retain sufficient battery life.

One processor will be dedicated to other contextual sensors. During his interview at All Things D11, Dennis Woodside said the Moto X would “anticipate” what you want to do with your phone. Hold it up like you’re going to take a picture, your camera will turn on. That’s what this processor is for.

No one else has a chip configuration like this. It’s exclusive to Motorola and is what will make this phone smarter than any other phone before it. Google has made it clear that Motorola is being given no special treatment, but it’s clear that Google is playing a role in the production of the Moto X. Google makes stock Android, with all the bare essentials. Google is going to make the Moto X will all the little things that they really want in a phone that don’t make it into stock Android for one reason or another. Think of Motorola’s products as getting the moonshot thinking approach. If anything were to kill Nexus, this would be it."

Vic

So... the Xfone is actually a beast now? is this what I'm getting?
Looks to be a very efficient 2012 high-end phone with extra hardware functions specially added to enrich Google services. Might be more "Google" than Nexus devices.

iavi

Looks to be a very efficient 2012 high-end phone with extra hardware functions specially added to enrich Google services. Might be more "Google" than Nexus devices.

If they can do this, and maintain the pricing scheme of the N4, I might just have my hand forced. I'm in dire need of a new phone.

Toki767

I wonder if those new Google features are even part of the phone or just part of 4.3

Android And Me accurately described the X8 early this month: http://androidandme.com/2013/07/opinions/4-reasons-why-the-moto-x-will-live-up-to-the-hype/

"How smart is your smartphone? It can sync your bookmarks between Chrome on your desktop and Chrome on your phone, but only after you go through the setup process. Open a few apps, fumble around some menus and press some more buttons. Most of that you have to do every time you want your smartphone to do smart things. With the Moto X, not anymore.

Back in April, we told you how the Moto X will feature “creepy intelligence.” It’s going to know when you want to do things, before you even tell it. And if you do have to tell it, it will always be listening, ready for action. Earlier, we told you the Moto X would launch with a MSM8960pro. But that’s not all. There are actually going to be eight different “cores” making the Moto X a contextually aware information powerhouse.

They break down like this:

Four processors cores are dedicated to graphics. By taking this route, you’re going to see Android running smoother than ever before. Paired with stock Android, this thing is going to fly in the graphics department.

Two processors cores are dedicated to applications. Let the graphics processors focus on graphics, while two 1.7 GHz processors focus on apps.

One processor will be dedicated to language processing. The low-power language chip will focus on audio sensors, noise cancellation and speech recognition. This will allow the Moto X to use an always-on listening mode, but still retain sufficient battery life.

One processor will be dedicated to other contextual sensors. During his interview at All Things D11, Dennis Woodside said the Moto X would “anticipate” what you want to do with your phone. Hold it up like you’re going to take a picture, your camera will turn on. That’s what this processor is for.

No one else has a chip configuration like this. It’s exclusive to Motorola and is what will make this phone smarter than any other phone before it. Google has made it clear that Motorola is being given no special treatment, but it’s clear that Google is playing a role in the production of the Moto X. Google makes stock Android, with all the bare essentials. Google is going to make the Moto X will all the little things that they really want in a phone that don’t make it into stock Android for one reason or another. Think of Motorola’s products as getting the moonshot thinking approach. If anything were to kill Nexus, this would be it."
Unless I am woefully mistaken Qualcomm has been doing the above for years no one bar those with an interest in cpu design has been paying attention. What they are referring to as cores are actually DSP's - qsdp6v5 and the like. So article sounds like bullshit, Qualcomm has been opening up the development of these devices over the last few years.

Matugi

Also the Moto X is sounding real enticing and with the likelihood that it will be subsidized down on Verizon or even the ability to keep the device in perpetuity I may just invest.

reKon

Banned
Ultra measures at 7.18mm thinness... slaying bitches left and right. If only the actually front and back design were sexy...

gcubed

Unless I am woefully mistaken Qualcomm has been doing the above for years no one bar those with an interest in cpu design has been paying attention. What they are referring to as cores are actually DSP's - qsdp6v5 and the like. So article sounds like bullshit, Qualcomm has been opening up the development of these devices over the last few years.

yeah, i'd assume its created by qualcomm for Moto. I remember stories about the language processing and listening features "available" on krait chipsets, but none of the off the shelf chips have it. So moto just contracted qualcomm to "make" them a chipset

Groof

Alright I'm back home from Ireland and ready as fuck for tomorrow.

Also, I saw quite a bit of commercials for HTC One there, though surprisingly few who had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom