• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

I lost patience waiting for the OTA like the impatient whore I am, so I decided to sideload 4.3 but I keep getting an error similar to this
Code:
Installing update
Warning: No file_contextsassert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop","ro.build.fingerprint") =="google/occam/mako:4.2.2/JDQ39/573038:user/release-keys" || 
file_getprop("/system/build.prop". "ro.build.fingerprint") = = "google/occam/mako:4.3/JWR66V/737497:user/release-keys"
Installation aborted

anybody can tell me whassup?

did you rename the file? Make sure there is no blank spaces in the name of the file. The OTA zip I downloaded from Android Central was straight from the Google servers. Let me rephrase that, AC just linked to the server.

I had no problem sideloading it (adb sideload C:\update.zip)
I did get a "no file_contextassert failed" message but the file was verified and the installation went through with not problems.

I'm assuming your stock, you coming from the proper build to 4.3? You're putting this on a GSM version i'm assuming?

It says Mako, so it has to be a Nexus 4 on 4.2.2 build JDQ39, for it to work.

Zeppu

As with all these attempts, 95% of the work and effort is installing the USB drivers.

Updating! I'd say 50% through.
Patching system files...

SimleuqiR

As with all these attempts, 95% of the work and effort is installing the USB drivers.

Updating! I'd say 50% through.
Patching system files...

I know many here don't visit XDA, myself included. I stop visiting the forum after my ROM phased went away. But incase some Nexus 4 owners are not aware you can download the Nexus 4 Tool Kit. Helps with installing drivers and many other cool things:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1995688

Zeppu

Yeah me too. I used to live on there when I had my HTC Hero. The Galaxy Nexus proved to be good with just the stock roms, so I stopped messing around with it.

Also, 4.3'd bitches.

PriitV

I lost patience waiting for the OTA like the impatient whore I am, so I decided to sideload 4.3 but I keep getting an error similar to this
Code:
Installing update
Warning: No file_contextsassert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop","ro.build.fingerprint") =="google/occam/mako:4.2.2/JDQ39/573038:user/release-keys" || 
file_getprop("/system/build.prop". "ro.build.fingerprint") = = "google/occam/mako:4.3/JWR66V/737497:user/release-keys"
Installation aborted

anybody can tell me whassup?
Are you using the latest ADB toolkit?

Zeppu

notice any differences in speed?

It feels just a tad snappier. And it doesn't seem to lag as much when exiting apps and games.

Google Now certainly launches quicker, Chrome as well. And the Launcher used to die when returning from a 'heavy' app, which I haven't noticed yed.

kehs

Banned
It feels just a tad snappier. And it doesn't seem to lag as much when exiting apps and games.

Google Now certainly launches quicker, Chrome as well. And the Launcher used to die when returning from a 'heavy' app, which I haven't noticed yed.

Really? Now seems a little slower to me to be honest.

SimleuqiR

Really? Now seems a little slower to me to be honest.

I have to agree. It stutters a bit, especially on Mobile Gaf. That and I've seen some weird graphical glitches, for example: when rapidly scrolling to the bottom of mobile Gaf, the Ad at the bottom gets all blurry - it make me feel like I new glasses. About a second later it corrects itself.

Zeppu

I have to agree. It stutters a bit, especially on Mobile Gaf. That and I've seen some weird graphical glitches, for example: when rapidly scrolling to the bottom of mobile Gaf, the Ad at the bottom gets all blurry - it make me feel like I new glasses. About a second later it corrects itself.

A phone is more than just a browser though. That being said, Chrome, while just a slow to initially load a page seems to scroll faster, yet is more jittery while doing so.

There are the first 10 mins of impressions though, but overall I'm much happier than I was with 4.2.

kehs

Banned

I actually meant Google now, but now that you mention it..Yea mobile gaf seems slow too

peeps...

Google Engineer Explains Why Multi-User Isn't Enabled For Phones, Offers Hope For Future Functionality

"...it is not at all clear how it should work on a phone, specifically with respect to SMS and phone calls," writes Dan Morrill, Google Engineer and a regular on the popular /r/Android subreddit. "Suppose you have device sharing enabled and then a call comes in. Who gets it? Do you punch through to the current user? Only the owner gets it? If only the owner can answer, does it ring for the second user? Is it worse to annoy the current user with a ringing phone they can't answer, or worse for dad to miss a call from his boss because Junior was playing Angry Birds?" Morrill cites user research as Google's primary reason for leaving multi-user off of post-4.2 phone builds.
so there's that...

kehs

Banned
I just reread Morrill's response in full.

I'm floored he would respond like that....he always seems so logical.

Owner gets everything...and then you use your recently introduced profiles to deliver the rest?

wtf.

It's not brain surgery. I'm actually starting to get tired of their ridiculous explanations. It's like the logic team is on vacation indefinitely.

but seriously though... should a second user be able to see your texts? contacts? make calls? answer calls? even on here, i've seen people wish for this functionality just so other people can't snoop in their phone when using it... and at minimum, that has to cover SMS... maybe contacts and call log... these are all tough questions and Google does not have the answers!

kehs

Banned
but seriously though... should a second user be able to see your texts? contacts? make calls? answer calls? even on here, i've seen people wish for this functionality just so other people can't snoop in their phone when using it... and at minimum, that has to cover SMS... maybe contacts and call log... these are all tough questions and Google does not have the answers!

They just introduced a bunch of fine grained controls for those things.

Their user profiles already cover who can see what data.

Of course google has the answers, they somehow manage to deal with emails, google voice and all kinds of private data between users on chrome...tablets...chromeos...enterprise...pages...

these are all tough questions and Google does not have the answers!

i just got facelessed

SimleuqiR

My phone is my most personal device. I don't see a need to share it, with anyone.
A tablet? Sure. My tablet stays at home most of the time, so if another family member wants to use it while I'm out, that's fine.

Zeppu

My phone is my most personal device. I don't see a need to share it, with anyone.
A tablet? Sure. My tablet stays at home most of the time, so if another family member wants to use it while I'm out, that's fine.

Pretty much this. The concept of 'sharing' a phone is silly since it's always going to be predominantly in the hands of a single user and all incoming communications should go directly to that user. A tablet, laptop, pc or even an mp3 player can easily be used by multiple people if different profiles/users are allowed.

kehs

Banned

Pretty much this. The concept of 'sharing' a phone is silly since it's always going to be predominantly in the hands of a single user and all incoming communications should go directly to that user. A tablet, laptop, pc or even an mp3 player can easily be used by multiple people if different profiles/users are allowed.

Suprised to hear this from simleliqui, since I know you have an G apps count.

But I'm dying to have multi user acccounts so I can have multiple dropbox accounts for work/private stuff. auto upload stuff for g+ too. I currently have a few of my business accounts on my phone, obvisouly, but I'd rather not have them so easily accessible and accidental when sending personal emails.

If they put this on phones, they'll stomp out RIM in enterprise to be honest, toss in a dual sim phone....it's over.

---

4K support in Android

Just in time to compete with WP8.1 2017 1080p support!

SimleuqiR

Suprised to hear this from simleliqui, since I know you have an G apps count.

But I'm dying to have multi user acccounts so I can have multiple dropbox accounts for work/private stuff. auto upload stuff for g+ too. I currently have a few of my business accounts on my phone, obvisouly, but I'd rather not have them so easily accessible and accidental when sending personal emails.

If they put this on phones, they'll stomp out RIM in enterprise to be honest, toss in a dual sim phone....it's over.

I get NOW why you might have the need for this. I get the need to separate your personal accounts from business one. In the end it is still for the purpose of one person to use.

Google will have to educate users, letting them know that your phone calls and SMS will be shared with all accounts (profiles). That's all.

They just have to have a big as warning screen stating this, so users know that these other accounts are not meant to be share with anyone else.

Zeppu

I get NOW why you might have the need for this. I get the need to separate your personal accounts from business one. In the end it is still for the purpose of one person to use.

Google will have to educate users, letting them know that your phone calls and SMS will be shared with all accounts (profiles). That's all.

They just have to have a big as warning screen stating this, so users know that these other accounts are not meant to be share with anyone else.

Or (*gasp!*) an option!

but sharing SMS and calls is exactly what some of the people who want this feature want to avoid!

Option? As in, you don't want other accounts to get phone calls and SMS?

bingo.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Having options for everything is ridiculous. Google needs to make decisions for users and I'm perfectly OK with no multi user support on a phone. Makes sense to me.

Groof

did you rename the file? Make sure there is no blank spaces in the name of the file. The OTA zip I downloaded from Android Central was straight from the Google servers. Let me rephrase that, AC just linked to the server.

I had no problem sideloading it (adb sideload C:\update.zip)
I did get a "no file_contextassert failed" message but the file was verified and the installation went through with not problems.
Yeah I got it from AC as well, and I only renamed it to update.zip. It verifies and starts to install it but that's where the error pops up.

Are you using the latest ADB toolkit?
Using the one from this guide.

Having options for everything is ridiculous. Google needs to make decisions for users and I'm perfectly OK with no multi user support on a phone. Makes sense to me.

are you ok with no USB OTG?

i'm just glad that China made them guarantee to release the source code for the next few years!

SimleuqiR

but sharing SMS and calls is exactly what some of the people who want this feature want to avoid!

bingo.

But it's your phone. To most people it's your business' lifeline. Why wouldn't you want to be able to get calls at any time, regardless of the profile?

Anyway, I'm just playing devil's advocate. My ass barely makes calls, so I guess I wouldn't mind NOT getting calls but just on the main account. lol

SimleuqiR

Yeah I got it from AC as well, and I only renamed it to update.zip. It verifies and starts to install it but that's where the error pops up.

Using the one from this guide.

I know that the Nexus Tool Kit has a different option for Rooted phones. Their ADB sideload didn't work for me because I'm not rooted. So I had to do it using the SDK's Platform-Tools folder.

Could be that you can't sideload through ADB via recovery cause you are rooted?

Ephemeris

My phone is my most personal device. I don't see a need to share it, with anyone..

This is me.

For those times where someone wants to borrow my phone for whatever reason, I'm never far away.

Stann-And-Bisbing-Get-Too-CLose-For-Comfort.jpg

"I'll be right here. Just let me know when you're done."

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm extremely interested in CM's project Nemesis. It's not the camera app per say, but the fact that they seem to be wanting to really design more of their own core apps as they feel they are lacking in stock Android. I can't wait to see what they do next.

I hope I get the new camera app this weekend in a nightly for my phone! :p

Groof

I know that the Nexus Tool Kit has a different option for Rooted phones. Their ADB sideload didn't work for me because I'm not rooted. So I had to do it using the SDK's Platform-Tools folder.

Could be that you can't sideload through ADB via recovery cause you are rooted?

Hmm might be. Didn't even see the Tool Kit's ADB sideload option so I'm trying that now.

edit: didn't work but I think I know what the problem might be. Gonna try to solve this real quick.

Some people share it with their kids as in letting them use it to kill time or even at home to play with games and educational apps. So I can understand a scenario where people might want profiles.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What if I really want Google to update my phone, but don't want to do it manually, because I'm not 16 anymore and have a real life with no time left for this shit?

One of the main reasons I love CM is the fact that I can update with ease. You can just go into your phone and search for the updates you want, and if it's there download. Then you can click reboot/install and it does everything for you.

No more having to manually fuck with fastboot flashing shit for me.

kehs

Banned
YouTube is better on ChromeCast than Google TV
I've been testing ChromeCast with various YouTube videos and playlists and the experience is way better than on any of my Google TV devices.

Gone are those annoying messages about not having enough bandwidth and then having to watch low resolution videos. The videos on ChromeCast are the best quality I have seen on my TV. I have tested playlists that run for hours without any issues on the ChromeCast. Once I saw a progress indicator and I thought it would downgrade the video like it always does on Google TV, but it recovered and kept playing the high resolution video.

The really amazing part is that ChromeCast is doing all of this over Wifi. I have never had a good experience with Wifi with any of my Google TV devices and have them all wired. Networking, especially Wifi issues is the number one issue that users of +Able Remote complain about to us.

Using the YouTube app for Casting is mostly a very good experience. However, I wish there was a way to play all the videos in the default categories like "Recommended" or "Trending" like it does for playlists. Also, it happened a few times that the YouTube app forgot I was casting and started playing on the mobile device.

smh

https://plus.google.com/117916055521642810655/posts/7x7KeoVxG1L

Groof

Cool. Are you on stock recovery?

Yeah, I'm running everything as stock as can be, except with root privileges because those are awesome.
Fixed the issue and 4.3 seems to be installing as it should now! It was basically refusing to sideload it because I had changed the fallback-font.xml. Gonna push 4.3 to my N7 next!

VoxPop

Hey guys I'm going to South Korea in a couple of months for the hell of it and planning on taking my unlocked HTC One there. I heard they mostly use CDMA though. Will my phone work there? If it does, how do I go about getting a micro SIM for it?

One of the main reasons I love CM is the fact that I can update with ease. You can just go into your phone and search for the updates you want, and if it's there download. Then you can click reboot/install and it does everything for you.

No more having to manually fuck with fastboot flashing shit for me.

If someone didn't want to mess around with manually forcing updates through, I doubt they'd want to deal with CM and checking XDA every night for the "GPS lock is slow/broken on this build guys!!" or "phone locks up after placing a call" type posts.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been traveling. So I'm missing some details.

Chromecast. Can I play TV over it? Can I AirPlay over it? Or like airplay?

Groof

Hey guys I'm going to South Korea in a couple of months for the hell of it and planning on taking my unlocked HTC One there. I heard they mostly use CDMA though. Will my phone work there? If it does, how do I go about getting a micro SIM for it?

When I was living there I was using my European S2 with a Korean SIM without problems so it should work on a HTC One as well. They've probably got some kiosks or something selling SIMs at the airport, but those are probably overpriced. The way I did it was get a Korean to sign me up for a short-term contract.

GatorBait

Going to cross-post this from the new Nexus 7 thread because I think I may get some additional feedback here:

Thinking of selling off my iPad 2 and picking up a Nexus 7 (I'd like to move to something a little more portable and for greater use as an e-reader). Some questions though, for anyone who can help:

1. How "bad" is viewing certain content on the 7" screen? I have heard some negatives about viewing certain content on the Nexus 7's aspect ratio.

2. I notice it has Qi charging. If I buy the premium Asus cover (the one that looks like a smart case), will the charging work with the cover still on? Anyone have any experience with this with phones?

3. Anyone else made the change from a 10" iPad to a Nexus? What has been your experience thus far on the positives/negatives with your switch?

VoxPop

When I was living there I was using my European S2 with a Korean SIM without problems so it should work on a HTC One as well. They've probably got some kiosks or something selling SIMs at the airport, but those are probably overpriced. The way I did it was get a Korean to sign me up for a short-term contract.

Sweet, thanks for the info. I'm gonna only be there for 3 weeks though. I'll probably just end up picking one up at the airport then. Thanks!

Groof

Sweet, thanks for the info. I'm gonna only be there for 3 weeks though. I'll probably just end up picking one up at the airport then. Thanks!

But you should look how those work up though, since I've never personally used one. I don't know if they sell SIMs, data or just loan phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom