• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

@evleaks ‏@evleaks 1m
Moto X, final artwork pic.twitter.com/3PhnWyxGoR

BQHdjSMCAAESz0G.png:large

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If someone didn't want to mess around with manually forcing updates through, I doubt they'd want to deal with CM and checking XDA every night for the "GPS lock is slow/broken on this build guys!!" or "phone locks up after placing a call" type posts.

Oh no I totally get that. It's why I've never commended a custom ROM to any of my friends and family despite like 3/4ths of them all have Android devices.

I just meant that even for me as someone who will go the XDA/Custom ROM root even I don't want to constantly deal with bullshit.

Eurgh, do not want. I've come to loath Sammy and their hardware, use a fucking snapdragon 800.

Considering that Exynos 5 Octa is the first and currently only commercially available implementation of big.LITTLE, it's probably okay to cut them a little slack here for the bugs in the first generation.

Groof

Where the fuck is my Play Games app.

edit: oh you have to install it from the play store

edit 2: sweet achievements are retroactive!

I just read/watched The Verge's review of the new N7. Something about it is really annoying. I think it's the repetitive format of "even though (slightly bad thing), it's still (fairly pleasant thing)" that every sentence seems to follow. The video and article basically recommend the device and call it one of the best tablets and an unbeatable value, all while impressively sounding completely bored by the product and apathetic to its existence.

And the review seems to take a bit of time to critique the writer's own media consumption habits. I'm all for a comprehensive piece analyzing what effect modern technology has on our motivation to educate and enrich ourselves, but it should be separate from a review of a specific product.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/26/4558626/google-nexus-7-review-2013

Talon

I just read/watched The Verge's review of the new N7. Something about it is really annoying. I think it's the repetitive format of "even though (slightly bad thing), it's still (fairly pleasant thing)" that every sentence seems to follow. The video and article basically recommend the device and call it one of the best tablets and an unbeatable value, all while impressively sounding completely bored by the product and apathetic to its existence.

And the review seems to take a bit of time to critique the writer's own media consumption habits. I'm all for a comprehensive piece analyzing what effect modern technology has on our motivation to educate and enrich ourselves, but it should be separate from a review of a specific product.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/26/4558626/google-nexus-7-review-2013
I don't like David Pierce's reviews. They're always caveat city.

I prefer Nilay's the best. He's the most blunt out of all of their crew. Dieter's reviews are pretty concise as well.

Yeah, just got the update notification for the 4.3 update.

I was toying with the idea of rooting my nexus 4 after the update, is there any reliable instruction for doing this? Kinda like the dummy version, since i never rooted any of my devices.

Any tips from the experienced rooter here?

Thanks in advance!

SimleuqiR

I was toying with the idea of rooting my nexus 4 after the update, is there any reliable instruction for doing this? Kinda like the dummy version, since i never rooted any of my devices.

Thanks in advance!

Why do you want to root? Is it to get the updates faster?
You don't need to root to be able to sideload an official OTA update file.

Groof

Thanks in advance!
Nexus root toolkit by wugfresh. Makes the process so easy. But 4.3 seems to have changed the rooting stuff a bit.

Talon

Color reproduction on both the AMOLED of the Galaxy S4 and the LCD of the One is excellent to me. With that said, I feel like you get deeper colors which in turn means greater detail in whatever you are viewing with the AMOLED on the Galaxy S4. For example, at full brightness and indoors, the HTC One’s LCD display appears washed out to me, while the Galaxy S4′s AMOLED display only gets better the brighter you go. I think Samsung plays to their strengths in the UI by offering up stock wallpapers that accent the great blues that an AMOLED can display, but it’s not just there that I’m seeing the benefits. From icons to Google Maps to this website, the colors all match what my naked eye sees on any other display or in reality.
Droid Life. "This looks good to me!"

The anti-Anandtech.

zedge

Except he really likes Apple products. Like, he really likes them.
So? That's his right no? Seems silly to criticise someone if they have different tastes. :shrug

I'm not an apple fan at all but it doesn't really bother me.

The guy even uses a Google HTC one for his main phone.

thespot84

No reason to be dogmatic about gadgets, brah.

This. Watching the google presser the other day really irked me when the guy would announce a 'feature' like it was the second coming of jesus, and pause with the N7 up in his hand for a few seconds for pictures and applause (which thankfully he rarely got). It's 1mm thinner? good for you. It has a high PPI? good for you.

It's device worship and it's disgusting. Madison Ave invented it in the 50's, Apple perfected it, and everyone else has completely jumped on board.

So? That's his right no? Seems silly to criticise someone if they have different tastes. :shrug

I'm not an apple fan at all but it doesn't really bother me.

The guy even uses a Google HTC one for his main phone.

You're right, it was Paul who comes off as overly biased towards Apple.

kehs

Banned

More specifically, Kenya, where it has price of only 10 000 Kenyan Shillings (the equivalent of about US$120).

Intel specs the Yolo with a 1.2GHz single-core processor (which features Hyperthreading) and that’s paired to a minimal 512MB of RAM, and 4GB of on-board storage. The latter can be upgraded by up to 32GB with a microSD card, which will help store photos from the 5-megapixel camera. At full tilt, the Yolo can capture 7 photos in a second, using burst mode, and it’l also record 1080p video. Benchmarking the device on AnTuTu saw the it besting the Galaxy SII and the Galaxy Nexus – surprising, at first, but it’s great to see that today’s entry-level hardware beating yesterday’s flagships.

the googsters gonna take over emerging markets without breaking a sweat.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Verge said:
The first Nexus 7 was a soft, plushy device that felt both comfortable and almost disposable. With plastic edges and a dimpled back, it was more toy than machine. The new model trades up to a sleek, classy, all-black body that very clearly means business. This isn't a toy anymore; it's a tablet for serious people who do serious things.

My eyes rolled right out of their sockets.

e5YuU.gif

Forsete

Bros help me out here.

I currently have a Galaxy Nexus which is pissing me off. It is slow, it has shit battery life (during a work day I barely make it through a day using automatic brightness setting) even with the extended Samsoon battery.

So I need a new phone, hopefully an Android.

Sony Z - Seems solid, never had a Sony Android. Battery life? Not a huge fan of the all glass body though, seems like a magnet for glass crushing. :p

HTC One - Looks very nice but read it had shitty battery life. I heard a Google version will be sold but the question is when it gets here (Sweden). Cant I install a vanilla Android on a regular HTC One? :/

Any others? No shitty Samsoon plastic phones please.
Should I wait for something?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Bros help me out here.

I currently have a Galaxy Nexus which is pissing me off. It is slow, it has shit battery life (during a work day I barely make it through a day using automatic brightness setting) even with the extended Samsoon battery.

So I need a new phone, hopefully an Android.

Sony Z - Seems solid, never had a Sony Android. Battery life? Not a huge fan of the all glass body though, seems like a magnet for glass crushing. :p

HTC One - Looks very nice but read it had shitty battery life. I heard a Google version will be sold but the question is when it gets here (Sweden). Cant I install a vanilla Android on a regular HTC One? :/

Any others? No shitty Samsoon plastic phones please.
Should I wait for something?

Right Now: Nexus 4
In a Week: Moto X
In Four Months: Nexus 5

Forsete

Right Now: Nexus 4
In a Week: Moto X
In Four Months: Nexus 5

Nexus 4 was underpowered I thought? Also LGs quality control seems shitty.

Moto X, yeah maybe. Lets see the specs. :p Question is will I survive a week + time for delivery? Sometimes I am ready to snap my GN in two or just kill it with a pistol.

Nexus 4 was underpowered I thought? Also LGs quality control seems shitty.

Moto X, yeah maybe. Lets see the specs. :p Question is will I survive a week + time for delivery? Sometimes I am ready to snap my GN in two or just kill it with a pistol.
The Nexus 4 is on steroids compared to a GN, I did the switch and love it. A very fast and smooth android experience. Plus the phone feels premium with the glass back (if you don't like the Sammy plastic)

Gotta agree with the quality control though, there are a lot of models with weird issues so you have to watch out.

If you like vanilla android you can't really go wrong with the N4 however right now best would be to wait what the moto x offers.

Shitty battery life, what? I've yet to hear anyone call the battery life shitty.

Marco1

If google own motorola then why do motorola not have the nexus range?
Why do google not use their own motorola company to release flagship devices such as the iphone each year?

xptoxyz

You can use the same ROM but without OTA updates so that probably means re-flashing every time a new version comes out, if you want to be up to date. I think that's what I heard when they came out, but maybe someone more up to date can chime in.

Why do google not use their own motorola company to release flagship devices such as the iphone each year?

Not showing preference toward Moto when it comes to Android as to not alienate other OEMs?

kehs

Banned
So it gets a good score in Antutu... that was the benchmark Intel cheats at, right?

#YOLO, yes it think that was the benchmark they were payolaing. Although the phone does look smooth, it's using the same chipset as the razar m, I believe.

Android/Nexus team is walled off from the Moto phone division, for the sake of AOSP.

Forsete

The Nexus 4 is on steroids compared to a GN, I did the switch and love it. A very fast and smooth android experience. Plus the phone feels premium with the glass back (if you don't like the Sammy plastic)

Gotta agree with the quality control though, there are a lot of models with weird issues so you have to watch out.

If you like vanilla android you can't really go wrong with the N4 however right now best would be to wait what the moto x offers.

Thanks. However as I am making the switch now the N4 feels a bit old, if the Moto X is coming out so soon.

I have a friend who returned 4 N4s because they had issues, that turned me off also.

Shitty battery life, what? I've yet to hear anyone call the battery life shitty.

Verge review complained about the bat. And various forum posts on Swedroid. :/

Arkanius

Batery life on my One is fantastic.
HTC really did a good job on the standby time.

Check Anandtech review for a good test and hands on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom