• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seriously considering the Nexus 7 LTE as my primary device, getting by with VoIP apps for the rare calls I make, but I think it would just be too ridiculous having to lug it around. I wish there was a Nexus phablet.

just use a bluetooth headset
I don't care about the talking. It's just that I can't get it in every pocket so I'll need some sort of bag, and even if it was in my pocket, I'd need to take it out every time I sit down or even when I lean a certain way. Yeah, I can't imagine doing it.

Plus, I kinda want to see if the always listening feature on the Moto X will be worthwhile.

thespot84

I don't care about the talking. It's just that I can't get it in every pocket so I'll need some sort of bag, and even if it was in my pocket, I'd need to take it out every time I sit down or even when I lean a certain way. Yeah, I can't imagine doing it.

Plus, I kinda want to see if the always listening feature on the Moto X will be worthwhile.

Clearly you need a nexus 7 holster.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't like David Pierce's reviews. They're always caveat city.

I prefer Nilay's the best. He's the most blunt out of all of their crew. Dieter's reviews are pretty concise as well.

It's not the caveat that gets me. It's that David always seems so generally bored doing his job. You'd fool me if I was told he even likes working at the Verge. He always sounds so apathetic in his video reviews, and his inflection is never near clear either good or bad. He just always sounds like "meh" and it annoys the fuck out of me.

Baconbitz

Banned
since I'm new to Android I'm wondering if there is an easy way to update my Nexus 7 to Android 4.3 without rooting it. I tried to update via settings. No luck.

snacknuts

we all knew her
There seems to be an assumption that the Moto X will have a lot of the same internals as the new Droid devices, but that it will also have a significantly lower price. Am I the only one curious how that would work?

Vanillalite

since I'm new to Android I'm wondering if there is an easy way to update my Nexus 7 to Android 4.3 without rooting it. I tried to update via settings. No luck.

Honestly just wait it out. It'll pop up on your device in the next few days, and you'll be fine.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Yeah, you should probably just wait. My N7 updated itself today, yours probably will in another day or two. 4.3 isn't anything special enough to bother doing manual updates anyways.

There seems to be an assumption that the Moto X will have a lot of the same internals as the new Droid devices, but that it will also have a significantly lower price. Am I the only one curious how that would work?
All the R&D costs are wrapped up in the Droids and Google is subsidizing the X?

Hieberrr

Anyone else's photo gallery widget broken? Every time I try to crop the photo before making it a widget renders me unable to actually put the widget onto the home screens. It just...disappears.

Forsete

There are legitimate criticisms to have towards The One.

Battery life is not one of them.

Battery life is one of the best on the market lol. Wow.

Batery life on my One is fantastic.
HTC really did a good job on the standby time.

Check Anandtech review for a good test and hands on

Not my words! :p

Ok, so they said average.

First, I ran the Verge Battery Test, our standard test that cycles through a series of popular websites and high-res images with brightness set to 65 percent. The One lasted 4 hours, 48 minutes, a decidedly average score — it's slightly better than poor performers like the Droid DNA (4 hours, 25 minutes), but a long way from our battery life favorites, the Droid RAZR HD (9 hours, 35 minutes) and the RAZR Maxx HD (12 hours, 43 minutes). Streaming the 103-minute Ferris Bueller's Day Off over Wi-Fi from Netflix also burned 58 percent of the device's battery. If you're using it normally (which means relatively lightly), it should last you a whole day, but the One is a decidedly average performer when it comes to battery life.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/11/4086390/htc-one-review

kehs

Banned
Well I notice more of a difference on my n7 than I do on my n4 with 4.3.

I was a little surprised that the ota worked with a custom recovery BTW....I don't think this has ever been the case, right?

Like it booting into recovery and install the official ota package after hitting install in the settings.

The Verge + actual testing = lol. Adjusting the brightness using percentages is stupid. For example: The One has a max brightness of aroud 490 nits. The Galaxy S4 has a max brightness of about 303 nits.

So at The Verge they test the One at 319 nits and the GS4 at 196 nits. It's just stupid.

Absolute brightness is not a good measurement tool because the GS4 has an infinite contrast ratio and OLED. It would unfairly handicap the GS4 to give it equal brightness because the contrast will be leagues better on it. Basically it just boils down to different technologies and design decisions. It allows Samsung to get better results for less power drawn, one of the major advantages of OLED, it would be wrong for The Verge to negate that advantage for little reason beyond giving LCD based phones a leg up.

Vanillalite

Well I notice more of a difference on my n7 than I do on my n4 with 4.3.

I was a little surprised that the ota worked with a custom recovery BTW....I don't think this has ever been the case, right?

Like it booting into recovery and install the official ota package after hitting install in the settings.

How much better is the N7 with 4.3? Does it "fix" the issue some were complaining about in terms of gradual slowdown the longer they owned the N7?

kehs

Banned
How much better is the N7 with 4.3? Does it "fix" the issue some were complaining about in terms of gradual slowdown the longer they owned the N7?

I only just updated last night, and haven't really been using for the last few days but everything appears to be quicker at things like switching apps, although it could be just from the update clearing out cache and things.

Groof

From what I understand they enabled fstrim on an OS level now, so it'll do it automatically now. No more lagfix app!

Blackhead

Redarse

Yes, according to Anandtech:
The new Nexus 7 (2013) with Android 4.3 includes support for fstrim, essentially idle garbage collection, which TRIMs the eMMC when a few conditions are met – the device is idle, screen off, and battery above roughly 70-percent. I’m told that TRIM support has been part of the eMMC standard since around version 4.2, it was just a matter of enabling it in software. The result is that the new Nexus 7 shouldn’t have these aging affects at all. Better yet, fstrim support has also been added to the old Nexus 7 with as of the Android 4.3 update, so if you’ve got a Nexus 7 that feels slow, I/O performance should get better after fstrim runs in the background. I'm checking on whether the other Nexus devices have also had TRIM support added. I would consider the slow storage aging problem fixed as of now, and Google took the eMMC and storage I/O performance issues with the previous Nexus 7 to heart for this version.

The other question is: does 4.3 fix the software bugs on the Nexus 10?

Zeppu

Yeah, it's like, who cares about profits? Look at all that cash Apple has.

If you look at the year by year growth of the number of movies released which narrate the life of the founder, you'll also see that Apple is seriously crushing the competition.

Talon

Oh. Now what? Surely there must be some metric at which Apple is still 'winning'.
Apple plays a vertical game. Google plays a horizontal game. Nobody needs to "win."

This constant horseracing over corporations is tiresome.

This message brought to you by Prudential Financial Insurance.

What's even different about it? I haven't checked yet.

Wonder if there's a flashable zip for the S4 yet that doesn't lose MMS messaging or some other weird quirk.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's not the caveat that gets me. It's that David always seems so generally bored doing his job. You'd fool me if I was told he even likes working at the Verge. He always sounds so apathetic in his video reviews, and his inflection is never near clear either good or bad. He just always sounds like "meh" and it annoys the fuck out of me.

I hate that he did the 1020 review because of that same attitude. He was fair in the review for the most part, but his video review reflected the stuff you mention in the post plus his text reads in the same "meh" manner.

Forsete

The Verge + actual testing = lol. Adjusting the brightness using percentages is stupid. For example: The One has a max brightness of aroud 490 nits. The Galaxy S4 has a max brightness of about 303 nits.

So at The Verge they test the One at 319 nits and the GS4 at 196 nits. It's just stupid.

Good to know. :)

Well I couldnt wait any longer so I got a HTC One today. Silver. Very nice phone and super fast compared to my GN.

Thanks for the help guys.

Fuck! Got the OTA 4.3 update on my Nexus 4 and now Apex launcher won't work and I can't seem to download anything from the store! I keep getting error messages when I try to download anything. About to take a hammer to this phone. wtf :(

Groof

Fuck! Got the OTA 4.3 update on my Nexus 4 and now Apex launcher won't work and I can't seem to download anything from the store! I keep getting error messages when I try to download anything. About to take a hammer to this phone. wtf :(

Try removing and re-adding your Google account(s).

Groof

OK, thanks and thanks for the quick reply. I can't find where/ how to remove the account though...

When you're in the sync options for the account, press the menu button (the three dots in the upper right hand corner) and there'll be an option to remove account. Godspeed!

vdlow

Funny, I had the same problem yesterday, but on my Nexus 7 and still on 4.2. I removed my account just like Groof said and when I added it again, everything was working fine.

Then moments later I updated to 4.3, and fortunately the problem didn't happen again.

Groof

Funny, I had the same problem yesterday, but on my Nexus 7 and still on 4.2. I removed my account just like Groof said and when I added it again, everything was working fine.

Then moments later I updated to 4.3, and fortunately the problem didn't happen again.

Did you try to do the framework services tríck? Because that's known to fuck things up in this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom