• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, I had the same problem yesterday, but on my Nexus 7 and still on 4.2. I removed my account just like Groof said and when I added it again, everything was working fine.

Then moments later I updated to 4.3, and fortunately the problem didn't happen again.

Gotta say, it's really lame that this error is so common (I did a little searching afterward).

In addition to that snafu, I was forced to uninstall and reinstall Apex Launcher and lost all of my settings, widgets, and home screens along the way. Also, geolocation seems really messed up on some apps. Several won't/ can't find my location while some can.

I've been a big Android booster for years (was a N1 guy and now on N4) but I'm so furious about this bungled update that I'm thinking of switching. Really atrocious amateur hour business from Google :(

vdlow

Did you try to do the framework services tríck? Because that's known to fuck things up in this way.

Nope. Not this time. I did it when the 4.2 update was released last year and it messed up with a lot of things, I've promised myself that I would never do that again. lol

Thinking again, it happened after I installed a Play Store update using an APK from Android Police. It probably has nothing to do with the problem, but is the only "different" thing that I did.

Groof

Nope. Not this time. I did it when the 4.2 update was released last year and it messed up with a lot of things, I've promised myself that I would never do that again. lol

Thinking again, it happened after I installed a Play Store update using an APK from Android Police. It probably has nothing to do with the problem, but is the only "different" thing that I did.

Hmm, was it the 4.2.9 update? Because if so I just updated to that as well from their site. If the same happens to me I'll report back, and then maybe it's something to do with the apk.

Nicktendo86

Gotta say, it's really lame that this error is so common (I did a little searching afterward).

In addition to that snafu, I was forced to uninstall and reinstall Apex Launcher and lost all of my settings, widgets, and home screens along the way. Also, geolocation seems really messed up on some apps. Several won't/ can't find my location while some can.

I've been a big Android booster for years (was a N1 guy and now on N4) but I'm so furious about this bungled update that I'm thinking of switching. Really atrocious amateur hour business from Google :(

Shit happens mate, same thin happens sometimes when people update iPhones. You were just unlucky :(

Nicktendo86

I know. And I have way fewer issues with Android than iOS. I guess I'm just fed up with shoddy updates, poor customer treatment and amateurish programming over all. Rant over. Sorry!
Ah I feel you pain. I am pissed off that google thinks only the US exisits and treats the rest of the world like shit.

Matugi

I'm still really torn on whether or not I want to get a tablet. I don't read much and will have my laptop in my dorm next year at the very least. I almost would rather get the next Asus transformer thing because that seems like it'd be useful for taking notes in class. What other cool things can I do with a tablet besides read and watch Netflix (for which I'll have a PS3 in my dorm)?

kehs

Banned
Welp this is why stuff like Roundr persisten notification sticks around....

Totally Lame

Diane Hackborne said:
Now that 4.3 is out, something worth mentioning --

We discovered that there have started to appear applications abusing the Service.startForeground() API -- which is http://developer.android.com/refere...startForeground(int, android.app.Notification) -- to make their application unkillable without the user knowing.

They were doing this by creating a carefully malformed Notification object that resulted in the notification manager not posting the notification, even though the activity manager thought things were fine and so allowed the service to go in the foreground state.

Originally we were going to solve this by just being better at detecting this kind of malformed notification, and crashing the app like we do on other bad notifications. Unfortunately, there are too many applications doing this for that to be a viable approach.

Instead, what we ultimately did in 4.3 is have the system put up its own notification when it detects this so that the user is aware of what is going on and the app doesn't have incentive any more to do this.

If you have an application that has been doing this, you'll want to update your app to stop doing it, so your users don't see the less-than-optimal generic system notification it creates for you.

https://plus.google.com/105051985738280261832/posts/MTinJWdNL8t

Apex Launcher has a menu option to save your config. it saves everything except widgets, which it can't save without being a System app.

Still waiting on my Nexus 10 update, Google. I appreciate the reasons for slow rollouts (server loads I assume), but I sure don't like waiting for them.

Nokia to Apple to Samsung to......who's next?
I could potentially see it go to Apple again... eventually. With some of the rumors like a cheaper model and a larger screen model iPhone it might give Apple the variety it needs to compete with Samsung, at least from a hardware perspective. Maybe they'll innovate again and make the first phone with a holographic display or something crazy, haha.

But it's not like Samsung is going anywhere, and if they keep pumping out quality products I can see them being on top for a while, unless other android makers start eating into their profits.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There is no argument left, whether its in terms of dominant mobile OS or leader in smartphone sales and profits.

Apple could see an uptick if iOS7 is as good as advertised and if/when Apple ever tries to get a cheaper model out there.

The developing market is largely untapped by Apple IMO because of the high barrier to entry.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Moto baby.

xWIS62M.png

numble

There is no argument left, whether its in terms of dominant mobile OS or leader in smartphone sales and profits.

Strategy Analytics uses shaky math to come to its conclusion. It knows that Samsung reported $5.6 billion operating profit from tablet, smartphone, PC, and networking sales (Samsung reports it all as its IM division), so it assumes that $5.2 billion out of the $5.6 billion is connected to handsets. It knows that Apple reported $9.2 billion operating profit from the same products (except networking), and assumes that $4.6 billion out of the $9.2 billion is connected to iPhone. A shaky assumption when most believe that iPhone accounts for over 50% of operating profit:

i1fvNdxl.jpg

TLDR: Strategy Analytics estimates that $5.2 out of $5.6 billion Samsung electronics profits is related to handsets, and only $4.6 out of $9.2 billion Apple profits are related to handsets.

Other notes:
- It doesn't get into your claim of smartphone profits at all, simply handset profits.
- I don't know why The Guardian's article claims Strategy Analytics said Apple made only $3.2 billion profit from iPhones, when the Strategy Analytics press release clearly says $4.6. I wonder if they were doing a calculation based on net profit initially to arrive at that, and changed their press release after the fact.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nimble with the defense, can't say I'm surprised.

In any case the math is shaky today, but come on, we all know...

Smith_why_we're_here.JPG

It is inevitable.

numble

Nimble with the defense, can't say I'm surprised.

In any case the math is shaky today, but come on, we all know...

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060824234956/matrix/images/5/55/Smith_why_we're_here.JPG[img]

It is inevitable.[/QUOTE]
A critique of the analysis is not a defense.

If the baseline numbers from which the estimates were derived were farther apart, I would agree. I don't see that only $4.6 out of $9.2 billion is from iPhone, when iPhone sales were up while Mac and iPad sales were down that quarter, iPad sales have had a more dramatic drop in margin and profit, and iPhone is traditionally the lion share of profit.

tino

Banned

I have no idea how much of Apple's money was from iPhones. Tim Cook better announce that fable iWatch or iTV soon.

Also, Apple have been giving hints of merging OSX and iOS for a while now. I don't know if they did that to trick MS into merging the mobile and desktop UI into a stupid mess, or they actually meant to do that. However if the mobile profile drop back to only half of Apple's profit again then I don't see the reason for Apple to sacrifice the professional oriented OSX UI to cater to the iOS audience.

numble

I have no idea how much of Apple's money was from iPhones.
Well, we can get a good idea of revenue from iPhones, since Apple provides total iPhone sales (31 million) and average selling price ($580); you can derive total iPhone revenue of $18 billion. If it only made $4.6 billion profit out of $18 billion revenue, which is Strategy Analytics estimate, that implies a margin of 25.6%, when Apple's total gross margin was 36.9%--which would require margins on iPad and Macs to be insanely high amid a quarter of declining sales and decreasing prices to pick up the slack. Most analysts assume iPhone to be the highest margin product, not the low margin product.

R.I.P. Google Wallet?!?

Update: Director of Product Management for Google Wallet Peter Hazlehurst dropped by our comments section below to confirm that Wallet is not compatible with the new Nexus 7 for the same reason as the HTC One Play Edition – the device does not carry a secure element, the small bit of hardware required to store encrypted card credentials on a device. This is required in order for Wallet to function, well, securely.

http://www.androidcentral.com/apps-week-supersu-magic-2014-pony-creator-and-more

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Is there an easy was to transfer stuff from my PC to N7? I want to move some of my comics, since I can't find a good online viewer. Wish I could upload them to my play books page.

kehs

Banned
Who uses wallet on a tablet?

who used wallet at all?

I don't give a shit about it anymore at this point.

I tried to use an "offer" the other day and the register jockey all "i need a paper coupon herp derp that's for internet use".

Unknown Soldier ain't got nothing on numble when it comes to loyalty.

It's a good thing I change my loyalty constantly. It would be boring to be loyal to the same thing forever, especially when the ship is sinking.

So far though nobody has shown anything which can touch my Note II. At the moment my loyalty remains safe, but who knows what will happen tomorrow?

Please be awesome, Xperia Z Ultra. And available in the US.

3 words...

She said yes
Was there a chance she wouldn't?

Not speaking about you, but it's always weird to me in movies when it's uncertain if the girl will say yes or no. If you're not sure both of you are planning the same future together, it's probably not the time to start one.

Anyway, congrats! Being married is the only reason (ok, I just had a kid so that's a second reason) I'm not living alone under a bridge somewhere :)

It's a good thing I change my loyalty constantly. It would be boring to be loyal to the same thing forever, especially when the ship is sinking.

So far though nobody has shown anything which can touch my Note II. At the moment my loyalty remains safe, but who knows what will happen tomorrow?

Please be awesome, Xperia Z Ultra. And available in the US.

i'm sure it will be available in the US on Sony.com, Amazon.com and other fine online retailers.

Talon

Well, we can get a good idea of revenue from iPhones, since Apple provides total iPhone sales (31 million) and average selling price ($580); you can derive total iPhone revenue of $18 billion. If it only made $4.6 billion profit out of $18 billion revenue, which is Strategy Analytics estimate, that implies a margin of 25.6%, when Apple's total gross margin was 36.9%--which would require margins on iPad and Macs to be insanely high amid a quarter of declining sales and decreasing prices to pick up the slack. Most analysts assume iPhone to be the highest margin product, not the low margin product.
Yeah, those numbers don't make much sense considering what we know from their quarterly results.
3 words...

She said yes
Congrats, Bretti!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom