• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
3 words...

She said yes

Nice work! No fragmentation here.

Bros, I will wait until the new app kinks from 4.3 are resolved. Plus, CM's update will likely take a couple weeks to work smoothly.

Nice work! No fragmentation here.

Bros, I will wait until the new app kinks from 4.3 are resolved. Plus, CM's update will likely take a couple weeks to work smoothly.

Since my Verizon Gnex isn't actually my main device anymore, I think it might be fun to muck around with the CM 10.2 dailies as they start dropping. There won't be official 4.3 from Verizon until November anyways amirite?

DXPett1

Play Store content is getting better and more expansive. Activated my free trial for All Access. Anyone know if you cancel a paid sub do you lose any music added to your library?

iavi

Play Store content is getting better and more expansive. Activated my free trial for All Access. Anyone know if you cancel a paid sub do you lose any music added to your library?

Anything that isn't stored in your locker, you lose access to, naturally. Everything else works as it did.

Music added to your library is not "yours" unless you buy it. So yes, if you cancel All Access, music you added to your library as part of your subscription is lost.

Blackhead

Redarse
3 words...

She said yes

Congrats

Well, we can get a good idea of revenue from iPhones, since Apple provides total iPhone sales (31 million) and average selling price ($580); you can derive total iPhone revenue of $18 billion. If it only made $4.6 billion profit out of $18 billion revenue, which is Strategy Analytics estimate, that implies a margin of 25.6%, when Apple's total gross margin was 36.9%--which would require margins on iPad and Macs to be insanely high amid a quarter of declining sales and decreasing prices to pick up the slack. Most analysts assume iPhone to be the highest margin product, not the low margin product.

A critique of the analysis is not a defense.

If the baseline numbers from which the estimates were derived were farther apart, I would agree. I don't see that only $4.6 out of $9.2 billion is from iPhone, when iPhone sales were up while Mac and iPad sales were down that quarter, iPad sales have had a more dramatic drop in margin and profit, and iPhone is traditionally the lion share of profit.
FWIW the iPhone ASP dropped more than the iPad ASP last quarter and the iPhone ASP was at an "historically-low":

And when questioned directly during the earnings call:
Macworld said:
Sanford Bernstein, Toni Sacconaghi: Provide some kind of gross margin bridge sequentially. Last quarter you had an impact for China warranty, but if you adjust for that gross margin was down, but mix of products relatively similar. Given that you're also riding the experience curve in these products, I was surprised given the mix, that gross margins were down as much as they were. Can you explain what happened?

Peter: Let me say, we're very please with the gross margin in the quarter, with 36.9, at the high end of the range. Sequential decline not a surprise to us. We understood the warranty effects in March, and as I said on last quarters call, I expected margins to be down for two reasons: lower sequential revenue and a different product mix, and as you can see, we reported very near the top end of it, and that seemed good.

Sacconaghi: Second thing was iPhone ASPs, down about 5 percent sequentially, down 10 percent over last two quarters. Presumably down to higher mix of 4s and 4Ss, but can you comment?

Peter: We're down 4% year over year in iPhone ASP, about $27. Primarily due to the mix of the product that we're selling and headwinds. As we anticipated, iPhone 4 has accelerated as we offer more affordable pricing in emerging markets. Sequentially down about $32, driven by mix as well, in part iPhone 4. Tim?

Tim: From an iPhone point of view, with the moves that we made on 4 and iPhone 5 continuing to be the most popular model, we saw very strong sales in prepaid markets.

macjournals: If iPhone ASPs are down 4% and that's about $27, it suggests Apple's calculation of ASP for iPhones is around $675.

macjournals: That's interesting to me because if you divide the revenue by unit numbers in Apple's data, you get $581 per iPhone. That, in turn, suggests segment revenue includes some options and services other than just phones.

macjournals: Got it: iPhone number “Includes deferrals and amortization of related non-software services and software upgrade rights.”

Regarding the warranty issue: Tim Cook Apologizes for China Customer Service
WSJ said:
In the letter, Mr. Cook said the company would amend its warranty policies for the iPhone 4 and 4S, streamline its customer feedback, give further training to Apple authorized resellers on warranty policy, and more clearly post its warranty policy on its website.

skybaby

Anyone getting music info and message reading on a Ford Fiesta in 4.3? It behaves the same for me, nothing changed from 4.2.2 :(

Talon

I'm just having a hard time balancing all the rumors with this device:

1. Cheap off-contract price.
2. Half billion dollar marketing budget.
3. Pushing thru carriers as well.

1 and 3 don't really work together, unless Moto is going to go all-in with T-mobile. I don't see why AT&T and Verizon would play ball.

Let's imagine a scenario where it actually is $0 on contract. Are Verizon and AT&T really going to push that phone over the S4, the new Droids, HTC One? On one hand, the fact that it could potentially be so cheap per device would make it advantageous for the carriers. A lower price per device + same "subisidized" contract = $$$. Still, I'm having a hard time imaging both Google and the carriers spitting in the face of Samsung (lol HTC, Sony, LG, etc.).

Not to mention Motorola being in a weird ass position of competing against itself with a lower margin device on Verizon.

Google doesn't care. They play a horizontal game. They're not in the devices game at all. The goal with Android was to avoid platform lock out on mobile - the web and services are the product. Anything else beyond that is gravy. Mission accomplished.

rookiejet

I'm glad Cyanogenmod resumed support for the One S. I just got one, and I'm loving it. It seems to be really well made, save for a slightly loose SIM and antenna cover at the top, which could be just mine that's faulty.

My dream phone would be a Nokia-made Android phone, till that happens I think I'll be quite satisfied with this one (no upgrade tread-mill for me :))

Talon

My dream phone would be a Nokia-made Android phone, till that happens I think I'll be quite satisfied with this one (no upgrade tread-mill for me :))
The upgrade treadmill is the best.

Sold my iPhone 5 on Ebay for $599. More than enough to cover the ETF and a new phone.

numble

Congrats

FWIW the iPhone ASP dropped more than the iPad ASP last quarter and the iPhone ASP was at an "historically-low":

And when questioned directly during the earnings call:

Regarding the warranty issue: Tim Cook Apologizes for China Customer Service
Yes, Apple's overall margin also dropped to 37%. I am not arguing that the iPhone margin is close to last year's margin of 43% or last quarter's margin of 38%, simply that it is closer to the recent quarter. I simply don't think you can get 25.6% margin off of iPhones and still get to 9.2 billion profit and 37% margin. iPad's $436 ASP and 14 million sales only get you 6 billion revenue, a third of the iPhone revenue. You'd need about a 70% margin on iPads to make up the "cost" of iPhone's 25.6% margin's hit on Apple's entire gross margin.

Nicktendo86

So I installed 4.3 on my galaxy nexus today, didn't care that I would lose root as my upgrade is on Thursday so only have to live with it a few more days. Wanted to return to stock so I can sell it anyway.

Wow, 4.3 has made his thing come back from the dead! It really is amazing. All my apps reinstalled ad it is still flying, android has been optimised people.

Groof

So I installed 4.3 on my galaxy nexus today, didn't care that I would lose root as my upgrade is on Thursday so only have to live with it a few more days. Wanted to return to stock so I can sell it anyway.

Wow, 4.3 has made his thing come back from the dead! It really is amazing. All my apps reinstalled ad it is still flying, android has been optimised people.

This is like the second coming of Christ!

kehs

Banned

Really? Can't wait to get it updated on my Dads phone then, every time I grab it it's so...ugh

vdlow

My Nexus 7 sure is faster after the 4.3 update. In the beginning I thought it was placebo, but it seems that this is the real deal. Android 4.3 is here to save the world!

snacknuts

we all knew her
I see how it is, guys. Completely ignore my attempt to start a conversation about the Moto X.

Harumph.

I can't wait for Thursday!

Have I completely missed them, or are there no images floating around online that have been taken with the new Droids? I really want to see what kind of image quality they offer, as I suspect the X will have the same sensor (unless that ClearPixel stuff turns out to be true).

Groof

My Nexus 7 sure is faster after the 4.3 update. In the beginning I thought it was placebo, but it seems that this is the real deal. Android 4.3 is here to save the world!

One of the N7's biggest problems was solved with 4.3, namely they've finally enabled automatic fstrim when certain conditions are met. This is basically what apps like lagfix did to make the N7 smooth again, but now it's enabled on an OS level.
Still though, some things like shoddy hardware can't be fixed.

kehs

Banned
I see how it is, guys. Completely ignore my attempt to start a conversation about the Moto X.

Harumph.

Well be taking about the motox for the next two years as the defacto phone.

I actually keep wanting to post about it, but I know pyro, unknown, shin, and faceless are gonna shit all over it.

/teamx

Well be taking about the motox for the next two years as the defacto phone.

I actually keep wanting to post about it, but I know pyro, unknown, shin, and faceless are gonna shit all over it.

/teamx

They are simply afraid of our new Motorola overlords. And not helped by the principal cheerleader of said phone being a bit of a nutter :-/

Groof

Unless the Moto X offers the exact same customisation options worldwide there's no way Motorola will even make a dent in the global market.

This is why Taylor is a terrible journalist, but a great enthusiast. He wants to believe, so he promotes an unverified rumour, before verifying it, but with the caveat of saying he's yet to verify it.

I'd quite like it if the Moon actually was made of Cheese, but I'd be damn sure to check it before I go around telling everyone about this possibility, even though I admit upfront to everyone that I could be totally wrong. If you pull this stuff often enough, you lose peoples trust and respect. This is why he has little credibility in spite of sometimes getting his stuff right. He constantly gambles that there might be some small truth and therefore it's worthwhile posting it, just in case it might be "right". The problem is his instincts have proven to be embarrassingly faulty in the past.

vdlow

One of the N7's biggest problems was solved with 4.3, namely they've finally enabled automatic fstrim when certain conditions are met. This is basically what apps like lagfix did to make the N7 smooth again, but now it's enabled on an OS level.
Still though, some things like shoddy hardware can't be fixed.

Yeah, but at least for me the update is enough to make me wait a bit more (next year) before buying a new tablet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why would you want the moon to be made of cheese

Yeah, but at least for me the update is enough to make me wait a bit more (next year) before buying a new tablet.

It definitely isn't as laggy as it used to be, but the frame rate is still highly variable and very noticeable when pulling down the notification shade. Between a combination of Tegra and cheap RAM it lead to terrible i/o performance. I really like my Nexus 7, however the 2013 would appear to destroy it and rightly so.

The 2014 version can up the build materials and slim down the top and bottom bezels. Then you've pretty much got the perfect tablet. I'm not sure there is much room for improvement in screen quality, so the improvements will need to come in other places.

Why would you want the moon to be made of cheese

I really like Cheesecake, so if the Moon was made of cream cheese, then adding a crumbly biscuit base would be heavenly. Pun intended.

Groof

It definitely isn't as laggy as it used to be, but the frame rate is still highly variable and very noticeable when pulling down the notification shade. Between a combination of Tegra and cheap RAM it lead to terrible i/o performance. I really like my Nexus 7, however the 2013 would appear to destroy it and rightly so.

The 2014 version can up the build materials and slim down the top and bottom bezels. Then you've pretty much got the perfect tablet. I'm not sure there is much room for improvement in screen quality, so the improvements will need to come in other places.

Agreed. And even when playing (fairly) simple games like Cook, Serve, Delicious! I can notice the framerate take a hit at times, especially when I get notifications.

reKon

Banned
I honestly think this combo of S4 Pro + 2 GB rom is future proof enough and will not have any issues handling KLP or probably even the version after that. When the Galaxy Nexus came out, we were just seeing ICS for the first time, a major upgrade of the Android OS. We saw improvements, which resulted in Jellybean and it was nice seeing that on the Galaxy Nexus. Things were smooth and speedy, which I've enjoyed, but I noticed that the only time it would lag tremendously is when I was downloading/installing apps while using the phone. To me that was the test of true multitasking and on Galaxy Nexus it failed that.

Since I've gotten the HTC One, I've seen how beastly the S600 with its 2 GB of DDR2 ram. It doesn't lag...ever. I've installed/downloaded apps while browsing and streaming music from Google Music. There wasn't ever a hiccup. The times I have seen frame rate drops that were actually noticeable were when moving from the apps to widgets tab within Nova Launcher. I think that more has to do with Nova Launcher optimization and not the hardware itself. On Sense 5 everything is smooth and I've never seen a frame rate drop

Because the Nexus 7 CPU is basically an underclocked S600, we're still getting a great, very capable CPU that will provide great performance for a long time + 2 GB of DDR3 ram. Asus resolved the memory issues that have plagued 1st gen users in the past so I think that as long as the QC on the 2013 Nexus 7s is solid, a ton of people will be happy. Qualcomm is doing a very good job with their mobile hardware and it's showing in real life usage.

I'm very interested in seeing what the competition brings to the table now. I would assume that Amazon will just opt to get a qualcomm processor in their tablet and in the past, they haven't really skimped out in delivering a quality tablet in the past hardware wise (their limitation has is been in their shitty software). They're now going to be selling both their own pride and joy and the 2nd gen Nexus 7 in their store, so they will have to bring it. As for the iPad Mini, the only thing I will envy about that tablet is I'd prefer that size of a tablet. There's no way that thing will not have a high res display at this point, so I'm more interested in seeing if they try to make it a high spec'd beast.

My N4 seems to be more prone to having the on screen button animations freeze/lag now. Especially when I hit the multitasking or home button. Anyone else?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
In retrospect, it's amazing how Nvidia has gone from hero to zero since the Tegra 3. The Tegra 4 will be mostly irrelevant by the time it gets into the market.

In retrospect, it's amazing how Nvidia has gone from hero to zero since the Tegra 3. The Tegra 4 will be mostly irrelevant by the time it gets into the market.

Yup. Apparently a classic case of over promising, but under delivering. Their hope for salvation will probably come next year when they are due to release insanely powerful mobile GPU's embedded in their chips which make everything else look laughable - but it could well be the usual Nvidia hype/PR machine talking.

Korosenai

I've got a question concerning downloaded pictures on my phone. Everytime I download a picture from Chrome on my s4, it takes it about ten minutes to show up in my gallery. It's weird because I know it finished downloading through my notifications and i can look at the file under my files in the download folder. Anyone know whats wrong, or is this just normal?

I've got a question concerning downloaded pictures on my phone. Everytime I download a picture from Chrome on my s4, it takes it about ten minutes to show up in my gallery. It's weird because I know it finished downloading through my notifications and i can look at the file under my files in the download folder. Anyone know whats wrong, or is this just normal?

Not normal at all. Try downloading a replacement gallery from the Play Store, as I suspect the issue is with your gallery and that will serve as a test to expose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom